Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Integra - (All years/styles)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    these cars are very different in their performance. The VP is the 117 hp base engine, with the high profile tires on 14s (or are they all 15s now, I forget?).

The Acura is on wider, lower-profile tires (rims are 15s) with much more anti-sway control and better suspension, significantly more power, 4-wheel discs for braking, a moonroof, the list goes on and on. For me, no way is the new car smell going to compensate for losing all that. Buy a can of it at the auto parts store and spray it in that Integra, would be my advice.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• hello acura owners,

I have a 96 LS Integra w/1500,000. I was just told that I have a faulty 4th valve. The other 3 work fine. One shop says I should have the entire top half of the engine replaced for $2100. Problem is I just had that done about a year ago. Another shop says that i can just have the one valve and gasket replaced for about $1000. My question is is this even worth the money? I like my car and not having a note but I want to know can 1 valve be fixed or is that a entire valve job issue? Thanks for all your help and advice
    if you really have 1.5 million miles, then I would call it money well spent and move on to a new car! :-)

If OTOH it has 150K miles, which I suspect is the case, I would spend the money to fix it if everything else is in good order and well-maintained.

Having said that, the major expense of replacing a valve is taking the head off, machining the head, and putting it back on. NO WAY do you pay to have all that done and then only replace the one valve. You replace all the valves - the individual parts are not a huge part of this cost. The labor is. I would think you could go halfway between those two estimates for a good and comprehensive valve job - have them put on a new timing belt and water pump at the same time as the extra cost is only for the parts. It is not necessarily a good idea to replace the whole head, which is what the $2100 estimate is, I suspect. The head is likely still good.

One other reason to replace all the exhaust valves (it is most likely an exhaust valve that has burnt out - have you asked them which valve it is?) is that they are all the same - if this one has failed now, it is likely that more of them are near the point of failing.

If it is in decent shape, go for the repair. Especially if it is a manual transmission. These cars go a long way, my old '88 was at 250K+ when I sold it, and I would rather have a paid-for Integra than my $15,000-owing RSX!

• fedfed Posts: 2
    have a 2001 type r to sell soon, but can't get any idea of a decent asking price -- any help will be greatly appreciated
  • I guess it kind of depends if its still stock? Is it souped up or been raced? From what I've heard from my boyfriend who also has a Type R, I think a decent price for a stock type R would be around $16,000 to $17,500. (Private party) I know most people prefer it being stock though. What area are you in? I know a friend of mine is looking to buy a Type R right now.
  • being an Intgra owner and Civic owner, I would prefer the Integra. The vehicle overall is stronger...feels better when driving...and depreciate slower. I chose a used 99 Integra GSR two years ago for $15,000 over a 2000 Civic Si...and its soo worth it. No regrets at all. Never had a problem with my car.
  • adamssjadamssj Posts: 11
    Im looking to buy my first car and ive wanted an integra for awhile and I finally have 4k saved and found this deal.

94 Integra GSR two door hatch

91,000 miles SAYS in excellent condition, but it has shortshifter and racing cluth all going for $$$4,000 bucks, is that worth it???? Or is there most likely something wrong with it?

Last question being, is there a certain year/model integra that comes with a regular VTECH engine If I cant afford a decent GSR?
    are the VTECs in the Integra line. When you say racing clutch, do you actually mean a RACING clutch? If so, I would avoid it - that is no casual mod, and there are going to be GSRs out there that haven't been raced. And in my area, $4000 would be a downright steal for an eleven year old GSR with 91K. Would make me suspicious.

If you can't get into an Integra in your price range, you could always get a Civic EX - also has VTEC (albeit lower powered) and lots of options for increasing power aftermarket.

Hmmm, yeah thats what I figured. No in the descrip it says it has a "racing clutch" which means the guy has probably raced the hell out of it. Look suspicious to me.

But with between 4 and 5,000 bucks I can still find a decent 2 door LS 94 or above right? Ive heard its okay if the car has up to 150,000 miles on it because they last forever if driven decently, dunno how true that is. But yeahhh I was hoping to find a GSR out there if possible but I guess you havta spend a little bit more than 5k :(
    my '88 LS went 250K before I sold it - that guy is still driving it. They are fantastic in terms of lasting power - I wouldn't be worried about miles provided the seller can prove it has been decently maintained. I would expect you to be able to get into an LS from '94/95 for $4000, provided it has the usual kind of miles for that age - say 120K-150K. That is in my area - you may be able to do better in other parts of the country.

Right on, so as long as the owner seems to have driven the car pretty decently, the miles shouldnt matter too much..right on. I guess my last questions would be..

When I go to buy or look at a private partys car, there anything I should look for in particular, or anything I should watch out for? I dont wunna buy a car and then havta turn around and spend money on fixing it right away. Ive heard you should make sure the water pumps and timing belts are working good and not too old. But thats all ive heard.

Ohhhh and, which car is faster STOCK, A civic EX (because of the VTECH engine) or a STOCK integra LS? And thanx for you replys man, yur helpin me alot, I dont want my first car to be a melon :(
    the LS would have the edge, just barely. The EX is fun to push hard when the VTEC kicks in, though. And I was just thinking that you will be able to get more car at the money going with the Civic - it will be newer with less miles.

Beginning in '94, the Integra LS got 140 hp out of a 1.8, but weighed about 300 pounds more than the Civic, which made about 125 hp (IIRC) out of a 1.6. Of course, in the Civic, the last 15 of those horsepower were only available once the VTEC kicked in, which happened at some very high rpm like 5000+.

On Integras and Civics, you have to make sure the timing belt was done, and the water pump with it. That should be within the last 60K miles - the belt is due every 60. Next, look in the trunk/under the hatch. Pull up the cover where the spare sits - is there any water in there? Is there staining indicating there has been water leaking in there in the past? Those are common problems - also check the taillights for proper operation and make sure they don't have sitting water in them. NEXT, check out those CV joints - get in a parking lot, crank the wheel all the way over and drive slowly in a circle, listen for any sounds (no sound is a good sound). Then crank the wheel the other way and do it again. Get under there and eyeball the CV boots - are they cracked or broken? CVs and boots are common problem areas too. NEXT, on the Integra, punch the button for each and every airflow direction on the dash HVAC - do they all work? Does the fan work at all speeds? You need to check the electronics carefully on old Hondas to make sure eveything is still working - wipers, lights, stuff like that. Finally, if it were me, I would avoid an Integra this old in any dark color - the black ones and to a lesser extent the dark green ones have had early problems with paint fade or wear. Does the clearcoat look intact on all the horizontal surfaces?

Hondas are fantastic, fun cars that can go a really long way, but they are also high maintenance as they get beyond the 10 year/150K point.

Nice, Ill definitely take note of all that. Thanx a lot for the info. So it looks like im either going after an integra LS or GS or possibly a GSR if I can get some extra money.

Now say I buy an integra LS, since it doesnt have a VTECH engine in it ; If I go ahead and slap on a decent exhaust system and an AEM cold air intake, that would definitely put it up over a stock civic EX right? I like both cars, but I want an integra a lot more so im trying to make the best out of whatever one I get since I found out none of them come with regular vtech engines.

And for future mods, do you have any suggestions as far as exhaust intake (headers if needed?)or anything else?
    who mod their cars and tell me their stories, but I personally keep my cars stock, so I can't give you a lot of specifics. But I would say generally speaking, just the exhaust and the CAI should net you 5-10 hp at the wheels, depending on what you choose to install, and yes, that would give you the edge over the Civic, definitely. And the Integra is much more of a driver's car than the Civic all the time.

BTW, at that vintage, the GS was really just an LS with leather and alloys, and some of the LS's even had alloys. I would go with the LS unless you really love leather, because I have found that the leather in these cars doesn't age all that well unless it is well taken care of. And who takes the time to properly condition and maintain leather seats? Not most folks.

Right on, well I guess all I have to do now is wait another month or 2 to save some more money and then go car shopping! Thanx for all yur help man I appreciate it. I'm definitely gonna be prepared when I go to inspect the car im gonna buy lol. Oh and about what you said earlier about the intagras not having the VTECH engines. You said none of the integras come with VTECH engines but that they also are stock 140 hp? Thats pretty sweet, thats alot more HP than a civic EX before their VTECH kicks in high RPMS. Even tho it does way more thats still more power. Good stuff. So its basically safe to say that an integra is just a higher class civic with a little more power? Ohhhh and if ever in the future I were to look into purchasing a GSR engine for the car, you know how much the engine itself would cost or a place I could find out? And if that ever did happen, should a new tranny be purchased as well? Or do the trannys usually last a long time? God I love how much I dont know..lol sorry for the million questions.
    "So its basically safe to say that an integra is just a higher class civic with a little more power?"

That's a pretty good characterization, except for the specialty models like the type-R. Not a whole lot of Civic in that one! :-P

The suspension in most of the years has been noticeably better than the Civic's. But the interiors were nothing that great most of the time - just Civic class with better seats. The powertrain was usually Civic + 10%, and in that case the power increase in the base Integra was usually offset by its weight increase over the Civic. Of course, the intro of the GSR VTEC engines changed all that, and then finally with the advent of the RSX, the base integra has significantly more power than the Civic EX for the first time ever.

As to the cost of a GSR engine, well that would vary a ton. Used, new, rebuilt, junkyard motor, what? I am sure it would vary from one to several thousand dollars.

• j30j30 Posts: 30
    I have a 94 LS with 55,000 and the car has been a great run around for my wife. But I am getting a little concerned about the timing belt,

the manual says 6 years or 90,000.

So, should I spend the money and get it done or wait a few more years when we get closer to 90k? Just how important is the age factor? The car has never left Florida and looks almost showroom fresh so the salt and snow of the great north

isn't getting in anything...

On a side note something finally broke on the car, we had to replace the brake master cylinder because of a leak and the main controller

for the ABS is bad and they want $2250 to fix, so no more ABS...

When they had it in they wanted to do the timing belt then but I decided to wait on it. On a plus I can't believe they actually gave us a free Enterprise rental for three days when they had the car, we have had the car for 11 years! Acura sure takes care of it's customers.
    if it were me I am sure I would wait out the mileage on a timing belt. However, it should be easy enough to pull back the timing cover and just check to see if the belt is showing signs of age, which would be visible things like cracking. If you don't know how to do this, I am sure your favorite mechanic would do it for just a few dollars.

It looks like overall im going with an Acura Integra LS 2 door like I was saying before. I was thinking about going after a GSR because I've seen alot on autotrader between 94 - 96 with 150k miles going for about 5500 bucks. But I think I would be safer reliability and lasting wise going with a regular LS. Plus im sure itll go plenty fast for my liking. By budget is about 5k at high tho, you have any more input on what I should do there? And 4-5k is enough to buy a decent LS around 1995 - 1997 year model right?
    you wouldn't get a '97 in my area for $5000. A '95, maybe. Look for a '95 with lower miles (130K, say) at that price - a decent one should turn up.

Yeah sounds about right. Im looking at a black 95 integra GSR with 140k miles, it looked pretty decent in the picture too and its going for 5500. Thats a pretty sweet deal isnt it? For having the faster engine in it, but then I guess with that much age its not gonna have its full 170hp anymore either. Should I be looking for a deal like this when I'm ready to buy?
    for the price. Check it out though before you get too happy! :-P

• For those looking for a used vehicle or evn new...my personal advice to to NOT buy Acura's Extended warranty. You can buy one from a third party whic is about 50-75% less than Acura. Of course Acura brags about their "Geniune parts" but I personally wouldn't buy it. I bought a 99 GSR 3 yrs ago (42k) and when I bought it the e-brake light wouldn't come on so I took it to them and they fixed no prob. Now almost 2 yrs later w/ 58k, my extended warranty kicked in, my e-brake lights won't go off. I took it to the same dealer and they said that its not cover under my extend warranty cause its a wear-and-tear issue. Before they can even tell me that its not cover, they want to look at the car and if it comes out that its not cover (which it wasn't) I will have to pay them $100 just for looking at it! I said WTF, if I knew that the extend warranty will not cover these stuff and I have to pay you guys, the dealer which I bought the contract and vehicle from $100 just for looking at it and you guys won't even tell me if its covered....I would not have even bought the stupid warranty! The warranty costed me $1400.00 I'm going back to the dealer to cancel the extended warranty although I still have 1 year and 40k miles left on the contract, I want whatever that is prorated back! The stupid finace managers does not go over what is covered and whats not and also that you have to pay $100 just to have them look at your car and to find out its not covered! Luckily I just bought a 05 RSX type S and did not buy their extended warranty which they where going to sell to me for $1275, I told them that I can get on from my insurance "Mercury" for less than $600 and covered MORE than what they cover. Of course the only thing they had to say was "well, it might not be genuine acura parts!" I work for Mercury so I know their products unlike Acura who they don't even know their own product they they sell. For example, I got the 05 RSX w/ Aspec kit and they didn't even know if the spoiler lip was bolted or glued on since they were having problems getting the wing to fit. I was like "Um..its bolted on!" Stupid people, even I know that its not glued on....last but not least, they think that I don't know [non-permissible content removed] about negoatiating and about what I'm looking for in cars just because I'm tiny and small and is a female...But bad experience...So if anyone wants to buy their extended warranty make sure you go over EVERY details with them first! Or you will regret like me.
    Im going to go look at a 96 integra GSR 4 door sedan tomarrow. Is this car supposed to have a
    V-Tech engine? But anyway, says its a woman single owned vehicle with 110,000 miles on it with records of all maintanance done by acura with replacement of timing belt at 96k miles and recent 112k miles tune up all by acura. And to top it all off it has a 6 cd changer in it :) Overall shes willing to sell this thing to me for about 5000 bucks, but im going to go look at it tomarrow, is this a good price? Because I think this is ONE HELL OF A FRIGIN DEALLLL. Gonna drive it to make sure everything runs smooth and what not, whats yur oponion anyone??? And this car will haul [non-permissible content removed] alot more than a reg 5 speed 2 door LS right?
    yup, the GSR is the VTEC, 170 hp I think it was in 1996? A HECK of a lot of fun to drive when you wind it up to the VTEC crossover point. The price is up there a little, but it is a fairly hard car to find in stock condition, which it sounds like this one is. Not to mention the major maintenance items have been done, so hopefully this lady kept it in good shape over the years.

Don't forget to check the CV boots and joints, the trunk under the floor (for moisture or staining), and eyeball the radiator fluid while it is still cold. Hopefully the leather and the paint are in good shape.

• jcarterjcarter Posts: 2
    hello, i have a 1990 interga LS and i am having some of the problems that u talked about, the water in the trunk and condensation in the rear lights, i have looked everywhere and i dont know where it is comin from i just wondered if u knew how to stop it.
    as for the lights themselves, it is because their seals have dried out and shrunk, letting in water. The only way to fix this is to replace the whole light assembly - the installation is fairly easy, or a shop would do it for $50-75. The part itself had a price on the order of $125 when I bought one a while back.

If you are lucky, that is also the source of the water in the trunk. Do that repair first and see what happens. Also, make sure that if your year has a drain under the floor, it is free of junk and can actually drain. If it does have a drain it is where the spare sits and is there to deal with this exact problem.

If that is STILL not it then the next problem is the weatherstripping around the hatch or trunk lid itself. Even if it looks intact, it is not. It loses elasticity over the years, and when the door comes down on it, parts will flatten out too much allowing water in. It is cheap to buy, but a pain to install (at least it has been for me the couple of times I have tried to do that over the years). I can't imagine a shop charging you more than an hour's labor or so to install it. Also, the gutters around the hatch/trunk lid tend to accumulate junk like leaves and dirt, which causes water to overflow into the trunk - clean all that junk out.

Good Luck!

• jcarterjcarter Posts: 2
    thanks for the help, i will try this n hopefully it works!
  • hi! am a fan of your message board and have just bought a '99 integra LS 36k which i intend to keep for as long as it runs
    wanted to know if the timing belt needs to be changed now or at some mileage. and there is noise on turning sharply, starting, stopping...is that the cv joints as you say above...what will it take to get fixed?
    also what is your opinion on online warranties from 1source autowarranty or warrantydirect...1source is giving a bumper to bumper 48m/48k miles warranty for 1550!
  • khovkhov Posts: 1
    Hello friends. I just bought a 96'model Integra LS and Im not quite sure what to do with it. What should I do? Also, the car has leather seats, a moonroof, power, everything, so does that mean I bought a special edition??? I cant believe the lady sold the car to me for $4000!!! I do think it has been in an accident though since the front seems a little odd...Any ideas???