Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Paint Gold Paint Problems

Comments

• aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    Actually I just bought a new 09 SE 7-passenger Tribeca (less than a week old) but comes with the newer "Harvest Gold" than the "Champagne Gold" mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

I have not heard of any "Harvest Gold" paint issues yet.

PS: Yes, if you are keeping it for a while then a re-painting will not have any significant material effect on the car's value, since depreciation will have a much larger effect. I agree.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I sold it earlier this year. It was a 93 which I had bought used.

Mazda's Crystal White was a color known for peeling paint, so repainting wasn't all that bad, I suppose.

I now have a 2008 Miata in a dark blue and that color scratches too easily. :(
  • yea there are no problems with the harvest which came out in 07, and yeah i mean its better then what it is now and when i sell prob gonna keep it long, they buyer wont even notice. Bright side after i get them to pay..which can be easy or hard, (fun!) the car will look brand new and they will pay for the damage ! BTW hows ur backseat..does it make annoying noises..rattles? Also if you havent heard of Sb9t.com...great Tribeca only site..really helpfull..thats how i found out about the paint defect.

Subaru paint scratches easily too..hate their paint lol
  • aaykayaaykay Posts: 539
    No backseat rattles or noises - yet. A few rattles over time is par for the course in such vehicles I guess, but if it becomes truly annoying and numerous, then the engineering of the vehicle will be to blame.

I did a quick "drive-by" through sb9t and will be becoming a member shortly. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • jerrys2jerrys2 Posts: 188
    I will drop the car off at the dealers body shop on 10/19. Manager advises it will take 5 to 10 working days. As indicated the Tribeca is over 59 months old with 45k. Subaru is taking care of the situation no questions asked. What a credit to them. This is my forth and the eighth in my family. Needless to say I will be looking for another Tribeca in about 2 years.

Jerry
  • ohh so they are taking yours with no problems? thats great even over the warranty with 45k? thats lucky! Usally they give you problems

npp
    ooops . . . its over 50 months old, delivered July '05
  • whats does it matter how old it is???
  • with months..?
    I feel it is a credit to Subaru to take care of this situation on a four year old car. Don't know how many other companies would ...
  • but then again it was their factory defect and the costumer who spent good money on the car new or even used but the seem to favor people who bought it new and service the car with subaru dealers; and they should pay for the damage and take full responsibility, but your right i bet alot of car companies would be like F off..so i guess gotta give them some credit but I myself i have yet to officailly deal with the problem so i cant really say..
    The reason it's a little unusual is because people normally would complain about it and demand a repaint in the first year. Heck, the first month, even.
  • True, and people did, depending on how the defective paint settled. On the website i joined Sb9t.com, many people noticed it however my car it wasnt noticable until a few months ago and now its really bad and when i started my research on it around August this year i figure out what it was, at first i thouight it was my fault so i was like of just F me..but i was wrong thank god..so thats why me and others are just finally doing something about it
  • kan3kan3 Posts: 3
    My understanding is that average age for the defective paint to show up is around the 3 year mark (this came from SOA themselves). So, that explains why these cars are 3+ years old before owners are acting on it. My car was 3.5 years old when the "ghosting" started. The first time I noticed it, it was the back quarterpanel...within 90 days it was the whole car. The paint looked perfectly fine up to that point. My car was just redone, I'm picking it up today, it was totally repainted...crossing my fingers it looks good. SOA covered it all.
  • yeah, so did you get it repainted??
    Thanks for the update. Please let us know how it looks. Mine goes in Monday AM. They indicated it should take 5 to 10 working days. I plan to stop by during this time to take pictures of the work in progress. I will post if I can figure out how to do it.

Jerry
  • yes! and goood luck! and for the photos you can post theme on this site called Photobucket and save them in a file or your profile..i guess you call it..and post the link. again good luck!
    Dropped Tribecca off yesterday. First class body shop, the dealer has several franchises and it serves them all. They will field strip (military term) exterior, fix any dents and dings (I only had a few), repaint everthing including bumpers. They were working on one and was in it its disasembled state with first coat of primer applied to body.I was impressed! Will take some pictures of work in progress and post .
  • good luck! sounds great, let us know everything about it!
    Went to the body shop today, body has been repainted, external stuff still off. Took pics, have them on my computer but don't know how to post. If someome provides step by step instructions I will give it a shot.
    If you have a CarSpace account you can host it there.
  • or you can use Photobucket.com and post them there and then send then post the website URL here
  • good job! look great and they car will look great..one thing though...if anything is wrong with the interior, i heard some shops damage the interior parts when putting them back together..report it to subaru, but it looks good and good luck! thanks agaiN!
  • Hi, I just got a 06 Tribeca, and just happened to see that others have a problem with their paint job. Could you please give me some details?

We took ours to a body shop and they said the problem was under the clear coat, it was a bad paint job, it looks faded all over the car :confuse: . I emailed Subaru USA and someone actually called us and told us to take it in to the dealer next week to look at. My husband asked if there had been a recall on the paint or anything else, we did NOT know that others also have had this problem.

We have 46k miles, but also have the extended warranty, just wondered what to expect to hear next week.

Thanks
    Shirley
    Welcome to the Board ! Subaru owners are a helpful bunch. Just go back to the first post on this thread, you should find most of the information you need. Also check Sb9t.com. Assuming you have the same gold paint problem I would be surprised if Subaru doesn't take care of the whole thing...

Good luck with your Tribeca, I love mine and will buy another in a year or two.

Let us know how you make out ...

Jerry
  • Scurt, your car needs to be repainted, there is problem with the clearcoat and is a factory defect, conact the dealer you got it from if you did, also contact SOA, and they are going to most likley rattle you around b.c you didnt buy it knew, but you do have the extended warranty which is a major plus, and also if you got it from a dealer and serivice or plan to service with them then your fine, but they may rattle you around alittle bit.Let us know how it works out, many have this problemm..i recommend the site SB9t.com for your Tribeca needs..my user name is Tribeca06..and many have reported and have went through with this problem as you will see on the sites posts, good luck let us know how you are doing, i myself i have the defect on my 06 and have to go throigh with this problem too.

jerry- hows your car?
    Should be ready by Tuesday . . . I will post the results
  • hope everything works out well
  • Do you know how much SOA is paying for your paint job to the 06 Tribeca?
    We took ours in today so the dealer could look it over, he admitted it was a bad job, he wanted it to go to a paint garage that they use, my husband wanted it done by another company that does excellent work. At first they said they were too expensive, but they called to get an estimate, it was $5,400, dealer told them that Subaru would only pay $3,900. Does anyone have any idea what cost SOA is paying?

Oh, yes the dealer also called to ask how many miles were on the car when we bought it, I told them that shouldn't matter. Miles has nothing to do with bad paint jobs.
    Thanks.
    Shirley