Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Terrain

Comments

• It's a possibility that these systems may need an update, although your dealership would know for sure. Were you planning on visiting them?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Neither Sarah nor Christine from GM Customer Service have contacted me. The problem with my 2010 Terrain continues and the white vertical line could certainly obstruct my view of a child in the blind spot behind my vehicle.
    I am hopeful that other GM owners who have rear vision (back-up) cameras will post; hopefully offering solutions. I have had the camera replaced but the problem persists. Suppliers of after-market units indicate that there may be a CCD or CMOS sensor unit fault. I have experimented with tape on the chrome and a home-made lens hood -- not a solution.
    My vertical white line suddenly appeared after two years and my dealer tells me that I am the first vehicle they have seen with what GM's service bulletin calls a "normal condition" -- will all GM vehicles suffer this safety feature failure?
    Naturally, I want my Terrain fixed under warranty; I echo statements from Australia about how these cameras are saving the lives of children.
    Please, GM, let's get a fix. :)
  • bwall2bwall2 Posts: 30
    Best thing you can do is avoid ever buying this vehicle. I bought the 2011 Terrain with 4 cyl engine - "to get the best gas mileage." There should be a class action suit against GM for this vehicle. I have had lots of cars over the years (I am 62) and this is the worst situation to be in. If GM is working on a fix for the horrible gas mileage, I sure would like to know.
    I think it would be easy today to "tweet" and "facebook" customers who own this vehicle and pull a class action suit together.
  • I'm sorry about the lapse in communication on our end; would you try perhaps resending your email? We'd like to look into this with you!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Yes, I have an appoinntment in a couple weeks.
  • Terrain owners should unite. Honda just lost a lawsuit where there car did not meet the sticker EPA mileage.
  • Very good! Please be sure to keep us updated, and let us know if we can be of any assistance.
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mseramsera Posts: 23
    4 cyl ecotec. Should I really wait till the computer says the oil life is done , Im at 5200 miles and at this rate it will be 9k miles when the car indicates its ready for a change. Really,Even for the 1st change I should wait till the computer tells me ? I know its synthetic oil but I am used to getting changed at 3k miles. Of course like others I just got the cold start tapping noise for three seonds....
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,257
    For the first change I would go now
  • Two things I would check now
    1. Ask your dealer to look at your vin # and see if it is covered by any recalls for camshaft position actuator solenoid valves and update PCM calibration per campagin recall 11195 (I had this done on mine and no more noise after 8000 miles additional).
    2. Get your oil changed immediately after #1 is done and if they don't do #1, change your oil anyhow and make sure you use Dexos spec oil as this is a blend of synthetic/dino oil or use full synthetic, your choice.

Hope this helps and good luck. :shades:
    BTW. Does anyone know as fact if the factory fills with full synthetic oil or a synthetic blend. If I need to top off i want it to be the right stuff.
  • If you need to "top it off" you have a bigger problem then just needing to know what to top it off with. New cars do not need to be topped of unless you are leaking some or burning some off.
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 191
    Factory fill is most likely a blend. Can't see GM spending the extra on a full synthetic plus the specs are for a blend.

FWIW I'll be using Pennzoil Platinum, a full synthetic in my 4cyl. 2012.

Here's a list of GM approved oils. http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands.html
    Dealer has performed the recall. They have done the PCM reprogram and the next course of action is the actuators if I encounter any more problems. Knowing I have 4.5 years and 95 K left on the Powertrain warranty, Im ok with that.
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Posts: 114
    wife and i are comparing the terrain and nox . we have notice if you compare a 2LT nox with a sle2 terrain with the same equipment the terrain is about $400 more. what does the terrain have on it that makes it $400 more?
    edited March 2012
    Stay away from both of them. The gas mileage is horrible - check out the Honda CRV - better value, better gas mileage, better vehicle all the way around.

I have the 2011 Terrain - suppose to get 32 mpg - not even close on the highway! Biggest mistake I made in a long time!
    Someone contacted (from some country?) me regarding my comments on gas mileage for the 2011 Terrain - could not understand the phone number or name that he left. If someone is monitoring this from GMC, let me know how to get in touch with someone - would enjoy talking about how poor this vehicle is on gas mileage. Best mileage I get with it is when I am towing it behind my motorhome....I think it does 32 mpg then!
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Posts: 114
    we looked at a crv and didn't like it at all
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning,
    You can either contact us via the email addresses provided in my profile here on the forum or you can call the GMC Customer Assistance Center at 800-462-8782 (Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm EST; Closed Sunday).
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • flandrewflandrew Posts: 5
    Sarah,

Not sure if this is still proprietary at this point, but can find out if the Denali Trim is expected to add rear air vents? Considering a Terrain. Thanks.

Thanks.
    Good afternoon,

This is a great question! At this time, I don't have much information on the 2013 Terrain Denali that will be out later this year. I will keep an eye out for any updates, though, and will get back if I near anything!

Sarah
    GM Customer service
  • sundohiosundohio Posts: 4
    I purchased my Terrain almost a year ago. I've had the same problems almost the whole time. When I start it, it sounds like I'm holding the key on, a grinding/rattling noise. Also, while idling, occasionally the RPM's dip below 600 and it sounds like it is going to stall. It used to stall every morning but they replaced the camshaft position solenoid valves.

My concern is what these issues are doing to the vehicle long term. I've contacted both GM and BBB and no one is familiar with the issues. I've had it in for service numerous times but they haven't been able to "duplicate" the problem. I was just curious if anyone else has had similar issues. Thanks!
    Hello sundohio,

You stated in your post that you contacted GM; did you receive a case number from us (71-**********)? We'd be happy to check in on the case if you like.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Sarah,

I do have a case number and someone I'm communicating with. I recently found a group of people who are having a similar problem. They had a video of it and I sent it to the tech @ the dealership. I'm hoping they can diagnose the problem from it. Thanks.
    Great news! Please keep us posted on how things progress!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    No progress yet. The dealership told me that GM didn't have a "fix" for this problem. And they didn't know what to do about it. I guess that means I need to proceed via the Lemon Law.
  • I just bought my new 2012 GMC Terrain last month. I have less than 1,500 miles on it. Last week while pulling out of a drive-thru, the StabiliTrak warning light came on along with the message to Service StabiliTrak. I immediately pulled over and read the Owner's Manual. I turned the engine off, waited 15 seconds, and restarted the engine which cleared the message and the warning light. Since then it has happened three more times, each time as I was making a turn. It clears whenever I restart the engine. I called OnStar to have them run a diagnostic, and everything came back fine. I have the 2.4L engine, FWD. I have contacted my dealership and will take it in sometime next week to have it looked at. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • mkdevo1mkdevo1 Posts: 1
    Before I go crazy, can someone tell me if the 4-CYL comes in the SLT-2?? I'm able to build it on gmc.com that way, but I haven't been able to locate any.
  • autobotsautobots Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    GMC completely lied about the gas mileage. For those who are looking for a new car and want great gas mileage, this is NOT the car you want. We chose the 4 cyl option and trust me, the only way this car would get 22 mpg city and 32 mpg highway would be if it was being towed, with its engine off, by a Honda CRV. Even then I suspect the Terrain would find a way to burn gas somehow.

My wife had a new V6 Ford Escape prior and we got rid of it because we loved the safety and technology of the newer Terrain. However, what really sold it for us was the advertised mpg. We have now had this car for 6 months and I want to know something. How can a car that advertises a 26 combined in reality get an actual 21.5 combined????? My wife does not speed and we leave the ECO always on. I will tell you why, the city mileage probably gets 10 mpg.....if that. What a joke.

GMC, I know your company was headed for the brink of extinction and the tax payers had to save you. I am happy that everything worked out and we Americans were able to keep money and jobs in the U.S. However, this does not give you the right to lie to the people who ultimately bailed you so you could boost car sales and avoid bankruptcy.

When the class action lawsuit comes, and it will definitely be coming, we will be joining in. However, after the lawyers get their 75+% of the cut, that should leave each of us owners with a $1000 payout....not nearly enough to compensate us for the extra $1500 in gas per year versus what you sold us on. What a major disappointment.
  • Autobots - I have similar disappointment with my wife's 2011 Terrain. We traded in a 2008 Mountaineer after I convinced my wife that we needed to downsize & take advantage of the better fuel economy. Most of my wife's driving is in-town and our 6 cylinder is supposed to get 17 MPG. I believe the best MPG we have seen on in-town driving is 13...WHAT A LET DOWN. I called GMC & was told that they were aware of problems with the 4 & the 6; that they had a fix for the 4-cylinder and the engineers would be working on a fix for the 6. They also told me that once they had the fix that they would give owners $ for the extra fuel that they burned before the fix. You might want to ask about this fix (believe it was a fix on vehicle software.) No offense, but you probably won't benefit from a class action. There was a story on TV recently about a former lawyer in CA that filed a lawsuit for a Civic Hybrid that didn't get the advertised mileage. You might want to read about that on a website she has opened. I had a lemon and took my vehicle to the dealership for the same engine problem 4 times in the first year. The dealership never got the vehicle fixed. I found a law partnership that works these cases on a no recovery-no fee basis and they filed under the lemon law for me. Their fee is only paid by the manufacturer if they win. I have taken my wife's Terrain in 4 times for this fuel economy issue and nothing has been fixed.