Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• verozahlverozahl Posts: 574
    ... I ordered the Economy Bundle of tar & feathers.

If anyone's interested in finding an old Toyota, such as a 1984 Celica-Supra, Ann Arbor Subaru has one sitting on their lot for sale...

... because we all know Toyota can't handle the task of styling these days! oh so hard.
  • voochvooch Posts: 92
    I agree that the 84 Celicas/Supras are better looking than the current Toyota models, and most other makers current sports coupes. I love em. I never really liked Preludes, maybe the really old ones but none of the newer ones so I won't be missing it.

But I think Honda did an even worse job of "styling these days" with the RSX and the god awful 2003 Accord (not part of the topic but I can see how the RSX was born). But I'm sure I will become numb to them in time after having to see the majority of the population driving them. Sigh.

I'm happy that you will be saving money with the economy sized tar and feathers because you're going to need it if you start a styling war and are trying to defend Honda, King of the Bland! =)
  • guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 632
    Whatryall talking about?

I think my 2000 Celica has distinct Ferrari-like styling. EVERYONE comments on it, and how "cool" it is!
  • I have a young friend (age 19) who is buying his first new car, and he is
    purchasing a Celica GT. He has just gotten the loan together and the credit
    union has taken his downpayment and the insurance is in order. The car
    itself will be shipped soon, he hasnt driven it because it's coming from another
    island. Anyway, neither he nor I have any doubts that the Celica is a good
    car and is what he wants. But I have a lingering concern about roominess.
    He is 6'1" and about 175 lbs. Will he be fitting ok into the driver's seat? I
    just remember riding in a Mazda sportscar (RX7?) about 15 years ago
    and I couldnt even sit up straight. This wont happen with the Celica,
    and my friend, I hope??
  • Sitting up straight could be a problem. I'm 6', and I tend to lean backwards. When I sit upright though, I find my head touching a bit.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    to recline that driver's seat! 6'1" will not fit under that roof with the seat back up straight.

One reason I sold mine...

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• Hi all, I am considering buying a automatic Celica GT or a Acura RSX (not the type S). Haven't test-drove any yet. But is there any data on the 0-60 of these two cars? Consumer Reports only has data on the GT-S. Also, which car has more space (both cockpit and trunk)? Thanks for your input.
  • Hi all, I am considering buying an automatic Celica GT or a Acura RSX (not the type S). Haven't test-drove any yet. But is there any data on the 0-60 of these two cars? Consumer Reports only has data on the GT-S. Also, which car has more space (both cockpit and trunk)? Thanks for your input.
  • Can anyone give me information about whether or not a 1992 Toyota Celica ST's engine is interference?
    (1) none of the Toyota 1.8L engines is interference, no worries there. Check Gates Rubber website if you want exact specs on all makes and models timing belts...

(2) Celica has more trunk space but less cockpit space than RSX. As far as performance, I have only driven the auto in the celica, but it is a lot slower than the celica manual, so unless RSX has the same problem, I assume the RSX auto would be faster. Celica is the leader for handling and braking.

• 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    2ZZ-GE is interference.

All the GE heads are interference design

FE heads are non-interference
    yes, I forgot about that engine - celica GTS and now Matrix XRS.

I will amend: Toyota makes very few interference engines.

All the new celica and corolla engines since 2000 have a timing chain, not a belt at all! This makes the interference/non-interference thing a moot point, since it is highly unlikely that a chain will break the way a belt would - in the event it might, it will give you lots of noisy warning ahead of time!

BTW, I went on the Gates site, and the only Toyota listed of all the Toyotas they have on there back to the mid-80's that is an interference engine with a timing belt is the most recent Tundra engine.

• Amazing, I didn't know my car had a chain. Well, what it lacks in timing belt replacements, it more than makes up for with tire replacements!

Did you guys see the Edmund's Videos?

"2001-2002 Sport Coupe Comparison Video Reviews"

WOW, me like!
    everyone with the GTS with the Yokohamas seems to go thru that first set of tires really quick - 20K miles or less...they should have one of those warning stickers on the car like they do on the IS300 - "due to the sporty nature of these tires, you may experience reduced longevity, sometimes 20,000 miles or less"...

• sergeissergeis Posts: 133
    welst10: I have GT 2000 auto, takes ~8.5 sec for 0-60.
    nippononly: they use Dunlops Sport 4000 on GT, complete junk - the front ones lasted ~20K. Now I have 34K and close to 3 years - the rear tires developed cracks running all along the groves. Besides they were always extremelly noisy. No matter what you do those tires do not last long.
    my '02 GT had Bridgestone Potenza RE92s, a tire I am infinitely well acquainted with for its mediocre performance and high level of road noise. OTOH, I have had many of them, and have never known them to wear out especially early, or develop cracks or other problems.

• My friend's new 2002GT just arrived on the barge last night and we picked it up today. I was still carrying some worry about a cramped interior, but when we got in we found it plenty roomy and the headroom was fine. He is at least 6' and I am 6'1. What a nice surprise. It is a base Celica with no spoiler, white with the Bridgestone tires, 5 speed trans. He is sure happy. And the price came to 17500 including tax and license and everything.
    the base sticker, the celica is a real good deal in today's market. Who really needs power windows or locks when the car is a two-seater? It has what matters: A/C and a CD player. And that blasted spoiler...Toyota should pay the buyer for having to put up with that thing! I just wish alloy wheels were standard, but that is one thing that cannot be expected in this market at $16K.

• Looking at selling a used 2000 Celica GT - Red, automatic - 43K miles, sunroof and most the other goodies - you guys have any idea on how good the market is for one of these - how much do you think its worth - its my wifes car - sedate driver - new Yokohamas - she wants a Camry. Thanks
  • sf24sf24 Posts: 18
    Hi, do you guys know how much more i'd pay in insurance for a GT-S over a GT? I'm 25, clean record.

Thanks!
    age 33 single, it was about $400/yr...

as far as previous post, I hardly see any celicas for sale used, so you should price it up and see what interest you get...

Hi, do you guys know how much more i'd pay in insurance for a GT-S over a GT? I'm 25, clean record.

Thanks!
    about the repeats...i unknowlingly clicked refresh too many times.

thanks for your reply nippononly. that seems very cheap, is that comprehensive coverage?
    that was the price DIFFERENCE! Once I got my GT, my insurance for full coverage with $500 deductible collision, $100 comp was $1820 per year. It would have been well over $2000 for the GTS.

thanks for clearing that up, hehe
    i was thinking of shopping a GT with the 'upgrade package' and maybe some alloy wheels. that would push the price to within 2k-3k of the GT-S. can u give me your opinion about which to choose, ie. are the benefits of GT-S worth the extra 2-3k initial cost plus the cost of higher insurance, premium gas, lower mpg?
  • I've been thinking about my next car. If I leased another Celica, it would be a GT-S without spoiler, moonroof, carbon fiber. These are things that lose their value immediately when you drive off the lot. A GT-S with anti-lock, maybe CD-changer would be cool for me. I really enjoy the speed of the upgraded model!

Insurance: I have a comprehensive package at $1900/year, but I had an accident which raised my premiums, I forget, 10% was it?
    it depends: are you a racer? AND...will you ever have to commute in this thing in stop and go traffic?

If you are a racer, and someone who will never get tired of winding that engine out to its max even when you are going to the store for a loaf of bread, then YES YES YES the GTS is totally worth it over the GT. You can get the 16" rims and lower-profile tires stock too, so if you are not the type to do a lot of aftermarket stuff, this is another advantage for handling, which is razorlike on the GTS, really.

BUT, if you are someone who will have to do a lot of low speed driving in it, then know this: the GTS is even more of a dog at low engine speeds than the GT, because the GT develops its torque at way lower RPMs.

So if you are a stop and go commuter, I would stick to the GT. If you are someone who loves to wring out the engine to its max a lot of the time, you would never be satisified with the GT - then get the GTS. They are both a lot of fun!

very much for all the insight. i'm not a racer at all, just need something to commute and drive around the city with, with a bit of a fun factor..thus a celica. in terms of power set up, it sounds like the GT is more suitable then. the main thing that draws me to the GTS is the availability of 16" rims/lower profile tires, which i think enhances the look of the celica a lot. and your emphasis on GTS handling made it even more tempting.

I'm also trying to decide between manual and auto...want a manual but I am concerned about doing parallel parking on the hilly streets of san francisco, is it something i could get used to or will that always be a pain with a manual?

guitar - i share your sentiment on the spoiler, moon roof, carbon fiber. these things can add substantially to the cost of the car while only adding marginal additional benefits. however i feel the celica looks a bit odd w/o the spoiler, like it's kind of naked, for lack of better word.
  • Funny, I'm torn between 2 things: The spoiler looks really great, it was a perfect beautification addition to the car. Ethically, I am completely against any car maker adding a non-functional spoiler to production cars!

Concerning tires, consider this: GTS 16" tires, 205/50/16, are only offered in summer tires, aka sticky wear-down-quicks! And they're expensive.

Unfortunately, they put 16" tires on most GTS's, just like they try to add all the goodies to these "limited" top model cars. But if I had the choice at this point, I'd consider the 15" tires. For replacements, there would be more options. Check out tire rack to see what is available for each, and you'll see.

Now, if you want a high performance tire, would a 15" be cheaper than the same model in a 16"? Maybe not. That's one of those comparisons to make. Don't know the 15" sizing, but Edmund's or Toyota.com probably has it.

Another idea: Get yourself a GT, and with all the extra money, go buy the best set of tires available. I don't know what other differences there are in the suspensions off hand, but a great set of tires can do a great deal for curvy handling.