Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Thanks for confirming my observations. Most new vehicles can easily exceed EPA Highway rating when driven responsibly.
         I would prefer your 3.8L over my 2002 T&C 3.3L. Almost same gas mileage but more power with the 3.8L. Chrysler goofs by not offering the 3.8L on every DC minivan.
         BTW, the Trip Computer in my 2002 T&C is VERY accurate.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    "Most new vehicles can easily exceed EPA Highway rating when driven responsibly"

I would say most new vehicles can MEET EPA Highway ratings when driven responsibly.If they could "easily" exceed the EPA Highway rating then the manufacturer would list their expected MPG to be higher. Useing the higher MPG in their advertising.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,294
    they can only list the EPA numbers by law.

I have a '99 Quest also. It gets about 15 MPG most tanks, but that is heavy short-hop around town driving. Lots of stop/starts, etc. On the highway, I usually average about 22 overall (best ever tank was about 25, sometimes I get 20). But, that is usually on the NJ turnpike and NY Thruway, so a combination of traffic jams, running at 75-80, and (in NY) lots of hills, plus some around town during the trip.

I think if I did a straight run south (where it's flat), at around a steady 67, I might get 27 mpg or so (like thats ever going to happen!).

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Stickguy, then why would EPA set the numbers so low if they could easily be exceeded by people who drive their new vehicles responsibly?(per Hans)If EPA sets mpg at 18 city/25 highway on the new Quest you just bought. And Nissan says no way...it easily gets 20 city& 28 highway when driven responsibly.Couldn't they sue EPA saying they are hurting their new car sales?
    How exactly does the EPA arrive at mpg?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,434
    The EPA subtracts 22% from their measured highway numbers (you have to add 28% to get the original number) because people generally drive to fast, or include some city driving with their highway driving and hence complained. It is very easy to exceep the EPA numbers. You really have to drive carefully to get the original numbers though (1.28 x the EPA).
    the epa test is run on a treadmill, and is very arcane in the way they measure mileage, and what they consider city and highway. All cars run under the exact same profile. Real world results vary partly becuase some cars are designed to do better on the test than the road, and vice versa.

Its what we got, and a better comparison than each manufacturer posting their own fantasy numbers.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

If it's so easy to exceed EPA..why are so many posters complaining about poor mpg? Do they all have lead foots, keep their vehicles poorly maintained etc?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,434
    Yes. People post to complain much more than to compliment.
    most people don't drive under ideal conditions. Traffic, jack rabbit starts, running 80+, etc. all hurt MPG.

Driving for max economy is possible, but very hard to do.

• To say the mileage stinks is an understatement. I live in North Alabama. Around town, we are lucky to get 15 mpg. On vacation with all interstate driving at 75 ... 20 mpg. This is my first and last Mopar unless its a Viper and who cares about mpg. That ain't gonna happen so don't worry.
  • navyairnavyair Posts: 202
    I like the part about the Viper. Include me in your test drive.

As the sticker says...mileage may vary....
    My 2002 T&C LX 3.3L V6 has AVERAGED 26.1 MPG since I got it used a few months ago.
        I drive responsibly with most of the driving on open road (Interstate or state highway with few stop signs).
        The gas mileage will probably drop now winter is almost here.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Wow! That is the best mileage I have heard from anyone with a minivan. I tend to average 18-20 mpg in very mixed driving. Nissan Quest S.
    Previous owner told me his long term average was just over 22 mpg. I obviously don't have as much stop and go as he did.
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    Driving conditions, driving habits, and weather have a huge influence. Especially in a two-ton vehicle with 200+ hp and automatic transmission.

My wife has gotten 25-26 mpg with our 03 Sienna on two-lane roads. I have gotten as low as 12-13 mpg in January on a short commute.
    Reasonable drivers, same car, different circumstances.

-Mathias
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I understand all the variables that effect your gas mileage but to AVERAGE 26 mpg in a minivan is amazing under any conditions. Esp. for a minivan that is not know for it's gas mileage.
    But the majority of my driving in the van has been highway, non-stop driving. If driven exclusively in the city in the winter, the average would drop to as low as 10 or 12 MPG or even lower.
         My VW beetle got as low as 12 mpg in the winter when driven around town.
  • We easily got 29 to 30 mpg on the interestate driving between Tennessee and Florida. I checked it on three different refills. Only averaged about 60 mph since we were following my inlaws who were towing a camper. That made a world of difference I guess.

96 Dodge Gr. Caravan -- 3.3L
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Hans, why do you think winter conditions will hurt your mileage? And summer with A/C on isn't hurting your mileage?

Also, 26 mpg "AVERAGE" means that you can sometimes get more than that! Is it true? Or you meant to say you successfully squeezed out once or twice 26 mpg? I think EPA for Chrysler/Dodge van is something like 19/25 mpg (but "may vary").

If what you say is true, I'm excited. I'm going soon to replace my '02 Windstar (horrible mileage!) with an '05 Grand Caravan (SXT, the 3.8L engine). I hope my mileage will be better than in the Windstar.
  • craigmricraigmri Posts: 243
    I imagine he suspects winter mileage will suffer possibly due to the reformulated gasolines used in the winter hurt mileage??

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Hans, you seem to be right. In the following article, there is evidence to your claim of 26 MPG, even from the bigger 3.8 engine.

http://www.allpar.com/model/m/grand-caravan-2005.html
  • This car was purchased 18 months ago and has 28,000 miles on it. My wife consistanly gets 19-19.2 MPG with surburan driving, measured by miles divided by gallons and not by the car's calculator. On a recent long drive, 1400 miles, we averaged 23 MPG, with a high of 24.3 and a low of 21.2. I believe this is what the sticker said, 19 to 24.
  • Hi--

My 2004 Sienna XLE FWD has 13,500 miles on it now (after 15 months of use) and the trip computer is reporting 21.5 MPG. It's mostly used around town and commuting 15 miles roundtrip to work. We've never taken it more than 100 miles from home. Less than half of the miles are freeway/highway miles. This is about what I expected.

--Steve
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    its driven mostly on the highway. with winter fast approaching and with small boys we soemtimes "warm" the vehicles for about 5 mins which will definitely eat into the MPG equation.
  • azkid2azkid2 Posts: 47
    Anyone have experience with a car top carrier on any type if minivan? My son's new '04 Sienna is getting less than 19 MPG on a 12 hour trip. Car has less than 5K miles and I know it will get a little better wtih time.
  • navyairnavyair Posts: 202
    Recommend use of soft top carrier if you must. Hard top is constant drag coeffficient and dead weight subtracts from useful load (30 lb frame = ~70lb useful contents) I've used both, but went to a cage on the back that slides into my trailer hitch. I can get more on it, and don't have to worry about exceeding the 100-110 lb limit on the luggage rack, or changing my van's center of gravity, esp if driving through mountains in cross winds.
  • Don't hold your breath. I was told the same thing about my 2004 Odyssey. At 5K I took it in prior to a 2000 miles trip because we were avg around 11-13 mpg in the city and around 21mpg on the highway.

Now at 16K I am still getting no more than 14 mpg in the city. Last city tank was 11.6. This is while keeping the rpm at 2500 max before shifts. Get passed by nearly everyone when accelerating from a light.

Anybody have a fix?? If the EPA estimate had stated 13 mpg I would have never bought this Honda product.

Please help!
    Sean
  • I would be thrilled with 17-18 with mainly town driving. I am getting between 11-13 mpg in the city. A far cry from the supposed 18 mpg in the city.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,181
    I don't know if I should post this or not!

Odyssey Is Best in Fuel Class

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Yep. Mileage dropped in cold weather to only 23.4 MPG last fill up. I also had more days between fill up and a lower percentage of road vs stop and go driving. Overall mileage since I purchased it has now dropped to 25.8 MPG.
         The 3.8L does NOT give gas mileage as good as the 3.3L under normal driving conditions. I think the new 2005 Odyssey will give the best gas mileage of any recent minivan of comparable size while also having the most power.