Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi Engine Failure

Comments

• hey guys im another mad 04 durango owner. bought it last may and didnt drive it much do to my job. i started driving it about a week ago to go get it inspected. then put it back in its parking space. woke up yesterday morning to take my son to school. started it up and it sounded like rocks in my motor and a pool of oil under my truck. dodge have to pay for all of our troubles this is some reall bull. bassmaster57 what warranty company do you have that replace your motor. thanks everyone we need to really go a little harder and try getting a law suit on them
  • h bassmaster57 whats the name of the warranty company that replaced your motor
  • daddytomykidsdaddytomykids Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    Check out my video on youtube.. search for 2004 durango leaking water hydrolock. It shows water just pours into the engine compartment on top of the intake via the cowl. There is nothing other than the cowl that seperates the engine from the outside elements. I don't even think the dang thing diverts rain water. My engine has gone sour twice... I can't afford this. We need an engineer to prove how the water is getting in. The engine does not have to be submerged in water.. maybe others do but not this one. Best thing to do is open the hood. Spray your windshield with water and see if water leak in on top of your motor. People say, well your engine can't hydrolock if water is poured on top of it and I say eell if its designed wrong it can. Just need money a lawyer and an engineer.. I don't have either one.lol.
  • bassmaster57bassmaster57 Posts: 13
    edited January 2012
    Hello Jinx412, I'm not sure of the name of the warranty company. I purchased the warranty when I bought my Durango 04' from the Tom Masano Auto Group in Reading Pa. My Durango is the first Chrysler product I've owned (I've always been a suburban guy). I drive alot for my job and I pull a large boat when I am not working. Therefore, I was easily convinced to purchase the warranty. Good thing as I found out 6 months later when my engine failed. Now, I'm a big advocate for purchasing an aftermarket auto warranty when buying a used vehicle. With that said, get the warranty if you purchase the vehicle through a major dealership. If buying through a car lot or private seller, call your local AAA office and get a warranty through the auto club. My experince is they are the best, in price, recognition, and service. With other warranty co.'s, read the contract very carefully!, as to what's covered. Just as important is SERVICE and PERFORMANCE! If you have a local mechanic/ dealership, check and make sure they will accept payment up front from the warranty company (or any negative experience). Be sure to ask the warranty co. if they will replace your motor with a low mileage motor or at least with a fully tested used motor. I had to pay an extra $300 for a low mileage motor, which I gladly paid. The original suggested replacement motor had 80,000 miles (yeah right), the $300 got me a motor with 34,000 miles. I hope this helps!
  • bassmaster57bassmaster57 Posts: 13
    edited January 2012
    My Durango started leaking anti-freeze about a month ago. I started seeing very small spots on the ground on the passenger side of the truck. I checked the hoses and the radiator and all looked good. Driving home one day the temp gauge shot north of normal but luckily I was close to home. When I checked under the truck the fluid and steam was coming from the lower passenger side of the motor. Turns out it was the aux. water pump. I didn't know I had one of those and it took me calling three dealerships before I could identify the part. Yes, the dealership mechanics didn't know of this pump and I found out by calling other part stores, you can only get the pump from the dealer. Replacement was fairly easy. Remove air filter box etc. This will give you full access. Turn tires fully to the right. Put a low sided bucket under the unit to catch any coolant. From the top, disconnect two hoses held on by cinch clamps. Disconnect the power connector. The pump is secured by a rubber grommet. Pull up on the rubber mounting bracket by hand, pump will come out. The part number is 1-55056340AA. It is a part added by Mercedes in 2004. The manufacturer is Bosch. Hope this helps!
  • Thanks bassmaster57. I purchased a warranty with a company named wynn. I will be towing my truck to the dealership tomorrow. Thanks
  • hello everyone,my name is roy and i share the same concerns as many of you.i also have a 2004 dodge durango with the 5.7 lit granade,i am a certified auto tech as to which dodge does not want to talk with me.because i called them out on there defective 5.7 lit hemi. the problem with the engines vary,some have ticking noise due to poor material used in the valve seats,which dodge saved about $10 per veh by useing this cheaper press fit matrial at a low tolerance press fit into the head.and once the veh hets some where on it it starts to work its way out of the head.as to which they used the same material on the push rods and over time with the heat up and cool down of the engine the rods becomeweek there for snap and cause failure. as to which dodge will not admitt the failure but when i brought this to there attention all i reicived was silence on the other end of the phone. so i know i stuck a nerve with them but they are still not going to do anything for me. dodge sucks and thats that. i wish i coulod say i didnt own three of these ticking time bombs but i do one of which is blown up the other one is just paid off the other has 4 payments till paid off.if dodge doesnt acknowledge the problem fast ford here i come
  • angel121angel121 Posts: 9
    I finally just got my "bomb" back on the road after it sat for 8 months with a blown rod through the oil pan. Once the engine was pulled out, the mechanic asked me if the car had been under water or in a flood a 2 cylenders were completely filled with water! SO there is a lot of B S going on with this car and year model. I have had no assistance from DODGE what so ever, they blamed me for not maintaining the hunk of junk correctly, so I put an 05 used engine in the thing hoping for a better result. I am now determined to just get rid of the money pit. Shame on Dodge for what they have done and the conspiracy like cover up they perpetuate. THinking thier customers will forgive and forget is a naive concept. NEVER AGAIN will I or any of you purchase their garbage. Not when this is their reaction to their bad behavior and design. The one company that should have never been bailed out!
  • jinx412jinx412 Posts: 4
    I mean this 2004 5.7hemi is B.S. My extended warranty company or my insurance will not cover this blown hunk of junk. Really don't want to put a few grand into this junk and the same thing happens. But still owe money on it. Shills1024 round about what did it cost you do get yours back up and running.
  • I agree.

The overall design of the engine is excellent. A real power house, light weight, small displacement (relatively) and powerful. A win-win combination that yields power without sacrificing descent gas mileage. But why in the HELL did they use such cheap internals?? It blows my mind.
  • avanti67avanti67 Posts: 1
    Driving my '04 Hemi Durango, pulled out of toll booth, hit the gas, and BAM!, connecting rod through the side of the block.
    As an Amsoil dealer, I'm a fanatic about frequent oil changes, using Amsoil's best synthetic oil and filters. Clean as a whistle inside, my guess is the use of cheap/defective material for the rods.
    Jasper wants $3500 for a long block, plus $800 because the core is no good.
    Found a 67,000 mile engine for $2,000. Have to give it a try.
  • rambo818rambo818 Posts: 9
    The problem with buying another 04' engine is that when it hits around 83,000 miles the same thing is going to happen. You would be better off spending the extra and having the peace of mind that its going to last. I still don't have mine running yet. I have been so upset but I guess i will relent and have a Jasper put in ours. Chrysler owes all of us and it sickens me that they are totally ignoring this problem and taking no blame. This is America, we bailed them out....now the least they can do is stand behind their product....but thats not going to happen.
  • seeyuuhseeyuuh Posts: 1
    Last week. Same track, different lap. 84,000 miles kablewy! Motor grenades. Original owner. Maintained. No warning. What are we going to do folks? Safety issue? ....not. Design issue? ...probably. Does ANYONE know how to get restitution for this egregious injustice? NHTSA is for safety issues. We need to get organized and connected I guess. I can't believe this is normal for a model year. Anyone got any legal counsel? or do we just take it?
  • I was a proud owner of a 2004 Dodge Durango Ltd with the 5.7L HEMI engine. Then it self-destructed at 77k miles. We need to get organized and let Dodge know, at the very least, we are aware of their awful product and follow-up customer service and we will be very vocal about our experiences. They (Dodge, and at least for me, the "new" Chrysler) have permanently lost a customer....plus my husband and son and parents and siblings....
  • @ lisaintexas1

I agree. I also have a 2004 Durango Ltd with 5.7L Hemi and am also in Texas. My engine blew with no warning and I previously had no problems. I did call Chrysler and told them what had happened. They said the engine blowing was not a known issue and basically thanks for the info. They also apologized and said my engine blowing up was just a fluke. I told them this is happening to many 2004 Durangos with less than 100 k miles. AND I would NOT take a chance on another 'fluke.' My husband and I mainly purchased Chrysler products but have lost our business.
  • chris1017chris1017 Posts: 1
    Same story as everyone else. Driving yesterday on the Thruway, went to exit and heard a clunk, blue smoke started coming out. I was right at the exit and imediately pulled over and shut it off. My mechanic told me my only choice is to cancel the insurance, take off the plates, and get $350 from the scrap yard for a vehicle that cost $40,000 8 years ago with less than 80,000 miles on it. I would like to get it fixed, but he says he can't even find an engine for it.
  • drrighteousdrrighteous Posts: 49
    You need to find another mechanic that wants to work and not insult you by pouring salt on a wound.
    The ONLY way to recover any value in your Durango is to get it fix, and yes pay for it.
    If you vehicle is relatively low miles (less than a 100K) then you can get a premium for it if it looks good.
    Find a mechanic that will do a search for an engine (replacing engines is what good mechanics do all the time) and get a good price on a used engine. You should be able to find one for less than $2000 with a guarantee.
    A 2nd option is to sell the vehicle to a "rebuilder" and get something for it. (not junk value).
    Guys that buy cars and trucks; do some repairs and resell them for profit are all around. 2nd gen Durangos are popular vehicles so there should be some interest there.
    Prices vary greatly depending on where you live. In the southern states I have found 4x4s and SUV always bring a premium, but not so much in the northern states because of the rust issues. The salt use on the roads will damage a nice vehicles in just a few years so there is a glut of "fixers" vehicles in that area.
  • Sorry to hear your engine blew. I was able to get mine repaired but I didn't have a rod go through the block. I was able to get the engine rebuilt by an engine shop and was quoted $2,500 but once they tore into the engine, the heads were warped and they had to be replaced which cost another $700.00. A dealership was going to charge me $3,500 without replacing the heads so I would have been looking at approx $4,500 at a dealership for the same work. Now I am starting to have other problems with my Durango. First my air conditioning stopped working. I live in Texas and REALLY need it. I was afraid that repair was going to cost another $500 but we were able to reset the unit two days ago and saved ourselves a lot of money. We decided to take it out for a drive last night to see how the air conditioning was working. Stopped at a restaurant and ate, got back in the car, started to pull out of the parking spot by making a sharp turn and the car started jerking and making a chirping noise which sounded like it was coming from the tires. Felt like the wheels were not wanting to turn. Then noticed the svc 4wd indicator light is on. Will troubleshoot this weekend. I'm hoping it just needs fluid in the transfer case. Keeping my fingers crossed. I will not buy another Chrysler product. My next vehicle may be a Ford since they did not take the bail out. But I may look at a Toyota or other foreign cars. Nothing is totally made in America today.
  • I have noticed my back doors filling up with water after a rain and draining out when I open them. How do I fix that problem? What is the procedure? Thanks
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,521
    "making a sharp turn and the car started jerking and making a chirping noise which sounded like it was coming from the tires." That means it was/is in 4wd.
    On pavement when the tires can't slip that's what happens. When turning one has to travel farther than the other. It can be dangerous if you aren't aware of it, especially making sharp right turns.
    On my 2000 it sometimes is necessary to shift into reverse and back up a little to get it to fully disengage from 4wd locked.