Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 632
    Hi Mary,

I don't know the cost and that may sway my opinion. (I have 20k on my 2000GTS.) I DO prefer to have my car serviced at Toyota if possible, as I think they tend to know the cars better than local mechanics. Sometimes these services are outrageously priced. And I just might pick and choose the services I want. I go elsewhere for oil changes, filters, tire balance, rotations, etc. If they do tappet adjustments at 30k, I think that may be important, and good for the dealer to do. The fluid checks/topoffs are typically moneymakers. Check your own fluids at $0 cost. Unless one checks periodically, one won't know if there is a brake/steering/other leak, right?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    if you need to have something covered later under warranty, they will not be able to challenge your claim if a Toyota dealer has done all the regular maintenance.

Toyota will charge you $400-500 for this service, depending on the area you live in. It is a lot - an independent will do all the same stuff for 1/3 less $$.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I got my first car, a bright red 2000 Toyota Celica GT, about almost a year ago and I absolutely love it. I have had absolutely no problems with it other than the not-so-roomy backseat that passengers seem to hate and a few minor problems caused by myself. The backseat thing doesn't matter to me of course being as I never have to squeeze into it and I have managed to carry 7 passengers even though my car had to look like one of the clown cars at the circus. Mileage is good, it is definitely a car that turns heads... It's been called flashy, hot, and even sexy, I must say I'm jealous of my car. Haha but seriously if any of you are considering getting this car I would definitely recommend it. It's sound system is spectacular even without bumps or anything and the general quality is above and beyond standards.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for your notes. We look forward to hearing more about your Toyota Celica experience. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 632
    I recently added a Sirius Satellite Radio to my 2000 GTS. Best upgrade one could ever have. Admittedly, I was a sales rep. for Sirius, and did get the hardware for free. But I absolutely love it, and probably won't live without it again. The only problem is I'm leasing the car, and won't keep it. Angh, it will probably just take 10 minutes to remove the Satellite stuff.

So far, I rest the tuner control in front of or behind the stick shift. I would like it on the dash so I can readily see the channel information, but I have yet to decide if I really want to mount it. That's a BIG problem because I constantly hear great songs I've never heard before and need to read the tuner. My favorites are the classic rock, 60's, 70's, and 80's stations.
  • marylaxmarylax Posts: 12
    Well I ended up getting the 30K mile service on my car. I figured it was a good idea because if anything went wrong in the future with the car I want to make sure that they cover it. The most important thing that I got done was the transmission fluid flush (I have an automatic trans). They even replaced my wipers for me! Though the whole thing cost me about $330, I think that it will be worth it in the long run.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    because it was not within our Town Hall guidelines. To those concerned: Please check your email for an explanation. Thanks!

And now, back to the subject of Toyota Celica. Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host/Hatchback & Wagons
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    I'm interested in a 1998 Celica GT hatch with almost 80K miles. It has leather and a sunroof. Can anyone please give me some insight as to how well these things are built and what problems a model with this age might have? I currently own a loaded 1996 Corolla DX and am a strong believer in Toyota and Honda products. I was originally looking for a similar Celica when I bought the Corolla in January 2002. The trade up would cost several thousand and I'm not sure whether the insurance jump will be significant as I am teen. This Celica may not have much power, but I'm sure the insurance will be higher than an econocar with the same power. Thanks! Overall, a worthy trade?
    that is the engine that had the sludge TSB, so you may want to have it specially checked out, maybe at a Toyota dealer. It is covered under warranty though.

Apart from that, I am sure the insurance jump WILL be significant, but this car is fun to drive, from my own experience. Worth the extra money over a corolla.

• i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Posts: 350
    He lives in Kentucky, I'm sure the insurance increase won't be as sharp like it would be in New York (esp NYC) or California (esp LA/SF/SD/etc.).

Geography plays an important part with insurance rates.
    Wouldn't the warrantly have run out by now? I was fearing it was a sludge engine, but our 1999 Solara V6 which has a sludge engine, has gone 150,000 trouble-free miles.

Who would be best to check for sludge issues with this engine?

Thanks for any and all advice!
    I called the dealer concerning the car today. Wow! Even the power antenna works and that's a rarity on these Toyotas! The car also has ABS but the dealer doesn't have the keyless remote for the car, if it does indeed have it. It should, since the car is practically loaded with leather and moonroof and with what look to be premium wheels.

My only concern now is the keyless entry. I know those can be had on Ebay, but would the specific system on this car (if already installed) limit the fobs to those older styles with the soft, rubbery buttons as opposed to the current, more compact better ones? My 1996 Corolla has the old style which I REALLY hate because the batteries drain quickly and the same button locks and unlocks the car. Any insight on this is much appreciated!
    this car would be covered out to 100K miles or 2006, under the special extended warranty Toyota provides for cars affected by the sludge issue. That warranty is just for engine damage related to sludging.

As for keyless, by '98 Toyota was using the remotes with separate buttons for locking and unlocking. If they can't find the remote at the dealer, I am sure you could order a new one, although it would be pricey. Or you could have a new alarm installed and bypass the existing keyless altogether.

• zombozombo Posts: 89
    I would think long and hard before buying a celica of this particular vintage. I had a 92 GTS and loved it at first,it looked great had a super stereo[system 10],leather interior,and all the bells and whistles.But after about 3 months it's extreme lack of get up and go had me bored and looking for another car.Poor gas mi.around 22 average was also a big minus.Toyota basically made the 86-89 celicas[quick and sporty]into a heavy underpowered[except the all-track] 'chick car'and performance and good fuel economy would not return til 2000.I remember seeing a 99 new one going for 25k next to a new 2000 gts for 23k so they were also overpriced when new.Just MHO of course.
    curbed at about 2750 pounds and had about 135/135 hp and torque. These numbers are almost identical to the numbers for the 96-02 non-VTEC integra, which is not generally considered a slow car, I think.

The 90-99 celicas were 300 pounds heavier than their predecessors, without a power increase, which would be noticeable to anyone who had owned an older one. But they were in the ballpark for performance with their peers at the time.

The real genius Toyota injected into the current celica is they went back to the old weight - base GT at 140 hp has a curb weight of just 2425 with a manual.

Now as for price, well, celica has always been a little overpriced, IMO. But OTOH, so are many Toyotas. And the celicas do tend to hang around for a very long time, so in the end they pay you back for your higher initial investment.

I really don't pay much attention to the 0-60 times or torque figures that the car mags tout so much.All I know is when coasting along in 1st when I stepped on the gas in my 86GT -97hsp,118 ft lbs torque it jumped foward,the 92GTS felt like it was accelerating into a strong wind ,like something was holding it back.As far as gas mi.,I knew people with 6 cyls who were getting better mpg. A complete tuneup and diagnostic did not help.When the car mags did their 90s comparos the Integra GSR and turbo Eclipse were always featured,the Celica was left out as it couldn't compete, performance wise.The 90s Celicas were nice cars ,but mediocre perfomance and fuel economy ruined their appeal for me.
    were "lo-po" by today's standards, and the reason they were never compared to the GSR and Eclipse Turbo was because one was rated at 60 hp higher, while the other had a 30 hp advantage.

The couple of years they made all-trac turbo celicas in the 90s, however, they did just fine for themselves in competition with these other brands.

Something that Honda has always known, and Toyota found out or remembered somehow when it reversed celica's course with the year 2000 redo, is that lighter is always better in a sport coupe.

That the value of a 99 celica GT loaded with all opps. in exc cond. goes for 13,770 dealer retail and 10,695 private party value which is a ways off the 25k price 4 years previous.Compared to a new RSX type S at 23,650 it was a poor value then and now.Good thing Toyota saw the light and made it lighter,faster,and much less costly.Otherwise it probably would've gone the way of the Supra.
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    Now that I own a 91 Celica GT, here is my comments. Its a slower car, especially after my last car, an 89 Corolla GT-S. However, it does get 30 mpg and it rides like a Camry. Its a wonderful highway car. It had 151,000 when I bought it last November. Now it has 162,000.

Lets look back in performance and the Celica. The first three generation Celicas all had moderate performance with so-so gas mileage. My first two cars were 78 and 79 models. They averaged 18 mpg with 10.4 0-60 times. The 86-89 generation not only put some performance in the car, but told many police stations around the country to get faster cars to catch them. My 89 Corolla was built in a similar nature. The same generation Celicas also got cool mileage. I have heard some of them breaking 40. The 90-99 Celicas went heavy, but kept a 4 cylinder for insurance reasons. You know that all Celicas and Camrys or Coronas in the past have been the same chassis and engines. The Camry just got the 6 cylinder and the Celica did not. Toyota did the turbo thing, but high prices kept it limited. Its nice to see the Celica become faster again, now that is built off the Corolla class. However, there are compromises. A new Celica is not going to ride like a 99. However, fuel economy is up and of course the same goes for power. The current Celica is now in its fourth year. What will Toyota do next? More torque? Keep it affordable?
    Automobile mag for June, they will keep it basic in the next iteration, which will be here in 18 months. They are going to go "180 degrees" from the current look, which "has not been popular". I am surprised they think that: when the current gen came out it was a huge hit. Just like anything sporty and geared to a younger crowd, it aged quickly and now sales have slowed. But that does not make the design a disaster by any means. They sold way more of this one than the last. (50K+ per year when it was new).

Will remain a 4-cyl, 2-door car.

I personally had an '83 GTS for a long time, and it was plenty fast enough - it was so light. The mileage remark was right on, though. It got about 27 most of the time.