Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi Engine Failure

Comments

• speedtrapspeedtrap Posts: 10
    I originally started this link a couple years ago when my Hemi blew. Luckily it was still under warranty. The new (should i say REBUILT) motor has been working fine ever since (the motor now only has 37,000 miles.) I have read otheres talking about working on a class action suit. Anyone have any info? From what I've been hearing a reading, it seems that the problems were supposedly fixed for 2005 and newr Hemis. i know the aggravation you are all going through, and still keep crossing my fingers everyday that it stays ruinning.
  • tbird37887tbird37887 Posts: 4
    Chrysler did end up footing 75% of the bill. My only issue was that the engines are having to be replaced so much none were available. The service manager at the dealer realy worked for us. He wanted a new long block but there was a 6 month backorder. He requested Chrysler to purchase a Jasper engine with a three year warranty so no go. A Chrysler long block had a better warranty than what the Durango came with new! So it ended up the dealership "built" an engine. Found a new block and ordered all new parts. it took two weeks just to locate the parts! One head actualy had to come from Canada none available in the US due to so many replacements (right side) The service manager refused to put any of the old parts on the new engine(thank goodness) Any electrical parts and anything connecting to the engine was thoroughly examined! At last due to no new engines being available we ended up with a 12k mile warranty on each individual part. With all the problems Chrysler should pay 100%...Have been looking at trucks realy wanted a Dakota but dont think so sorry Dodge just cant trust you to spend that much and not know how long before a breakdown!!! :(
  • mish7777mish7777 Posts: 3
    I read these posts and the ones on the NHTSA site about the flaw in this engine that Chrysler has done NOTHING about and I get so angry. On Sunday April 17, 2011, I went out to start my 2004 Dodge Durango with 76.400 miles on it, and it sounded like a midget was in the engine throwing metal around. It was making the most awful banging and clanking noises.
    I had it towed to my local mechanic and he said I had a "hole in the engine block...probably from a thown rod". I was just out of my extended 7yr/70,000mi warranty of course. I contacted Dodge customer service and was assigned a case and TURD case manager named Roland how advised me to have the vechicle towed to my Dodge dealer (at my own expense).
    I did that. They made me sign a paper saying I would pay for 1hr of labor to "inspect the engine". Two days later my dealer calls saying that they inspected the "top part of the engine" and it was clean (no signs whatsoever of sludge or neglect) and that the district manager of service wanted them to take apart the bottom of the engine now ....for another 2hrs of labor....are you kidding me????? I was already out over $300. Meanwhile my turd case manager is telling me that since I'm out of warranty ..he doesn't have to do anything for me..but they may give me $1500 after this engine inspection procedure (which could cost as much as $800) Really???? Really??? A new (remaned) engine is $7900.....Really????
    The end result is I sold the car to a junk yard and lost 10grand in equity I had on the car. It was a well maintained $40,000 vechicle..the engine should not SELF DESTRUCT!! Dodge-Chrysler does NOT stand behind their products. I filed a complaint on the NHTSA web site...as YOU ALL SHOULD ( https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/) There are 591 complaints....REALLY DODGE???? My tax money bailed out your company??? I took what little scrap money I got and went and bought a 2011 Kia Soul (made 94% in Korea) and will NEVER buy American again!! Please everyone....file your complaints on NHTSA site, it takes less than 10min, maybe we can get a class action suit going..I could NOT afford to loose the equity I had in that car. Does anyone know any other sites to complain?
  • rambo818rambo818 Posts: 9
    We drove all over the place the day before without any problems. My husband went to leave on Monday morning to run an errand and when he started it he heard a loud clicking sound. Upon investigation...he found a hole in the oil pan and we had it towed to the Dodge dealer where we purchased it new in the summer of 04'. They called the next day and said it was Engine failure and it would cost $6500.00 to fix. Are you serious???? No engine lights, smoking, noises....nothing until the morning he went to start and found the oil on the ground. I did have a problem twice with the engine just dying while i was in driving it....and was powerless to steer it or use the brakes...luckily both times I was in very little traffic. It started right back up both times as soon as I put it in park and turned the key. We have maintained the vehicle the entire time we have owned it and cant understand how they can just charge us for an engine when it was nothing that we did....and by reading the complaints on this site and others...it is apparent that it is a common problem for the 04' Durango's and the 04' Rams and even the 04 Jeeps....why isnt Chrysler doing something about this?
  • shopaulashopaula Posts: 3
    The same thing just happened to us also... I love my truck. We bought it used, it had under 117 000 clicks on it. I babied that truck and my heart is just broken over it... It was going to be $10 000.00 to replace the motor and my husband just refused to put that into it... now I'm looking for a replacement, but I can't get rid of the sick feeling in my stomach... I'm not happy to hear this has happened to others, you think Dodge would clue in that there is a problem and do a recall... to late for my truck, my husband sold it for 1500, which is making me more sick to my stomach thinking about it!!! :(
  • Every day more and more people with Dodge Durango/Trucks in the effected years are losing engines to rod failure. Chrysler as a whole is not going to do anything about unless the public outcry affects their PR.
    All we can do is register a complaint with NHTSA.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    I'm in Canada... is there an agency here to complain to?

I went to the dodge dealership in our area... was basically told "oh Well"... are you looking for another truck... I won't repeat what I told them... if the damn Durango would have started, I would have been driving up somewhere it might have got stuck that would have been very uncomfortable for a certain sales person!!!!

We have a family friend that had the same problem with thier 04 Durango... he's still fighting with Dodge over it and it's been over 2 years....
  • mjbuddmjbudd Posts: 9
    I agree i filed a complaint with NHTSA and consumer protection. As the 2004 start hitting the higher mileage this is going to happen again and again. After 3 months we are finally getting our durango back tonight.

Got a chance to see the old engine last night and was SHOCKED by the size of the hole in the block. I'm convinced Chyrsler won't do a damn thing until someone dies or gets seriously hurt.

please please go to NHTSA and file a complaint!
    We are still in limbo about ours and it happened the 25th of April. My daughter overheard a woman talking on the cell phone last night at Walmart (she was sitting in an 04 Durango) about her vehicle just shutting down while driving again...this time she was on I-70 going 70 mph....so my daughter told her about our Durango and of the many other complaints and told her to look up this site and read about it. I wouldnt doubt but what people have died already and it was blamed on driver error. Isn't there some way that we could all band together and do something?????
  • mjbuddmjbudd Posts: 9
    i don't know what it takes to have a class action law suit started. I had an attorney send Chrysler a letter when we were trying to get them to do something and basically got a letter back saying sorry your SOL.

mine also happened in early April and we are just going to get it back tonight. ended up going with a jasper motor, not looking forward to finding out what the bill is tonight.
  • This was an issue ours was having not long after we bought it (in 2008). Very intermittent but usually while turning, or going up or down a grade it would just DIE.
    And I fixed it. This sounds completely unlikely and improbable but I changed the transmission fluid and both filters and it was completely trouble free until the engine blew last year.
    There is a technical bulletin on this issue. It has something do with the sensors in the tranny sensing 0 pressure when it should be high because the vehicle is under power. The ECU (brain) shuts the vehicle down to prevent transmission damage; if I understood the bulletin correctly.
    IF you have a Hemi Durango you have the 545FE. The track record of this transmission has been outstanding. This does not mean you have a problem, but likely you may have a clogged filter or the fluid can simply be low and cause this issue.
  • 88budman88budman Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Charger with the Hemi for a police car. Two days ago while idling it developed a miss and died. When I restarted it it made a clanking noise and I turned it off and called a wrecker to take to our shop. The #3 cylinder caughed up an intake seat and chewed up the piston, head, and cylinder. The car only had 49,000 miles and our shop services them on a regular basis. It has never gone over 3,000 miles on an oil change since new and I am the only one who drives it. Yet with only a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty I guess we are sunk. Dodge said it has no knowledge of a problem with valve seats falling out. I told them they should Google it then and they might learn something like they don't already know.
    We just had to have ours towed back to our house from the dealer at our expense. It sat there for two months while we were trying to get Chrysler to help us with it. They wouldn't do a thing because we changed our own oil for the past 3 years and hadnt kept a record. They called and left a message that if we didnt come get the vehicle from the dealer they were going to consider it abandoned....I feel like screaming. You would think that there would be something all of us could do together to get something done. They hadnt once ask us to come get it before that call and they knew that we were trying to get help. For the two weeks prior to this call....my husband had made numerous calls to the Manager at the dealer and to the person he had been talking to at Chrysler with no return calls. They KNOW of the many complaints and have chosen to ignore them. Makes me sick that we bailed Chrysler out when they were going under and they could care less about us now. I wouldnt be one bit surprised if someone hasnt died due to the engine just quiting on the highway. When it happens there is no brakes and you cant steer so the person behind you would be unaware. No brake lights or warning lights either. Naturally it would be blamed on human error....who would suspect a newer vehicle having engine failure while driving down the highway. It happened to me twice but i was on a street both times with little or no traffic. I wish you luck in trying to get help...but we bought ours new and had always done our oil changes on time...and this has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the oil and they know it...
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Sorry about your problems but it isn't true you have no brakes or steering. What happens is you loose power assist for both, but they still work. It takes more muscle to turn the wheel and more force on the brakes, like in an older car before those were common options or standard equipment.
    Good Luck with Dodge... we have a family friend that also had a :lemon: Durango, same year as ours and it happened 2 years ago... he's still fighting with them. He's a lawyer, so no legal fees, but a lot of time involved and still not getting anywhere. I sent a email to Dodge over a month ago and no response still... I'm going to start emailing them every day until I get a response... I'm still mad as hell and it's been over 2 months now. We are not going to fix ours... just feeling ripped off still....
    I'm telling you ....I had no brakes or steering....i'm no spring chicken and I use to drive cars before power brakes or steering were ever heard of, and I had to coast til my car stopped. Plus there are no brake lights and no way to turn on your flashers. Can you imagine this happening while going down the highway at 70 mph?????
    Did I mention in my earlier post that the dealer didnt charge us a dime for anything (ordering a new oil pan, testing to find what the problem was etc...they had told us we would be charged a fee. So that right there tells me they know they are getting off lucky....or we would have been charged an arm and a leg for thier services...
  • angel121angel121 Posts: 9
    My 04 Durango threw a rod back in April. It still sits dead in my driveway. For 6K to fix it, please. You can't even sell one of these for 6K becuaes EVERYONE knows what a peice of garbage they are....

I watch these sites and keep seeng the complaints, month after month. New people affected by this defective car that Dodge refuses to stand behind.

What is it going to take to get orgnized people? What is it going to take to get news organizations and class action lawyers to shame them in public??
    "DO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE DURANGO HAS BEEN THE PAST 2 YEARS" On top of the scrap metal heap and now they are trying to do it again with thier slick adds and muscle car looks. If you all are serious, get it together and respond.

Get national news involved. How can there be so many cunsumer complaints and NOBODY checking into this???????????????????
    well...going down a highway at 65 mph and have your engine cut out with no lights or warning signals to let the person behind you know that you have no power....having brakes or steering that is next to impossible to make work is of little help. I've driven older cars and the muscle power is quite different with engine failure. Im not a spring chicken...
    What state do you live in and are you getting in touch with the news media there? Attorneys cant do anything about it and I cant even get mine running due to lack of finances at the moment. Even though we changed our oil religiously....we dont have records for the last 3 years because our nephew did it for us so they are using that as an excuse not to help us. If they would take the engine apart they would see that ours was well maintained. We bailed them out and they are dropping the ball on us....go figure.
  • swijoswijo Posts: 1
    We bought the car used with 62,000 miles and records of oil changes and so on, main reason we got car. Then after about 4 months and 2000 miles more, my wife called asking be what the ticking noise might be and what should she do about it? Told her could be any thing and to keep driving untill it stopped then call tow truck. She got home OK. When I went out to look/listen at the engine it did start but what a banging noise was coming from under the hood. When we bought the car the salesman talked us into an extended warranty and asked us to bring it back to them if there were any problems. So I called the dealer (GMC) and made appt for the car to be checked out. Next day got call that there was a large hole in the block and would need a new engine. Gave the shop the phone number of the warranty company and after about a week of talking got a rebuilt engine instead of an used one with only needing to pay $200.00. Only problem it took the GMC shop 1 month to change the engine. So far no problems with the new engine. Will NOT be buying anything else from Dodge. Glad I got talked into that warranty as per the GMC shop new engine would have been around $6000.00 instead of the $200.00