Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Terrain

Comments

• I told them after 4
  • Back to the shop again today. :sick: My oil level on Friday was reading 65%. I just had the oil cap replaced because I notice a knocking then saw a oil on the ground where my Terrain was parked. That was the week of Jan 28. Then on Friday Feb. 8 my oil level was at 65% oil life. Today my oil life is at 60% with knocking. This is a drain of my energy and time. Like I previously stated can't be making car notes plus repairs. How can a car be deemed and sold as certiifed and have these many ISSUES. I have gone to the repair center so many times that when I call they know my voice. SMH
  • I've also had several of the same problems with my 2010 Terrain. It started with 4 or 5 sensors burning out. Those were not under warranty. Then while under the powertrain warranty, the timing belt snapped and I had to be towed. Thankfully, it took a few days to fix and was provided a rental vehicle. While approaching my 100,000 mile mark, I noticed that the engine was consuming oil. It wasn't leaking and it wasn't burning it. Three weeks ago, I had to have the fuel pump replaced. That was $620 and had to pop for $40 on a rental vehicle. Now, the vehicle is back in the shop. A call from the service manager tonight indicated that there were about 4 or 5 things registering on the computer. All I could make out was something with the cam actuators. Funny thing is, a girl at work had a 2010 Terrain like mine, but when it started acting up, she traded it for a Ford. Now I get to sit at home, not go into work, and wait to see what this next repair is going to cost. Lesson learned. I've owned 3 vehicles in the last 23 years. The Mitsubishi and Nissan I had 10 years each and racked up over 150,000 miles on each. I don't think this GMC is going to make it that long and surely not for the life of the loan. Sad thing is, I'm only at 110,000 miles. These things should not be going wrong.
  • Sounds like the Terrain is not a built to last car. As of today, mine still sits in the shop. Haven't heard anything today from dealership. They called Friday and said it DID "look like" the transmission AGAIN...this time being the torque converter. (Apparently NOT the cam actuator as i was originally told) They just "rebuilt"my transmission less than a month ago. At that time I was told I had 12,000 miles warranty on my transmission. When I asked if it was covered, I was told "Ill have to talk with such and such and see what we can work out since it was just in here!" Really??? Work something out?? Yeah Prob out of my pocket!! It's ridiculous to buy an almost $30,000 car and have major engine issues in less than 3 yrs!! I too have had cars with ALOt more miles than 100,000 and NEVER had this trouble!! Needless to say I have been car shopping over the weekend and NOT for a GMC!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    lpmusick,

Keep us updated on your progress at the dealership! If you want for us to check into anything, be sure to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Bought a Certified GMC Terrain experiencing major hesitation, indicator light, and service StabiliTrack light on - please tell me this apparently common issue is repairable and covered under warranty! Love this vehicle but makes me sick to read these problems are typical for the Terrain. This is my first vehicle purchase! Ugh:/
  • I've been going through these issues with the Terrain for over 9 months. Now, I'm in the process of an oil consumption test to see if the entire engine needs replaced. I am taking the vehicle back to the dealership once a week for awhile to let them monitor the oil consumption. If it's greater than it should be, the engine needs replaced. At this point, with over 100,000 miles on it, it's uncertain if GM is going to stand behind this repair. If I were you, I'd take the vehicle back. Hopefully, you have the 10 day clause to negate the sale unless you bought it off an individual. Then, you may be out of luck.
    I will say, however, if it weren't for these issues, I also love this vehicle. The ride, the handling, the comfort are unsurpassed compared to other vehicles I have owned and driven.
  • So sorry to read about the issues you are having... I bought from a GMC Dealer in Michigan - I live in Ohio. My husband called this morning and we are waiting to hear back from them. I am hoping for a good outcome with GMC's "No Worries" policy.
    I'm majorly bummed I've been wanting to buy the Terrain for the past couple years and finally found what I thought was a nice one that I could afford and now nothing but disappointment thus far! :( all I can do is hope for the best.
    I would think GMC is aware of these common problems with their vehicles and would be more than willing to make it right.
    Best of luck to you
  • bwall2bwall2 Posts: 30
    If you can take it back and negate the sale, do it. I have a 2011 - wish I could have negated this sale after buying it. I bought it new and really despise the issues that we have had with it. It is the worst GM product we have ever had - and it will obviously be the last one we ever have. Unfortunately, at 63 years of age, I am now stuck with keeping it since it is worth so little.
    Good morning pgill71,
    We're sorry that you're experiencing these troubles on your Terrain. Have you already begun working with your dealership to get this resolved? Let us know if you have any questions (we can, for example, check into warranty information with the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage). Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com .

• I don't think I can take it back. According to my loan papers it states there is a "No Cooling Down" once I sign I can't change my mind. I just dropped it of at our local Certified Dealer - he didn't seemed surprised at all. I'm just heart broken over the issues, this truly was my dream vehicle - I hope it all works out. Thanks for the advice but I'm afraid I'm in for it now. :(
  • GMC Service says the high pressure fuel pump needs replaced thus causing all the problems. Apparently fuel is mixing with the oil?? I'm picking it up tomorrow after work. Fingers crossed!
  • I purchased a 2012 Terrain just over a year ago. Starting mid December 2012 it has been in the shop 4 times for the same issue without identifying what is causing it. The vehicle misfires causing the vehicle to shake and flash the CEL and the Service Stabilitrak Light. The misfires have happened on different cylinders. So far 4 of the 6 coils have been replaced. Dealership told me they were denied by GM to replace all of the coils at the same time. With the current trend the vehicle will be in the shop again in a week. I have been in contact with GM service representatives, or shall I say lack of. I have called my representative and the main line over 7 times the past week and have not received a call back. GM has horrible customer service and does not care about anything other then themselves. This was my first american car and has also been the only car that has been to the shop. So disappointed. I am taking action under the Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act to get a refund. I wouldn't even want to venture with replacement option of this act. I advice anyone else having these issues to do the same. Stop supporting a company that doesn't care about you after you purchase a vehicle. 711148526449
    edited February 2013
    Our apologies that Linda hasn't contacted you back yet, saschmitz (I looked up the file number provided in your post). I will add information from your post to the documentation in the case and let her know you're looking to hear back from her.

Sarah, GM customer Service
  • Sad to say after 2 weeks in the shop "again" after my last post I finally got my car back. Torque converter and drive train failure with 101,600 miles on it AFTER a rebuild 3 weeks prior due to broken wave plate. After contacting GM and my dealership did as well, my car now has a "new" " remanufactured" GM transmission!! Thankfully due to the amount of trouble and repairs I have had on this car and the transmission GM covered it! Only catch was a free 12mth 12,000 mile warranty or for $500 I could get a 36 month 100,000 mile warranty. I drive 120 miles a day to work round trip so I HAD to go for the 100,000 miles. Again luckily my dealership offered to pay 1/2 of the $500. I want to trade it off due to the fact I dont trust it anymore but I am almost $3000-$4000 upside down in my loan!! Can't do that! Still disappointed in this car but glad to see GM will stand behind their products. (For my case anyway). And kudos to my dealerships service department y Bob CLyse in Ironton Ohio. Next car will be from them only NOT a GMC!! Your service department is a big selling point for my car purchases and this one speaks volumes!!
  • bwall2bwall2 Posts: 30
    It is a disgusting vehicle - and GM does not care if you or anyone else has a problem.

Good luck getting something back - I hope you can do it. I only wish I could have - but now am stuck with this terrible vehicle.

I don't have an extended warranty - the non-American vehicles I have had just run without any issues. My Toyota Camry Hybrid has 94,000 miles; only replaced the tires! It just runs!
  • We are having the same problem with our 2010 4cyl. Terrain. Picked up terrain from service. Was told it was almost 4 qts low only after about 3.000 miles on oil change. was told we should check oil after each fuel addition. That is ridiculous. Oil had blown back into filter and other places. They said they replaced water pump shaft, timing chain. We had had the car for 3 years and this has not been a problem before. Our check engine light goes on and off intermittenly. we received a letter last week for an upgrade and was then told about checking oil. Why were we told this now,
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,183
    Sounds like you may have one of the bad engines. Since its a known problem with some you should be requesting an oil consumption test with dealer, little annoying but may result in getting a new engine (minus the oil problem). The letter is to address a change in oil life monitor program which is different then oil level ( The OLM doesn't have anything to do with amount of oil in engine)
    esullivan,

Have you had your dealership do an oil consumption test on your vehicle? Let us know if you would like for us to check into anything for you by emailing us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• We talked last night with someone from gm who was supposed to contact the dealership. We are just now requesting that they do a test.