Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn VUE AC and Heat Problems

Comments

• aerial_22aerial_22 Posts: 5
    Sarah,

I haven't taken it to the GM dealership yet. I took it to my local repair center to have the freon level checked/recharged. The only official dealership that services Saturn vehicles is all the way across town. Should I take it in to them to get an official opinion from a Certified Saturn dealership?
  • vickie48vickie48 Posts: 1
    I also live in Mo and I have a 2010 Vue and it does the same thing. blows cold for a little bit but once the temp reaches above 85 out all it does is blow cool air and even for that I have to keep it going full blast and it barely keeps the front cool and does nothing for the back seat where my grandkids ride. I have taken it in twice and the first time there was a cracks in the seals and freon had leaked out. they fixed that, then I had to take it back because it was blowing air as if I just had the vents on not the ac. they said it was the doors not opening and they I guess opened them, but it still never compleatly cooled off the car even after the two trips in with it. And once again not blowing but barely cool air. SO I guess its another trip back in. Getting tired of it NOT being fixed. They are going to hate seeing me come in..oh and I live 100+ miles from the dealership..I am beginning to wish I had never bought this car. Had to have the transmission overhauled 7 months ago too. so far no more trouble with that. :lemon:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning vickie48,

I can certainly understand how these several trips into the dealership for this matter have been frustrating for you. If we can look into this further with you, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lm6lm6 Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid and the A/C has stopped blowing cold air. According to the dealer, the A/C hub & compressor "fell apart" when they removed it. Replacement costs is $1100. Needless to say, I am not very happy. THIS VEHICLE IS ONLY 5 YEARS OLD w/70,000 miles on it. After reading the postings on the Edmunds site it looks like this pretty typical.

Why would GM continue to use parts in its vehicles with known issues? I also had a 1997 Grand Am with the same A/C problems and after spending $1000+, the A/C still never worked for more than a week. This time I am making sure a dealer takes care of the problem, but again, the car is only 5 years old.

If so many people are having this problem, shouldn't there be a recall? Will GM pick up the cost of my repairs? I have been a lifelong GM customer, but like the other posters am not so sure I want to continue that trend.

I have sent my info to GM Customer Service and am awaiting a reply.
  • Update: I didn't fix the A/C over the winter; and took it to a different Toronto dealership yesterday. They called this morning and left a message; the diagnosis is that my condenser needs replacing. No mention of cracked condenser hoses. Estimate: $1035 + tax for the part.

I'm waiting to hear back from them to understand why the diagnosis is so different. And whether the estimate from last summer for the hoses is going to come into play and I'll end up with a $3000+ bill.
  • sbelcher1sbelcher1 Posts: 2
    A couple of weeks ago while I was driving I heard a big thunk, not seeing anything in the road upon hearing said noise I continued on my way. Then I realized the ac wasn't blowing cold anymore. I took it into my local Chevy dealer and had them check it out. Turns out the AC clutch that is riveted to the compressor broke off and was no longer anywhere to be found. My extended warranty people said that since there was a "missing part" they refuse to cover it. If this is such a common problem with these vehicles why hasn't there been a recall issued? I can't afford $1100 to get my compressor replaced and I live in Florida...and we are coming up on the hottest part of the year. My car is only 5 years old...this shouldn't have happened. Parts that are riveted to another part shouldn't just break off.
  • aerial_22aerial_22 Posts: 5
    Definitely feel your pain sbelcher1! I guess I was at least lucky enough to get double the mileage before my a/c broke down, but like you my vehicle is only 5 years old. I also can't afford to get it repaired at the moment and I live in Texas, where temperatures will soon rise into the triple digits. If this is such a common issue, GM should have definitely recalled this part. Much like with a known issue on my last GM vehicle (1999 Pontiac Grand Am) they won't recall a vehicle for a known issue unless it's considered a safety issue. Well guess what, driving with no a/c/ in a Texas summer is hazardous. Fortunately my a/c compressor stills at least blows cold air when the vehicle is turning a high enough RPM, but it's a matter of time before it gives out all together. If they aren't going to recall the problem GM should at least cover part of the expense for the repair.
  • This seems to be a common issue, and although there are TSB (tech service bulletins) GM service techs make no mention of them. I actually brought my daughter's Vue in during the warranty period when her A/C was occassionally not cooling. We were told that everything was "fine"...now, her Vue is out of warranty, and the A/C is blowing warm air almost all the time except for the first 5 min of using the vehicle in the morning. The A/C system is fully charged, and the a/c clutch simply doesn't engage. This should have been addressed when I initially brought the vehicle in. Very dissappointing. going to take Vue in tomorrow morning to a local GM service center. I can only imagine what I'll hear...
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,081
    hot_vue_owner,
    Thank you for posting your experience. Please let me know how things go at the dealership. Feel free to email me directly; please include your VIN and current mileage. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • teresal1teresal1 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2004 Saturn Vue in January. I live in Indiana. Something similar to whats being discussed in this forum happened with my vehicle. I was driving down the road with the AC on and all of a sudden I felt a jolt. I pulled over checked it out, saw nothing. After that the ac was blowing hot air. I've had it recharged twice and now I was told by a tech at CarX that the air-compressor is bad, he gave me an estimate of $1000 which I can not afford. Yet, I still have to make payments and pay car insurance. Not to mention I purchased an additional warranty which does not cover this issue.
  • papalocopapaloco Posts: 1
    I currently have the same problem of cooling when going down the road, but not at idle. I have noticed that when the engine is cold and you turn on the A/C you do not hear the fans running at a high rate of speed like you do when the engine gets warm. I know my fans run at the higher speed by shutting the engine off and turning the key into the run position and listening for the fans. I have found that when I turn the A/C on that the fans are turning, but very slow. Normally these fans are controlled by the computer with several inputs to make the decision on how fast the fans are to run. I have been unsuccessful in finding out what inputs control the fans through the computer. I have had the system completely recharged and leak tested. If you have found any new info on the fix I sure would like to hear it. I can not even find a good manual on this information. If I find the solution I will post.
  • vue_chenvue_chen Posts: 1
    My 2008 VUE XR has the same A/C problem. It will blow warm air all the time except the first 3 or 4 min. The freon is recharged, I paid for the labor but the problem still exist.
  • sbelcher1sbelcher1 Posts: 2
    So my AC clutch just fell off...no reason for it...just fell off and was told that since I bought it used and the fact it is out of the bumper to bumper warranty they will do nothing to help me. So now I am looking at an $1100 repair because the parts are so hard to get and the fact that they raise the prices on the parts for mine because it is part hybrid. Not to mention that the extended warranty I bought when I bought the car won't cover the repair because it fell off and they consider that a "missing part" since I didn't notice that it fell off and I didn't stop and pick it up (and risk my life in rush hour traffic) and they don't cover missing parts. Needless to say this is probably the first and last GM vehicle I will own. Parts just shouldn't fall off your vehicle while you are driving down the road.
    sbelcher1,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Can you please email me directly with you VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response. I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    vue_chen,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Have you brought the vehicle back to the dealer to check it out? Can you please send me an email with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • voodoogalvoodoogal Posts: 3
    I see this Christina person posting all the time. Has anyone actually gotten anywhere with customer service???
  • Same thing with my 07' Vue... The compressor is buried below all the electrical components and is impossible to access... Good Bye GM...
  • teh0023teh0023 Posts: 1
    Purchased vehicle at 26k miles and a/c was not cooling well. Took it in and dealership said there were no problems with it. Three summers later, decided to get it checked again. Dealership replaced compressor and still not cooling well. They've asked me to bring it back in, so they can drive it around to re-test. I'm not confident with this dealership and can't imagine what else they can do if they've already replaced the a/c.

Please help....thank you!!
    teh0023,

If you do decide to go back to your dealership and would like for us to work alongside you and your dealer, please send the following information to us at socialmedia@gm.com:
    Your name and Edmunds username
    Phone and address
    The last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage
    The name of your involved dealership and details of your recent visit (including date, amount paid, etc).

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • bobbisbobbis Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 saturn vue which i bought brand new. about 2 years ago, the air stopped working. when i had it checked out the repair shop said that the compressor was just gone. Now I am looking at this web site and am seeing that there are many others with the same problem. can anyone tell me if GM is doing anything about it? I have been living without air for the last 2 summers. now the temps are too high. no matter where i go, it is 100 degrees + in the car.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the compressor/clutch if i do find the part somewhere?
  • My Saturn 2005 Vue, which I have owned for a year, just disappointed me. AC was fine, turned it back on later in the day and its blowing hot. I charged the system to make sure it wasnt the refrigerant, but its still blowing hot. Why is this a cronic problem for us Saturn owners..
    idolmaker66,

I'm sorry to read about your air conditioning problem, especially during these hot summer months. Should you decide to work with a dealership to get this looked into, be sure to let us know as we're happy to be available to assist in whatever way we can.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I'm in the same boat as everyone else. AC compressor went out and everything is out of warrenty. Have an esitmate for 1000 to fix it but there is another expensive electrical problem that caused it and I can only hope that is cheaper to fix but dout it. I can say This 07 Vue greenline will be the last GM I buy too. As soon as I can pay more on my loan and may come close to breaking even its back to toyota for me!!!!
  • what exactly and how can you help?
  • i also have a 2009 vue with the A/C controls problem, the fan speeds work fine, trying to change the air flow from flor to defrost or thru the vents does nothing.. most of the air comes out on the floor a slight amount thru the vents and defrost..all at the same time..this is very frustrating as a 2008 Vue we had was doing the same thing.
    With the 2009, this has happened several time and seams to clear up on its own. This time it is not clearing up and we are going thru 100 deg temps. I called the Dealer today and he wants $85 an hour to pull the dash apart to investigate... I tried to explain about what was done on the previous Vue I had.. to reporgram the A/C controller.. he said he had never heard that.

Any help from GM on getting this resolved? It is an obvious issue
  • mike3483mike3483 Posts: 1
    I have the same exact issue. I have a 2007 Saturn Vue with less than 44,000 miles on it. The air will blow cold if you are driving at speed or keep the RPMs up but it is useless in city driving. Took it in today and got a $1200 estimate for replacing the compressor, I have to say if this is the quality that GM is going sell me I don't see myself buying any more from them. I have purchased 4 brand new GM vehicles in the last 15 years, never again.
    Good morning mandkfarmer,

If you would like for us to look into this further with you, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. With this information, we will set up a Service Request and begin to evaluate the situation.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good morning mike3483,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your air compressor in your Vue. If you would like for us to look into anything, please don't hesitate to get in touch via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, as well as the name of your involved dealership with a brief summary of the situation).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dee102492dee102492 Posts: 2
    I also have this same problem with the air conditioner, it blows out hot air, under 30 mph, which in city driving is just useless, took it to the dealer and had it checked out, and they tell me i need a new air compressor and it will cost around 1800.00. I only have 60,000 miles on this vehicle. They should really put a recall out on this, if so many other saturns are having the same issue.
  • Caron,and/ or Sarah,
    GM Customer Service

I do have the same problems with my Saturn Vue 2005. I bought it in the summer of 2007 with 25K miles Ac was just fine. In the following winter I realized that car ( transmission) has low power when car is cold (cold weather) I took it to the Saturn dealer and they couldn't find the problem I was not happy with their services and to me they were hiding something but what I can do?
    Now I am reading the posting for similar problem and I am more than convinced that they knew the problem but they did not want to fix it because the car was under warranty. 2 month ago the transmission just broke and I had to re-build it. The AC had problem last year but this year stop working at all I have re-charged, change the pressure switch etc reading the postings from others I see the same experience I have

Can you please help me to understand, and fix the problem. I am new to the site can you send me your contact email

Thanks,

A.S.