Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• DQ1, I am not innately knowledgeable about how the tops of these newer engines work. It has, however, been my understanding that overhead cam engines need periodic tappet adjustments, for which the customer is expected to pay. I only say that part because it sounds like rather than address the problem, your dealer is trying to avoid free warranty work. But if the engine does not sound like it did when new, I would investigate having this done. I prefer dealers in this case, because I have a biased view that they are best when dealing with these types of tolerances, and know more than anyone what they're doing. In your case I'm not sure. Did you speak to maintenance, or a salesperson? If sales, I'd just waltz over to maintenance and have this discussion with them.

About mileage...I'm trying to remember, but I think I had a tapping at 40k in my Integra. Had the tappets adjusted, and it sounded new again. Remember, although Toyota makes quality engines, these new engines are very sophisticated. Especially if you really push the engine, yea, I would expect periodic adjustments. At 35k it seems reasonable to me. Notwithstanding--I'm not making a long-distance diagnosis, just following up on what you have told us.
  • dq1dq1 Posts: 44
    I've taken it to the dealer and at first they diagnosed it as needing an adjustment. I dropped it off for the scheduled appt. and when I went to pick it up, they told me the famous "this is normal and nothing needs to be done!" Needless to say, I wasn't too happy. I pressed the service manager to tell me how much it would cost if I had to pay for it myself and he finally told me $800 because these engines use a system of shims that I guess is difficult to work with (this is in stark contrast to my wife's Civic which costs $80 for a valve adjusment because it uses set screws and is very easy to adjust). I have now gotten Toyota customer assistance involved and I'll see where that leads. I tend to agree that I think they are trying to avoid costly warranty work. I have to say that I'm not totally impressed with the overall quality of this car. I think the accountants are having a little too much say in how the new Toyota's are being built :) And the kicker is the service manager told me that Toyota pays the dealership far more for warranty work than what the dealership charges customers. I must have been having one of those days where I had that "dumbest person on the face of the Earth" look going on.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    If the car is under warranty, TAKE IT TO THE DEALER. They can't 'empty your wallet' for a warranty item. At only 20 months and 16k miles, you're still covered under the bumper-bumper warranty. Do NOT wait until the 3yr/36k miles warranty is up.

Also, are you driving a GT or GTS? If you have a GT, your dealer will tell you to NOT put premium in the car; even though premium is 'better', the GT is designed for regular. Use what it is designed for. If you are driving a GTS then yes, you need to use premium.
  • I have a 2000 Celica GT, and I was thinking about replacing the factory standard antenna with the Honda S2000 antenna. I have heard of many 7th Gen Celica owners making the change because it makes the car look a lot better. But I also have read that the S2000 antenna doesn't screw on all the way and leaves a gap which causes for poor radio reception. Since the S2000 antenna only costs about $25.00 from the dealership and it should be pretty easy to change, I was thinking of giving it a try. If any one on here who has made the change or has known anyone who has, please let me know how it works. Thanks!
  • Marylax, are you talking about a standard mast antenna? I would investigate a $40 electric antenna from a retail store. The hardest part is finding power, especially, trying to get the antenna to go up/down with the radio power. If you or you know someone who has done any sort of install, this could be a good option.
  • Yes, I am talking about the standard mast antenna. I have heard that the elecrtic ones tend to break, so that was why I was thinking about the S2000 because it isn't operated by power. Do you think that it isn't a good idea to do the switch?
  • wscc1wscc1 Posts: 21
    Has anyone tried to find replacement wiper refills for the driver side of the new Celica (2000 up)?
    It is 26 inches (or more likely 650 mm) long and the narrow width. I have readily found refills for the passenger side and rear wipers, but no one seems to make anything longer than 24 inches.
    Am I stuck with going to Toyota for these?
  • Marylax, that switch is cool by me. I just thought of this option to give you while you are still thinking about it :)
    Wscc1, I use Bosch wiper replacements all around and they fit perfect. I can't remember the exact size of the driver's side, but the clearance between it and the passenger wiper is tight and I've never had a problem with the Bosch's. Whatever you do, don't wait to replace them. I've found that the windshield glass on the Celica scratches much easier than any other car I've had.
  • sergeissergeis Posts: 134
    This large driver-side wiper is a rare thing - I bought it from special auto store (Walmarts don't have right size), and it was about $16, even salesman was surprized...
  • Easiest change in the world; and actually I've never heard of anyone having reception problems after changing antennae.

(I've had mine for about 2 years)

In fact, for me ths s2000 is sorta better. My old one used to gradually wobble loose over time so I'd have to retighten it.
  • Thanks for the info gambit. I am defiantly going to make the change on it once the weather gets better. I can't stand the way that the one that is on there now looks!
    just change the mast, or did you have to change to base unit that goes through the metal too?
  • I just changed the mast (i guess). Just unscrewed the old and screwed on the new. If you go to a celica site like newcelica.org or teamcelica.com , you'll see a bazillion pics of celicas with the s2k antenna.

Not sure how the 2003 celica owners would go about this with the retractable antenna.

(I am not REMOTELY technical, so if I can do a given "mod," then anyone can)
    Thanks dq1 and Sergeis. I was looking for the just the inserts - not the entire blade.
    ANCO makes a perfect insert (16 inches) for the passenger side and rear (19 inches) but nothing longer than 24 inches. I did try looking at the BOSCHUSA web site and went
    through their part finder only to get some message like "NO PARTS FOR THIS CAR".
    I guess the only source is Toyota.
    the dealer, you might want to try Autozone or Discount Auto Parts and look for the Bosch replacement. You will have to replace the whole blade, not just the insert, but believe it or not, it's easier to replace the whole blade than it is to do just the insert (I've had the cuts to prove it). Also, I've found that the Bosch blades last longer and they are an exact fit to the wiper arm. They don't "wiggle" around when they are operating. Happy hunting!
    the S2000 antenna and installed it yesterday. There is a small gap due to the way Toyota designed the base, but the connection is solid and I think it looks a whole lot better than the stock "lightning rod"! There is absolutely no difference in my reception. Hope this helps.
  • Where did you buy your antenna from? From a Honda dealer or online?

Also, thanks for the info!
  • You can check at your local Honda dealer. It should cost around 14/15 $.

If they are trying to charge you more, buy online.

Part number is 632621.

http://www.hparts.com/cgi-bin/bcimports/623621
     or http://www.handaaccessories.com/s2000ext.html

(I hope this doesn't count as SPAM. I'm just trying to help another user, not sell junk.)
  • I bought an entire wiper blade at Automart, but it was the wrong size. Cost $20, too. Then I went to the Toyota parts store and bought just the rubber insert for $3.00. My husband installed it in ten minutes.

Brenda
    I just happen to have the invoice right here on my desk. The part no. is 623621. I think Gambit transposed the 2nd and 3rd digits. Anyway, I just went down to my local Honda dealer because they had them in stock. The cost was $23.10 + tax. Like Gambit said, you might be able to find it cheaper on the web.
  • My fault! You're right, dg, I scrambled the two digits.
  • xlra8xlra8 Posts: 2
    believe it or not, the best deal on wiper blades is at your local toyota dealer. i got all three refills for $12 and they were easy to install. just follow the instructions. the only sad part was they had to order them and i had come back in 3 days. but best of all they are OEM toyota quality which goes a long way with me.
    Thanks for all the information on the wiper blades/inserts. The aftermarket blades are never as
    good as the OEM (they usually tend to spin when you lift them away from the glass). Also, it seem such a waste to replace the entire blade when you only need the rubber. The aftermarket inserts are great in that they don't use the typical Japanese insert with the steel "blades", which is near impossible to keep the rubber and the two steel "blades" together as you slide the assembly through the hooks. The cost is comparable - usually about $5 to $6 for a set of two inserts versus the (as stated) $3 for one OEM.
  • I just replaced my driver blade too (thanks to the helpful info here); the blade inserts from Toyota actually come with a little plastic clip which attaches to the insert to hold the metal blades in place. After you finish assembling the blade, you remove the plastic clip.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    Just replaced all 3 windshield wipers. It was a pain (91 GT). However, the dealer did it free.

I have owned two other Celicas in the past, a 78 and a 79. The 91 is leaps and bounds over those cars in most categories execpt for the fun of having rear wheel drive (powerslides).

You can tell the Camry chassis is there as well as the seats.

However; in performance, its no Corolla GT-S or a modern day Corolla GT-S (00-present Celica).
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Has anyone put the TRD quick shifter in an '01 Celica GT? If so, what do you think of this mod and how much shorter are the throws?

I'm thinking that if just the leather shift knob online goes for about $70, for an extra $80, getting the shifter and knob together isn't such a bad deal. One of my only comfort complaints on the GT is that it didn't come with the leather wrapped steering wheel or shift knob :( Getting just the leather wrapped steering wheel from the dealer is $580. What a rip off.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    The new Celica is really a Corolla. Toyota decided to keep the Celica moniker which I am glad they did.
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    Are you saying that the current celica shares the same chassis as the current corolla?

If so, I'm not sure if that's true. I know that the Matrix/Vibe share the same chassis as the new corolla, and that the Matrix/Vibe also share an engine with the celica. But as far as I know the current corolla and celica don't really share any major components.