Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    On the 2005 Quest we just had a tank in primarily city driving and short trips, with one highway run.

Mileage dropped to 19.47 from the 22-24 range we've been getting otherwise.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Don't even consider the Dodge 4cyl. Not enough power, especially in the mountains and the required service on them is higher than the 6cyl.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    BUT only when driven on the highway within the speed limit.
    Idling at stop lights, stop and go, and winter driving kills gas mileage. :sick:
  • mtbiker1mtbiker1 Posts: 17
    At just over 8K miles, we finally broke the 24 mpg barrier. About 1/2 interstate (Corvallis OR to Seattle WA), half mixed city-highway. Fuel used was 1/2 tank Chevron, 1/2 Costco. Around town (the mixed city-highway mode) we've been getting 20-22 with Shell, Costco and Safeway gas during both winter and spring (I think they change the formula during the winter to support Iowa corn growers...). On the interstate and hiways we generally drive 5 mph over the limit on cruise control.

Call for opinions or knowlege: When we replace the OEM tires would we gain any noticable fuel efficiency by going from 215-60-16s to 205-60-16s? Or 195-65s? Or??
    If you're looking for every mpg you can get, the Michelin Energy tires seem to deliver better mpg, but are kind of expensive.

What kind of tire pressures are you running? Keeping those donuts firm will probably do more for you.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 13,587
    last 2 tanks (around town/very short hop driving) were about 17. About what I expected/hoped for. Our '99 Quest did about 15, maybe 16 in the same driving. Just over 3K on the clock. Maybe 18 is possible? Just have to keep my wife away from the AC button.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• aaronwiaaronwi Posts: 18
    My 02 Dakota with the 4.7 has had a maximum of 14mpg on 100% hwy at 65mph.

My average is 11hwy.

Dealer says this is normal.

I run sythentics for all fluids at the lowest viscosity recommended.

Has anyone found better results????
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    "My average is 11hwy."

Ouch!

A friend had a Durango that did about the same, but our highway speed limit is 75. That does seem a little bit low.
    I had a 2001 Dakota with a six in it and averaged around 15 1/2-17 1/2 city/hiway.
    Even all highway, I only got 19.90mpg. Never could get 20mpg. I have gotten over 21mpg on my last tank on my 2005 DGC, and that wasn't all highway driving.
    Latest trip with 05 Quest SL - 1-4 people and some equipment, 90% highway at 65-75mph, A/C on most of the way, 390 miles @ 25.5 mpg.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    The 2004 MPV just turned over 5,000 miles. Got 23.2 mpg ...about 75% highway.A/C on going about 65 mph avg. So, all hwy I'm thinking about 26mpg.I'm happy with that.Zoom ah Zoom. :P
  • ken23ken23 Posts: 3
    Very dissapointed with my 2005 Quest gas mileage, only 14-15 MPG city driving.I have a 2004 Maxima and I get 19-21 city. I traded in a Ford conversion because it got bad gas mileage and now I still have the same problem.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Don't panic. Winter driving kills gas mileage and your Quest is much heavier than your Maxima.

Did you have the same number of people and same amount of cargo in each?

Take a long highway trip and keep speed about 65 MPH and you will get 25 to 28 MPG with a 2005 Quest. :)
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Had a little free time this afternoon. So for fun I pulled out the window sticker from our 2004 Mazda MPV.I really hadn't noticed this before or read about it here, so this may be of interest. EPA on the MPV is 18 mpg city and 25 highway. Then the disclaimer. "Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions. driving habits and vehicles condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 15 and 21 in the city, and between 21 and 29 mpg on the highway."
    So, I have to ask myself....results reported to EPA from who? Other testing organizations, fleet managers, the average Joe calling in on their cellphone.
    And basically they seem to be protecting themselves even if this vehicle averaged 6mpg city and 8 hwy. So, doesn't seem to be much recourse for Ody owners or anyone else with low mpg compared to what EPA indicates.
  • mapper1mapper1 Posts: 11
    I now have 2000 miles on my '05 Chrysler T&C, and the gas mileage remains steady at 19.0 mpg in mostly city driving. It's no different now than on my very first fillup. This is mostly with just me in the van and in warmer Florida. To get the best mileage, I always never exceed the speed limit, and I look way ahead to the stop lights and always take my foot off the gas if I know the light's going to stay red. The goal is to use the brakes as little as possible. I haven't tested it on a trip yet.
    mapper1, I have a 2005 DGC with about the same mileage on it. I drive about the same as you do and live in a warm climate of Arizona. I haven't got the steady mileage as you have. I posted what I got some time back. But the best I have got so far in about 80% hiway, 20% city, is a little over 21mpg. Most of the time, it's between 17-19 mpg using a hand computer, not the one in the van. I really am waiting to get a tankfull on the open road and see what I can do.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I now have 3500 miles on here and getting 22 mpg according to overhead display. Driving is 50/50 mix. Happy so far.
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,286
    99 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport with 3.8 l engine, about 75k on the odometer.

Over the last long trip (over 2000 miles), cruising at about 80 mph, consumption about 24 mpg. One leg with 90-100 mph cruising, average about 20.5 mpg.

Regular gas, four people, AC on all the time, about 150 lbs of luggage.

I was thinking of new O2 sensors, but with this kind of economy on a six year old vehicle, I figured why bother.
    Very dissapointed with my 2005 Quest gas mileage, only 14-15 MPG city driving.I have a 2004 Maxima and I get 19-21 city. I traded in a Ford conversion because it got bad gas mileage and now I still have the same problem.

Perhaps take it to the dealer? The worst single tank we've had since breakin is about 18.5. And that was mostly city driving in Boston. So if you're averaging 20% less than our worst, there's got to be something wrong with your vehicle.

What model Quest? Driving pattern?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    How many miles do you have on the Quest? My mileage improved after several thousand miles.