Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Added Security

Comments

• I have several weeks before my OB will arrrive, so I'm just beginning to read about warranty stuff. A perhaps dumb, but anyway a simple question.

When you all mention 7/100K, can I assume that is that on top of the standard 3/36K warranty? Otherwise you would have to amortize the $ cost over only 4 years and 64K?
  • I honestly didn't know I could negotiate the price, too late for that. But I did buy the extended gold because in rural VT on isolated roads with no one around I really like the road side assistance. I have used it in the past in my other subarus and it really helped out with the wind whipping and negative 20 and I needed help. And with my new 2010 if I don't use it I get my money back. Hoping for the best, but not willing to take my chances and planning to keep this car util 2020 or longer if it keeps going.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    It calculates from the day you bought the new car... yes it is add-on, so the $1200 is actually for the rest of 4 yr / 64k mi after the standard3 yr/36k mi.
  • Thank you VERY much for this information. The finance dealer at my local Subaru dealer (Bellingham, WA) also recommended the warranty - for $1,700. I asked if I could decide later and he said that I had to make the decision at that time and I could always cancel it. Well, I canceled after researching prices online and saw this forum. I went with Mastria Subaru as well and received a great end-of year deal for 72months/80,000 miles/$100 deductible for $840.

Thanks again!
    Jamie
  • ths258ths258 Posts: 10
    Is that the Gold plan you received for 72months/80,000 miles/$100 deductible at $840?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Sweet price...
  • 1hhead1hhead Posts: 18
    If you're "on the fence" about purchasing a warranty on a new vehicle with the quality reputation Subies have, please read this... And please don't flame a "counterpoint" about warranties here folks if you love them. My intent is only to offer some perspective folks...

A mature company like Fuji industries and Subaru USA has pretty darn good engineers and most importantly high quality suppliers folks. If this were a grade of car that was "bottom tier" of the manufacturers, I'd buy the warranty, but Subie and the Outback are NOT.

Every company builds different "grades" of car. The Outback is Subie's top of the line, bread and butter vehicle. They put good "grade" equipment into it.

The vast majority of electronics and mechanical items typically fail either early on due to "infant mortality" or at "end of life". Just a basic rule of manufacturing... I'm more worried with "infant mortality" and most issues on cars I've had in the past were showing symptoms well before the manufacturer 3yr/36K expired. We had a 2000 Honda mini-van for example where the tranny started to have issues early on. Honda replaced it free at 70K miles because we had noted it was showing symptoms at the 3 year service and I called Honda USA with records in hand to prove it (and they had one of the "quiet recalls" Honda is famous for with multiple TSBs about the tranny to boot). My point is that there's a good chance any broad-based issue with the product will be covered later on by a good manufacturer (just be sure to not take the dealer's first answer as the last one!)

Yes, folks are wondering whether the new CVT will last on these cars. This is a proven technology in the auto industry though and I am betting my money Subie's trannys will last at least 100K miles folks.

Will you really keep the car 3 full years PLUS another 35-40K miles when the real end of life issues start that the extended warranty covers? Folks who buy cars at the $30K price point tend to trade every 4 or 5 years... Is it worth $1000-$1500 for 1 or 2 years of insurance? My home owners insurance costs less for perspective!

Anyone leasing the car especially should NOT buy one of these warranties of course. (Don't think this happens often, but beware of dealers who might try it is all)

Can you put $1000 to work in a income-oriented mutual fund or other investment that earns 8% in CASH dividends annually? If so, you'll double this money every 8 years or so that can be used as your own warranty coverage for the vehicle or it's money in your pocket if you're just "average" in your experience with a Subie. Just pointing out that "self-insuring" yourself has it's benefits.

Hope this helps!
    Several good points, but let's keep in mind that lowers the price of said warranty.

It's more about piece of mind. You just don't worry about it.

Plus prices keep creeping up. In the DC area the hourly rate for a mechanic is up to $95! :surprise:
  • bob_b1bob_b1 Posts: 29
    I was so torn about this extended warranty, but decided to purchase. Yes CVT transmission is proven but not as much as regular automatic.
    If Subaru did what Nissan did with Murano (extended power train to 10 years and 100 K on CVT models) I would not even bother with the extended warranty. But since this is new to USA I would like to have this security blanket.
    Best of all if anything changes you can always cancel this plan and get your money back as long as it is before your 3 year 36k miles.
    I bought extended warranty 7year 100K for $1200. I will see how everything performs over the next 3 years and see I I will keep the warranty or not. If I start seeing a lot of posts on forums about problems with Outback I will keep it, if not I will then think about keeping warranty.
    Now that you have it I'm sure Murphy's Law will prevail and your Subaru will run 250,000 miles flawlessly. :D
  • aan1234aan1234 Posts: 31
    I've got a few quotes yesterday. I could not find extended warranty on subaruwrxparts.com so I emailed them. Also, I emailed all local dealerships and Mastria Subaru (selling extended warranty on ebay). I was looking for 7/70K 0 deductible plans. Here are the results:

subaru.net

Basic - $870
    Gold Plus - $1265

subaruwrxparts.com (Exeter Subaru)

Basic - $815
    Gold Plus - $1010

Mastria Subaru

Basic - $1195
    Gold Plus - $1295

Local dealership 1

Basic - $715
    Gold Plus - $910

Local dealership 2

Basic - $1230
    Gold Plus - $1620

Local dealership 3

Basic - ~$2400
    Gold Plus - ~$2800

I called local dealership #1 and they told me they are selling at $100 over cost.
    By coincidence (or not?) this is the place where I bought my Outback and where I go for service.

$910 for 7/70K 0 deductible Gold Plus is not bad at all but I am still not sure if it makes sense even at this price. I am definitely not going to need Trip Interruption benefit and most likely Roadside Assistance either. Does Basic plan for $715 makes more sense?
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Posts: 286
    We've purchased the Gold Plus plan for our cars. It has given us peace of mind, although with only one car, so far, have we come out ahead.

You just need one or two odd, but expensive parts to go bad and you'll be happy.you have a plan. Since it is backed by Subaru, there are no hassles to get things paid for.
    It doesn't take long to ring up $715.

My dealer's labor rate for mechanics is $95/hour, so we're talking less than one day of labor.

I say go for that at least.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,282
    Quite the range of prices, but $910 is a good price for the 7/70/0. What is the name of that dealership?
  • aan1234aan1234 Posts: 31
    > What is the name of that dealership?

Power Subaru, AZ
    edited March 2010
    OK, I called in a favor to a friend at SoA, and got the full scoop on the advantages of the Gold Plus:

* road hazard tire protection
    * includes roadside assistance
    * trip interruption (meals/lodging if 50+ miles away from home)

What isn't covered? Brake pads, wiper blades, etc.

But here's the best part: it includes everything that isn't specifically excluded.

So, for instance, when new technologies are added to a model, like Bluetooth on the 2010 Forester, it's automatically covered since it's not mentioned in the exclusions list.

All new tech is covered, so you don't have to wait for them to revise the Subaru Gold agreement to know it's covered.

So Basic is good, Gold is great. :)
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Posts: 165
    This gold plan sounds pretty intriguing. I may look into it for my 09 Legacy. It's run flawlessly, and my only issue has been dinging myself on a pothole which needed to be replaced. The new tire has the "road hazard" warranty for 10% of the cost of the tire (around $20) but it only covers that tire that was replaced.

This gold plan would cover any other tire damage that occurs for all the tires?
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    >This gold plan would cover any other tire damage that occurs for all the tires?

tires are covered by the tire manufacturer not SOA, AFAIK tire manufacturers don't cover damage either- I mean if you run it over some sharp spikey object and ruin the tire, its hardly some manufacturing fault, throwing the belts or a blister where there is no clear external damage from the tire striking something is the sort of stuff I have had covered by a tire manufacturers warranty. Some tire retailers may sell road hazard warranty which covers everything. But a SOA AddedSecurity warranty will defintely not cover tires.
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Posts: 165
    edited March 2010
    So the post above mine is incorrect?

"OK, I called in a favor to a friend at SoA, and got the full scoop on the advantages of the Gold Plus:

* road hazard tire protection
    * includes roadside assistance
    * trip interruption (meals/lodging if 50+ miles away from home) "

I read the road hazard tire protection just as that - road hazard tire protection. Which includes nails, potholes, etc. Maybe we can get a followup.

I know from experience that the manufacturer's warranty only handles a manufacturer defect, but I would probably be willing to consider a Gold plan if I decide to buy a new Outback in about 1.5 years (when my Legacy is paid off)
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,282
    Sears offers a similar Road Hazard plan, as does, I think, TireRack.com. Through Sears, the road hazard plan is similar to the manufacturer's defect replacement plan wherein the vendor will replace the tire at a prorated cost based on mileage, age, etc. At least, that was the Sears plan (for an additional $60). If I recall correctly, their plan also included free flat/puncture repair.

If the problem was deemed a manufacturing defect, like mentioned above, it would fall to the tire manufacturer to replace it.