Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Paint Gold Paint Problems

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Don't rush them, in fact make sure they take their time, let that new paint bake properly.

kan3: may have been me, but who cares, the important thing is SoA stepped up. Glad to hear it.
  • yea lucky they responded
    Ateixeira..was urs repainted??
    No, we have a Forester, it's been fine.

I've had other cars painted (Miata) and the job wasn't very thorough. They damaged some trim and forgot to replace a wheel hub that was scratched.

I calmly spoke to the supervisor, asked for a replacement trim piece (they tried to epoxy it back together), and the wheel hub cover, and told them to take their time.

When body shops rush the results show it.
  • ohh, was there a a bad paint job on your mazda like the Tribeca b/c of the company or just age? Yea gotta be careful with auto shops
    That poor car...

Being so small it was hit 3 or 4 different times. I had so many repainted panels that there were 5 shades of white on her.

The body shops that rushed would break trim pieces and forget things. One forgot a bolt that you could see in the door jamb, obvious stuff.

I just learned never to rush a body shop, in fact tell them to take their time and dot all the i's, cross all the t's.
  • ohh wow. yea oyu gotta pick a good shop and make sure they take their time...hows your car now?
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    The problem with re-painting the body is that when it comes time to sell/trade it, the purchaser will assume there was body work done on the car. The value will degrade with the paint job, IMHO.

Of course if you decide to keep it till the wheels fall off, then it does not matter anyway.
  • yeah true you would have to tell the buyer about it i guess but you can tell them the hole story with all the backup information i got about this whole thing, but i just want it down b/c i cant stand the swirls and white marks.
    That depends on who the buyer is but a body re-painting *will* reduce the value of your vehicle. Even if you show them the backup information, it will still not prove that there was other work done on it and this was used to cover it up.

Bottomline, in the used car market, people are VERY leery and even a hint of a problem will cause them to either low-ball for a significant discount or just walk away to an example which does not have such a history.

Also, a body repainting, however well or expertly done, can be detected by people experienced in such things, in 2 seconds. I personally was amazed when the people at a dealership detected a small re-painting on some body panels on a car I sold over 10 years back, even though the work was professionally done and the car bought back to the pre-accident status (I personally could not detect the re-painting, even though I knew the precise location of where it was done).
  • true, true. I plan on keeping the car long anyway and when i do sell it will prob have other problems then new paint. I cant stand the way it looks now and so it has to be done so if i get Subaru to pay for the damage with little hassle has then that woudld be amazing! By the way, did you have yours done, or?
    Actually I just bought a new 09 SE 7-passenger Tribeca (less than a week old) but comes with the newer "Harvest Gold" than the "Champagne Gold" mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

I have not heard of any "Harvest Gold" paint issues yet.

PS: Yes, if you are keeping it for a while then a re-painting will not have any significant material effect on the car's value, since depreciation will have a much larger effect. I agree.
    I sold it earlier this year. It was a 93 which I had bought used.

Mazda's Crystal White was a color known for peeling paint, so repainting wasn't all that bad, I suppose.

I now have a 2008 Miata in a dark blue and that color scratches too easily. :(
  • yea there are no problems with the harvest which came out in 07, and yeah i mean its better then what it is now and when i sell prob gonna keep it long, they buyer wont even notice. Bright side after i get them to pay..which can be easy or hard, (fun!) the car will look brand new and they will pay for the damage ! BTW hows ur backseat..does it make annoying noises..rattles? Also if you havent heard of Sb9t.com...great Tribeca only site..really helpfull..thats how i found out about the paint defect.

Subaru paint scratches easily too..hate their paint lol
    No backseat rattles or noises - yet. A few rattles over time is par for the course in such vehicles I guess, but if it becomes truly annoying and numerous, then the engineering of the vehicle will be to blame.

I did a quick "drive-by" through sb9t and will be becoming a member shortly. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Posts: 188
    I will drop the car off at the dealers body shop on 10/19. Manager advises it will take 5 to 10 working days. As indicated the Tribeca is over 59 months old with 45k. Subaru is taking care of the situation no questions asked. What a credit to them. This is my forth and the eighth in my family. Needless to say I will be looking for another Tribeca in about 2 years.

Jerry
  • ohh so they are taking yours with no problems? thats great even over the warranty with 45k? thats lucky! Usally they give you problems

npp
    ooops . . . its over 50 months old, delivered July '05
  • whats does it matter how old it is???
  • with months..?
    I feel it is a credit to Subaru to take care of this situation on a four year old car. Don't know how many other companies would ...