Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    The 2004 MPV just turned over 5,000 miles. Got 23.2 mpg ...about 75% highway.A/C on going about 65 mph avg. So, all hwy I'm thinking about 26mpg.I'm happy with that.Zoom ah Zoom. :P
  • ken23ken23 Posts: 3
    Very dissapointed with my 2005 Quest gas mileage, only 14-15 MPG city driving.I have a 2004 Maxima and I get 19-21 city. I traded in a Ford conversion because it got bad gas mileage and now I still have the same problem.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Don't panic. Winter driving kills gas mileage and your Quest is much heavier than your Maxima.

Did you have the same number of people and same amount of cargo in each?

Take a long highway trip and keep speed about 65 MPH and you will get 25 to 28 MPG with a 2005 Quest. :)
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Had a little free time this afternoon. So for fun I pulled out the window sticker from our 2004 Mazda MPV.I really hadn't noticed this before or read about it here, so this may be of interest. EPA on the MPV is 18 mpg city and 25 highway. Then the disclaimer. "Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions. driving habits and vehicles condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 15 and 21 in the city, and between 21 and 29 mpg on the highway."
    So, I have to ask myself....results reported to EPA from who? Other testing organizations, fleet managers, the average Joe calling in on their cellphone.
    And basically they seem to be protecting themselves even if this vehicle averaged 6mpg city and 8 hwy. So, doesn't seem to be much recourse for Ody owners or anyone else with low mpg compared to what EPA indicates.
  • mapper1mapper1 Posts: 11
    I now have 2000 miles on my '05 Chrysler T&C, and the gas mileage remains steady at 19.0 mpg in mostly city driving. It's no different now than on my very first fillup. This is mostly with just me in the van and in warmer Florida. To get the best mileage, I always never exceed the speed limit, and I look way ahead to the stop lights and always take my foot off the gas if I know the light's going to stay red. The goal is to use the brakes as little as possible. I haven't tested it on a trip yet.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    mapper1, I have a 2005 DGC with about the same mileage on it. I drive about the same as you do and live in a warm climate of Arizona. I haven't got the steady mileage as you have. I posted what I got some time back. But the best I have got so far in about 80% hiway, 20% city, is a little over 21mpg. Most of the time, it's between 17-19 mpg using a hand computer, not the one in the van. I really am waiting to get a tankfull on the open road and see what I can do.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I now have 3500 miles on here and getting 22 mpg according to overhead display. Driving is 50/50 mix. Happy so far.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    99 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with 3.8 l engine, about 75k on the odometer.

Over the last long trip (over 2000 miles), cruising at about 80 mph, consumption about 24 mpg. One leg with 90-100 mph cruising, average about 20.5 mpg.

Regular gas, four people, AC on all the time, about 150 lbs of luggage.

I was thinking of new O2 sensors, but with this kind of economy on a six year old vehicle, I figured why bother.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    Very dissapointed with my 2005 Quest gas mileage, only 14-15 MPG city driving.I have a 2004 Maxima and I get 19-21 city. I traded in a Ford conversion because it got bad gas mileage and now I still have the same problem.

Perhaps take it to the dealer? The worst single tank we've had since breakin is about 18.5. And that was mostly city driving in Boston. So if you're averaging 20% less than our worst, there's got to be something wrong with your vehicle.

What model Quest? Driving pattern?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    How many miles do you have on the Quest? My mileage improved after several thousand miles.
    I have an SE and my wife does most of the driving here in Fla. After my wife told me about the poor mileage I decided to drive it for a week to see if the mileage would change and it turned out to be the same MPG.I know the dealers answer would be that their is nothing they can do about it .I guess maybe I just got stuck with another gas hog.
    What were you getting in the beginning and what are you getting now for gas mileage. I have 1200 miles on mine and the mileage is staying the same.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I wouldn't get too upset. Your engine is still pretty new. If you are concerned, get a notebook and keep track of mileage for each gas tank. Very easy to do and you can see how your minivan responds to weather change, traffic, speed, etc.

Like I said it took to around 8,000 miles for me to see an improvement in gas mileage.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    We get an average of 19.8 on our 2004 Quest SE (according to the trip computer). That is entirely around town driving. We have 12,000 on the van now.

Heading to WDW in FL this summer, so, can't wait to see what MPG for all interstate driving is going to be. But, coming from a 1999 Chevrolet Astro, which got 20 MPG on the interstate, we are completely satisfied! Better MPG and an extra 50 HP over the Chevy. :)
  • cindy4cindy4 Posts: 19
    We purchased a 05 EX-L Odyssey two weeks so we have only filled the gas tank only once. The Odyssey was topped off at the dealer when we took delivery of the vehicle so last week, I filled it up for the first time. It took 17.3 gallons after driving 385 miles of about 75% mixed (highway and city) and 25% highway at 65 MPH which equals 22.3 MPG. So far, I’m pleased with this result and look forward to a longer trip to check the highway MPG.

With a new Odyssey, my driving so far has been very gentle but since I’m easy on the gas anywhere, I don’t believe future MPG results will change much. I will post in another couple of fillips when I have more information.
  • lxbuyerlxbuyer Posts: 5
    got 24 and 27 mpg on recent highway trip--55-65 mph w/no A/C on. Seems good for such a heavy vehicle.
  • dansgirldansgirl Posts: 14
    I've gotten 20.0 mpg and 21.7 mpg on my first two full tanks (800 total miles on the vehicle). Almost all of my driving has been non-highway driving. I am pleased so far, but will put it to the test on our trip to Charlotte at the end of the month, which will be mostly highway miles.
  • dan bitmandan bitman Posts: 158
    C'mon guys,
    where in the Hell is that HIGHWAY where you find cars ( and DRIVERS!!) running with ONLY 65mph ( even on 1-st lane)???
    Don't base your argumentation on this topic with "out of the realm" figures!!!
    Dan
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    If you drive in the outside lane, you can drive at 65 MPH almost anytime on I-25 in Wyoming; I-80 in Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada; I-70 in Kansas, Colorado or Utah; and I-15 in Idaho, Utah, Nevada, and California...as long as you are not in or near an urban area. ;)
  • lxbuyerlxbuyer Posts: 5
    Crowded and rough Northeast highways often require these speeds. And I do not think a minivan is a good vehicle for higher-than-posted speeds. Finally, the only highway I frequently use which has even a 65 MPH speed limit is the NJ turnpike. I have heard they use the time elapsed between turnpike entry and exit to measure speed and cite if the speed estimated is excessive.
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    I have heard they use the time elapsed between turnpike entry and exit to measure speed and cite if the speed estimated is excessive.

Any state using the EZPass technology could do this. In fact, any toll highway could have done it for many years. They don't, for many reasons but the most practical consideration is that no one would use it. there would be endless challenges over the accuracy of the system and all kinds of other protest.

Own a firearm in many Northeastern states and you'll see what it's like to be treated like a criminal even though you are not. Then you'll understand why it won't happen.
  • mtbiker1mtbiker1 Posts: 17
    Since you "improved" the site I can't go to the various topic boards. And, when I try to click on feedback to ask what's going on, I get an error message. This is like what my local newspaper does on Sunday, when the normal order of the various sections is totally scrambled. Why, you ask, is this post here? Simple, really: I can't readily figure out or get to anyplace where it makes sense!

If this is your idea of "user friendly" I'm going somewhere else.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi mtbiker1. I'm so sorry you're having difficulties!

You can drop by the Forums Software discussion and report your difficulties. Try to be a little more specific because it's not clear exactly what is happening to you. Explain what links or drop downs you are using that aren't taking you where you want and if you are getting errors, report them as exactly as possible.

Hope you'll follow through with this suggestion - we'll get everything worked out for you!
  • oneconsumeroneconsumer Posts: 41
    It is now well-known that there is a major defect in the new 2005 Odyssey, especislly with automatic climate control. The heated engine air gets into the vent pipe or air intake, as a result one gets 110 degree hot air from the vent if he or she chooses not to use the air conditioning but only the fresh air from outside. This is more apparent when the vehicle is stopped or in slow speed. In order to combat with the hot air in the vent the AC has to work excessively at all time, resulting in a very poor fuel efficiency. That is why many new Odyssey drivers are complaining that theyt got much lower fuel efficiency than the manufacture claims. It is likely that people reporting good fuel efficiency were driving during the winter or cool spring months; this problem was not obvious to them. Once the hot season comes, it is expected that more complaints will surface. Honda should have a recall to fix this major defect.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Really?

My wife and I have owned a new Odyssey EX-L since February and we frequently use the automatic climate control in a fully manual mode without the AC on. We've been enjoying some rather cool (for us) springtime weather here in central Texas and we have NOT noticed any excess heat coming from the vents in the fresh air mode. And I'm fairly cetain that if the air from the fresh air vents was at 110 degrees, my wife would notice.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Well I finally gor my 2005 DGC 3.8, out on the highway for a full tank of gas. Only about 25 miles of city driving and I got a little over 25mpg. I am sure I could have gotten 26mpg if I could have eliminated those 25 miles. Half of my trip, I used the a/c. This is the best I've got yet. :D
    Try driving the car for 45 minutes without AC, and stop the car but leave the engine on. Turn the fan to high speed to see if you feel hot air from the vent.
    The hot air problem becomes more apparent when the car has been driven for more than 30 minutes and when the car is stopped but engine leaved on. Turn the fan to high speed and see if you feel the hot air from the vent. The service advisor from my dealer admitted that the under hood insulation seal has gaps near the air intake areas on the bottom of the windshield. The hot air from engine may leak into vent duct through those gaps. But I think this is not the only place that hot air leaks into the vent duct. Honda needs to find out the causes of this hot air problem.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    So, in other words, the problem only presents itself when the van is stopped? That explains why my wife hasn't noticed a problem; when she is in stop'n'go traffic (or in a drive-thru lane), she puts the system on recirc and AC to avoid traffic fumes. She only runs the system on fresh air/no AC when the car is moving.

Just curious; how do you know this is endemic to all of the new Odyssey's rather than just your example?
    The service advisor admitted the there are gaps in the insulation seal under hood near the air intake areas in the 2005 model. But this may not be the only place that engine's heated air gets into the vent duct. Since 2005 Odyssey is a redesigned model, it may takes some time for the manufacture to figure out the problem and its cause or causes. I encourage you to try what I suggested. If you have similar problem, contact your dealer. The dealer would not issue a recall, unless there are more complaints coming in.