Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post Your Van Gas Mileage Here

Comments

• No spare? That is just plain dumb!
  • wife just got back from 1000 mile round trip. she drove 75 mph. with cruise & K & N air filter. she got 20 mpg. average!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Think K&N filters are worth it?? Make that much difference? Just wondering. Thanks
  • crissmancrissman Posts: 145
    When shopping for my wife's new car we seriously considered a Touring model Odyssey. Then I learned they had the Michelin PAX runflat tires. I assume that's the reason you have no spare. I'm sure the tires are good, but apparently they can only be fixed or replaced at Honda dealers and certain Michelin dealers. Maybe the network has improved now, but at the time that concerned me. The whole system, including the wheel, is quite specialized, and supposedly only available in the US on Touring Odysseys and Rolls Royces.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "No spare? That is just plain dumb!"

Off hand, I can't think of ANY cars which are equipped (from the factory) with BOTH Run-flat tires AND a spare.

Now, whether or not Honda's decision to equip the Touring model with Michelin PAX tires was an intelligent decision or not is certainly debatable.....but probably in a different forum than 'Van Gas Mileage'.....
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "The whole system, including the wheel, is quite specialized, and supposedly only available in the US on Touring Odysseys and Rolls Royces."

Yep. Availability is very limited (although I believe that Nissan has started to offer the PAX system as on option on all their Quest minivans starting w/ the '06 models).
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Overall average first 1400 miles 27.6 MPG ( miles driven divided by gasoline used). ;) Mostly highway but some city driving. Trip computer reads slightly higher than the manual calculation.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Hi,

Bought 2006 Honda Odessey Touring DVD and NAV end of Sept 2005. Gas mileage is terrible - 13-15 mpg around town (same as my 2002 Suburban) and 24-25 on highway (OK, I get 18-19 on highway with my Suburban), not the 18 around town and 28 on highway they claimed and Honda had on sticker.

Sorry but last thing that bugs me, no spare with Touring model. I know all the reasons but gosh can't I at least get a spare tire with my brand new $38,000 car so I can at least put it on myself to drive to a dealer to get my fancy tire/wheel combo? I know it may damage the vehicle if you're a distance from a dealer to get replaced but what happens if you're out in the middle of desert, you get a flat, you're cell phone or other communication doesn't work? You can't even put a spare on the vehicle because you don't have one!! Thanks Honda.

Sorry, but never again a Honda. They really disappointed me. I have other issues with my new Odessey but I'll write that in a different forum.

Thanks

I hate to admit it, but shouldn't you have considered the lack of a spare before spending nearly $40k? Seems like I'd have to have known that before laying my money down.

Also, when you don't have that cell phone in the desert, you are supposed to run on your flat tire, hence the name of the technology. The tire doesn't fall to the rim, the sidewalls support the car a considerable distance.
  • They seem to help alot if you are not a hard driver.They are worth the money. You can buy one for less then two factory filters. We own three cars & three K & N air filters.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    You have to very very careful with the K&N filters. Others on Edmunds have reported Mass Air Flow sensor failures due to exceesive oil from the K&N filter. Also they tend to let larger particles through the filters tha could also cause damage downstream.
    Trip computer reads a little higher average MPG than manual calculation (28.1 MPG trip computer vs 27.2 MPG using manual calculation). However, my son's Ody odometer read 15.6 miles on the exact same course my Sienna odometer read 14.7 miles.
    My Sienna now has 1470 miles which would have been measured 1560 miles in the Odyssey. Using the 1560 miles the Ody registered divided by gasoline used in my Sienna, the overall AVERAGE mileage would be 28.9 MPG...instead of the 27.2 MPG calculated. The Trip Computer reads 28.1 MPG overall average which is higher than manual calculation but lower if I used the erroneous mileage that the Ody would have read.
    Now I wonder if reports of the Ody mileage is based on ACTUAL miles driven or the higher miles that the inaccurate Ody odometer registers?
  • How did you figure out that it was the Ody that was wrong? Could it not have been the Sienna? Or some combination of the two?

Regardless, if the Ody is reporting higher than actual distance traveled and its still reporting bad gas mileage ... that's really bad.
    Good point. On a different test, the 2001 Ody EX odometer registered 38.0 miles while my 2002 T&C LX odometer registered 36.8 miles. In this situation, the Ody read 3.254 % more miles than the T&C while the Ody read 6.12 % more distance travelled than the Sienna LE.
    Now I need to check the obvious: Drive the T&C on a mileage check to compare with the Sienna.
    Maybe all 3 are in error?

I think I would get better gas mileage in the Ody if I drove it on a trip than my son has reported for his trips.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    i'd make sure every van's tires are properly sized and inflated before taking them on a measured course.
  • Hi,

To the individual who wrote the following:

"I hate to admit it, but shouldn't you have considered the lack of a spare before spending nearly $40k? Seems like I'd have to have known that before laying my money down.

Also, when you don't have that cell phone in the desert, you are supposed to run on your flat tire, hence the name of the technology. The tire doesn't fall to the rim, the sidewalls support the car a considerable distance."

Yes, I did look into the spare as I wanted to know where it was located and what type of spare was included. That's when I found out there wasn't any AND yes, I did ask the dealer to include a spare and guess what, they wouldn't because they said I got a great deal on the vehicle and if I wanted the spare, it would cost extra. YES, I was ready to walk away and believe me I wasn't happy but I had looked around for approx. 3-4 months for this particular model (dark blue exterior, gray leather interior, touring, NAV, DVD) and just simply couldn't. And YES, I do know you can drive the vehicle with the "apparent" flat tire but the fact is what happens when you're driving on a Saturday night, you're tires get slashed by lingering metal in the road, you drive howe say the 5 miles, park the car in the garage, and the next morning your tire is completely flat and you can't drive it nor do you have a spare to put on the vehicle to get to the dealer. Luckliy, it happened at home but not out in the desert.

thanks, :mad:

john
  • "and the next morning your tire is completely flat and you can't drive it"

This won't happen with run-flats. The tires won't collapse - even with zero tire pressure. (Wasn't this explained in the post you quoted?) I think your frustration comes from misunderstanding the technology. That van doesn't have a spare tire because it doesn't need a spare tire.

Now there is a valid argument that you could get a flat on a Sunday with few tire stores open and even fewer with run-flats in stock. The limited range allowed on the flat tire could put you in a bind.
  • Inherited a 97 town and country from my grandparents estate this past summer. I have not taken any trips yet, but will be taking a 600 mile roundtrip in march to appleton wis and a round trip to Minnesota in April. Around town I acheive a guzzling 12 mpg. I must say that the maintanance in the last year of their lives has fallen off and I am planning a full oil and filter change as well as a lube, air filter change and a new fuel filter. The vehicle has 67,000 miles on the original fuel filter. Will keep posting on any changes when I get the changes completed.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I had a 96 SWB Caravan with same engine and easily got 20-25 mpg (50/50 city/highway). Seems like something isn't right??
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I'd agree, something is amiss in that engine...New air filter and spark plugs should make that MPG number jump if they've never been replaced. Maybe as much as 2-3 mpg.
  • Thanks guys for the info. Most of the driving is in the city since my wife takes it to work and the kid around town. I am going to try new air filter, fuel filter and a change of oil and filter. When I hit 75,000 miles I want to replace plugs and wires. I am actually about to take it in to get the first service done. I tried to change the air filter myself but, was unable to get the air filter box open even after the bolts were removed....it is below zero here and I was worried if I pulled too hard I would crack or fracture the box and have to install a new one.