Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf

Comments

• brady2brady2 Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a 2002 1.6 Golf, mileage 16K
    The car has fire damage to the rear of the car and some blistering on the right rear passenger door & wheel. The cause was due to a car next to it on fire, the intensity of the fire was to melt quite significantly the rear light covers.
    What other unseen damage could this do to the car? Any other electrics/cabling at rear or right back corner of the car.
    Thanks Brady2
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,083
    check the plastic gas tank and plumbing to make sure there are no safety issues.
  • i have a 2001 Golf GL and there is no power going to my radio, its just dead
    can it be the fuse or something?
    please help
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    There is no 2002 1.6 Golf (assuming gas engine only). They came with either the 2.0L four, 1.8T four, or 2.8L VR6.

So I can assume you're referring to the 2.0 Golf?
  • gti_ownergti_owner Posts: 1
    does this MAF sensor happen to have a button on the stalks next to the wheel, i have a mk3 golf gti and found a button on the steering wheel stalks with the letters MFA or MAF, could this be anything to do with your discussion? :confuse: :)
    I do not think so -- I am not sure what button you are talking about... but a MAF is just a sensor that measures airflow entering into the engine. There would be no concevable need to have a button anywhere.
  • chriskingchrisking Posts: 1
    could you please tell me why my vw golf 2.0ltr 8v 1997 keeps cutting out when i pull up to junctions. ive changed the plugs and dizzy cap and new ht leads but it still does it. can you through some light on my problem...???
  • rowergirlrowergirl Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I have a 2005 Golf, automatic. I just took it in for 1st oil change at 5000 miles. I have noticed in the past couple of weeks that sometimes when stepping on the gas that the car hesitates, this has happened from a stop and when stepping it up from around 30 miles per hour. Mentioned this to the dealer and they said that it is just how the computer works?? Does anyone have this problem and can anything be done about it? :confuse:
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Posts: 690
    Check the condition of the ignition coil. If there's a crack in the coil, chances are that may be the problem.
  • firstgearfirstgear Posts: 2
    hi people,
    i'm new to the world of VW Golf but not new to turning wrenches. i just purchased a 94 Golf III. after two days of enjoyment it will not start. the battery is fine and the clutch is firm. i've check the lead to the solenoid and it's NOT hot with switch in on position. should it be hot? if so, if so, is there a relay or connection i should check? the only other things that are strange would be the power moon roof opens but will not close by the switch. my other issues are the trunk which dose not unlock when i unlock the drivers door (with key) nor dose the rear drivers door. could this some how be connected? any clues out there?
    anything constructive info would be greatly appreciated...
  • firstgearfirstgear Posts: 2
    hi
    was your battery disconnected at some point? you may only have to get the radio code from a dealership...:D
  • jlarkinjlarkin Posts: 1
    Help! I'm having the same issue. My check engine light has been on and off for a couple of years. It has failed emissions inspection two years in a row, including this year. Don't ask me how it passed last year, but I think a 1000 dollar bill had something to do with it. BUT -- they didn't replace anything like the mass air flow sensor. I had it in to the dealer a few months ago for a separate problem and one of the "diagnostic codes" revealed a faulty mass air flow sensor. I have spent $1900 on repairs in the last two years and can't afford to spend more. Particularly, after reading your post and having the same problem again. Have you found anything out yet?
  • wetwilliewetwillie Posts: 129
    I had it in to the dealer a few months ago for a separate problem and one of the "diagnostic codes" revealed a faulty mass air flow sensor.

Recall that the MAF will be replaced free of charge. This is VW policy - technically, it's not a recall, however if you have it diagnosed as faulty it will be replaced - free. If it was not, the Dealer is at fault. I've had this done on a 5 yr old Golf with 60K on the clock. I have also had the window regulator stops replaced free of charge, past warranty, under an a similar program.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Your starting problem could be a bad ignition switch or fuel pump relay. Does anything happen at all when you turn the key? Or do just the idiot lights turn on with no clicking noise?

As for the power door lock problem, you probably have a vaccuum leak. These older power lock systems were vaccuum operated. If any kind of air leak occurs, the system won't operate properly. It sounds to me like there is a leak in the line between the rear door and the hatch. I know how frustrating this is because I dealt with the same problem on my friends 88 Jetta.
  • mlib112mlib112 Posts: 1
    Hi-

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on this problem. My problem is with my 2001 VW golf gls (97K miles). I did not use the car for about a week. Then all of the sudden when I started it back up, the EPC light came on. It is not blinking. I needed to drive home from the airport and for the most part the EPC light remained on. The drive was about 2 hours long. There was a stretched of about 5 minutes, right after I got out of the highway, that the EPC light shut off. Then it turned on again for the rest of the ride home. I tried to use the cruise control and it too is not be working. I also noticed that my brake lights did not work unless I turned the headlights on. I think there is a minute decrease in acceleration and power but it is hardly noticeable. Also, I seem to have to press harder on the brakes to get it to stop. I don't know if this is an issue with the power brakes. I have been searching the internet and I have gotten several possible causes (ie O2 sensors, brake light switch and mass airflow). Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    You really need to get the "code" that turned on the EPC light.

Some auto-parts stores will "pull the code" for you free of charge.
  • Just bought one, 2005 GLS 5 spd Manual, 19767 out the door. :-)
    Good luck!
  • abi1abi1 Posts: 1
    I have a VW Golf 1.6 E reg and over the past couple months, I've had a problem with long distance driving. After about half hour on the motor way, my car tends to start "bunny hopping" sometimes it's worse than others... I find that if I have a full tank of petrol it doesn't tend to be a problem, but if I start a journey with half a tank or just slightly under, this will almost certainly happen. This is also more of a problem with hills, although it happens on a straight road too.

If anyone has any thoughts as to what the problem might be or what I can expect to pay to get this sorted, it would be much appreciated! Thanks! :confuse:
  • rmc66rmc66 Posts: 1
    On my 97 Golf I leaned that when you put on a turn signal, then apply the brakes the turn signal stops blinking and the signal light in the dash board stops blinking. Once you take your foot off the brake pedal both start blinking again. I pulled out the bulb housings on both sides and there are no bulbs burnt out.
    Any ideas before having to bring it in to the dealer and spend lots of $$$$$ ?
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,677
    A reporter hopes to interview recent VW or Audi model buyers aged 30-40 who are first time buyers of a VW Group car and willing to discuss their profession/income; and recent VW or Audi buyers aged 30-40 who are repeat buyers of the brand and willing to discuss their profession/income. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Wednesday, July 27, 2005, and provide your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.