Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn VUE AC and Heat Problems

Comments

• reneejgreneejg Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    My 03 saturn vue is acting up again on Friday. Had ac replaced in may due to same issues I'm having now and last month (took it back and they found nothing wrong) but worse now. My ac was on and I had no pickup and RPMs going up to 3 1/2. So I turned off the a/c and it felt a little better. Then I started to smell the burning rubber again. Car had no pickup rpms up to 4 got up to 30mph. Got home n light white smoke coming out by my passenger tire n under the hood on passenger side only. Tried to drive it around my parking lot n it would barely move, like it was stiff? Drove fine to work today with the a/c OFF.
    Any ideas? I'm taking it back to the shop that fixed it tomorrow and demanding they fix it for free. If they misdiagnosed it not my problem...
  • I have a 2005 Saturn Vue, AWD V6 3.5L that we bought used about three months ago.. it currently has 98k miles on it and we just started hearing an intermittent knocking sound coming from the dash when you turn the AC/Heat on... It is not constant nor does it do it continuously once it starts doing it.. I've already pulled the blower motor and verified that the fan was tight on the motor shaft and that does not seem to have helped. I've also checked the cabin air filter housing to very it wasn't loose and it wasn't.. It really sounds like something is hitting against something else and you can feel the knock in the dashboard.. Any ideas???
  • 2004 Saturn VUE V6 awd Automatic Transmission
    A couple months prior to all my dash lights beginning to flash on and off, and my power steering going out, I was having a problem with my A/C as well. I thought it was related to the Dash light thing, but now I'm not so sure.
    My A/C used to be very powerful, then suddenly one day I went someplace, and it was very hot outside, and the A/C did not get cold until I was on the freeway. Then suddenly at about 50 MPH, it began to work fine. Then all subsequent trips it was the same problem.
    A couple or few months after that started, is when the dash light problem started. At first we would take the relays out and reinsert them, and the car would work fine for about a week So we started replacing the relays thinking maybe it was that. But after a while, it just got worse and worse, and we can't drive it anywhere without the dash lights flashing, loss of power steering, A/C lights, pretty much everything electrical. It's very scary, and dangerous.
    What can we do about this very dangerous situation.
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    Yours are the classic symptoms of a failing body control module (often called BCM) When you pull the relays and put them back you reboot the BCM and it works for a while. Yes, your AC issues and flashing dash lights, etc are likely related to this issue.

Unfortunately this is a dealer only repair as the new one has to be programmed for your car...repair should be around $700...

Best of luck...
  • I have a '08 vue that I bought new within the year I started having a/c problems where I could not get the temp to change from hot to cold or vice versa or get it to change from face to feet etc. then the air wasn't blowing cold. I took it to the dealership and they "fixed" it cause it was under warranty. Now that my warranty is up I'm having the same problem. I took it to the dealership and its gonna be $600. If they "fixed" it less than 3 years ago how is it breaking again. They say its the actuator in both knobs or something. Does anyone know if that's something you can fix yourself. I found the part for $60. I definitely think there should be a recall if its having to be replaced this often on this many vehicles!!
  • bedfirdbedfird Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Body control module under dash, any electrical mechanic can fix, dealer will be $$$ I've seen resetting modules at salvage yards, don't know if it's legit, but ask around.
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    Need a Tech2 scanner to program it or options may not work...dealer has to program it unfortunately.
  • My 2009 Saturn Vue Hybrid all of a sudden developed a screeching sound upon starting. I took it into my dealer, who said that it was a bearing and a pulley system that needed replacement- for $700. They then called back to say that they misdiagnosed, and that it was actually the bearing and clutch assembly for the A/C compressor, which would require full replacement for $1100- but that this new part carries a lifetime warranty. This is crazy! Why would the OEM part not include a similar warranty, and how could this happen in just 3 years? I wanted to buy a GM car to buy American, but an $1100 repair after just 3.5 years and 50k miles is ludacris. And this is after already having the engine replaced under warranty.
    Does anyone know if the cost to repair sounds legit?
    I guess for our next car we need to look into Hyundai and its 10 year/100k mile warranty bumper to bumper.
  • I don't know about the part and the price, but it seems that every part that has to be replaced, or any work that needs to be done is at least $700 or more these days.
    I purchased my Vue, because my two sisters had Saturn's, and I had a Saturn previously. We all loved them. Before GM got involved with the Saturn, it was a very good vehicle. Very reliable, and owners just loved them. They had a very good reputation. After GM got involved, the quality of the Saturn took a drastic turn in quality for the worse. They destroyed the company and the vehicles reputation completely, and we are experiencing the result of that with all these mechanical problems.
    I will never buy another vehicle from GM again. It's obvious that they are so consumed in greed that they don't care about the consumer at all. Everything is all about the almighty dollar to them.
    Yes, Hyundai does seem to be making a pretty decent car these days, and that warranty is quite appealing isn't it? You'll never get an American Company to give you a warranty like that, ever!
    I wish you good luck with your problem, and hope you get that fixed.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    We're sorry to hear that you've had some troubles with your Vue, auzach11. If you would like for us to check in on this with your dealership further, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Problems with my 2008 Saturn Vue:

-Heat will not turn off (but fan can be changed from low speed to higher speeds)
    -AC will not turn on
    -Defroster will not work (Air won't come on)

I've tried to disconnect the battery overnight, and have also checked the fuse in the passenger compartment but have no way to check the fuse/s in the engine compartment (they are block fuses). Everything worked great until about one week ago, and I have no idea what's wrong. Can anyone help with a solution to this? Going to the dealership will probably be expensive.

Thanks,
    John
  • sybeesybee Posts: 9
    edited February 2013
    This has been an effort in futility. The only suggestion was to take it in to the GM dealership and pay them to diagnose a problem that is a known issue. In 7 years, I've driven less than 25,000 miles. I practice regular and proper maintenance, and the vehicle is always in the garage, not on the street.

I requested that C/S offer some type of discount, at the very least, and was told that they have no control over dealer/service pricing. Seriously?! I bought this car new AND paid cash, yet the best C/S can offer with regard to a KNOWN ISSUE, is to refer me to the service center? Do they really need somebody on staff to tell people to take their car to the mechanic? End result... ABSOLUTELY USELESS!
  • I am very disappointed with the 2008 Saturn VUE. My 72 year old mother bought one with very low miles (19K) on it two years ago and purchased an extended warranty. She now has 34K miles on it and has not been able to get the key out of the ignition. She took it in to the dealer and they told her that it does not recognize that the car is in park. Having worked at a dealer for over 12 years, I was absolutely floored that even with the extended warranty, this was not covered and would cost her $800 to fix. To me, a basic safety issue, SUCH AS A CAR NOT KNOWING WHETHER OR NOT IT WAS IN PARK, would be covered under the powertrain warranty, let alone an extended service contract. Last night I was considering which vehicle I may be buying to replace my older vehicle, but after this experience, I may have to reconsider a couple of my choices. Unreal.
  • :mad:

I just recieved my repair estimate from the GM dealer...$1100.00! There is a little solenoid up under the dash that is bad and needs to be replaced. The SAME thing is wrong with my Monte Carlo, and there are numerous posts around the web on GM having a problem with this switch.

I WILL NOT buy another GM product and am heading to our local BMW dealer after work to replace my Saturn VUE. I'll trade that junk in and get a real car this time. Thanks for NOTHING General Jerks!!!
  • I just recieved my repair estimate from the GM dealer for $1100.00! There is a problem where I can't turn the heat off and can't turn the air conditioning on. There is a little solenoid up under the dash that is bad and needs to be replaced. The SAME thing is wrong with my Monte Carlo, and there are numerous posts around the web on GM having a problem with this switch.

I WILL NOT buy another GM product and am heading to our local BMW dealer after work to replace my Saturn VUE. I'll trade that junk in and get a real car this time. Thanks for NOTHING General Jerks!!! I used to work for General Motors and should have known better than to purchase anything made by them. My fault, but it won't happen again...

:mad:
    nick72310,

We're sorry to hear about the situation with your mother's Vue. Is everything working okay after the repair work? What service contract does she have?

autoguy57,
    We're sorry that your Vue needed these repairs and that you're thinking about trading it in. Is there anything we can look into for you at this time?

• Why doesn't somebody at GM take these complaints and do a simple Pareto Chart on them? It seems like many of the issues on this Board are similar, and with a simple Pareto GM could classify them and find out why so many people are having similar problems. I worked for GM for over 5 years, my Father retired from GM, all I have bought are GM products for over 40 years...

Now it's time to look at another brand, maybe time to take a look at a foreign car maker who cares about the customer? Sad that GM is losing customers because they don't care.

GM= :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • sadvueownersadvueowner Posts: 7
    edited February 2013
    GMC and the rest of domestic car manufacturers as well as other domestic companies are big on lip service and short on actually providing customer service, no need for me to name them, it obvious, companies are run by hypocrites, this would not be if merit was used to measure leadership skills, instead nepotism and crony-ism will ruin this country, enough said about how are country is being ruined from within by incompetence.

The day Saturn folded, GMC should have taken the responsibility and made us Saturn owners satisfied, we were their future customers, they blew it, instead it was lots lip service, spin, and promises promises, here is a $1000 credit buy GMC, get rid of your Saturn vehicle. They lost me as a customer long time ago, when I went to the dealer and all of a sudden I had $1500 worth of work to be done just few days after my warranty expired, not counting air condition issues,, yet I used the dealer for oil change every 3000 miles, every month, they failed to see any of these problems and fail to fix many things that were not working on the car even after I pointed them out, essential I was ignored since Saturn no longer existed...there were always hints to buy new vehicle, my dealer was pushing Nissan, and GMC.

NOTE: How do parts on my Saturn Vue become bad right after the warranty expires and not one part but many parts (front arm bushings, serpentine belt, air condition unit, seat heater passenger side, manual transmission linkage, etc.), all which should have been replaced during the warranty period. Anyways that is my opinion.
  • fd0198fd0198 Posts: 1
    Our 2009 VUE air conditioner would blow warm after driving for an hour or 2. Since the dealership we use (only certified Saturn repair shop since Saturn went under) is always busy, I asked the service writer if he would like us to replicate the problem and bring it in when it started acting up. He agreed and we were able to show up with the problem replicated and they could see what was happening.
    When the air conditioner would blow warm, there would be a connection behind the engine that would ice over (the longer it ran, the bigger the chunk of ice). If you follow the metal lines from the A/C compressor towards the back of the engine, you will see the connection.
    Within an hour, the service writer came back and told us it was the expansion valve. Our air conditioner has been working fine since.
    I suggest, if you can, replicate the problem and drive to the repair shop while the problem is happening. Don't even turn the car off until they can see it.
    I know there are shady mechanics out there, but, from what I've seen, most mechanics want to fix your car and it is frustrating for them when they can't duplicate your problem. I hope this helps.