Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heated Seats Not Working On 2009 Mazda 5

QuickbeamQuickbeam Posts: 23
Hello,

Just recently bought a new Mazda 5. Took it in to the dealers today because our heated seats are not working. Dealer said Mazda has confirmed to them they are aware there is a problem and are working on solving it. Mazda apparently told dealer that even if they replaced every part to do with the heated seats it would not fix the problem.

Was wondering if anyone else had run into this, and if so if you have found any solutions?

Thanks for your help.

P.S. - Don't know if it matters, but we live in Vancouver, Canada.

Comments

• cyclone83cyclone83 Posts: 60
    How hot are the seats supposed to get? We test drove a 2009 GT the other day, and we could barely even feel the heated seats when they were on. Maybe this car had the same problem...??
  • QuickbeamQuickbeam Posts: 23
    I would think it probably does have the same problem. When we first tried our heated seats, one got very hot, the other not so hot. They also heated unevenly in that the passenger seat seemed to get hot around the shoulder area only and the drivers seat got warm in places in the back. Neither seat ever seemed to heat up in the seat (bum) portion. Now they don't do anything.
    That makes sense, I was wondering why the heck the heated seats were so weak! We're debating the Touring vs. Grand Touring. One of the big pulls for the GT is heated seats, but if they are going to break down and cause a headache, maybe we will save some money and go with the Touring
    I've never had a car with heated seats, but have ridden in cars with them. Sure is a nice option to have, if they can get them working. I did ask the dealer if this was a problem on all 2009 Mazda 5's with heated seats, and he said apparently not. I'll let you know if and when they get it fixed.

Anyone else have any experience with this?
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    Whew! Makes me glad we didn't splurge for the GT. I was interested in the GT mainly for the heated seats.

We got the touring instead.
    Did you get this figured out? We just put some money down on a Grand Touring, hopefully this problem is not too common!
    Nothing figured out yet. Was in at the dealer the other day and they assured me the problem is being worked on.
  • irma2irma2 Posts: 13
    Any update? I am having same problem.
  • Sorry, nothing to report yet. I was at the dealer yet again at the start of this week. They assured me that Mazda knows there is a problem and are working on some kind of softwear fix. They assured me it would be fixed before the winter. They said they have 8 or 9 other customers with the same problem.
    Mine are still not working, how about you?
  • No, nothing yet. Truth be told, I'm starting to get pissed off. The dealer has told me a few times that Mazda Canada is working on it, and that it won't take much longer. I have not been constantly calling the dealer, as I want to be reasonable and give them a chance to fix this, but the last time I e-mailed the dealer they said they would get in touch with Mazda Canada and get back to me. That was on September 22nd and I still have not heard back from them. I think my next step is to start dealing directly with Mazda Canada. Love the car, but I really wanted the heated seats. I didn't care when it was summer time, but with winter coming on I wanted those seats to work!
  • Hi - Have you heard anything back about this? I am considering the Grand Touring solely for the heated seats - this is a bit disappoiting coming from mazda... thanks.
  • vicenacvicenac Posts: 229
    The 2010 are here, but no Grand Touring...
    Coincidence? I think NOT!
    ... and I want one for the leather.
  • I still have not heard anything back on my heated seats. I also really wanted the heated seats and it is one of the reasons we went for the Grand Touring. If I were buying one today I would ask the dealer directly about the problem with the heated seats and see what they say. From what I understand, it is a sporadic problem, in that not all the vehicles have this problem. Maybe you could get it written into a contract that you will only accept the vehicle if the heated seats work. I will be going back to the dealer in early November to get some winter tires installed and if they have no further information for me at that time on the heated seats I think I will try contacting Mazda Canada directly.

As for no Grand Touring being available in 2010, I am not sure about this. All the websites I've looked at say a Grand Touring is offered. Not sure where you are getting it from that there is no Grand Touring in 2010?
  • vicenacvicenac Posts: 229
    OK, maybe I miss-spoke.
    I looked at the dealerships around me, Southern California and they all have a few 2010's, but all none of them Grand Touring. At least none yet.
    I am sure at some point in time GT will show up.
    I suggested that the GT may have the heated seats problem and their production is delayed, because of that.
    It may simply be that Mazda decided to fill the first boat with cheaper models that will sell faster.
  • The 2010 are here, but no Grand Touring...
    Coincidence? I think NOT!

You have funny conspiracy theories ;)

Mazda is small so it takes time to get all Mazda5 trims off the line, that has been usually the case for the last few years.
    Took mine back to dealer and got a loaner car until the seats are fixed. Dealer called today and said Mazda tech says seats will not come on unless 20 degrees and shuts off at 29. He will put a bag of ice on the thermo and see if it will come on. I will let you know.
  • Yes, please do let me know. I would be very interested in the outcome. I also give your dealership credit for wanting to get to the bottom of this. My dealer just keeps saying it is an issue that Mazda Canada is working on.

Funny thing is, I was out yesterday and decided to try the heated seat (driver side). I believe it came on. Not sure what is going on, but at least for a while it seemed to be working.

Again, please let me know what you find out.

I would also be curious to know where you live. Are you in Canada or the U.S., and if in Canada what province?
    Florida, so I have to wait awhile for cool temp, 90 today
    talked to dealer, he left car in shop overnight with air on and ran my car a/c to cool the inside and outside, applied ice did not work. He already replaced bottoms and is having backs overnighted and will try again.. He says Mazda rep said nothing about a systemic problem.