Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• bcloughbclough Posts: 97
    Where should I put the bumper sticker on my Celica? I had hoped to not have to use one at all, but my son made the honor roll at the junior high, and I feel I have to exhibit the sticker to support his efforts! I don't really like the idea of putting it on the bumper. I am thinking of putting it on the left rear window, right behind the driver's seat. I never look out that window anyway.

Brenda
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Sound like a good place to me. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • I'm looking into getting an exhaust system installed in my 2000 celica GT Does anyone have any suggestions/advise or links on this?
    Thanks
  • badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    installing a good free-flow muffler from any of the top manufacturers, any of which you can find in Sport Compact Car and other import mags (or at your local speed shop). The benefits are a beautiful sound and appearance, with a small (unnoticeable, really) increase in high-rpm performance.

Any more money spent (on a cat-back, for instance) would accomplish little and cost you more.
  • Poorboy, I also want an exhaust for my 01 GT. I heard that the best one is the TRD, they say it isn't too loud, and you should notice between 8-10 hp at the wheels on the GT model. My friend had a Borla on his TA, and it came with plates you can take in and out to adjust the sound and performance... that is a creative idea. I am not too sure if I want to fork out $500 though. If you do decide on an exhaust, keep me informed.
  • badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    is excellent. I have one on my Corolla, and it sounds wonderful. I believe it lists for about $350.
  • but a sticker on that tiny window will eliminate what little view a passenger back there might have. it can feel claustrophobic.
  • bcloughbclough Posts: 97
    Let 'em suffer. There's so little leg room back there that a rear-seat passenger is in unhappy case anyway.

Brenda
  • freddi1freddi1 Posts: 14
    Hi Folks! My first post here...I'd like to know if anyone feels it's worth getting body work on a 1987 GT hatchback. I bought it new in July of 87 and have 150K on it now. Have kept it maintained mechanically & physcially. Unfortunately, the replacement body parts are rusting away. I now only drive it in the summer (still has that great get up and ZOOM!). I am torn about putting $$ into getting the rusted parts replaced or just keep driving it until it's a skeleton! Interior is in good condition, except for the driver's side rug, which has worn through. Would you let it rust or invest some $$ in it to bring it back to it's former glory?? Thanks for any input & hope you all had a great St. Patrick's Day!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    If you plan on keeping it for another 5 years or more, then yes, replace the rusty panels and get a quick Maaco paint job.
  • ckigginsckiggins Posts: 68
    If so, just curious how much over invoice/below sticker you paid...
    8u6hfd - actually I was planning on holding onto it for another 18 years to give it to my grandson, who is 2 now. ;-) I have always regretted getting rid of my 53 chevy, 55 chevy, 75 & 79 buick regals, my 77 Datsun 510 & especially my 69 VW BUG!! So, I figure maybe it'd be worth keeping it up for him, who knows, it might be worthless, but then again......
  • walter99walter99 Posts: 10
    ckiggins - bought an new 2002 Celica GT three weeks ago. Paid $600 over invoice. My wife did the negotiating, after 14 years of marriage she wanted to give it a try. She did a good job. There may have been a little flex left on the dealers side, but not much.
    From Edmunds' Daily Headlines section, here's an article that you may find interesting: Toyota adds wings to 2002 Celica. (This is not a permanent link.) Thanks for your comments.

Revka
    Host
  • joffficerjoffficer Posts: 169
    I finally got this car from my mother. She bought it new and said I could have it when she got a new car. I never figured she'd have it for 15 years! She did keep it in GREAT condition, though.
    I was trying to find more info about the car. Like how many were built, or who converted them the drop tops? Another thing is, will the 3SGE engine drop in (without major mods, or what has to change?). I'd like to replace the 3SFE, as it's got 145k miles, and kind'a under powered. Anybody know of a good site for these cars (86-89)?
  • I have noticed that my Celica sometimes is a little hard to start. This morning it almost did not start. I wonder if anyone has had this problem. Also would it make any sense that on Sunday(last day I started it) I turned on the engine for only a few seconds to move it forward in the garage. Car was cold at the time. Could I have flooded the engine? Also has there been any service bulletins on starting problems. Thanks Les
    Hi joffficer- "will the 3SGE engine drop in (without major mods, or what has to change" You should also try asking (copy/paste) your question this new discussion Maintenance and Repair discussion: Toyota Celica Engine. Mr. Shiftright may have some feedback to offer. Good luck.

Hi lesterinindy- "2000 GT starting problems". Sorry to hear about your vehicle problem. You can also check in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see if there are any related TSBs. Good luck and please keep us posted on your situation.

Revka
    Host
  • missp1missp1 Posts: 1
    My 2000 GT has already had the transmission replaced. I bought the car brand new and still owe around $15,000 on it. You can imagine how angry I was when I picked the car up from a basic oil change and learned that the transmission was bad. It was replaced by the local Toyota dealership and was fully covered by the powertrain warranty. My dilemma is that I generally have a bad feeling about the car. I am constantly watching the tac and listening to the engine. Now I want to get rid of the car before the warranty runs out. I am torn between trusting Toyota again or trying another manufacturer. Overall, I loved the car before this problem. Has anyone else experienced the transmission problem or other major defects?
    The 3S-FE and 3S-GE are siblings (same block). The 3S-GE should drop in without a problem. You'll end up needing a new ECU, and you might want to replace the transmission with a rebuilt one (it's not about incompatibility issues, it's age issues).
  • joffficerjoffficer Posts: 169
    like power steering pump, etc?
    That I'm not sure about.
  • I'm 18 and a college student and wondering what the insurance difference between a Corrola and a Celica would be. I have good grades and a clean record and live in the Los Angeles area, just wondering how big the difference actually is because my father won't buy me a Celica due to its "sportiness".
    If you are comparing apple-to-apple coverage, i.e. FULL Comp & Collision and the same liability on each and everything else remains exactly the same (mileage driven, etc.) then the Celica will cost more for a number of reasons. The liability should not change as that is "normally" based on the driver. (Cmp & Collision are usually based on a "cost class", safety items (air bags, ABS, alarms, etc.) Some of the items that protect the driver & passengers may affect liability coverage. The Alarm will lower Comp, ABS should lower collision, etc. The cost is figured on accident, mortality stats as well as the original cost of the car. The easiest thing to do is to get the VIN's (vehicle id #) and give it to your insurance agent to give you a comparative quote for each car. Hands down though, the Corolla will cost less to insure, BUT, won't you always wish you'd bought the Celica ;-) If I were you, I'd make sure Dad gets to drive the Celica when it's around home! That should solve that!
    Hope this helps, I'm sure there must be some agents out there to either add or correct my info. Good Luck & whichever one you choose, drive defensively! PS-I don't live in CA.
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Insurance question? The operative rule to follow is NOT to drive like I do... that is, you really should consider those numbers on those signs on the roadside.
  • thanks for the advice Freddie... I just hope I can convince my father. Do you have any advice for convincing my father? heh heh =)
  • verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    Yes... tell him the Toyota engine sludge improves Toyota reliability. har har LOL
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    Just FYI, Toyota has agreed to pick up the bill for any engine failures due to sludge for all the 3.0 engines and the 2.2 from the late 90's - they are now warrantied for eight years from the date they went into service, regardless of mileage. And don't get a corolla just because of the insurance costs, if what you really want is a celica - the celica is way more fun to drive through the canyons!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I'm glad I asked
  • boomn29boomn29 Posts: 189
    Anybody got any information on:
    INTIMIDATOR INTAKE SYSTEMS for 00-up Celica's?

I have a '01 GTS and am looking for performance mods.
    www.newcelica.org