Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• just an opinion, the 98 and 99's look much nicer than the new ones, which are as we all know already "chick cars" I dont know about the performance though, thats why I decided against a 98 or 99. That and also, they are hard to find.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    the previous gen (94-99) were quite a bit heavier, and the 2.2L only had 140 hp, which is what the current base car has (also labelled GT).

The current gen corners like a go-kart, the previous ones lumbered a lot more around corners.

And BTW, '99s might be hard to find, but '98s are all over the place - they should not be hard to acquire at all.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• dirtyzdirtyz Posts: 1
    I'm probably much younger than the most of you (17 in late november), and I'm currently looking for a car. My parents bought me a 95 Camry LE, and frankly, it's downright slow. And boring. And an automatic. Well, you get the picture. I'm looking to get a low mile (I'm talking sub 100,000, not 20,000) 94 gt or a 93 gt-s to buy soon. The prices after what I've added on to the Camry vs. a 93 GT-S/94 GT are very close in range, so I shouldn't need to throw in any extra dough. If you have any suggestions as to where to look for a celica this old that hasn't been eaten up by an over-enthusiastic driver or any suggestions regarding my choice of car, please respond. Thanks.
  • bcloughbclough Posts: 97
    Today it rained (after months of dryness), and I discover that my wiper blades chatter and drag as they sweep across the windshield. There must be something simple I can do about this, that has not occurred to me. Ideas?

The other tiny adjustment I want to make on my Celica is with the cylinders that hold the back hatch open. They've gradually wimped out, so that when I open the back hatch it slowly closes -- annoying when you're trying to lift groceries out. Is there something I should do with those two cylinders?

Brenda
  • guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 632
    Is your car under warranty? Have them replaced. My didn't work from the factory, then a replacement was bad. So there's plenty of bad ones out there.
    you are not in warranty, the local parts store has hatch shocks to replace most makes and models, and they won't cost that much either. They are pretty easy to install, but you will need tools.

You might try something like Rain-X for your windshield - that should smooth out the wiper operation. You might also try getting new blades.

dirtyz: you should be able to get a '93 or '94 celica for less than what the '95 camry is worth, unless it has high miles or is in lousy condition. I just saw a '93 GT-S here last weekend going for $3500, with 120K, and it was in nice shape.

• bcloughbclough Posts: 97
    Thanks, everybody -- I will go look for replacements.

Brenda
  • alex18talex18t Posts: 117
    If you wax your windows when you wash your car the wipers work better, well it makes wipers barely necessary. Has to be a thin coat of wax otherwise it will be hard to take off.
    -happy shifting :)
  • has anybody out there recently purchased a Certified Used 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S lately. If so how much have you paid for it. Me and my significant other have been I've been itching to get one since last year, but we didn't have much for jobs, but I've recently gotten a better job and we are more stable now. Any info on the prices, but also including the pros/cons of your personal expreience's would be helpful. Oh and I've also read that the shift gates are pretty close together. Too close for comfort. Is this problem exhagerated by the critic's as much as it really is? Thanks for any replies
    Very Kindly,
    TheWorldIzMyn
    qto this over where you posted it first, but the hype about the 6-spd shifter was just that - hype. It is a great transmissions, the gates are spaced just right for really quick shifting.

• I consider myself a pretty good driver. This transmission took months for me to really get used to. Evidence of this is a few people blowing up their engines by downshifting from 6 to 3, rather than 5. You should take a long test drive with this car before buying, for sure.
  • 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    Downshifting from 6th to 3rd shouldn't be a problem unless you're already rev'd way up there in 6th. I downshift from 6th to 3rd all the time when I'm passing on a small two lane highway. In fact, it's just right! I wouldn't have my tranny any other way. This 6-speed was nothing to get used to, what is hard to get used to is jumping in my CR-V and trying to shift from 5th into 6th - doh! I wish more manufactures would offer 6 speeds, and not just in their high performance cars.
  • pflaupflau Posts: 4
    Very very nice car. Try to get one with leather and ABS (they come as a package). There is no problem with the top - just make sure bird doos dont dry on it and then get baked in the sun.

Mechanically its proven, if nothing else, as the cars pretty much the same for the while decade. got a face lift around 95.

the convertible version is not fast.. and I got a stick shift. I cant imagine driving this thing with an automatic.

engine noise is subdue under 3000rpm. above 3000rpm in fifth gear engine noise is masked by wind noise (its a convertible after all).

roomy for a convertible. but Im only 5-9. good size trunk.

very nice car. love it so much I bought a used one one after I totalled my first one. wouldve bought a new one if it hadnt gone out of production.
    they talked about possibly having a convertible version of the current gen available in a couple of years. Well here it is, a couple of years have gone by, and no further word! ...

I think in general you have to be a meat-head to blow up your tranny with a misshift :)
  • sergeissergeis Posts: 133
    Just replaced the remaining two original DUnlops (rears) with Michelin Pilots in 2000 GT. The Dunlops were noisy to begin with, replaced front ones at 25K, but the rear ones became increasingly noisy after 30K, now I have 35K and noise was so loud that I was afraid driving it (Toyota guys said - it's OK, just normal tire noise). Anyway, now with Pilots it is quiet, below wind noise level.
  • A convertible Celica would cannibalize Solara convertible sales.
    how would they cannabalize each other?

The celica convertible would not be the porky street cruiser of its past, or the Solara's present, but would be a real sport convertible coupe.

• Which is exactly why they don't have a convertible version of the celica with having the MR2 Spyder.
  • After only four months, my new 2002 GTS 6 speed is in the shop with a burned out clutch. An experienced stick driver, I'm still having a hard time not taking this personally. I've never burned out a clutch -- ever. My previous car was a 99 Integra GSR 5-speed. Never a problem. And yet, I'm wondering if it was a faulty clutch from the get go -- of if all of a sudden I've turned into a bad driver.

Anyone else have a clutch go so quickly on the GTS?
    THERE'S a good point!! :-)

Still, if I had my way, they would offer a celica convertible, then change MR2 back to a hard-top, and put the supercharger back in!

• Absolutely. The old Mister 2, especially the turbo was the best handling, best balanced, and most tossable car I've driven that costs less than $100,000. It was a blast. I wish that Toyota would come back with a pure driving/handling/performance packaged car for real enthusiasts. The Celica GTS is great, but I like a bit more oooooommmmmppphhh when I step on the gas. Even if they came out with a GTS TRD model that came with an optional TRD supercharger to give a bit more low end torque would be great. Right now, there's just not anything in the Toyota lineup for those who are looking for a CAR with some real seat of the pants excitement.
  • Mcivor, when they inspect the clutch, they should be able to communicate to you why it went bad, no?
    The car was 4 months old with a toasted clutch? That cant be right, maybe someone smoked it up when it was still on the dealer's lot.
    Also the flywheel might have a defect that wore the clutch away.
    .... hmm, Valet Parking anyone?
    good luck with that.
  • 01r101r1 Posts: 280
    I've noticed that every time I pull my GT-S up on ramps to do the oil change I end up having to "clutch-it" up on there. It smells pretty bad for awhile. Anybody have a better way to do this? I know I could use my floor jack and jack stands, but I guess I like the convenience of the ramps.

Thanks!
  • Just like learning to drive a stick, you have to optimize this procedure. You shouldn't be gassing it enough, or riding it long enough, where the clutch is smelling profusely. Just a matter of practice.

A word of safety: If you're using ramps, you should put a jack stand in place under the car, in case the ramps crush due to the weight of the car. Although the chances are very small, it HAS happened.

I like the idea of using jack stands better than the ramps. I have a set, but they're the large/tall stands, and I'd never get the car up on them. I should go to Summit Racing and get a small set.
  • khaugkhaug Posts: 64
    A friend is looking for a Celica All-Trac Turbo to purchase. If you have or know of such a car for sale, please send me details at: khaug@worldnet.att.net.

Ideally, the car should be in the Great Lakes region, but all responses will be considered.

Thanks.

-Karl
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Our boards are intended for disussing ownership and purchase experiences, not so much for finding a vehicle for sale (directly) here. Also, since unauthorized soliciting is not allowed at Town Hall, we discourage discussion that veers our participants in that direction. Hope you understand. Perhaps let your friend know about Edmunds' Used Vehicle Locator. Good luck, and thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • I have a beautiful '95 Celica convertible. I love the way this car looks in every way -- it's just tremendous. BUT, it's a dog for performance. It's a GT 5-spd, but the 2.2 engine is sluggish compared to my old '87 Prelude 2.0. Whereas the Honda really shined at high revs, the Toyota seems to level off at about 4500 or 5000 rpms, and there's just not much umph left. Does anyone know of improvements I can make to boost the horsepower? Is there a supercharger available that can be installed? Does a performance exhaust change much or does it already have a pretty good exhaust? It has 112,000 miles, so I wouldn't want to abuse it if supercharging would be hard on it, but I don't know if that's hard on an engine. Any ideas? I almost got rid of it for a newer Prelude, but the Celica is so much better looking than the 'lude!
    check trdusa.com for possible supercharger applications...they make them for several different engines. They also do exhaust and other performance equipment.