Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I just get annoyed when someone accuses me of lying before realizing that they are the ones that are wrong. I didn't intend to get to that low of a level in my posts, and usually exercise restraint. I'd like it if a real discussion can come out of this forum, without it getting down to people blantantly lying in hoping those who don't know any better will side with them.

NO ONE IS SUPPOSED TO TAKE SIDES! Just discuss the merits of the vehicles!
  • bholabhola Posts: 15
    I bought this late december so less then one month old with 640 miles. I had to fill up tank twice and my milage was 17. Not so happy but hoping that it will increased or will need to see dealer soon.-B
    Is there more city driving involved, or highway? If it is city, there probably isn't anything wrong. Highway, though, you should take it in to the dealer.

Remember, winter temperatures and "winter forumula" gasolines reduce fuel economy somewhat (I've noticed about a 10% dip in my mileage since October (from 29 mpg, to 26-27 ish in my 96 Accord). Give it a little time to break in, also. Some people see gains in their economy after a few thousand miles, some don't. I wouldn't fret to much, but keep us posted as things in the engine break-in a little more, and temperatures start rising in March.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    2001 Odd EX 3.5L has 205 Hp 217 Lb-Ft torque with unleaded regular while the 2001 T&C LX 3.3L has 180 HP and 210 Lb-Ft Torque.
    Do the Math: Odd has 25 more HP and a whopping 7 Lb-Ft more Torque. Even with premium unleaded, the 2001 Odd has 210 HP and 229 Lb-Ft...a difference of 30 more HP and 19 Lb-Ft Torque....

The Ody probably had even less HP, based on the new more realistic SAE test methods which now forces the Japanese to test them more realistically i.e.. crankcases full of oil etc...

I always found it funny how, for example, an Infiniti G35 V6 produced 260hp but a 225 hp BMW always beat it in acceleration?
    Please do not exaggerate the Odd engine output.

Why not? Honda has been exaggerating both output and MPG!
    Honda and Toyota are the first of few companies already going by the new testing standards of the industry. YOU know this.

Where has Honda lied about MPG? I figured you would know that Honda does not set the figures listed on the window sticker. That would be thr trusty ole Environmental Protection Agency, the same very one that provides data for your Chrysler, Joe Schmo's Nissan, and Jane Doe's Daewoo. We have always gotten at or slightly over EPA numbers i ours. Of course, we did in our Chrysler too!
  • bholabhola Posts: 15
    thegraduate,

Thanks for the response. Yes most (90%) of milage on my 2006 Ody are in the city (under speed limit of 45mph). I will wait for another thousand miles and see if it makes any improvement.-B
    Honda and Toyota are the first of few companies already going by the new testing standards of the industry. YOU know this.

The Big 3 were already testing close to new SAE, and were usually very conservative with their HP ratings, note that many domestic models actually gained HP. Many Japanese lost HP because they were testing without accessories and low oil in crankcase.

Where has Honda lied about MPG? I figured you would know that Honda does not set the figures listed on the window sticker. That would be thr trusty ole Environmental Protection Agency, the same very one that provides data for your Chrysler, Joe Schmo's Nissan, and Jane Doe's Daewoo. We have always gotten at or slightly over EPA numbers i ours. Of course, we did in our Chrysler too!

Actually manufacturers do their own testing (you think EPA has the resources to test every new and carry over model each year?) and provide data to EPA to post. Poor MPG seems a common complaint on some vehicles. I exceeded my 25mpg highway est, getting 27mpg on highway, doing 75mph on way back to PA at christmas. Not shabby for an old pushrod and 4 spd auto.
    I made a post about our 2000 Odyssey 4-speed getting over EPA posted numbers, back when we hauled stuff to move furniture into our beach condo. Perhaps we owe each other a pat on the back?
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    Sorry to hear that, but the reality is that I had a 2005 Odyssey EX-L RES with about 12000 miles and never got better than 16-17 MPG (30% city, 70% hwy) and since I had other issues for over a year, I decided to get rid of it by trading it with a beauty 2006 Sienna Limited and with almost 1000 miles I got 19-20 city and 24-25 highway... never ever again HONDA!!!!
    After two engine replacements in my mom's friend's Camry due to a sludge problem that Toyota wouldn't address, she traded on a 2005 Accord LX-V6 coupe. NEVER EVER AGAIN TOYOTA!!!!

Sorry to hear about your isolated lemon problem, agno, but it lemons aren't strangers to Toyotas either. You just got one from a Honda. They happen to every car company. Hopefully you won't hav the infamous Toyota sludge problem.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    It was not a lemon, it is just plain that HONDA was not/is not/will not be ever able to compete to the quality and reliability of TOYOTA... facts speak...:

--end of story--
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    If this is your way of supporting that toyota has better reliability and quality than Honda, you should get a better source. Has anyone ever read the fine print for JD Power and Associates surveys???
    Look buddy, there is no "end of story" as you say, until the host closes the forum to entries, which may happen soon if you keep acting like this.
    201 vs 194.....looks like hair spliting to me. Where's my Dodge?? :)

What gets me is people's attitudes that linger for years!! "I had a 1992 Caravan POS" or "My Toyota had this issue"....Face it, there's lemons enough to go around!!
    This is true. Hey, I think you and I agree on something! COOL!
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    We have enough "this vs. that" topics for comparing the features/overall reliability of different minivans. Let's get back to the minivan mileage.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Well that sure slowed things down around here...
  • Hi,

Bought 2006 Honda Odessey Touring DVD and NAV end of Sept 2005. Gas mileage is terrible - 13-15 mpg around town (same as my 2002 Suburban) and 24-25 on highway (OK, I get 18-19 on highway with my Suburban), not the 18 around town and 28 on highway they claimed and Honda had on sticker.

Sorry but last thing that bugs me, no spare with Touring model. I know all the reasons but gosh can't I at least get a spare tire with my brand new $38,000 car so I can at least put it on myself to drive to a dealer to get my fancy tire/wheel combo? I know it may damage the vehicle if you're a distance from a dealer to get replaced but what happens if you're out in the middle of desert, you get a flat, you're cell phone or other communication doesn't work? You can't even put a spare on the vehicle because you don't have one!! Thanks Honda.

Sorry, but never again a Honda. They really disappointed me. I have other issues with my new Odessey but I'll write that in a different forum.

Thanks,

bummer
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    Just took a long trip in a 2006 Sienna. 28.5 mpg averaging about 74 mph.

Did have a pretty stiff tail wind though. ;)
  • No spare? That is just plain dumb!
  • wife just got back from 1000 mile round trip. she drove 75 mph. with cruise & K & N air filter. she got 20 mpg. average!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Think K&N filters are worth it?? Make that much difference? Just wondering. Thanks
  • crissmancrissman Posts: 145
    When shopping for my wife's new car we seriously considered a Touring model Odyssey. Then I learned they had the Michelin PAX runflat tires. I assume that's the reason you have no spare. I'm sure the tires are good, but apparently they can only be fixed or replaced at Honda dealers and certain Michelin dealers. Maybe the network has improved now, but at the time that concerned me. The whole system, including the wheel, is quite specialized, and supposedly only available in the US on Touring Odysseys and Rolls Royces.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "No spare? That is just plain dumb!"

Off hand, I can't think of ANY cars which are equipped (from the factory) with BOTH Run-flat tires AND a spare.

Now, whether or not Honda's decision to equip the Touring model with Michelin PAX tires was an intelligent decision or not is certainly debatable.....but probably in a different forum than 'Van Gas Mileage'.....
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "The whole system, including the wheel, is quite specialized, and supposedly only available in the US on Touring Odysseys and Rolls Royces."

Yep. Availability is very limited (although I believe that Nissan has started to offer the PAX system as on option on all their Quest minivans starting w/ the '06 models).
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Overall average first 1400 miles 27.6 MPG ( miles driven divided by gasoline used). ;) Mostly highway but some city driving. Trip computer reads slightly higher than the manual calculation.
    Hi,

Bought 2006 Honda Odessey Touring DVD and NAV end of Sept 2005. Gas mileage is terrible - 13-15 mpg around town (same as my 2002 Suburban) and 24-25 on highway (OK, I get 18-19 on highway with my Suburban), not the 18 around town and 28 on highway they claimed and Honda had on sticker.

Sorry but last thing that bugs me, no spare with Touring model. I know all the reasons but gosh can't I at least get a spare tire with my brand new $38,000 car so I can at least put it on myself to drive to a dealer to get my fancy tire/wheel combo? I know it may damage the vehicle if you're a distance from a dealer to get replaced but what happens if you're out in the middle of desert, you get a flat, you're cell phone or other communication doesn't work? You can't even put a spare on the vehicle because you don't have one!! Thanks Honda.

Sorry, but never again a Honda. They really disappointed me. I have other issues with my new Odessey but I'll write that in a different forum.

Thanks

I hate to admit it, but shouldn't you have considered the lack of a spare before spending nearly $40k? Seems like I'd have to have known that before laying my money down.

Also, when you don't have that cell phone in the desert, you are supposed to run on your flat tire, hence the name of the technology. The tire doesn't fall to the rim, the sidewalls support the car a considerable distance.
  • They seem to help alot if you are not a hard driver.They are worth the money. You can buy one for less then two factory filters. We own three cars & three K & N air filters.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    You have to very very careful with the K&N filters. Others on Edmunds have reported Mass Air Flow sensor failures due to exceesive oil from the K&N filter. Also they tend to let larger particles through the filters tha could also cause damage downstream.