Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn VUE AC and Heat Problems

Comments

• sadvueownersadvueowner Posts: 7
    edited July 2011
    I had my AC repaired by a certified GMC dealer at total cost of $663.21, the price included repair of tire $24.95, A/C compressor to condenser line, part# PO89561 at a cost of $125.92, and had to replace 24 ounces LOCALSUVAX freon $1.80/ounce for a total of $43.20, labor cost was a whooping $407.98.

All the rest of the suggested repairs were suggested to make money, I mean let's take a look at the suggestions Serp. belt $150, front control arm bushings $420, front pads and rotors (4MM-5MM) $330 (dealer didn't know I had this done at end of 2010), I believe that I got over charged even for this A/C hose that was most likely made in China, and defective and only lasted 4 plus years. Bottom line I am glad Saturn went out of business I am looking forward to seeing other greedy USA car manufacturers to go out of business. Most of us are lucky to have jobs, yet these business continue to gauge their customers, it's all about the money, regardless that their service and product is inferior.

What I want to know why didn't the dealer find any of these issues at my last visit, before the warranty expired? They were so nice before the warranty expired, but never found any issues unless I complained about them. I forgot to ask for all the parts that were replaced, if any of you are having repairs made, ask the dealer for all the parts the dealer replaces, tell him to put it in the plastic bag, that is great evidence.

What happened to the recall of this inferior product?

Few facts about Saturn cars from 2009 and on, they were really Opel's renamed, some with intent to confuse the target audience others left alone like Astra, Vue was the Opel Antara, etc...shame. So now some of us know why Saturn turned to sell Opel's repackaged as Satrun's, Saturn product was inferior.
  • Next car purchase will have to include 100,000 warranty at no extra cost, you want my business you will have to sell me a great product, at a great cost, no compromise. I purchased domestic most of my life, at this point in time I don't care who produces it as long as its a great product, so no more preferential treatment for domestic manufacturers.
  • Air condition blows cool for appox. 15-20 mins...then HOT AIR ONLY.... I've been quoted anywhere from $400.00 to $900.00 bucks to get it fixed and the dealers says it's not under warranty... Maybe I'm not clear what Bumper to Bumper means.
  • Was there a recall? We just bought a 2004 vie for my daughter. Air works better than a Honda's when driving, but begins to blow warm when idling. Live in AZ, so not ideal.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,168
    kimin2son,

I would be happy to check to see if your vehicle has a recall. Please email me your VIN.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • kennk41kennk41 Posts: 4
    I have been reading the posts about the Air not working in their 2008 VUE..I to am facing this problem. The warranty has expired,and the air control seems to be stuck in the defrost/floor mode. I have had nothing but trouble with this car from the start. From Electrical to you name it. I lost count on how many times I have brought the car in for service. Are there any suggestions as to what I can do? I cannot trade it in at the moment, and I do not have a lot of money to invest into this vehicle. The car is a lease, so at least I can turn it in next year.. I so wanted to keep it, but the issues are never ending.

Your very dissatisfied GM customer,
    Ken K
  • I have a 2005 Saturn Vue. 3 days ago I replaced one of the adjusters for the shifter. Yesterday as I am driving home my battery light came on. Today when I went to lunch my truck died. My boyfriend came to rescue me and we went and bought a new battery. Truck started great but about 5 miles later the battery light came back on and the ac is not cooling. Any one with similar problems?
  • Sounds to me like NHTSA needs to recall all Saturn Vue's from 2003-2009, but I think they have not received enough complaints, for A/C issues, transmission issues, front arm bushings, all at the expense of GM, since that is who is responsible for the now defunct Saturn corporation.

All the people that are having issues with Vue, Ion, etc., should file a formal complaint with NHTSA, maybe some of us can get some money back for all the repairs that we had to pay out of pocket for something that we should not have paid any money. In my case it appears that GMC replaced a lot more then just one A/C hose, which a dealer would never do unless there is something in it for them...very fishy, yet there are no recalls, on any Vue of any year at least not for A/C.

To file a complaint go here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
  • tltb1tltb1 Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 saturn vue 3.5 v6. For the last couple years, when we come to a stop or it is at idle, the a/c blows warm. As soon as we start moving again, it blows cold. We have taken it to several shops and been told everything from "it just needs freon" to the compressor is "weak" and needs to be replaced. Based on reading of the threads here, it seems a common problem and no one has been able to resolve it. (Including the GM customer service). Has anyone with this issue had it successfully diagnosed and repaired? I hate to put in a new compressor like several others have done, only to have the same problem continue. Thanks.
  • vnixvnix Posts: 5
    I have the same issues as others have voiced. I will drive for about 10 minutes and then the A/C will blow hot, and will not come back. After I park the car overnight, sometimes it comes back for a few days, but then it will go out again. Have had some kind of gas test done to detect leaks, had the thermostat replaced and still it is not working. Now the A/C light will flash if I try to push it on, and the A/C just keeps blowing hot. What is being done about this issue by GM. Has there been a recall? If not, there should be. It's putting GM in a very bad light by not addressing this issue that is clearly a problem.
    Thanks for that link. I filed a complaint yesterday, and would encourage others to do the same. I would like to think that perhaps the problem has just not been recognized by the right people yet. But I am on my 3rd round of repairs on my A/C in under 3 weeks and nothing seems to be working.
    vnix,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your A/C. Have you had the vehicle into the dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Can I have the link?
    Hello,
    I have not reported the problem to the dealership because
    They want $95 dollars to just look at it

Thanks
    Caron, I sent you an email teling you where I had it serviced, but I will repeat the message.

I have had it at a GM dealer twice in 3 weeks for the same issue. Another appointment Thursday. A/C went out on me again on the way to vacation, so it is the first appt after I get back that I could get. They have already done a gas test and replaced the thermostat.

JBA Superstore GM Dealer - Glen Burnie MD
    ravenhairone,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed? Please keep me posted on any information after the vehicle has been diagnosed by a GM dealership.

Thank you,
  • I have a 2007 Vue and my A/C has been out for a while. I live in AZ where not having A/C in the summer is not the best thing. I had it checked out and was told that the compressor is either out or there is some debris in the compressor. Is this covered under the warranty?
  • otbugotbug Posts: 1
    My 2008 Saturn Vue Redline has just over 50,000 miles. Recently the AC and defrost controls have been acting up. When I change the control from defrost to thermostat or bi-level it sometimes doesn't respond to the change. Today, it was over 100 degrees and I had it set at the coldest setting, automatic climate control, and recirculated air. That would in the past make the car very cold. Today, the vents hardly blew and I could feel a little coming from the floor vent, and that was it. It got really hot! Any ideas?
  • I took my 2009 Saturn Vue Hybrid into a dealer in Dover, Delaware due to A/C failure. They told me I am missing my clutch assembly on my A/C compressor. I have 45,000 miles on my vehicle does this part just fall off? This repair is in the 750 plus dollar range. Is it able to be done by myself?
  • Hi, I have the same issue. I am missing my clutch assembly it's a press on part that obviously just falls off after X amount of miles. Definitely not a happy camper.
    mwood7825,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. For specific warranty questions I would recommend contacting your local GM dealership as they are the best resource.

Thank you,
    otbug,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your A/C. Were you planning on having the vehicle looked at by your local GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • What I want to know has anyone at all gotten anything from GM Customer Service, besides lip service and empty apologies? They can't even tell you if any A/C issues are covered under warranty for any model make and year, common, and then tell out right to ask your local dealer that could care less, since either way they get paid. Everyone can see that there are issue with Saturn Vue's A/C, except GM, I mean when a part disappears clutch assembly on an A/C compressor falls off, one can only conclude one thing manufacturing defect, and all affected models need to be recalled, customers compensated for any costs incurred do to that defect, it is that simple, GM needs to do the right thing, if you want to retain customer base, otherwise you will go out of business.
    sadvueowner,
    Please take the time to check out the following link:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f1679/170

The dealer is really your best resource for warranty information. Why you may ask? The dealer is the one who can look at the vehicle, diagnosis it, and pin point the exact part to look. I apologize this frustrates you. If you are unhappy with your dealer, I would be more than happy to assist you in finding a different dealer. Please feel free to email me with your VIN and zip code and I will look into a dealer for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I am an owner of a 2008 Sat Vue w/approx 53,XXX miles. I have been pulling my hair out over the AC issue - the same as I am seeing posted here. It might blow cold for 10 minutes, then stops working. This is not good or acceptable for my children on a 100 degree days we've had here in MO this summer...and as much as this vehicle is worth I expect it to work properly. My mechanic (I don't trust dealerships based upon past experiences) has been scratching his head over this issue for 2 months now. Recall?
  • Thank you for the link. I am in the process of filing a complaint for my A/C.
  • My Vue has 75,000 km (not miles) on it. The A/C wasn't very cold starting in late June; I took it into the dealership and they topped up the coolant, and put a dye in to check for any future leaks. It worked fine, icy cold until last week, when all it does is blow hot air.

I took it into the dealership again, where the diagnosis is that the compressor hose has two leaks; and I was quoted $1,500 for the repair. This seems outrageous to me. Why is a 5 year old vehicle with so few km having this many problems with the A/C? Is anyone else experiencing similar problems; and has GM offered to do anything about it?
    susieq06vue,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you been in contact with GM Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
  • Thanks Caron, I don't know my case number, but have spoken with a person named Chantina at x2729 at GM Canada's customer care centre. She spoke with the dealership and with "the technical people", and because there is nothing in their internal database regarding a problem with the Saturn Vue a/c, they are washing their hands of it. I suggested she check this forum, as there seem to be a lot of people experiencing similar problems as mine; and I mentioned that GM US customer service monitors this forum; but she said that they don't pay attention to external forums.

She didn't (or I guess GM Canada) doesn't see this as a problem. I'm left with the impression that GM doesn't build a quality product, or build it to last any length of time, or stand behind their product.

I hadn't purchased a GM product in the past as I had concerns about the quality (my previous vehicles were a 92 jetta, which is still running fine, and a 2001 honda accord, which is also still running fine). Funny that my 5 year old vehicle with less than 100000 km/60000 miles is starting to fall apart. I took a chance on the Saturn as it had a Honda engine. No problems with the Honda parts.. just the GM ones. I still fail to understand why a hose is $700 when at partsource it is $29.

It is very unlikely I will ever again purchase a GM product; or recommend that anyone else buy one.

Susan