Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi Engine Failure

Comments

• evw1959evw1959 Posts: 11
    You really need to file a complaint with the NTHSB about what happened. I've been down that same mountain road many times on my way to Florida and its dangerous enough when your vehicle is functioning properly. It's actual injuries/fatalities and near misses such as you've experienced that my eventually prompt the government to force a recall. Save your receipts for the repairs because if something is ultimately done, Dodge will have to reimburse you for the costs of repairs. Glad to hear that no one was injured.
  • dmprincsdmprincs Posts: 1
    the same thing happen to me two days ago,and the mechanic told me he never saw something like that,now it is costing me 3500 to get a new engine.
  • You got a good deal. It cost us $6400 plus tax to replace the engine on our 2005 Durango.
  • kaykaywckaykaywc Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 Durango 5.7 Hemi and when it had about 128,000 miles on it the motor went out. I'm like everyone else, that's not enough miles on a truck for it to be going out. the mechanic said that it had lost its compression. So I had to have the motor replaced. I did not get any assistance since it was out of warranty. I would be glad to to join a lawsuit.
  • can you please give me your e-mail that is not on here they keep spamming me
    and take my post off
  • evw1959evw1959 Posts: 11
    evw1959@gmail.com
  • mepoillion@aol.com
  • sold@mandisrealestate.com.....I think they will spam all of us out...try spelling out the symbol "at"......

sold(at)mandisrealestate(dot)com...
  • durangocrapdurangocrap Posts: 6
    edited July 2010
    DITTO! My situation is the exact same as yours, including the amount of money I paid for my truck and same mileage. I sent you an email, so you have my contact information. I did have to put a new engine in mine, well a "rebuilt one" and it cost me roughly $5000.00. My mechanic also did not have a good explanation as to why it happened. My truck only had 84,000 miles when it happend, October 30, 2009.
  • Reading your posts- I'd like to join in-
    I own a 2005 Dodge POWERWAGON with the 5.7 Liter... While doing 80 MPH down I-4 in Florida I was almost about to test out the seatbelts! The engine with 125K miles on it blew- The conn rod shot out of the side of the block- Being an Engineer on ships for years, I knew the sound. I just didn't expect the reaction of the truck- EVERYTHING shut off- NO power steering, Brakes went limp- NO idiot lights other than "Check Gauges" came on?? .. Scared the living piss outta me- After nearly side swiping another vehicle and almost rolling the truck in the median, I made it to the side of the road, I observed the damage- Surprisingly the atomized oil didn't catch the entire rig on fire because it sprayed all over the exhaust. Looking at the nice hole in the side of the block where the conn rod was sticking out, I knew this was not right given the low miles (125K) of the truck and the extent of which I service this engine. The dealership is currently replacing the engine with a Re-Man and I expect to have it back next week. The dealership loaded my Blown engine into the back of my truck per my request. When I get the old engine back I will be conducting a full tear down and investigation on the engine. Determining the root cause of failures is my specialty and what I do for a living. If anyone would like access to the report- it will be done in several weeks after I receive the engine. In reading all of your posts- There seems to be a commonalty between these engines... I would like to contact those of you for additional information on your engines that have had failures- i.e.- Serial and arrangement numbers along with any pictures or service reports indicating the Mechanics notes. With this report I will be submitting it to MOPAR headquarters and the NTSB for follow-up and an explanation. I was able to narrowly avoid a severe crash but would not be able to sleep should anyone else have this problem and not be so fortunate. Thank you, Scott
  • zan1zan1 Posts: 1
    Had same thing happen 80,000 miles motor blown mechanic says he has no idea of cuase all fluilds where good and had been serviced reg. would be greatful for any info as far seeing this prob addressed by dodge. orrlok@yahoo
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Please don't include your email address in posting to our Forums. Thanks! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • So many similar stories in this forum. I have a 04 Durango with 5.7 Hemi. It is clean and very well maintained...I love driving this SUV! I never had an issue with my Durango, had dealer perform all scheduled maintenance as suggested in the manual. One morning I turn on my Durango and thump, thump, thump...engine dead. I don't understand or accept that an engine that was simply humming in harmony one day can die the next with no warning. I'll keep calling Chrysler knowing that I will never hear "we'll send you a new/reman engine"

The dealer is asking approximately 7,000 for a replacement engine. I live in Kentucky, outside of Louisville. Does anyone know of engine suppliers that may come in less than what I have been hearing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Lost without my Durango =(
  • smleistsmleist Posts: 2
    Looks like i'm stuck with a $10,000 lawn ornament. I can't afford to have the engine replaced. Luckily I wasn't driving when mine went. Maybe that is why I don't have a big hole in the engine. I am still able to start it, but it makes a very loud and fast ticking noise. Won't be driving it, that's for sure. What sucks the worst, is that i'm still paying almost $300 a month in payments for a vehicle I may never drive again. I can't let my credit take a hit on this, because I will need to get another vehicle eventually. My 3 kids are hoping for a recall as well, so that they don't have to be dropped off at the day-care at 5:30 in the morning anymore. Keep me posted on what comes down the pike. smleist at hotmail dot com
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Please don't include your email address in messages posted to our Forums. Thanks.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I had the Dodge put mine in. I really didn't have the money to do so, but I figured that if I am spending $7000 on a new engine I wanted a warranty. So now my Durango has an engine with a warranty.
  • jkthorpejkthorpe Posts: 1
    Hello Airborne,

I have a 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi and I am on my 4th engine. Each time it has been replaced I have asked for the accompanying tech form for the engine and each time I have been told that they do not exist. Also I have never been told what happened to the engine. I got 30K miles out of the original, 2K out of the second and 6K out of the third. I have also requested a call from the Chrysler Regional Manager but again nothing. I would be interested to hear the results of your tear-down if you have the time.

Best regards,

Ken
  • After reading most of the posts in this forum I am not feeling good! After driving around all day, no issues, I went out to start my truck and it fired then stalled. On re-start it cranked until i opened the throttle then it started rough and would not idle. I was able to get it to the dealer by maintaining rpm with my foot on the brake. It felt like restricted fuel flow or a plugged exhaust at first, no loud bangs or rods through the block. The dealer finally called me and told me #7 had a dead miss, ignition checked good, may be a bad valve spring or rocker arm assembly.
    With everything I have read here it should be an interesting discussion on Monday. The truck has 145,000, excellent condition and maintenance, no heavy use unless pulling a horse trailer for 4H counts has heavy use. Like many others no warning at all, just stalled at startup.
  • I have a 2006 jeep commander with 77k oil changed every 4k with mobil1 at 100.00 per oil change my wife came out of the store started it BOOM 0 comp #1 cly smashed spark plugs dents in the piston. the only good news I am a ex mech of 25 years I can fix it myself for a fraction of the cost when I have the time. the BAD news is for dodge is I have been in business for myself for 18 months and doing well was looking at a 2010 ram with a hemi for a company truck and a challenger for my daughter when she turns 16 you just lost $60,000.00 in car sales I will do like the rest of the americans get smart and buy a nissian or honda
  • vadacvadac Posts: 1
    I had been having problems with my Durango starting, the check engine light came on, took it to the Dealership to have it checked. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It had 120K miles on it, they said to do a tune up. We keep up with the maintenance like clock work, it is paid for and I want to keep it a few more years before jumping in to another note. The dealership quoted me $650 parts and labor to change the plugs and wiring harness. We purchased the plugs and wires at Oreilly for under $100, and spent the afternoon changing them ourselves. The light went off and it ran fine for 3 days, the light came back on and then I had to start accelerating it to get it to catch. It would try to turn over, but wouldn't start unless I gave it the gas. It got worse so I took it in and told the dealership what was wrong. They called me 2 days later and said the Auto Light Platinum plugs I put in it were gaped at .056 and I needed .040 and that Auto light plugs won't run in a Dodge, I needed any other brand but Auto Light, WTH???? Oreilly and Auto Zone both recommend the Auto Light Platinum on their web sites. I called 2 Oreilly stores and they both recommended them also.
    After hearing all of this, I am really scared now. I can't afford to replace my engine. I am going to the dealership on Monday, we will see what happens from here.