Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf

Comments

• adg44adg44 Posts: 385
    VW Golf Experience? What's that about...

I remember when they made a new VW Golf topic a few years back, but they spelled it Volkswagon and had to shut it down and then this was created, but with only VW. ;)
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    adg44 - Yes, you're correct about the title edit. Just trying to inspire some thoughts here. So do you or Vocus have any experiences or information about the VW Golf you'd like to share? Do you know of any upcoming changes for 2004? ;-)

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
    :)

From what I understand, there aren't any signifcant changes for 04 for the Golf.
  • I have been experiencing some strange noise. Every time I have one rear window down (while all other 3 windows are close) I hear some noise like "popopo" and it is very loud. I bought the car to the dealer and the guy told me that was just wind noise caused by difference air pressure and ALL GOLF DOES THAT. Can anyone please confirm that. Do you experience the same noise ?

Thanks
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    I had a Golf that did exactly that. Just open another window a bit and the noise will go away.

My Toyota Echo does the same thing and it is very annoying but it goes away opening the opposite window (s) slightly. It is just the wind creating a certain harmonic vibration of the air inside the car and it happens to be low frequency and quite loud.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Every car I have ever owned had that noice. Whether it was my '93 Corolla or my wifes 2002 Tahoe.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    I had to drop $440 into my 2001 Golf yesterday, to replace an oil pan at 45,000 miles - the bolt was stripped. Since VW dealers are always overbooked, I have been taking my car to oil change centers for the oil changes.

At first I blamed the oil change centers for overtightening the drain bolt - which may still be the case - but also I found out at the VW dealer that they replace not just the washer, but the entire drain bolt, at every oil change (the bolt is about a $3.00 item at the parts counter; the washer is snug to the bolt and won't slip off the threads. The bolt has a special surface treatment, anti-seizure.

I guess I am going to revert to 5,000 mile oil changes again (so I don't have to replace as many drain bolts - I bought 5) and count on the fact that I will be adding two quarts during that 5,000 miles to take care of the oil issue (the crankcase holds 5 quarts, it's not like one of those 3.5 quart Japanese crankcases). I will run conventional oil (SL seems pretty decent these days) not synthetic. Let's see what happens. I am definitely going to tell the oil shops to go easy on tightening the bolt and will get back the old bolt each time. I may even get a torque wrench and carry it around (the service rep said 22 ftpounds is the magic number).
    Just make it snug.... it's a 19mm also.

The one time I let the dealer do my oil, Fairfax VW tightens it so much it is torn to shreds, and then tells me to get lost and make me pay for a replacement oil pan.

You are just best doing everything yourself. Luckilly I got a hookup on a new oil pan and it only cost me about $200 installed.

Gotta be careful with those aluminum bolts though.

Good luck.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    That's in all VWs. You open just the back windows of any VW on the highway and your ears are guaranteed to bleed. Trust me, it's really bad. Totally normal though, funky aerodynamics. :)
  • Hey All,
       I bought a 2003 VW GLS in April I have liked my car up until 3 weeks ago. Lets see My rear emblem on the Trunk/hatch the rubber seal started to crack. It was replaced at the dealership but they scratched the paint. One week ago I was showing my friend my car and I opened the hatch and I had massive water droplets on the two metal pieces in the truck, turns out my rear windshield wiper has a leak around the motor so they had to reseal it. Next my doors when opened then closed in a heavy rain allow water droplets to come in and drip down onto my door handles inside my car. My car is suppose to be water tight! I live on the west coast of Canada where we get alot of rain this shouldn't be happening. I was told at the dealership that the rubber above my door jam is flawed a defect from how the car is made and I'll have to live with the rain dripping in. My car is going in tomorrow for them to have it again to deal with this whole water issue and the doors. Lets just say if they can't fix it VW Canada will be getting a massive earful over this.

NOW other than all the above my car have some great points, heated seats, fun to drive, hugs the road like no tomorrow, sporty looking etc...

Here's hope the above gets resolved in a timely manner and I don't have anymore problems with this car because I bought it with the intentions of keeping it for the next 10-12 years.
    Excellent car (this is my 44,000 mile summary report) with low maintenance.

During my ownership (all 44,000 miles since new) I had very few issues with the car:

1. Disc brakes are a little "grabby" but you quickly get used to moderateing your pedal pressure, and they are ABS so there is no skid risk anyway.

2. The engine revs very high on the freeway. This may impact gas mileage (the EPA ratings are low) but in reality I got 30 mpg very consistently, except on interstate runs at 80+ mph where it could drop to 28 mpg or even as low as 26 when I was being a really bad boy. The plus of having the engine in the rev range, is that it is incredibly responsive on the freeway, no downshifts required! Good passing power on the mountains, despite the theoretically low 115 horsepower rating.

3. Even with 3,000 mile oil changes, I had to add a quart of oil between changes. This is normal I am told, and it never bothered me. Guys are used to checking oil levels, which is ok, but women buying this car need to learn new habits.

4. Stock suspension is too soft. Added Tokico shocks. No good - too hard, not worth the slight improvement in handling. Also at one point had Eibach Pro Kit springs on together with the Tokico, and it handled great, but knocked the fillings out of my teeth (I elected to keep the Tokicos and ditch the Eibachs, but may have been better keeping the stock shocks and the Eibachs).

5. Interior is outstanding. However, it is less spacious than the Focus ZX3 and my right leg kept bumping into the center console. These issues will probably be resolved with the 2005. Hopefully VW will leapfrog over the excellent Focus ZX3 instead of just catching up.

6. Stock tires are outstanding (Goodyear LS). Don't believe what you read. Dunlop Sport A2's, added at 25,000 miles when I changed struts, DON'T perform any better and squeal on mountain curves.

7. OUTSTANDING storage room under the hatch.

8. I thought the "pop up" seat feature - for rear access in the two door - was very nifty at first, but practically speaking the headrests limited the ability of the seat to flip forward so it isn't really much better than the normal type of stays down, seat back flips forward entry.

9. Adjustable seat heights on both sides OUTSTANDING _but_ the forward/rear slide increments - how far you have to move the seat when adjusting it before it "clicks" into a slot - are too far. With a stick, I couldn't get a good fore/aft set up so I could both use the clutch easily and the accelerator pedal. Maybe the set up on the pedals is responsibly. I don't have this problem on my Focus ZX3.

10. Cabin is quiet, but motor drones - either the converter or the muffler - at speed. The drone is annoying.

11. VW finally installs CD's. Mine is a cassette - in 2001! Dark ages...

12. VW could learn dash layout from Honda. It's not intuitive where the air conditioner button is, ditto on other controls.

13. The angle on the windhield makes this car very prone to rock chips on the windshield. But maybe I just had bad luck....

14. Daytime running lights are great.

15. Did I mention the interior is really classy? The body color, heated outside mirrors?

16. BIGGEST DISLIKE: impossible to get decent dealer service appointments. Overloaded dealer service. VW "shrank back" during the horrible 80's. In the 90's their cars improved, sales skyrocketed, and they didn't do a damn thing about the overwhelmed service departments.

17. The Platinum Extended Warranty is a great idea, since VW's are rated worse than American cars in running gear glitches (they will run forever, if you are willing to work through the glitches - they are solidly made, just poor quality control). However, the VW Platinum Warranty will only kick in when the car is actually dead. In my case, with check engine light on, car missing - but won't reproduce the missing for the dealer - sorry, wait until it breaks down! Shocking...

My actual repair issues were minor, plus one heartbreak. I needed two headlamp bulbs, one side marker light wasn't water tight. That's it - except I had to replace the oil pan, because since I couldn't get my car in for service, I had Walmart change the oil and eventually they stripped the bolt/pan. Turns out VW actually recommends replacing the oil pan bolt AT EVERY OIL CHANGE - the whole bolt, not just the washer - so maybe Walmart wasn't solely responsible. Keep that in mind if you don't get dealer services.

Secondly, at 20,000 miles I had a total power interruption while driving 70 mph - like someone switched off the lights, then right away back on. No check engine codes. Dealer couldn't do anything.

At 42000 miles, right after the 40000 major tuneup, I started having power loss at high altitude. I thought it might be vapor lock.

At 45,000 miles, at ground level, the car started bucking and missing - the check engine light came on. I took it home, parked it all week, and took it to the dealer on the weekend. They confirmed a multi cylinder miss, and a miss on the third cylinder, but checked the plugs, wires (I think it was a cursory check) and claimed they couldn't find a problem, and the Platinum warranty wouldn't allow them to just swap in a new ECM (engine control module) for example to try to isiolate the problem.

Disgusted with the inability of the dealer, after arguing with them, to fix the car, I traded it in on another car a couple of weekends later. I hated to do this, but while I don't mind glitches, I do mind not being able to fix them. I am sure if I were driving to the mountains or 200 miles between cities on the interstate, or even in the commute traffic, and the car totally failed (which I believe was what would eventually happen), I wouldn't be a happy camper.

I will still look at the 2005 when it comes out, although given VW's general quality control problems over the years (I had a 67 - zero defects; an 83 GTI - a Fiat in disguise, in terms of glitches; and an 86 - engine knocking problem), I wouldn't feel comfortable buying during the first year.

So, in my humble opinion, VW is THE small car in terms of design and drivability, but could benefit from better mechanical quality and certainly needs better dealer service and a better response from VW corporate when major issues like the over-spark plug coils on the turbos started failing....
    Cordialtea said: "Next my doors when opened then closed in a heavy rain allow water droplets to come in and drip down onto my door handles inside my car."

I had this problem too, the dealer was in denial about it, but it didn't recur all the time - only in torrential rain. But then I live in sunny California.
    You forgot to tell us what you ended up buying??
    ...but its American, not Korean, and cost under 11k with a 5 speed and air and cd.
    Chevrolet Cavalier????
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    embarassed about. The Cavalier is an inexpensive, fairly reliable car. You can find parts for it everywhere and they are cheap. There is also the pleasure of having low monthly loan payments. What's not to like?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm....where do I start.

Only kidding. There is allot to say about a low monthly payment. Also, GM sells tons of Cavaliers, so for those in the market for a cheap, fairly reliable car with a plentiful supply of parts....this car fits the bill.

Though it aint no Jetta!!!!!
    A 2004 Cavalier!!!! I actually think that a fairly good looking car. For the price you got.....you couldn't go wrong. Someone I work with bought their daughter a 2000 rental Cavalier. I have ridden in it several times and it does seem a little crude to me as far as NVH goes. But, overall I think its a solid car.

I hope you enjoy your new ride.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The Cavalier is a nice car if you wanna save alot of cash. I would have probably have gone for a Neon, only because it's a newer design. The Ecotec engine is nice in the Cav though, and the parts are pretty cheap to boot. It ain't no VW though, but still a nice basic car.

Good luck with the new ride!
    Thanks Fish8. I think it looks much better this year. Like you all said, its no VW, but there are a lot of dealers. NVH is significantly higher on acceleration, but lower at cruise (3000 rpm vs. 4000 rpm at 80 mph). The engine is much stronger.

Obviously the 2005 Golf is going to be the test. I wasn't that happy with the 2.0 when I bought the car - turned out to be a strong performer, but quite frankly 115 hp and 8 valves isn't that impressive these days. Neither is the rated mpg (I beat it, getting 30 mpg consistenly, except on insterstate runs when it dipped a couple of mpg). The Cav is delivering around 35 mpg consistently.

Question is what I do in 2006 (after the version 5 Golf has been seasoned one year). Will the "base" model be a steal? Or will the turbo GTi be tempting? Where will VW be in terms of sales and reputation? GM quality is rising (but perceived as lower than it is) while VW has taken some blows (lack of readily availalbe dealer service, the turbo spark plug coil fiasco).

Without a doubt though, in interior and exterior appearance, the VW is the "gold standard."