Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Integra - (All years/styles)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    DO NOT WAIT. Get the timing belt changed right away - after all, that is why the price was lowered anyway, so you should have it figured into the cost of the car, right?

They have a rep for breaking soon after their normal service life, especially if you make full use of the rev spectrum of the engine, and they will destroy the engine internally if they break.

Get it changed. Make sure they do the water pump as well. These little Honda water pumps never go 120K.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Also, congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you got a great deal. Btw, in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide you can look up manufacturer recommended service schedules including estimated parts/labor costs.... For future reference, you'll find this guide in our Ownership Section. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your Acura Integra experience.

To nippononly- Thanks for all your help/feedback on this board. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    I need to buy front struts for an 87 LS. Does anyone have any suggestions on where or what to buy? I wasn't crazy about the ride, it was very harsh. This car is not worth anything, and my brother-in-law will be doing the install. Also, I had them done in 12/00, there's probably less than 25K on them. How long do they usually last? Should I just buy from Pep Boys?
    is that few miles on them, why replace? Are they leaking? otherwise they should still be fine.

• brekkebrekke Posts: 304
    the front end is totally collapsed and even touching the right tire. I'm assuming it was from all the snow - it hadn't been driven in weeks. (I took it out briefly after spring thaw and realized, hmmm, something is very wrong) It's undriveable as is. I was instructed to buy struts, for all I know it could be something else.
    it was buried under a snowdrift? That does not bode well!

are a type of strut, whereas KYB is a brand that makes shocks and struts.

KYB are pretty good in general.

• hopeful4hopeful4 Posts: 2
    I'm considering the purchase of a '99 Integra GS (leather, moonroof). This was purchased by the dealer off-lease, with 35K miles. The dealer performs a quality inspection, as well as a local repair shop. He's asking $12,998. Seems like a great price. The reliability and sportiness are big attractions.

Now, about the details. When test driving it, I noticed a steady hum after about 35 mph. The dealer suspects it's from a wheel cylinder, and he's having that inspected/repaired tomorrow. I've seen some complaints of road and engine noise in other postings. Is the Integra generally a quiet car? Also, what about driver seat comfort? I'm about 200 lbs, and have a 30 minute commute to work. I also enjoy weekend drives out of town. How comfortable is the seating for a length of time?
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    The noise could be a bad wheel bearing. Your profile doesn't indicate what part of the country you're in, but if it's anywhere snowy, there's a good chance that could be it (salt kills 'em). If the noise increases/decreases when you go around corners or turn the wheel at highway speeds, you'll know for sure it's a bearing.

More likely, however, is that the original tires have hardened and are growling. The stock tires on every Integra (save for the Type-R) were pretty crummy to begin with. Try to work the deal for the cost of new tires (~$400), or at least get the dealer to commit in writing that they'll mount and balance your new tires for free (worth ~$120).

And no, the Integra is not known for a quiet ride. Fun, yes -- quiet, not really. Your choice of tire can have a lot to do with road noise, if that's a real concern for you, and you could always get some Dynamat to put in the doors to help quell the wind noise

I did a bunch (~450,000) of highway miles in two Integras, and found the seats to be excellent. I'm a bit narrower in frame than you (150lbs.), so there's a chance you could find the relatively tight interior kind of claustrophobic after a long time in the seat.

Good luck with your purchase. The Integra is a modern-day classic.
  • hopeful4hopeful4 Posts: 2
    I should have mentioned that the dealer has already replaced the tires with a Dunlop Sport style. And yes, I'm in a snowy part of the country. I live in Virginia, the car was leased in Maryland, and since you're in NY, you know what a winter we had here in the East! I hope the wheel bearing service takes care of the problem. Speaking of weather, how well does an Integra handle icy roads?

How complicated and expensive is the Dynamat installation you mentioned, and does it make a significant difference? Wind/road noise is my only real area of concern with this car.

Thanks for your helpful input!
    You're very welcome.

Being a front-driver, it does very well in the snow. I only did winter miles while driving on Artic Aplins or Blizzaks, so I can't vouch for the use of all-seasons.

Depending upon whether you are located in a mountain or coastal area, if you were to get an aggressive all-season tire like the Dunlop Sport SP5000, you should be fine in the wintertime.

You can purchase Dynamat thru car audio shops or online at http://www.crutchfield.com -- basically, you'd need to pull the interior panels of your doors and trunk to apply it. It adds a bit of weight and is not inexpensive, but it does do a good job of quieting the interior.
  • Hi,
      I am planning on getting an Integra for my first car. I am looking at the '93 GS3 (1.7L VTEC). Any one have an idea of what the insurance might be like for a 16 year old driver.
    Call GEICO -- they sell the stuff.
    sport coupe?

Rates will not be that good, that is for sure.

Liability and comp on mine costs more than on my (newer) 4Runner.

• hi all

I joined this group recently. I want your advice for making my decession on buying a 91 Acura-2 dr GS Hatchback/ 78000 milage (with leather seat and sun roof). I live in San Jose california. the owner is quoting $4500. is it reasonable. He has not replaced timing belt, he says it will come for many more miles. please advice.

thanks
    regards
    Harry
    Inform the dealer that time is a greater enemy of a timing belt than is mileage.

We're in different worlds, used car market-wise, so I can't say if that's a good deal or not.
  • What is the difference between the LS and GS?
    GS vs. LS -- GS came w/ leather and rear spoiler, and depending on the model year, the GS had standard alloy wheels and was available in a few different colors not offered for the LS.
    the LS usually came with alloys anyway however...before 1990 LS was top of the line I believe and they all had alloys...from 1996 on it is hard to find an LS with alloys, which is a shame. They were pushing their customers to pay for leather seats on the GS in order to get the alloy wheels.

harry acura: I would not wait on replacing that timing belt. Not only is it 12 years old, but it has done more miles than it should have at this point too.