Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Terrain

Comments

• Does anyone know the ratio of Equinox sales to Terrains. Relative to the Equinox forums,
    there seem to be a lot less postings in the Terrain forums. Is it a volume thing or are there
    just a lot more happy Terrain owners?
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    sales 2012 ytd

Chevrolet Equinox 130,796
    GMC Terrain 54,197
  • I have a 2012 GMC Terrain 4wd with approximately 12,000 miles. Starting in November when ever I drive on the express way 55-65 mph, The Service Stabilitrak light will come on then the check engine light will blink on and off. Once I get to my destination once I restart the vehicle all the lights will be off. I have been the dealership on four different occasions 11/15, 11/17, 12/7 and 12/26.
    The first time the vehicle misfire on cylinders 2,4,6. The codes were cleared and the light came back on 11/17. That visit the same misfire, The dealership found loose front breather duct. Secured the duct and clear the codes. Third visit Code P0300 Misfires again cylinder 2 and 4. Use a borascope to inspect both cylinders for collant/dye. Pressure test and replaced the intermittent ignition coil, spark plug. Last visit Code P0300. Carbon deposits on valves. Misfire again. Clean and Decarbonize and clean fuel system. I am beyond frustrated with the issue that I am having.. I feel that that is a bigger issue with the engine..Thoughts/Advise Please
    Thank You
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,109
    We're sorry to hear that you've had to make so many trips to your dealership on this concern on your new Terrain, kristindenim79. Are you already working with Customer Assistance on this? If not and you would like for us to check into this further with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Hi I was wondering if this problem was ever solved?? I just purchased a 2013 have had it for 6 days and am now driving a loaner car because my car was stalling out. The dealership has been helpful and kept my car for a couple of days because they were not experiencing the problem. today i got a voicemail that it stalled on them and they are going to run some test to see what could be wrong. I am just nervous I bought a car that is going to constantly be in the shop.
  • The vehicle is still at the shop since Friday. I am currently in a loaner. I was told that GM authorized them to open the engine and look further into why this issue keeps happening. I was told I would be without my car for awhile, since they may have to put a new engine in it.
    We're sorry to hear that your new Terrain is already in the dealer, katieg3!
    If you would like for us to check into anything further for you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation so far for the agent responding to your email).

• bwall2bwall2 Posts: 30
    My 2011 stalled out also. It is a terrible vehicle; I made a huge mistake purchasing another GM product. The dealer replaced the camshaft actuator - seems to be running now - this is the first vehicle I have ever had that stalled out - and I am 63 years old. The 2011 vehicle has the electric door locks switch located somewhere in the area of the radio - they have since moved it back. The best thing is the gas mileage - which I continue to complain about. The dealer was authorized to do a "consumption test" and guess what - it does 38.9 mpg! I have asked GM where the gas is going since my calculations indicate 24-26!

I could go on and on about how much I despise this vehicle - but it is not worth it. I sincerely wish someone would hit it in a parking lot and total it! At my age, I don't trade cars very often so I am stuck with it!
  • I just bought my 2012 6-cyl Terrain a week ago, and tonight the Service Stabilitrak light came on along with the message "Engine Power Reduced", and I was reduced to little more than a glorified parade car. I had just gotten off of the interstate when this happened, so needless to stay I was counting my lucky stars it hadn't happened there. It's still infuriating to have this happen only a week after I bought what was supposedly a "clean" vehicle. Guess the warranty will now be kicking in...what a joke.
    hawkref,
    Are you already in contact with your dealership? Let us know if we can be of any assistance by emailing us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation so far).

At least you were still able to drive it! My Terrain QUIT totally - first vehicle I ever had do that. It was the "camshaft" actuator that had to be replaced. It is a very frustrating vehicle.
  • pkpy64pkpy64 Posts: 2
    I decided that I would try an american made car after having a Hyundia Sante Fe. My 2010 Terrain has gone to the shop 7 times now since I have purchase in May 2012. They have replaced the timing belt, tension, cam sensor, another pump, and put a oil cap on due to leaking oil plus the knocking. I was told that "it was supposed to sound like that" I know it shouldn't knock like that. So disappointed in this car and it really has made me never want to get a GMC car ever again. What is the problem and what is the solution? I do like my Terrain but can't keep throwing money into somthing not working on top of a car note.
    pkpy64,

We're sorry to hear that you've had so many troubles with your Terrain. Have you worked with Customer Assistance at all on these concerns? Do you have any updates about the status of your vehicle since your last post?

• When I originally bought my 2010 terrain I loved it! But obviously it was NOT a car built to last! I drive 120 miles/day round trip to work which is why I bought this particular vehicle The gas mileage has been good but that is not my complaint. I bought the car brand new may 2010. It now has 101,600 miles on it. Approx 1 year ago it had the timing chain replaced (approx 60,000 miles and still under warranty) In Dec 2012 my transmission had to be completely rebuilt!! ( Under extended warranty-1100 miles left to go) It took 3 weeks to diagnose and fix it then. I broke down and had to be towed when the "wave plate" broke inside! Now I just had it back 2 weeks and it stalls out on me yesterday morning( of course OUT OF WARRANTY by 1600 miles). Another towing to dealership and not a definitive diagnosis yet but they are saying cam actuator failure!!! 3 major repairs in 1 -1.5 yrs. 2 in last 30 days!!! Last GMC I buy! Very sad and disappointed in this car. I urge anyone considering buying a Terrain- GET AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!! You'll need it!
    Or better yet, don't buy this terrible piece of trouble. My cam actuator on 2011 went at around 20,000 miles. Can't imagine what we will have to spend on awful vehicle since we don't have extended warranty. LAST GM product for us. 2007 Camry Hybrid with 93,000 miles - not one dime spent on this great Japanese vehicle. Inspections every year - not even brakes yet!
    lmcpeek,
    Any news on this since Thursday? We're sorry that you've had to make two trips for repairs within the last month or so.

• No Sarah not definitive word yet. First the shop said cam actuator now they are saying it IS the transmission again, the torque converter. I was told after the rebuild it would have a 12,000 mile warranty and when I asked if this was covered I was told they would have to work on me with this which I believe is unacceptable !! I was contacted today (Sat) by a GM customer service rep but missed his call and couldn't get ahold of him again. Jut waiting to see. In the meantime I am seriously considering purchasing another car. I dont feel like this one is dependable anymore. I will be upside down in my loan/trade in value but I don't trust this vehicle anymore. It's sad because I love this car and wanted to keep it indefinitely b I have to have something dependable to drive having small children I don't like the idea if being stranded with them in a dark country road again.
    lmcpeek,
    What is your case number? I can check to see if there are any urgent updates for you.

• Case number 71-1153410404. Thanks
    lmcpeek,

I see that your agent has a call scheduled out to you tomorrow afternoon. I'll let them know that you're expecting them! What is the best time of day to contact you?
  • I told them after 4
  • Back to the shop again today. :sick: My oil level on Friday was reading 65%. I just had the oil cap replaced because I notice a knocking then saw a oil on the ground where my Terrain was parked. That was the week of Jan 28. Then on Friday Feb. 8 my oil level was at 65% oil life. Today my oil life is at 60% with knocking. This is a drain of my energy and time. Like I previously stated can't be making car notes plus repairs. How can a car be deemed and sold as certiifed and have these many ISSUES. I have gone to the repair center so many times that when I call they know my voice. SMH
  • I've also had several of the same problems with my 2010 Terrain. It started with 4 or 5 sensors burning out. Those were not under warranty. Then while under the powertrain warranty, the timing belt snapped and I had to be towed. Thankfully, it took a few days to fix and was provided a rental vehicle. While approaching my 100,000 mile mark, I noticed that the engine was consuming oil. It wasn't leaking and it wasn't burning it. Three weeks ago, I had to have the fuel pump replaced. That was $620 and had to pop for $40 on a rental vehicle. Now, the vehicle is back in the shop. A call from the service manager tonight indicated that there were about 4 or 5 things registering on the computer. All I could make out was something with the cam actuators. Funny thing is, a girl at work had a 2010 Terrain like mine, but when it started acting up, she traded it for a Ford. Now I get to sit at home, not go into work, and wait to see what this next repair is going to cost. Lesson learned. I've owned 3 vehicles in the last 23 years. The Mitsubishi and Nissan I had 10 years each and racked up over 150,000 miles on each. I don't think this GMC is going to make it that long and surely not for the life of the loan. Sad thing is, I'm only at 110,000 miles. These things should not be going wrong.
  • Sounds like the Terrain is not a built to last car. As of today, mine still sits in the shop. Haven't heard anything today from dealership. They called Friday and said it DID "look like" the transmission AGAIN...this time being the torque converter. (Apparently NOT the cam actuator as i was originally told) They just "rebuilt"my transmission less than a month ago. At that time I was told I had 12,000 miles warranty on my transmission. When I asked if it was covered, I was told "Ill have to talk with such and such and see what we can work out since it was just in here!" Really??? Work something out?? Yeah Prob out of my pocket!! It's ridiculous to buy an almost $30,000 car and have major engine issues in less than 3 yrs!! I too have had cars with ALOt more miles than 100,000 and NEVER had this trouble!! Needless to say I have been car shopping over the weekend and NOT for a GMC!
    lpmusick,

Keep us updated on your progress at the dealership! If you want for us to check into anything, be sure to contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

• Bought a Certified GMC Terrain experiencing major hesitation, indicator light, and service StabiliTrack light on - please tell me this apparently common issue is repairable and covered under warranty! Love this vehicle but makes me sick to read these problems are typical for the Terrain. This is my first vehicle purchase! Ugh:/
  • I've been going through these issues with the Terrain for over 9 months. Now, I'm in the process of an oil consumption test to see if the entire engine needs replaced. I am taking the vehicle back to the dealership once a week for awhile to let them monitor the oil consumption. If it's greater than it should be, the engine needs replaced. At this point, with over 100,000 miles on it, it's uncertain if GM is going to stand behind this repair. If I were you, I'd take the vehicle back. Hopefully, you have the 10 day clause to negate the sale unless you bought it off an individual. Then, you may be out of luck.
    I will say, however, if it weren't for these issues, I also love this vehicle. The ride, the handling, the comfort are unsurpassed compared to other vehicles I have owned and driven.
  • So sorry to read about the issues you are having... I bought from a GMC Dealer in Michigan - I live in Ohio. My husband called this morning and we are waiting to hear back from them. I am hoping for a good outcome with GMC's "No Worries" policy.
    I'm majorly bummed I've been wanting to buy the Terrain for the past couple years and finally found what I thought was a nice one that I could afford and now nothing but disappointment thus far! :( all I can do is hope for the best.
    I would think GMC is aware of these common problems with their vehicles and would be more than willing to make it right.
    Best of luck to you
    If you can take it back and negate the sale, do it. I have a 2011 - wish I could have negated this sale after buying it. I bought it new and really despise the issues that we have had with it. It is the worst GM product we have ever had - and it will obviously be the last one we ever have. Unfortunately, at 63 years of age, I am now stuck with keeping it since it is worth so little.
    Good morning pgill71,
    We're sorry that you're experiencing these troubles on your Terrain. Have you already begun working with your dealership to get this resolved? Let us know if you have any questions (we can, for example, check into warranty information with the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage). Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com .