Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• cccompsoncccompson Posts: 2,388
    I agree the Odyssey should hit its EPA highway figure of 28 in such conditions.

We returned Sunday from a 2500 mile roundtrip to Florida with 3 people and lots of luggage aboard. Our Touring had 639 miles on it when we left. Got 27 mpg on I-95 in Georgia and Florida doing 70 mph going down. Running closer to 80 dropped the mileage by 3-4 mpg.

Coming back, got about 26 mpg in the hilly terrain of Virginia and West Virginia.

The on-board computer registered about 1 mpg less than actual useage.
  • badmpgbadmpg Posts: 1
    I could not agree more with you since I am enduring the same pain. If you are beginning a class action I would definitely sign on.

I have a little over 2K miles on my Odyssey and the best mpg I have had is ~15mpg. This is combined city and Highway.

Given that the mpg played a major factor in my decision to purchase the 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L I am gravely disappointed to say the least.
  • eric6eric6 Posts: 10
    I just tested my last tank of gas. I have a 2002 T & C Model ex with the 3.8 L. Driving conditions 85 - 90% city driving. Very little A/C use. I got 16 MPG. :shades:

Eric
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Gas mileage on 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L V6 mostly city was 18.8 MPG while previous tank mostly highway was 25.3 MPG. Still too cold to need the A/C much. Trip computer reads about 3 % higher than manual computation.
  • cappy4103cappy4103 Posts: 48
    With combined city/hwy driving, we average 19-21 mpg. On the highway through hills of NYS and PA, we get about 23 mpg. On a trip from NY to FL with four adults, two kids and respective luggage, driving 72-75 mph we got 25 -26 mpg.
  • kmh_kykmh_ky Posts: 7
    Just got back from a weekend trip in KY/ So IN. We put three tankfulls of gas in. Got 24 mpg with first one (60% hwy), 22 mpg next (70% hwy, but driving rain and high wind), and 30.1mpg on the return trip (all hwy, ~72 mph, rolling hills, 2 adults, 2 kids and luggage, about 2K miles on the van total since we bought it). I was surprised myself to see 30, proves you (or rather I) can meet the EPA numbers depending on conditions. This seems similar to my experience w/ other cars - you can meet epa hwy ratings but "usually" fall a bit short. In town, we seem to average around 20 mpg. Not bad for 4500lbs and 250 hp - beats the socks off any full -size SUV I have ever heard of....
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Thanks for another example of getting better highway gas mileage than the EPA Highway estimate.
    It has not been difficult for me to exceed the 24 MPG highway estimate for my 2002 T&C LX and it has exceeded 30 MPG on a round trip. However, I have had less than the 18 MPG city rating...especially in the winter. Overall average mileage is now 22.4 MPG.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Took trip down to Florida in brothers 2002 Pontiac Montana. Averaged a little over 24 mpg hwy.That was crusing between 70-75 mph from Louisville Ky to Destin Florida...around 640 miles.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I read somewhere, that you can get better mileage using your cruise control except when driving in mountains. There you'll do better with the cruise off.
  • rgb2rgb2 Posts: 30
    I have an interesting way to determine your optimal speed for most MPG. Look at the minimal amount of pressure on the gas pedal requred to maintain constant speed. An example of a foot computer ;)
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "...to maintain constant speed."

Umm, doesn't a cruise control do this? :confuse:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    Cruise control maintains constant speed, but it does not tell measure pressure on the gas pedal.
    Yes, I'm aware of that. But the original post was to maintain best mpg by maintaining minimum pressure on the gas TO MAINTAIN CONSTANT SPEED.

I was not aware that one could apply a range of pressures on the gas pedal and still maintain constant speed? If I'm going down a level interstate at 70 mph, there is only ONE pressure to apply to maintain 70; the 'minimum' pressure needed to maintain 70 just happens to be the same as the 'maximum' pressure. Likewise, it I start up a hill, and want to maintain a constant speed, I'll have to increase the pressure. Again, to maintain that 70mph, the 'minimum' pressure just happens to be the same as the 'maximum' pressure.

Edmunds needs to add a "sarcasm" emoticon.....unfortunately, I'd probably overuse it.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Posts: 559
    These are typical mpg figures for me. All fill-ups were at least 14 gallons. A/C on constantly for all checks. Nearly all tanks are in town. These are in order from purchase date (I can't find some of my records). 11.39 16.58 16.77 19.36 16.70 20.05 14.51 16.85 19.22 15.75 16.14 (The EPA city estimate is 16 mpg.)
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,426
    I think he was talking about finding which of MANY different constant speeds was best by the amount of pressure on the pedal. He was not referring to ONE constant speed.
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Posts: 190
    the optimum gas mileage has no fixed relationship to either pedal-pressure or speed. Even speed has no fixed relationship to pedal pressure (think tail and then head winds). That is unless we are going to limit ourselves to the sort of resistance-free, known-coefficient-of-friction world used for simple physics class problem solving. It seems fruitless to me to talk about a windless day driving on flat terrain that would be the nearest thing to such conditions. How often do we experience that?

Usually there is some sort of wind (tail, cross, or head), traffic flow to some degree, and terrain variations to be negotiated. The only reasonably useful comparison is to average (as most do) over some common (for each of us) driving conditions. Within that then it might prove useful to vary your driving habits (practicing patience and restraint on the starts, for instance) -- for a period covering more than one tank of gas -- to see what effect that will have on you gas mileage. Otherwise, a mileage improvement might simply have been a fortunate wind, particularly pure tank of gas, lighter traffic, or even optimal temperature --- and not really teach you anything that will translate into any long-term difference in your results.

In other words, minimize the effect of variations to test one (or, at most, a couple) of changes in driving habits, machine adjustments, or fuel source; to see if that change has any significant effect on the results.
    Makes even less sense (to me). If we're talking about many different constant speeds....then the speed really isn't constant, is it?

Maybe he meant find the pedal position needed to drive at the set constant speed on level terrain, and then hold that same constant pedal position (minimum pressure) as one goes up and down hills, letting the vehicle speed vary with the terrain. Kinda the OPPOSITE of cruise control (throttle opening changes to maintain set speed) but more of a "gas pedal" control (vehicle speed changes while in hilly terrain to maintain set pedal position).

Actually, I'm just pulling guesses out of......thin air. Perhaps rgb2 will chime in again one of these days to clarrify just what the heck he meant.
  • dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Posts: 190
    Maybe he meant find the pedal position needed to drive at the set constant speed on level terrain, and then hold that same constant pedal position (minimum pressure) as one goes up and down hills, letting the vehicle speed vary with the terrain. Kinda the OPPOSITE of cruise control (throttle opening changes to maintain set speed) but more of a "gas pedal" control (vehicle speed changes while in hilly terrain to maintain set pedal position).

That is a perfect description of what my driver's ed teacher (35 years ago!) said would produce the best gas mileage. And we all know that he is certainly a preeminently reliable source of such information! ;-)
    Correct to a point. The problem that I have when analyzing my mpg (and I've kept meticulous records from my trip odometer and every gas receipt over the last 3 years in a spreadsheet) is that the driving conditions that I drive under can vary fairly substantially from tank to tank (whether it is the city/highway mix, the degree of traffic congestion, ratio of short trips to long trips, etc.) so it can be difficult to spot exactly WHAT type of driving behaviour leads to the most efficiency. Also confusing the issue a bit more is the effect of the various seasonal blends put out by the refineries and the effects of temperatures (which you mentioned).

Although, truth be told, I certainly know what type of driving behaviour I can use to get really BAD mileage... :D
    "That is a perfect description of what my driver's ed teacher (35 years ago!) said..."

I was about to reply that we must've had the same driver's ed teacher, but then realized that I would have had to take D.E. when I was 7...... :)