Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

1464748495052»

Comments

• QUCIK and EASY WAY to REPLACE 1ZZ and 2ZZ thermostats

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,072

@peterpan99 said: QUCIK and EASY WAY to REPLACE 1ZZ and 2ZZ thermostats

Thanks for detailing this. Very helpful!

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kumho Ecsta PA31 all-season high performance tire, rated V 500 AAA

I bought a set of 1 SUMITOMO HTR-Z Ultra High Performance Summer. $360 with life-time balance, rotate, repairs etc..

Had about 10K miles with about 2/3 tread left. The front tires had some uneven wear. The tire is fun to drive, but is known for poor wet traction.

I just got in a spin on a rainy freeway off ramp, driving carefully at about 30 MPH. Everything was riding fine, then suddenly the tires lost all traction. The car spinned out, jumped a high curb, dragging the engine bottom on the edge of the curb, hit a wooden post (12 Inch DIA), broke it clear off the concrete base, continue riding on the curb until I was able to steer it off the curb.

Elec Stability Control would probably prevented that spin.

The bumper had a long but shallow vertical dent. The hood was bent just a little. If the car did not hit the wooden post, it may have gone over into a 20-feet ravine, which most likely total the car and cause some injuries.

During the spin, I was trying valiantly to steer the car this way then that way trying to recover the traction with no luck. My quick glances saw no other cars coming from behind so there was no secondary collision. Very lucky I did not get hit from behind.

It scared me now that I used to drive these tires at 80-90 MPH on freeway even during rain. Lucky they were all straight and wide freeways. Any sharp turns or quick lane changes would likely spin the car.

I have seen quite a few sports coups spin out even on straight road in light rain. I used to drive fast passed these shaken people in their expensive sports coups and laugh at them...

So no more Ultra-High Performance Summer tires for me. I was looking into Tirerack and found Kumho Ecsta PA31 rated top over other similar tires. The speed rating is V with tread wear rated 500, which is like 50K miles. I had before Kumho ECSTA with good dry and wet traction, wear long and evenly, but the sidewall is weaker so the turns are mushy. Also the tires were noisy after about 20K miles. But I have to make sure my a$$$ wont get spinned down into a ditch in the rain. So safety first.

$272 per set plus shipping and mounting, probably about $450 total, not a bad deal.

• peterpan99peterpan99 Posts: 65

Celica 2000-2006 Coolant replacement procedure

This is a very critical procedure. If you bungle it, the engine may overheat and crack. Toyota recommends this procedure every 50K miles and performed by authorized dealer only. Unlike older cars, Aluminum block engines must have coolant to fill engine block first, then run engine hot to open thermostat to fill radiator later.

If you have to do it yourself, there is a label under the hood, with instructions and a sketch of the coolant reservoir and hoses to help you do it. Follow it to the T of you may overheat the engine:

1. Replace coolant when engine is cold or you may get burns. Need about 1 and a half gallon of coolant. Use Toyota red LLC diluted in half only with distilled water. Hard water will deposit calcium in coolant lines and eventually block them.

2. Turn cabin heater lever ON. Put transmission in PARK, set BRAKE, chock the rear wheels carefully.

3. Remove the plastic engine bay baffle on passenger side to expose the white grapefruit-sized coolant reservoir on top of the radiator.

4. Open the 2 clamps and remove the 2 half-inch rubber hoses on the right of reservoir.

5. Remove the reservoir by removing the 10 mm bolt on top of it. Raise it about 6 inches and insert it on top of the lower hood hook using a small slot built into the reservoir's bottom . The bottom of the reservoir should now be a level with the top of the head and a few inches higher than the engine block. Remove the reservoir cap and the white plastic butterfly air bleed valve.

6. Get under the car and remove the right most large, black plastic engine cover at the bottom on driver side. Position a pan to collect coolant.

7. Open the 2 x 10 mm nuts holding the thermostat in place behind the alternator. Use an universal joint to get behind the alternator. Pull out the 2-inch black rubber hose with the dome holding the thermostat. Lower the dome down to the bottom of the engine bay to drain coolant from the radiator. Remove and inspect the thermostat with it's gasket for any leaks or damages. Coolant should be draining out of the engine block. Over 90% of the coolant in the car would be drained through this thermostat cavity. No need to open the drain at the bottom of engine block, near the exhaust manifold.

8. I would skip the flushing with chemicals since it's too complicated, time consuming and can leave residue in the cooling system. If needed, flushing should be left to a dealer.

9. When coolant stops draining, close the white butterfly drain plug at the radiator bottom.

10. Start adding about 3.7 liters or 3.5 quarts of coolant into the reservoir up to the FULL line, keep adding as coolant flows into engine block and the reservoir level goes down. Coolant should flow through the bottom hose into the engine block. Inspect the floor, the bottom of radiator and all coolant hoses for leaks. If there are leaks, stop, check for causes carefully and replace any faulty parts before continue.

11. Reinsert the half-inch hoses (2 hoses) on the right of reservoir and secure their clamps.

12. A/C OFF. Start and IDLE engine until COOLING FAN BLOWS FIRST then FAN STOPS. This is when the thermostat was open to let about half liter coolant into into the radiator for cooling. Coolant level in the engine block shuold go down by about half liter or half quart. Watch the ENGINE TEMPERATURE indicator at all time. If OVERHEAT shut down engine immediately and troubleshoot.

13. Add about half liter or half quart coolant to reservoir. The cooling system is supposed to be full with about 1 gallon of coolant, including what's the reservoir. If not then there is a leak or overfilling. Tighten CAP and BLEED VALVE on top of reservoir. DO NOT RUN ENGINE WITH CAP and BLEED VALVE OPEN as the engine will suck air in through the reservoir if it's empty.

14. For about 15 minutes or more, rev the engine INTERMITTENTLY to 3000 RPM FOR 5 sec then IDLE for 5 sec to bleed air bubble out of radiator into the reservoir. Ocasionally open the air bleed valve partially to let the air out (caution: may spray hot coolant). When there is no air bubbles blowing through the reservoir out of the air bleed valve, air is all bled out of cooling system. The air bleeding part is complete.

15. Wait for engine to cool down, check coolant level. Check ONLY WHEN ENGINE IS COOL. Coolant level should be between LOW and FULL or something may be leaking, or there is still AIR BUBBLES in cooling system. Check leaks under engine and on coolant hoses. Add coolant to FULL level if low.

16. Monitor coolant level in the reservoir and add if necessary in the next few trips. You may want to repeat item 13 to 16 to bleed air, or make sure ENGINE TEMPERATURE indicator never goes into HIGH LEVEL and drive the car in the next few days while monitoring and ADDING COOLANT if LOW. Replace the top and bottom engine baffles.

17. Depending on severity of engine temperature and cooling problems, you can drive the car without stressing the engine and watch engine temp, coolant levels and check for leaks on the floor, radiator and coolant hoses. If severe, call a tow truck and head for the dealer.

• guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 636
    edited December 13
    Well everyone, recently turned 100,000 miles on the 2014 (I bought new.)

Took $2,000 in work this year, including drive shafts (corroded), I think every last parking brake part these last two years, including 2 cables this month that cost $340, new brake calipers all around, resonator pipe, and rear sway bars. Never the less, many prior years had little maintenance and this was the highest bill I can recall.

I have driven mostly gently for the life of this car, and as a result, it is still perfectly tight, no noises, no smells, everything works.

One thing I neglected is the exterior. I never wash nor wax it and now my sins are coming to roost. The rear fenders are beginning to rust. The clear coat is coming off in patches all over, the moon roof has rusted and its seal is bulging a bit as a result. The tabs holding the front spoiler, some have broken over the years from hitting curbs (all of you probably have that). I got hit from behind this year and received money from the perpetrator's insurance, but kept the cash. They said it needs a new bumper cover (no external sign of damage, but perhaps inside shows damage.)

I hope and pray for a 2015 with few repairs, and that is just up in the air. I did think if that could happen then it would be reasonable to budget for a repaint. Perhaps a Chinese body kit along with it. (The OEM parts are just so expensive.) My car is red, and I thought, maybe go to a pearlescent white, and coat the spoilers and lower sides in black. I am inspired by the treatment of a 1985 De Tomaso Pantera GT5-S in a large picture I have had since high school. Here I found it:

I should probably searched backwards in this forum. I am interested in general opinions on a repaint. I have a guy (check out his extreme work here:)

http://www.cherrybodiescustom.com/

I have not asked him, so I am making general guesses - $2,000 for fix & touch-up, $5,000 for a repaint including the color change.

I think something should be done. If the rust is repaired, do I just have it painted red and continue on? Or make it look like new again?

The first important question is what will I do with the car? Still do not know. I can see getting a used Luxury SUV like a Lexus RX 350. This would be superior for music gigs (the liftover on the Celica is DANGEROUS to the back.) Also I would like a better seating position as my back is killing me, and the Celica is probably the worst thing I can continue driving. So, I could offer up a re-painted Celica for trade, could sell it outright. I think praying for a good price for a perfect mechanical vehicle that is looking bad will not happen. People buy by how it looks usually.

I have been in "monk mode" as a friend calls it, where one carefully budgets only needs and socks the rest away. The 2008 depression is ingrained in my soul, and also, (for you long term residents here, you may recall) I got downsized a week after buying this car, downsized for the second time in two years. If I recall the lessons of yesteryear, then I merely do the minimum patch up, and drive the Celica forever. My comfort and lack of extra cargo space notwithstanding.

So have fun with it. Thoughts on touchup vs. repaint vs. keep the mechanicals perfect and do no body work?
    guitarzan said:

So have fun with it. Thoughts on touchup vs. repaint vs. keep the mechanicals perfect and do no body work?

If it's your baby, do it right and not just touch up would be my thought

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

PF_Flyer, it is GREAT to see you once again.

No it is not my baby. I have gone from "cars are cool" extremist to thinking more of the car as a utility. I can guess that age does this to people as well as familiarity breeding apathy in me.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,944
    guitarzan....is it really you?
    edited December 19
    HI! You betcha! Was wondering if you were around. I have continued to monitor this one thread, but not others.
    guitarzan said:

PF_Flyer, it is GREAT to see you once again.

No it is not my baby. I have gone from "cars are cool" extremist to thinking more of the car as a utility. I can guess that age does this to people as well as familiarity breeding apathy in me.

Heh... was I invisible for a while??? B)

Age does change our perspectives! Not that I think of a car as a toaster, but for the most part, my vehicle is worth "one vehicle" to me

edited December 21
    No, apparently you have been here the entire time. It was only I who was invisible.

At some point this forum changed and updates to threads are not notifying me. Is there a "follow thread" feature today?
    guitarzan said:

No, apparently you have been here the entire time. It was only I who was invisible.

At some point this forum changed and updates to threads are not notifying me. Is there a "follow thread" feature today?

Next to that little gear at the top of the discussion,, you'll see a little star. Clicking on that will fill in the star and add the discussion to your list of bookmarked discussions. Clicking on the My Bookmarks link will take you to your list of bookmarked discussions and any with new posts will have a "new flag". Clicking on your name will take you to your profile where you can see notifications of posts in discussions you're following. It' all in the little red circles :)

bookm.jpg 166K