Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Added Security

Comments

• ths258ths258 Posts: 10
    Say the 30000 mile service is $500. That leaves $200 for the 37500 and 45000 service. Those latter two services are largely oil change/rotation, which should come in well under $200. I also suspect your dealership also includes more 30000 items for that $500 than what the maintenance contract includes (i.e. AT fluid/filter change). Post #16 lists what Subaru covers/expects for maintance. From what I read, dealers augment this service list for what they define as the 30000 service.

The last thing that bugs me about the maintenance plan is that it includes a coolant change. Yet the 2009 Outback has coolant that lasts 100000+ miles.

So I did reject both. I hope to pick up the extended warranty later. There have been several references in the forums that better offers are made by Subaru in the mail, over time.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, I guess it's a good value if you were going to purchase those things anyway, but if they're not necessary, the value then erodes.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    My Outback will be 3 yrs by end of month, just bought Gold Plus 7yr/100,000 mi./ $100 ded at $1,200. This is the lowest price I can find. Just an insurance for a big job if ever needed. Paperwork is in the mail. I think if the warranty was not claimed and can get refund upon maturity.
  • hi, BigdadI118, where did you get your warranty from? I live in Ohio and I am finding many BIG price differences.
    Thanks,
    Jilly'sMom
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Yup. I have the Gold Plus and they replaced turbo, pistons and rings in my 05 LGT.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
    All that track time didn't void the warranty? ;)

Just yanking your chain, you know that.
  • kellmackellmac Posts: 10
    My mom is shopping for a used '09. In the past I have used Carfax but I now know the information is mostly limited to public records, which may be incomplete.

I have heard that Autocheck is affiliated with Equifax and therefore there is more information. Which would seem to imply that they are using purchase information. Somehow that seems like a violation of privacy but that sort of database would likely be more comprehensive.

Has anyone had any experience with Autocheck? Any rants or raves? The one criticism I read somewhere was from someone that gave their subscription pretty heavy use and it was terminated for suspicion of commercial purposes.

Also, is anyone aware of any Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) on the 09s, or does it matter since the vehicle would be under warranty?

Also, can someone give me a quick refresher on the difference between Subaru Added Security (SAS) and the Gold Plus extended B to B warranty? I get the impression that SAS covers routine maintenance, is that correct? How much extra is that? Is it worth the extra money? Would a used Subaru be eligible?

Finally, I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts here regarding significant savings off of the retail price on the Gold Plus. The last time I bought a Subaru Gold Plus I got a quote from Stacy Subaru (Brattleboro VT) and used it to negotiate with the dealer I was buying from (they matched the quote). I forget the exact numbers but I think I saved 40% to 45% off of retail.

On behalf of my mom, thanks in advance. :D
    ~Cath
    Jilly's Mom

Click my name and email me for info...
    ~Kath

Subaru Added Security = Extended Warranty
    It contains 2 plans : Basic, Gold Plus
    Of course Basic covers basic stuffs and Gold Plus covers like new car bumper-to-bumper, road side assistance, towing, trip interuption. You can stop by any Subaru dealer to get a Added Security brochure to get idea.

If you want further info please click my name to email me. You can buy these before the standard warranty 3yr/36k mi. expiry.
    Jilly's Mom,
    Your profile notes that your email is private.

I did email bigdadi118.
    Thanks,
    ~Cath
    I just realize I should have started a separate thread.

Thanks for the responses on the warranty question but I'm also looking for feedback on Carfax versus Autocheck.
    ~Cath
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Actually it started shortly after I got the car. Cylinder #4 on the 2.5T cars is prone to have bad ring-lands. It slowly started to burn oil up to 1q/700 miles. They replaced the turbo first thinking that was the problem, So I essentially have a new motor (Rings and Pistons + Turbo) now.

Flemington Subaru tried to write up a ton of "aftermarket" parts on my car even though 90% are Subaru parts and the other 10% were ones not covered (shocks, tires, battery, etc) They tried to line me up for a warranty denial but didn't realize that I have a direct line to CFO.... It didn't end well for them after trying to deny the claim and actually out and out lied on the writeup.

:)

-mike
  • bob_b1bob_b1 Posts: 29
    Actually I think this is the forum where I should be posting about warranty.
    Purchased my car over the weekend (2010 Outback Premium with AWP CVT)
    The finance department at the dealership was on vacation so they used the outside company which could care less about me. So getting any deal on extended warranty was lost cause.
    Today I will contact my own dealer to acquire more info on the warranty, and also few more over the next few days to see what each has to offer. I am just concerned about the new transmission, basically I only care about things power train, and I would like to keep my car for the next 8-10 years moving. So here are few questions.

1. What is the major difference between basic and gold plus warranty? Will basic warranty cover parts that are vital for my car to just move? (do not care about radio or other things that are not vital)
    2. Does having less added optional equipment on outback will cost leas for warranty? I have nothing accept all weather package.
    3. How much should I pay for 7yr-100K or 7-85K with $50 or $100 deductible?
    4. Did any of you ever purchase warranty over the internet. I found Subaru dealer Mastria Subaru Raynham MA selling their warranty on eBay?
    5. and final question. Your thoughts on 3rd party warranty.
  • I have not owned a Subaru and just purchased a 2010 outback v6. I was told I had to make a decision on the warranty at the time of purchase and stupid me said yes after getting an additional discount of $200 down to $1,795. From the sounds of other posts I can get the same cover later Gold plus 7 yr/100k. I plan on having the car at least 5 years and hopefully much longer so should I tell dealer no and get this warranty taken off and revisit down the road. Biggest concern is all the electrical stuff these cars have now!
    And increasing labor rates - $95 an hour nowadays for a dealer mechanic around here. :sick:

FWIW, it's an H6, not V6.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    If you can get it removed, I would go for it. You can add the extended warranty at any time during the factory warranty period (3 years or 36,000 miles) and will most likely be able to get it at a price much lower than you paid.
    Hi - in Sep I bought the Subaru Gold Plus 7yr/100k/ded $100 at $1,200 ... I can email you price of the other options, just click my name to have my email addr.
    You can purchase this from any Subaru dealers, plus you can do it any time before the new car 3yr/30k warranty expires.
    The good thing to purchase early is you lock in the price and have the choice of spread out into 10 months credit card payment without any interest.
    Sounds good also.

I think there is a surcharge for those on turbos, so that may be why we see price variance.
  • bob_b1bob_b1 Posts: 29
    This is my story about extended warranty with Subaru. Do not ever let the dealer to take advantage of you when purchasing extended warranty. When I bought my car at Liberty Subaru Libertyville IL I thought the best place to buy the extended warranty would be the same dealership. Well I was wrong. Mike Gottlieb (finance guy) contacted me and wanted to sell me warranty 7year 70k miless originally for $1,600 (100 deductible). I have refused immediately and he came down in price to $1300 what is still way to high. Than I started to call around all the Subaru dealers in Chicago land area. I will post all the prices. Just to let you know I have found the same warranty for $820 please see the prices down. All the plans are Subaru Gold Plus extended warranty plans.

Deductable/Plan/ Price

Grand Subaru IL

100 7/70k $1,115
    100 7/100k $1,500

The Autobarn Subaru of Countr

100 7/70k $1,230
    100 7/100k ????

North Shore Subaru IL
    100 7/70k $1,265
    100 7/100k $1,750

Bill Jacobs Subaru IL
    100 7/70k $820
    100 7/100k $1,280

Gary Lang Subaru IL
    100 7/70k $1,500
    100 7/100k $2,000

Gerald Subaru IL
    100 7/70k $1,500
    100 7/100k $2,000
    100 6/80K $1,500

Subaru of Schaumburg IL
    100 7/70k $895
    100 7/100k $1,595
    100 6/80K $1,195

Funny thing happened. I have ended up purchasing the extended warranty form the dealer that was out of state. Found them on ebay, decided to contact them and they were able to give me the best price
    Mastria Subaru
    Mastria Parts Online
    (888) 848-4309
    There is guy called Don he deals with all the online orders.
    He gave me the price on 7 year 100 000 miles Gold Plus extended warranty for $1175 ($100 deductable) Also you can do a 10 month plan no interest.
    This was a easy process. All over the phone and fax. I am waiting for my papers from Subaru.
    Bob - good buy - yours $1175 on 7yr/100k mi/$100 ded is $25 cheaper than what I bought here.