Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    A Mazda car or truck that runs efficiently is better for the environment. Here are some tips for driving green.

* Use good quality, energy-conserving (EC) oils with viscosity grade consistent with your owner's manual. Look for cans marked with the symbol ECII, which is the American Society of Testing Materials logo for fuel-efficient oils. Try Genuine Mazda Oil, available at your dealer.
    * Use a fuel with good detergent additive. It will help keep your engine clean and performing efficiently.
    * Use a high-quality fuel with an octane rating appropriate for your vehicle, and use the lowest octane possible.
    * Keep your engine tuned up to keep your car running efficiently. See your vehicle's recommended maintenance schedule for tune-up intervals.
    * Keep your wheels properly aligned. Wheels that are fighting each other waste fuel.
    * Underinflated tires increase rolling resistance, reduce fuel economy, and wear rapidly. Check the vehicle's door-post sticker for appropriate tire pressure.
    * Start slowly, avoiding rapid acceleration. Jackrabbit starts are terrible fuel wasters.
    Drive at posted speed limits. It saves fuel - and possibly a life.
    * Minimize the use of the air conditioning system. Rather than run it continuously, use the vent setting as much as possible.
    * When you get to your destination, park in the shade to reduce the need for air conditioning.
  • kolt1kolt1 Posts: 25
    After 700+ miles, mostly rural and highway driving(45 - 60 mph avg). No cargo, usually just my wife and I. Couldn't be happier (with the MPG and the van).

1st fill-up: 22.4 mpg (Costco)
    2nd fill-up: 25.8 mpg (Shell)
  • I just took delivery of my van two weeks ago and on the first two fill ups I received 28.5 mpg. That is not bad I think!!!!
    Is that result from car computer or actually meter reading divided by fillup of gas?
  • rickc5rickc5 Posts: 378
    1) Are you really in Belgium, or it that just a handle? If yes, please continue. If no, the rest of the questions don't really relate.

2) Is your Odyssey a US spec version, or some european spec version?

3) If a euro spec, do you have the exact same 3.5L V6 that is sold in the US, or are different engines sold in Belgium?

The reason I'm asking these questions is to ascertain whether the mileage you're getting on your new EX (which is OUTSTANDING!) can be directly compared to Odysseys sold in the US. If you have some sort of unique-to-Europe engine, then US Odyssey buyers will likely never get the mileage you're getting.
    Plus US Gallon is different with Imperial Gallon. Tough mission control also plays the trick.
  • lazyfoxlazyfox Posts: 90
    2002 ES - From my MPG tracking, the light kicks in at 15 gal, so there is still 4.8 gal left in the tank.
  • davenowdavenow Posts: 171
    Last week I got 24.9 calc. mpg. up from 22.5 the preceeding week...

my thoughts were concluding because of more highway miles i've been driving. It will most likely will drop down to around 23 this week.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    must be down hill all the way with the wind to your back.

there's no way this could be US gallons with a 6cyl honda engine in the Oddysey.

BTW; I have never done better than 22 mpg in my '02 oddy.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    vehicle with 8.5K miles on odometer, tires inflated to spec on door jam:

22.3MPG highway, 75MPH +/-5MPH, A/C on, 2 adults + 4 children (7mo, 2yr, 5.5yr, 6.5yr), 2 bicycles, lots of bags, sand and sea shells, and situated between the roof rails on top of the vehicle, a Kanga "Typhoon" Roof Pouch System 3/4ths filled with luggage.

I think these Kanga brand soft pouches are excellent as they are easy folding at your destination and at home for storing when not in use. they are waterproof. they are easy to get on and off the car. they conform to the roof and can be dogged to the rails easily.

i set it back from the front of the rails a bit so as to not create a major distrubance to air flow travelling up over the hood, windshield and over the top of the pouch.

also no appreciable noise increase nor vehicle drift / controllability issues due to increased drag from the pouch.
  • davenowdavenow Posts: 171
    Where can i find one of these for my '04 Sienna.

Do they make it for Toyota? Cost$ and links for pics?

Thanks!
    try here:
    http://www.kangaco.com/

-or here-
    http://www.travelinnovations.com/store/category.asp?CategoryID=99- &Page=2

i am certain you could contact them and with some dimension information, they could tell you what would fit your vehicle.

I don't think this is the only company that produces roof products. there may be less expensive alternatives.

good luck.
  • heywood1heywood1 Posts: 839
    Not great so far, but hardly unexpected. I've put about 1,000 miles on the van, with mixed city/hwy driving, and I've not been out of the 17-19 mpg range. At least it's better mpg than that of the Sequoia I almost bought. (I can buy a lot of gas for the difference in purchase price I saved).

I anticipate this will improve somewhat--but not dramatically so--with more use and a few oil changes.

1,500 mile road trip planned for end of the month will tell the tale.
    the 17-19 is calculated by the traditional method correct? i.e. not what is displayed by the computer?

i'm curious, what is the sienna's mpg display telling you you're getting?
  • heywood1heywood1 Posts: 839
    Computer display is a bit optimistic, but not overly so. I'll pay more attention to it and follow up here. Mpg I posted was miles driven divided by gallons purchased.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Some people get great mpg out of the chute, but most of us don't see the EPA rating for a few thousand miles. It may take 10,000 miles for the mpg to reach its peak.

Steve, Host
  • I had to drive from Northern Virginia to Hickory, North Carolina and back this past Saturday (long story), and for the 763 mile roundtrip, the Sienna posted 26 mpg. In "normal" driving - about a 50/50 split of highway and city/suburbs - I've been getting around 21 mpg. I have 5,000 miles on the van as of yesterday.
  • nwlily36nwlily36 Posts: 6
    Castrol oil makes a 5W-20 weight oil. and its not a synthetic. it does cost a little more .. around 2.00 quart on the west coast..
  • i006129i006129 Posts: 71
    I've got a 2001 ODY EX with 42,000 miles. I am averaging 15 mpg city and 18-19 Highway on 87 octane. Dealer says that is within normal range but it is down 3-4 mpg since we first bought it. I have followed recommended service schedule. Any suggestions?
  • nwlily36nwlily36 Posts: 6
    Wow!! Thats amazing I cant see how thats possible.. are you basically filling up and getting right on the freeway and using the cruise control.??? I bought my new O4 Odyssey EXL the end of March and I have been averaging 17-18mpg.. and I think it kinda sucks!! But I do mostly in town driving.. I cant wait for a long trip so I can fill up and get right on the freeway and cruise.. I just pray the gas mileage gets better. btw how do you figure your mileage? Do you fill it up till the pump stops or do you top it off? just curious
    thanks
    Molly