Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf

Comments

• nerooonerooo Posts: 2
    hi, i just discovered today the trip\ display screen is blank, doesnt show any information, i have tried resiting etc...but nothing happened, any idea what is the problem.thanks lots. :confuse:
  • nerooonerooo Posts: 2
    i just discovered the trip display screen is blank doesnt work any more on my golf tdi , any help please, i have tried resiting it but seems is frozen. :confuse:
  • I just bought an 87 Golf in pretty good shape. I would like to know if I can swap out the factory grill and rectangular headlights for the GTi grill with round headlights with little to no modifications ? Thanks. Charlie
  • bankmanbankman Posts: 2
    I have just bought an automatic 2003 VW Golf 2.0 Generation. As I am not familiar with this car, just wanted to check with others whether the following is "normal"?;
    - When idling, it revs at around 1,000
    - Seems to switch into 4th (top) gear at around 60km/h where it revs at around 2,000, but when going at 100km/h, the rev counter starts to get towards 2,500-2,750
    - Once going, the temperature gauge basically lives on the halfway point, regardless of speed.

Any thoughts out there?
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,080
    Since the idle is NOT adjustable without a computer connected to it, and yours is not throwing any CEL, I would have to assume the idle speed you are seeing is normal.

I can tell you that it is normal for the temp guage to stay at 190 (straight up) all the time when at operating temp. The cooling system on VW engines is "bypass" type which is VERY good a maintaining consistant engine temp.
  • bankmanbankman Posts: 2
    Well bpeebles,

Something was definetly wrong. ONly a few weeks later, the engine light is on (continuously) and theres a definite problem with the gear changes (yes, its automatic) - it feels like its 'slipping' into the wrong gear occassionally, and sometimes does not have the power to get up hills.

I found all this out on a long trip and had to nurse it all the way home.
    Next stop...the mechanics.
  • Anyone have an opinion on which is the better buy? I have a budget of 10k... I owned the 1997 VW_Golf and drove it until the wheels fell off. I drove that poor car to death. I love the feel of a VW but think the interior of the Mini is sooo cool, gadget wize. ;)
  • seamistseamist Posts: 4
    Didn't read all the posts, but I just had that fixed. Do you have a sunroof? There are two drain holes that can get plugged in the edges of it and drain out near the bottom of the front of the front doors. Take an air comressor hose with a blow gun and blow out the hole. That fixed mine in about 5 minutes.
  • Sorry I'm not technical and would like your help.
    My display has just gone blank today, I was hoping it is just a fuse but haven't a clue really.
    Can I ask if you had any joy, or know what the problem could be?
    Appreciate any help/pointers you can give.
  • Hey guys I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the 05 Golf GL ...solid car or what? A local dealer is selling one from VW Canada for just under $8 grand with only 59,000km. I took the car out for a test drive and it felt very solid and they have done an outstanding job keeping it great condition. I am going to have my mechanic have a look over but does anyone have any thoughts on this car be it positive or negative. Thanks for the input guys.
  • Get a diesel! You get more zip, 40-50 mpg, and it will run on biodiesel (even treated used ff grease). Best to get 2005 1/2 (first half of 2006 before the ultra-low sulfur engine). I installed a HHO system in mine and although the fuel mileage is the same I have a RACE CAR! The engine will last forever and it purrs very quietly. The exhaust doesn't stink like the inefficient pickup ones do. The interior is nice, quiet, solid, and converts to a wagon while still looking sporty. So to answer your question, yes and no. Be picky! Get a diesel or don't bother. :blush:
    I beleive you will find most folks that follow the VW forums may feel positive.

I can tell you we have several VWs in the family... both of my daughters drive VWs. My one daughter drives the wheels off of her little Gulf. She drove from Montrial Canada to NorthCaralina back to Vermont this summer. With over 130K miles on it... it keeps on running.

You did not say which engine it has... that may tend to sway some folks one way or another.

The 12-year/unlimited milage corrosion warantee is a HUGE plus for me. (I am in Vermont where they use a lot of roadsalt)
  • It the 2.0L 4 banger. It really is just for getting back and forth to university and such. The diesels really carry a premium with them, one which I am fairly certain I'm not willing to spend.

Any other experiences/thoughts?

Thanks for the replies.
  • The car was working fine and then just one time i went to start it just wont go. It turns over, just wont start. It was making some noises so i think the fuel pump may have gone bad, but i changed the in tank and still no different....HELP!
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    Not too many changes for the Golf for 2011. The real changes are mainly in the electronics. A new Bluetooth kit is coming out that is fully integrated within the MFD display and can do A2DP. It's not a Skoda unit with A2DP. It's made by a different vendor and can integrate within the RNS-510, with Skoda like menus. It's standard on all TDI's but optional on the 2.5.

The Nav is now only $590, but they cheapened it and used a unit with a smaller screen, though you can retrofit an RNS-510 if you desire. The new unit is called RNS-315 and it's similar to the European RNS-310 but is for the US market. Not a whole lot of changes but more later.
  • bdesaibdesai Posts: 24
    I have ordered a 2011 reflex silver Golf TDI, 4dr, Manual. My dealer does not know the build date but says that it will probably be late August/early Sept before I get delivery. I am itching to get it though. Any ideas out there as to when to expect the first 2011 TDIs?? Also, I had to put 500 bucks down and am paying sticker price.
    edited July 2010
    I hope your dealer told you that there is no such thing as "ordering" a Volkswagen. (Not in the same sense as you can "order" an American-branded vehicle with every nuance of features your heart desires)

Instead, with VW, you can submit a 'request' for a specific combination of features (color, engine, xmission.... etc) When (if) the factory produces one which meets your requirements, then it will be tagged to be shipped to your dealer.

Beware!! I had a dealer take my down-payment and after I waited for several months, he admited that he never really submitted my 'request'. He then tried to 'push' me into a car from his lot. I got my money back and went to another VW dealer who was able to get the EXACT vehicle I wanted within several days by 'swapping' with another dealership.
  • 2011 EPA ratings are up nicely on the 2.5s. Do people buy TDIs knowing or not knowing about the fuel pump problem? It can completely blow the engine.
    Can you please elaborate on the "Fuel Pump Problem"? Can you also provide some weblinks to your references so we can read about it ourselves? (I could not find it on the NHTSA website)

Personally, I cannot understand how a bad fuelpump can 'blow' a diesel engine... would not the engine just stop running? (no perminant damage)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    How'd they do it? The hwy mpg for the 2.5 went from 30 to 33 mpg.

My kid is buying a 2010, losing out on the mpg but getting the $1500 dealer incentive and $300 below invoice, probably saving $2000 over a 2011. $2000 buys a lot of gas.