Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    The RSX will have a lot of the same bad-weather handling characteristics of the celica since the general design philosophy is so similar.

The Mazda3 is a sweet little car. I'm surprised the Impreza is not on your shopping list. They're all great cars, and whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll love it and enjoy it. Good luck.
  • Oops, I just looked at my post, and yes, I did forget to put the WRX on the list. I think that my mind is pretty much made up though. The other night, we just got roughly 3 inches of snow dumped on us within an hr or so, I had an absolutely nightmarish time driving through that muck. Probably going to go with the WRX, since it's the only one on my list with AWD.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 633
    Speaking of nightmarish drives: The Celicas ABS prevents stopping at all on slick surfaces. It just keeps going, and going...I have my hand on the hand brake whenever dubious conditions are at hand!
  • I am thinking of trading my 2000 GTS 6SP for a 2003 Mustang GT. Am I nuts?
    Realize you'll be tossing reliability out the window, and hopefully you won't own the car long enough to allow the squeaks and rattles to drive you insane. You'll have a great drivetrain, and nice looking car with fat wheels.

The bottom line: If it makes you happy, drive it.
  • A lot of people have complained about the Celica squeaks and rattles but I have not noticed any on mine. I realize the Ford is not as reliable as the Toyota. The paint quality on my car is poor - the hood has chips all over it. I dont even drive it in the winter. I does fit like a glove however.

I test drove the Mustang today and it is defintely not as tight as the Celica. The instruments look dated as well. I really didnt test the stereo. The Mustang feels more like a mans car. I still get people commenting that the Celica is a chick car.
    Ironically I am a celica driver who found myself with a mustang rental car this week.

I'd definitely have to fault the mustang with a somewhat inferior design. Just the little details that Ford seemed to miss.

It took me about 20 minutes today to figure out how to turn off the interior dome light. The switch that controls the different settings (off, on, depends on door) is not on the light itself. So I figured it was on the light "knob" but pulling it, turning it, etc. seemed to achieve nothing besides dimming the console, flashing the headlights etc. etc. Finally it turned out that the passenger door was slightly ajar. So why wasn't there any sort of door-ajar indicator? Turns out there is, but it's just a slight noise that sounds once as the car is turned on. (I don't recall ever opening the passenger door) The car manual didn't help at all.

And for some odd reason, something is really messed up with the pedal placement. I am constantly getting my foot stuck on "something" down there everytime I try to place my foot on the accelerator or remove it. It's like an odd bulge in the carpeting. I drive all sorts of cars (including other Fords) and never had this issue before.

At any rate, I think it's fairly obvious what the GT has to offer over the celica. If that is the design philosphy you want, then go for it. Especially if you don't like the styling of the new mustang coming up (I don't).
  • Folks, I didn't see a response to my one post.

Has anyone put a plug and play Satellite radio in their manual Celica? How about automatics? If so, where?!!?
  • Does anyone here know when the last year of the Celica will be made 2004 or 2005? Thanks
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    projected to be '05 as things stand now, but who knows? Toyota may yet decide to make a new one for '06.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I think the Celica is done after this body style in 2005. I am thinking about getting one before they bow out. The Celicas just like the Supra out price themselves in the small sport car market.
  • machaanmachaan Posts: 30
    I am finding it hard to locate a 5-speed Celica with ABS. How long does it take if I order one from Japan. I am in FL. How is the pricing effected when I buy off the lot vs build-to-order?
    timelines can be very unpredictable with Toyota, and it is often hard to find a dealer willing to take a special order.

Yeah, celica is kind of overpriced considering that its segment has burgeoned with lots of excellent competition in the last few years. I can think of four or five better-equipped, higher-powered sport hatches that cost less than celica now. The Supra story was a little different: there you had a shrinking segment no-one could sell a car in any more, and then on top you had Toyota trying to sell an almost-supercar for top dollar.

• dmrasdmras Posts: 4
    The chrome trim piece above the Celica color keyed name plate over the license plate is starting to bubble and peel. Below the spoiler. It appears to be a matted finish paint over chrome. Now shiny chrome is emerging.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks....
  • I have a 1992 Celica GT and had my oil changed at (Yes, Wal-mart). Everything was fine after the first change, but this last time, I got about 2 blocks away from the store and I noticed an excess of smoke rolling out from the hood. I thought they must of spilled some and it was just burning off, but it turned out not to be the case.
    After returning it twice, they told me that the oil filter adapter was leaking and assured me it wasn't from anything they did (of course). My question is, could it just of went bad, or could something they did of caused it? I never even hear of an oil filter adapter before. It's mounted to the engine and the filter is directly above it. Can anyone offer advice other than don't take it to Wal-mart for an oil change??? Is it fairly simple to repair? Thanks in advance.
  • sev6sev6 Posts: 26
    Dont' know. Anyway no one cares about the Celica anymore. The last post was a while ago. So...is there no more Celica after 05? Anybody have any hard facts? Thanks.
    looks that way, too bad Toyota never says anything for sure until they actually do it. But they have hinted it, and I think the Scion tC is supposed to replace it in the "Toyota family". More standard power and features for less money.

Itsmejerri, I would stop in Toyota, and have them peak at it, and ask for their advice. The oil filter adapter is the piece that the oil filter screws onto. If that is leaking where it mounts to the engine, then you can get an estimate for the repair. If this is the case, and it started after an oil change, I can only GUESS that perhaps they screwed the filter on so tight with a wrench, that they loosened the adapter, which may have decayed from age and/or rust, etc. Again, a competant person needs to look at it, and give an opinion, as we can only guess.

The dumb thing TOO many mechanics do is they screw the oil filter on too tight. It should be HAND TIGHT only, as it does tighten up further once it heats up. Just an aside, which may/may not have happened in your case.

Funny I'm reading your story, as a mechanic just left my mom's oil fill cap off, and she nearly suffocated with the oil fumes perpetrating the car. Screwing it back on solved the problem.

Let us know how it goes!
  • zelda6zelda6 Posts: 3
    Help! I have a 2001 Toyota Celica GT. I love it, but recently have noticed water in my trunk. It doesn't seem to be coming in from the top. Water accumulates in the wheel well. I don't always see it right after a rain storm. Anybody have same problem? I would appreciate any advice you all can offer.
    a clasic "old hatchback" problem, although I wouldn't expect you to have it on a four year old car. It is either the weatherstripping around the rear hatch or the taillight seals, even if both look intact. At least, odds are 99% it is one of those two, as long as you haven't been in a rear end accident of any kind.

I have pretty cheapo aftermarket taillights on my 2000 GT-S. Moisture clearly gets into the taillight housing itself. But I've never had this problem of water ending up in the trunk itself.

Have you taken it into a dealership or is your car way past the warranty?
  • zelda6zelda6 Posts: 3
    Thanks so much Nippononly and Gambit293 for the info. I'm going to take it to the Dealer. At least I can sound some what intelligent(even if I'm not) LOL. Thanks to you.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Posts: 350
    Toyota Celica and MR2 to be cancelled after 2005 model year.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- =20040716

This saddens me deeply, and gives me yet another reason to dislike Scion...
    Booooo! Hisssss! I knew this was coming though. I've already ranted about Toyota's decisions on this and other boards so I won't go into it anymore now.
    makes the Celica one of the longest-lived of any of the Toyota models here in the States. It is truly a shame that Toyota just could not make this formula work any more to sell cars.

I think part of the problem is that the least decade or so of Celicas have been overpriced relative to the rest of the market, which is another way of saying that fiercer and fiercer competition has just driven the Celica out, I guess.

And yet this has not happened to another of Toyota's really long-lived models, the Corolla, which continue to hit new sales highs generation after generation. The press release from Toyota implies that sport coupes have become too fickle a segment to be able to make long-lasting success in, so I guess maybe the short-term, frequent-change theme at Scion will suit them better in this segment.

Having said that, I will add that the tC is a true porker, and to call it a worthy replacement for Celica is to miss the true nature of Celica.

• krzysskrzyss Posts: 845
    "missing the true nature of any sports car" is the true reason why Toyota abandons this segment completely.
    Long live Toyota - the king of "from A to B"
  • machaanmachaan Posts: 30
    or else I would have been driving a Celica today.

Kind of sad that mr2 is going away too.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I'd venture to say that the Celica will return some day. Will it still be sold in Japan since they won't have the tC? The Celica may live on, just not on our shores. Who knows, maybe Canada will still have the Celica since they don't they don't even have Scion. I'm surprised Toyota can't/won't focus the Celica's character and differentiate it from sporty econo-lux tC.
  • Unfortunately, us Canadians lose the Celica after 2005 as well.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/040720-3.htm
    it is perfectly true that Toyota has announced that Celica will live on in Europe as well as the home market "for an indefinite period of time".

So maybe one day, it will come back to the States...