Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Focus ZX3

Comments

• mznmzn Posts: 727
    Friends, I don't expect the Focus Club to begin before we migrate to the new platform. Zgrrrl, I'm sorry one of your posts got lost in translation. When we made our move over and back again, some posts between October 23 & 31 were lost. As for the politics, we're deleting as fast as we can!

carlady/host
  • but weee like the ooolddd platfooormmmm! We hate change at Edmunds!
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Weeeeeee like it toooooo but weeeeeeee've got to let it gooooooooooo because the software is noooooooo looooooooonger suppoooooooooorted. :-(

carlady/host
  • zx3beastzx3beast Posts: 661
    my vote goes for carlady for president. no finer
    diplomat anywhere.
  • fgaydosfgaydos Posts: 319
    I second zee motion.
    A Focus in every pot.
    I mean, browser.
    Seeing more Foci around Philly lately.
    Blinking and waving.
  • I have been reading and enjoying these posts for months. This is my first post and although I have a 2000 Focus Sedan (in Rainforest Green) I like the hatchback posts. Thanks to Silver Bullet I can now change my clock as well. Have been trying for months to get that thing to work. Am very concerned about the rear wheel recall though. Taking it in on Nov. 10th. I can't help feeling a little insecure in the car now.
  • I can change my clock too! :)

I had my recall done on Oct 30th. They added the part but nothing else needed fixing. They pulled both rear wheels and did a complete inspection.

Until it was done, I guess I was a little insecure too. But I'm glad they are doing the recalls and getting these things done.

cg
  • When I first got my car in May, my dad and his friend tried to set the clock but could not figure it out. I figured it out by fooling around with everything. I think the directions were actually wrong :0
    When I took my 3 in for the recall I asked the service rep how many wheels actually came off. None! He was very skeptical about the whole thing but better to be safe than sorry.
    I also felt insecure so hang in there, based on history you should be OK.
    although it is highly improbable that the rear wheel will come off, the possibility still exists.
    i recently had this recall performed,only after i
    was given a free loaner for 6 days,till part arrived at the dealer.my new concern is the front clicking sound when turning.i suspect it may be the cv joints.this will be my next visit,along with the
    tractor-sound complaint.despite these concerns
    however,i still enjoy the ride.after considering
    a trade,ive decided to stick it out,warts and all.
    i just like too much about the car overall.
    ive been looking to spot a silver z in ivyland.i
    also have noticed more z sightings in bucks area.
    recently, 3 black,1 midnight blue, i maliblu blue,
    2 rainforest green, 3 sangria red, 2 silver, 2 zinc
    yellow, 2 white and an autumn orange.seen all these
    in the past 2 weeks.
  • rlr207rlr207 Posts: 11
    Ok...I need some advice. My beloved ZX3's suspension creaks like an old pick-up. Just yesterday a cold snap brought on an embarrassing squeak from the left back wheel. I had the ford guys look at it and they lubricated everything to no avail. I then had the bearings replaced to no avail. I can't take it anymore. I feel like the wheels are going to come off. When I am going slow (5-10mph) and go over a bump, the suspension thumps and squeaks like it is made with tinker toys. Anyone have any suggestions or maybe just a little sympathy?
  • I had a slight problem with the hatch not closing properly, and called the dealer. He told me I could bring it in right away. They fixed it on the spot. Just thought I would share a good dealer story.
  • I just bought my 2001 ZX3 this past Saturday and I love it! My research and this forum's attitude & information helped immensely in my decision. It has the Premium and Power groups -- I went with Rainforest green to get the Power group -- but it still looks sharp. I now look forward to driving to and from work everyday.
    Thanks for all the great postings that kept me informed.
  • Hello Fellow Focus owners.

How do you people save this site? I get a screen that says my post was not complete. I posted about two weeks ago and i come up annonomis>>>>>>> what makes you think you have the wrong colour?

I responded that the slip (larger than the mini bottle) had the make/year and code on it...and also had someones name that sure wasn't me.

Ohhhhh he said, i guess you would have noticed it when you touched up your scratchs.

Duh?

Nice fellow and got me my correct colour.

BUT why should i click click click on my rear hatch remote with a pile of boxes standing 12" that's 12 inches from the keyhole. Kinda makes the REMOTE option redundent?

This is not a great car it is a good car with serious flaws.

Ford failed again and i just found out about WHY they had no Mustangs.

Not blowing off steam just calling the shots as i see them at this time.

With respect,

Whyford (and i thought the name sounded cute!)
    I only go to ivyland on Sundays after the eagles games.:>)

Whyford--- I can click my hatch open from 15 feet away. Maybe check your batteries?
  • cobiecobie Posts: 108
    Someone asked about installing mud flaps for the focus. Ford's short-sightedness doesn't allow for the factory "moulded" flaps for the front of the X3 -- only the sedans and provides only rear moulded flaps for the X3. Regular after marked flat mud flaps will fit on the front but due to the very small fender "turn in", you'll have to affix the mud flap to the front fender well liner.
  • I have a late response to the post from a few days back. In regards to over revving, i dont see what kind of problem s you would have since I drive a manual ZTS (Sedan with Zetec engine) and I frequently rev beyond 5000 for acceleration purposes. Also it seems that when you rev DOHC engines freely it "loosens them up" and they are more responsive later on down the road. I personally have gone to about 6900 rpm with no probs, and once (on purpose) I hit the rev limiter which is not easy to do because the Zetec does not have much thrust above 5500 rpm so its just extra noise above that point really. I sometimes when merging on my southern california freeways have to downshift from 5th gear to 3rd and it never causes any unwanted behaviour, just thrust and the Rpms usully jump from 2500 to 5000 when i do this. So In the end You can almost certainly be sure that those engine computers are going to keep you from doing any harm to the engine, which is good since Ford did not put a redline on the Tach!
    Peace....
  • cnollkamper,
    The rev limiter is at 6850/6900 rpm. You can't go over it unless you get a aftermarket chip. But why rev that high. You have gone past your torque and horsepower peak and are losing power. The peak is around 6000/6200 rpm. Shift then and you are staying in the power range. Going past 6200 rpm is why a lot of guys are not doing well 0-60 and in the quarter!

In other words, I agree with your post.
    Pat
  • You can overrev an engine equipped with an electronic rev limiter - by missing a downshift! Go from 4th to 1st at high speed, release the clutch, and bingo! When this happens, the car is "driving" the engine - the crank and pistons are spooled up to extremely high speeds by the wheels, and the valvetrain often can't keep up. It can make quite an $$ mess, as a friend of mine discovered when he missed a downshift in his '96 M3. Going UP the rev range is another matter - the rev limiter usually steps in to prevent damage.
    The latest Consumers Reports Buying Guide for 2001, not the monthly magazine, pans the Focus.
    Even though it is their top rated small sedan, they state," Our top rated small Sedan, if not for it's reliability"
    Adding insult to injury, they do recommend the Echo.
    I find this disturbing as I always base my buying decisions on the CR. Thinking about getting rid of it while the getting is good. Any thoughts?
  • Thanks Pat, it is nice to get support rather than bashing in these forums!
  • You are correct also, some engine computers don't understand the scenario you describe. Although some do like Saabs trionic system, it can cut the engine completely in the event that it senses danger, and then restart when safe...Im sure thier are others as well...
  • razor5razor5 Posts: 27
    While waiting for my recall to be fixed on my ZX3, I strolled by the parts department to see if they by chance had Kona replacement parts. In particular, I want the kewl seatcovers. Yes, they are available at $179.00 a pair (two front seats only). While they did not have information on colors, they promised to call me tomorrow after investigating. For you biker dudes, they also have the Mont Blanc bike rack that comes on the Kona version and it's total cost is about $300.
    But lordy would it be kewl on top my black ZX3 with my Trek mounted atop it. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
    Anyone bought the seat covers and know the color options (duh, in case the dealer doesn't)?
  • Does anyone know if the Euro Interactive Vehicle Dynamics system is the same as our Advance Trac?

Trek's are ok, but not as slick, even though LANCE rides one.... Maybe he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Anyone read AUTOMOBILE magazine?

About the new Jetta Wagon after saying it wasn't as big as the Focus wagaon....
    "..... IT will cost about $800.00 more than the regular Jetta GLS 1.8T sedan, putting it at right around $20,000 -- which is considerably more than a Focus wagon, in keeping with VW's opinion of itself in the automotive world."
  • The new Audi A2
    http://www.audi.co.uk/newcars/a2/

(not exactly in the Zx3 price range though:))but I think we can appreciate it
  • The A2 is a very interesting engineering and packaging exercise, but to say that most Americans wouldn't "get it" would be a gross understatement. As we all know too well, this is the land of wretched excess, and it seems most people can't spend their money fast enough on the roadgoing equivalent of a hippo wearing a tutu - a chrome and gadget-laden SUV. Audi is smart to not bring the A2 here - they'd wind up using them as service loaners, the way many Ford dealers use Foci.

If you read only English, and want to keep up on things automotive, I'd recommend subscribing to AutoWeek, Car & Driver, and Automobile. Add Britain's CAR magazine and you'll keep up with the rest of the world, but try to overlook their anti-American (read: envy) bias.
  • The overrev scenario that killed my friend's M3 was a purely mechanical phenomenon - the electronic engine management system played no part whatsoever. Instead of the engine driving the car, the speeding car drove the engine - way faster than it was designed to go. I don't speak Saab Trionic, but unless it has enough smarts to instantaneously disengage the clutch, you're going to blow up the Saab's engine just as easily.
  • Well, I guess we have more of an idea of the total picture regarding problems with the zx3 over the past year. It's too bad that Ford fell short relative to the Japanese competition in the reliability category. Hopefully, this won't translate into significantly more time dealing with repairs over the life of the car. But I fear that it looks sorta grim.
  • Overall, how would all you ZX3 owners rate your experience w/ your focus? Good, bad or otherwise?