Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn VUE AC and Heat Problems

Comments

• If you would like to get a Customer Assistance Case set up, please email us more information including your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, your servicing dealership, and any further details about the vehicle concerns you would like to include.

Also, congratulations on the new addition to your family! Hope all goes well.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jtyerjtyer Posts: 1
    did you get your problem with the ac heater fixed & what was done to fix the problem
  • Commands from Floor/Panel/Defrost knob are ignored. Also, the 3 buttons along the bottom are not functioning (A/C, rear defrost, recirculate?) Reading the other threads, it sounds like a reset by disconnecting the battery may correct it?? ...or make something else happen... like the check engine light coming on or something.
    Blower and temperature (blend door) controls work fine. Any thoughts??
    VIN GZCZ23D53S833359
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    You could try running HVAC control through calibration mode to see if the mode door motor is out of sync w/ the control head.

With key ON ... calibrate mode door by simultaneously pushing the A/C and RECIRC buttons on HVAC control module three times each, within two seconds of initial push.

• The A/C and RECIRC button LED's will flash while this calibration is taking place.

• The calibration will take anywhere between 10 to 30 seconds depending on battery voltage.

• The LED's will quit flashing when the calibration is complete.

Cycle ignition and check for improvement.
  • My heater is working fine but my a/c is not. I'm not low on fluids however my battery light tends to come on and go off (the battery is fine). Could the battery connection be causing the problem with my a/c?

PepBoys told me I have a crack in the a/c cylendar but I caught them lying about a couple of other things so I don't know what to believe.
  • While I am unable to assist with technical information, if you needed assistance in working with a dealership please don't hesitate to let us know!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • fishy35fishy35 Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    I just took mine in today same problem type of problem the clutch assembly mounting plate fell off yesterday. I have 46635 miles on the car and it has not even been three years. I've seen many posts on several sites with the same issure in the 2008 and 2009 models. I think this should be a recall issue or at least a TSB. With it happening to so many Vue's. Plan to send a complaint to GM and the NTSB. Maybe at some point they accept the responsibility for the defective part and reimburse those of us who have already had to pay for the part.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    fishy35,

If you haven't gotten in touch already with Customer Assistance, please send us an email at socialmedia@gm.com and we'd be happy to look into this further with you.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • aerial_22aerial_22 Posts: 5
    Well looks like the manager at the service center I took my Saturn to was correct. We have a 2007 Saturn VUE with the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine. We recently starting having trouble with the a/c cooling while we were sitting idle. When we got up to speed the a/c would begin cooling again. I took it in to my local service center thinking it was likely low on freon. Well it was a little low on freon, however the problem was with the a/c compressor. It isn't providing enough pressure at the low side of the a/c compressor. When the vehicle gets up to speed it kicks to the high side and begins cooling. The service manager at my local service center said we will need to replace the compressor, and due to the design also replace the condenser. I'm looking at a $2,000 repair on a vehicle that is just now 5 years old. This isn't an isolated event. My service manager said he had to perform the same repair on 5 VUE's last year around this same time.

Does GM not realize this is a problem? Based on the responses on this forum and others it appears to be a pretty common issue. This is the first major issue we have had with our Saturn. I gave GM a second chance after all of the time and money I poured into my 1999 Pontiac Grand Am, as I thought Saturn was different. If I'm expected to pay to replace an a/c compressor after just 5 years I would have to say this will definitely be my last GM vehicle.
    aerial_22,

I'm sorry that the A/C issue was not due to freon level but rather the air compressor. If we can look into this further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah,

I haven't taken it to the GM dealership yet. I took it to my local repair center to have the freon level checked/recharged. The only official dealership that services Saturn vehicles is all the way across town. Should I take it in to them to get an official opinion from a Certified Saturn dealership?
  • vickie48vickie48 Posts: 1
    I also live in Mo and I have a 2010 Vue and it does the same thing. blows cold for a little bit but once the temp reaches above 85 out all it does is blow cool air and even for that I have to keep it going full blast and it barely keeps the front cool and does nothing for the back seat where my grandkids ride. I have taken it in twice and the first time there was a cracks in the seals and freon had leaked out. they fixed that, then I had to take it back because it was blowing air as if I just had the vents on not the ac. they said it was the doors not opening and they I guess opened them, but it still never compleatly cooled off the car even after the two trips in with it. And once again not blowing but barely cool air. SO I guess its another trip back in. Getting tired of it NOT being fixed. They are going to hate seeing me come in..oh and I live 100+ miles from the dealership..I am beginning to wish I had never bought this car. Had to have the transmission overhauled 7 months ago too. so far no more trouble with that. :lemon:
    Good morning vickie48,

I can certainly understand how these several trips into the dealership for this matter have been frustrating for you. If we can look into this further with you, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lm6lm6 Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid and the A/C has stopped blowing cold air. According to the dealer, the A/C hub & compressor "fell apart" when they removed it. Replacement costs is $1100. Needless to say, I am not very happy. THIS VEHICLE IS ONLY 5 YEARS OLD w/70,000 miles on it. After reading the postings on the Edmunds site it looks like this pretty typical.

Why would GM continue to use parts in its vehicles with known issues? I also had a 1997 Grand Am with the same A/C problems and after spending $1000+, the A/C still never worked for more than a week. This time I am making sure a dealer takes care of the problem, but again, the car is only 5 years old.

If so many people are having this problem, shouldn't there be a recall? Will GM pick up the cost of my repairs? I have been a lifelong GM customer, but like the other posters am not so sure I want to continue that trend.

I have sent my info to GM Customer Service and am awaiting a reply.
  • Update: I didn't fix the A/C over the winter; and took it to a different Toronto dealership yesterday. They called this morning and left a message; the diagnosis is that my condenser needs replacing. No mention of cracked condenser hoses. Estimate: $1035 + tax for the part.

I'm waiting to hear back from them to understand why the diagnosis is so different. And whether the estimate from last summer for the hoses is going to come into play and I'll end up with a $3000+ bill.
  • sbelcher1sbelcher1 Posts: 2
    A couple of weeks ago while I was driving I heard a big thunk, not seeing anything in the road upon hearing said noise I continued on my way. Then I realized the ac wasn't blowing cold anymore. I took it into my local Chevy dealer and had them check it out. Turns out the AC clutch that is riveted to the compressor broke off and was no longer anywhere to be found. My extended warranty people said that since there was a "missing part" they refuse to cover it. If this is such a common problem with these vehicles why hasn't there been a recall issued? I can't afford $1100 to get my compressor replaced and I live in Florida...and we are coming up on the hottest part of the year. My car is only 5 years old...this shouldn't have happened. Parts that are riveted to another part shouldn't just break off.
    Definitely feel your pain sbelcher1! I guess I was at least lucky enough to get double the mileage before my a/c broke down, but like you my vehicle is only 5 years old. I also can't afford to get it repaired at the moment and I live in Texas, where temperatures will soon rise into the triple digits. If this is such a common issue, GM should have definitely recalled this part. Much like with a known issue on my last GM vehicle (1999 Pontiac Grand Am) they won't recall a vehicle for a known issue unless it's considered a safety issue. Well guess what, driving with no a/c/ in a Texas summer is hazardous. Fortunately my a/c compressor stills at least blows cold air when the vehicle is turning a high enough RPM, but it's a matter of time before it gives out all together. If they aren't going to recall the problem GM should at least cover part of the expense for the repair.
  • This seems to be a common issue, and although there are TSB (tech service bulletins) GM service techs make no mention of them. I actually brought my daughter's Vue in during the warranty period when her A/C was occassionally not cooling. We were told that everything was "fine"...now, her Vue is out of warranty, and the A/C is blowing warm air almost all the time except for the first 5 min of using the vehicle in the morning. The A/C system is fully charged, and the a/c clutch simply doesn't engage. This should have been addressed when I initially brought the vehicle in. Very dissappointing. going to take Vue in tomorrow morning to a local GM service center. I can only imagine what I'll hear...
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    hot_vue_owner,
    Thank you for posting your experience. Please let me know how things go at the dealership. Feel free to email me directly; please include your VIN and current mileage. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • teresal1teresal1 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2004 Saturn Vue in January. I live in Indiana. Something similar to whats being discussed in this forum happened with my vehicle. I was driving down the road with the AC on and all of a sudden I felt a jolt. I pulled over checked it out, saw nothing. After that the ac was blowing hot air. I've had it recharged twice and now I was told by a tech at CarX that the air-compressor is bad, he gave me an estimate of $1000 which I can not afford. Yet, I still have to make payments and pay car insurance. Not to mention I purchased an additional warranty which does not cover this issue.