Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Have a look at Extended Warranty - Toyota Extra Care.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • wbmdwbmd Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Sienna, in which the transmission went out. The dealer pointed out to me that I had purchased an extended warranty at the time of purchase. I had completely forgotten about it. (And was surprised to find that I had done that). Toyota put in a new transmission for no charge (for only the $100 dollar deductible), and gave us a rental van free of charge for a week.

I looked up my paperwork and found that I had paid $1100 dollars for the warranty. But it saved me $5000 for a new transmission. Well worth it, in my case.
  • I know. What's your point? Mt reasons have more validity. Not open to other alternatives? :confuse:
  • I checked the metal tag Friday while I was showing my father the vehicle => "Made in Japan".

I got 22.8 mpg on my first tank; the sales guy said he filled it up, but maybe it was a little short. The first 60 miles were inner city and a little suburban and in-town highway. Friday was my first extended period on the Interstate and I was very impressed with the ride, handling and gas mileage. Richmond to Charlottesville is rolling country and then across the mountain at the southern end of Shenandoah National Park and into the Valley. The last 25 miles of the trip is north on I-81. Nothing like rolling hills and heavy semi traffic to make you punch the gas and go around them in a hurry.

To give you an idea of my driving style, I've been driving an '06 Avalon XLS for almost 3 years and making this 260-mi. round-trip drive every Friday to have lunch with my father. I consistently got 27.5 mpg with the Avalon by setting the cruise on 72 and trying to keep it under 80 when passing.

I really tried to baby the HL on Friday and didn't use the cruise and didn't do much hard accelerating at all. OTOH, it won't break in properly if all it ever does is idle either. Anybody know what the top speed on an awd Limited is? The '06 Avalon was listed at 138 mph.

I know I've had it a week, but I just got it back Thursday night with the XM receiver installed and now I'm enthused.

John
  • Yes, choose the pilot if you want a rough, noisy ride and worse fuel economy than the Highlander. Check out Consumer Reports
  • Can anyone tell me how to sync my Iphone contacts with the 2010 highlander? I can get the phone to work with the car's hands-free system but have not been able to transfer my contacts. Thanks.
  • I don't have an answer to your question, but it brings up a quesiton I have that you may be able to answer since your phone already is set up with the 2010 Highlander Bluetooth Hands Free System.

My Question is simply: What is the clarity of calls using your cell phone through the 2010 Highlander Hands Free System?

I have not yet set my cell phone up on the 2010 Highlander Limited I purchased just before Xmas.
  • Just got the car last week. So have not yet had a chance to use it much or the phone. So cannot comment on the call quality as yet.
  • Thinking of purchasing body side moldings for my 2010 HL. Anybody done this and was installation easy? Where besids dealer is best price? Thanks
  • My advice is to go to a Toyota dealer with a good body shop and have them install it. You get the Toyota color-keyed strips and I doubt whether the savings would be worth the hassle. I purchased mine as part of my order for the car and have been very pleased. If they need replacing, the dealer can do it and keep the color as close as possible to the original. Definitely worth the cost for the protection against nicks from doors and objects from other cars. It won't stop everything but it's better than a bare side.
  • I would definitely have it done by the Dealer. And make sure the person they get to do it has done it numerous times before. They are not easy to install.

I purchased mine with my 2010 Highlander Limited and it took the dealer 3 times before they got it right. And each time they removed them, they have to throw those away & order a new set at their cost. They can not be removed & re-installed.

I found out after the fact that the 1st 2 installations were both done by 2 different people who did not regularly install moldings - because they "were trying to get it done faster for me". The 2nd installation was done by their Body Shop. That was the worst installation of them all.

I am assuming you did not purchase the Moldings with the 2010 HL. If you did not, I would guess that you will pay more than if you had. I paid the dealer's actual "cost" for the moldings & they installed them for no additional cost. You will probably have to pay the retail price plus something additional for installation.

I bought them not only for the protection, but also because I think they dress up the HL some.

My HL has the Blizzard Pearl exterior, so those moldings are not an "exact" match even though they are "color-keyed". However, the color-keyed moldings in all of the other colors I have seen are much much more an exact match. Make sure you specify that you want the "Color-Keyed" Moldings.
  • Update to my last reply:

I paired my Nokia 6555b Cell Phone to the Hands Free System on my 2010 Highlander Limited. But, like you, I can't seem to get it to accept the transfer of my phonebook from my Nokia Cell Phone.

Since you have tried this before, you will probably know what I am talking about.
    When I say or choose "Confirm" (I did it both ways), my cell phone immediately says that the Bluetooth connection has been disconnected. And then of course, the Hands Free says to transfer my phonebook, which I do, but since the connection has been lost, nothing gets transferred.

It is my hope that someone who has been successful in transferring the phonebook will reply here.
  • Go to sportwing. com they have them in your color also with a chrome strip in them I have them they look great Easy to install. Also I used AVS Bug 2 for Bug shield & Wesin for running boards Waiting to install side vents. Weather Tech
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,250
    If you are a Toyota owner and interested in sharing your reaction to the recall with reporters, send an email stating the vehicle you own, your telephone number, and the best time you can be reached.

Send to: karen@edmunds.com

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Posts: 350
    edited March 2010
    When?

Toyota supposedly was to unveil a refreshed Highlander for 2011 at the Chicago Auto Show, but that didn't happen obviously.
  • nacenace Posts: 45
    highlander comes with a snow mode. can someone with experience in using snow mode advise as to how it works vs AWD ? i live in the snow belt and am not sure if the additional cost of AWD merits the highlander snow mode? thank you
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    Snow mode simply tells the transmission to start in second gear instead of first gear. Less chance of spinning. Not too effective. AWD is what you want in a snow belt. AWD comes with snow mode as well.
  • knwpskknwpsk Posts: 8
    Whoa, I disagree! Snow mode clearly does more than just switch gears. I have a 2008 HL, limited edition. Have driven it in lots of snow in Chicago winters. Snow mode puts it into 4WD, and gives you much more control, and I've found it to be very effective. You can absolutely feel the difference immediately (if you've driven a 4WD vehicle before, you know what it feels like when all four wheels lock into gear).

I'm not a fan of AWD because it's on "all the time" -- even when you don't need it -- and then you're going to sacrifice gas mileage and extra wear on the car.
    Well, they sure must have changed the operation of snow mode. I had a Highlander Limited 4 wheel drive, 2004 model. All it did was start off in second gear. I think the question was how does snow mode in a front wheel drive Highlander compare to the AWD version. Is AWD worth the extra money in the snow belt compared to front wheel drive with snow mode. I say go for the AWD version in the snow.
  • nacenace Posts: 45
    knwpsk, i need to be clear on this issue. in snow conditions and using the snow mode in a front wheel drive highlander, would be close or the same as having four wheel drive. am i correct? i appreciate your candid opinion, thank you
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    What,....WHAT...??!!

Snow mode might modify the DBW throttle response mapping/curve, or it might modify the transaxle shift pattern, or even both. But it does NOT put the system in F/awd mode, and most certainly not anything close to the functionality of a 4WD system..

In reality the HL HAS NO "AWD" mode, it is basically a ONE-WHEEL drive vehicle that uses TC, Traction Control, braking to RADICALLY apportion engine torque once a wheel or wheels, most often at the front, slips. REACTIVE. Only once a wheel actually begins slipping does your HL become a F/awd vehicle.

And at that point the system will not only begin braking a slipping wheel or wheels, but will also INSTANTANEOUS dethrottle the engine. With a base FWD it is extremely important to QUICKLY correct for any level, however minor level, of loss of traction at the front.
    It would not be close to four wheel drive. Get the four wheel drive and don't worry about snow mode one way or the other.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    These vehicles are not sold or advertised as AWD, but rather 4WD, which is exactly what they are when snow mode is activated for model years '08 and later. I too own an '08 HL LTD 4x4 and "knwpsk" is correct in his explanation of its functionality.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Highlander with FWD only is just that, with extra ground clearance than regular car. Snow mode reduces wheelspin as others have stated by starting off in 2nd gear, but is not as good as an AWD.
  • if your car is front wheel drive, snow mode cannot put it in all wheel drive since theres nothen connecting to the rear wheels to make them drive wheels, unless toyota has changed this. i have a 2004 fwd and what the manual says it keeps the transmission in lower gears longer before shifting to higher gears (traction and less wheel spin) which makes since you want lower gears instead of a higher gear for better traction..
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Yes, you can buy an HL that is labelled "4WD". But the ONLY time the 4WD mode is functional is when all four wheels have equal, or roughly equal surface traction. Have even just one wheel lose surface traction and now suddenly you have "reverted" to a one wheel drive vehicle.

The basic "4WD" (F/awd in reality) mechanical aspects, front, center, and rear simple open type differentials, are always "engaged".

The only additional thing of importance is something you also get, in SPADES, with the FWD version, TC, Traction Control. With TC any time a wheel or wheels lose surface traction then moderate braking, PWM braking, will be activated on the wheel(s) have lost traction in order to "sustain" a high level of engine drive torque of any "driven" wheels remaining with surface traction.

The bad news is that at the very same time that TC braking is applied the engine will also be HEAVILY dethrottled, not quite to idle but low enough that the braking will not result in brake component overheating.

That's why the newer HL models have a TC disable PB function, too many cases wherein the TC "backup" engione torque re-apportionment system simply was not adequate to the task of the moment.

But good news is on the way.

The new Venza, 2010 Sienna, and the 2010 RX350 have now adopted the Ford Escape type of F/awd system. So the HL version should not be far behind. While not nearly as good as the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system this is a very definite improvement over the current HL F/awd system.

The snow mode capability has NOTHING to do with the HL's 4WD/AWD/F/awd system.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    Then the lead mechanic at my Toyota dealership is wrong. Me thinks not.
    I am afraid your lead mechanic is wrong or you are misinterpreting his explanation. Wwest is correct in his explanation.
  • I went looking for a description of the 4WD on the Escape, and came across this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive. It claims that the Highlander has a center differential with "50/50 viscous-type center differential." I assume it means the regular, not the Hybrid. That would imply something a step up from "one wheel drive". Interesting article to me, it does point out that with three differentials, traction can actually get worse then over 2WD, because more places to slip.

Anyone care to comment on the 50/50 statement? Bull hockey?
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Posts: 177
    http://toy4u.com/content/new_vehicles/specs2010_Highlander_SE.pdf

This info is available on the Toyota site, too. The specs show a V6 with Snow Mode available in 2wd and 4wd models. So how can snow mode do anything but start you off in 2nd gear and maybe adjust the throttle response. Snow mode is listed in engine description.

I have a 2010 Limited I've driven in snow, ice and bad winter weather and never pushed the Snow Mode button. I did have to turn the Traction Control off to get away from the curb after the city plows pushed the 12" of snow into piles against the cars. I didn't feel like shoveling the street... :)

The HL drove about as well, except for effect of the extra weight and height in turns, as an '02 Subaru Forester S Premium I drove for 5 years. It was an automatic with normal 90-10 front bias that shifted to 50-50 at times iirc and an limited slip differential on the rear axle.

Neither one is as good as my '86 Subaru GL wagon with part-time 4wd, hi-lo range trans, factory skid plates and armored exhaust and 3-position manually adjustable rear shocks. Not nearly as good, but that's the tradeoff of full-time vs. part-time. The front end finally rusted out after 14 years of driving on the Outer Banks' beaches surf finshing. I've had some experience with 4wd/awd.

Maybe next winter I will try the Snow Mode, but even on ice with the so-so factory tires it wasn't needed this winter.

John