Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    that the emissions design changed in '97 or '98, and it is only 2.2's in Celicas from this year on that are affected by the potential sludging issue. Check with the dealer.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• I hope Toyota gets rid of the hidious current design with that huge wing on the back. I would be ashamed to drive such a thing. It is almost as bad as the Subaru. Has anyone seen a picture of the new design? Does it have that idiotic wing?
  • I have a 2000 GTS purchased 11/1999 and my moonroof tint is peeling around the edges. I've asked the dealer about it and they will not cover replacing it because it is out of the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty period. I do not use any abrasives and hand wash my car. I believe it is a manufacture defect that has not been recognized by Toyota yet. I have never had problems with tint on moonroofs with any of my other cars!!! Has anyone been able to get Toyota to fix this?
  • I hear there will be more power but will the price go too high? I have seen some GTS with 27-28 prices.Once you get around that price you approach cars such as the Mazda RX-8 250hp around $28k,Nissan 350zx 287hp starting around $27.5 and the infiniti G35 280 hp around $29k. Not that i believe the build quality of these with the exception of the G35 is as good as the toyota.Still after driving all three of these cars I will expect alot more from the 2005 celica if the price gets closer to these other cars as $30k use to be the price of only highline cars.I remember the supra turbo last generation at $46k,the price is what made it vanish.
  • I have a 94 Celica ST coupe with 224,000 miles on it. Original engine, tranny, etc. The only thing I had to change was the brake caliper bracket because it was in an accident. When it was replaced they used the wrong screw, so it just sheared the threads away. No problem of the cars. Keep driving and enjoy your cars.
  • Are you complaining about the current production celica or some concept design for the 05?

The stock spoiler is not really that conspicuous. Or are you referring to the Action Package spoiler? You are aware that the car can simply be ordered without a spoiler at all, right?
  • I have a silver 2000 GTS with 52,000 miles on it. The engine and oil light came on the other week. We took it to our local Toyota dealer and he said we blew the engine. User error. This car is not abused. To make a long story short. We went through all the steps to get Toyota to honor their 60,000 mile powertrain warranty and are now in the process of an arbitration between ourselves and Toyota. I have looked through all the posts and cannot find any concrete information on the 2000 GTS engine..misshifts, faulty gear shifts...whatever you might want to call it. I would like to be armed when I go into this arbitration stating that this is/was a common occurence with the 2000 GTS's and the problem with misshifting has been covered under warranty. Can anyone help?
  • Hi Brenda,

I can point you to where to find more info, but unfortunately I'm not allowed to post links to other forums. Please e-mail me using the address in my profile.
  • Brenda, over-revving the engine is abuse. However, I did hear that Toyota may have replaced some engines that were damaged from a mis-shift because of the uniqueness of the 6-speed transmission. I wish you luck with your case. Let us know what happens please.
    about the celica going away after '04, huh? They are going to "replace" it with an up-powered JDM Caldina badged here as a Scion. I guess it was in the cards from the moment Toyota conceived of Scion, since Celica's 2000 redesign was especially for the purpose of attracting younger buyers, as is all of Scion.

• Is that confirmed? Or is that just a rumor? The caldina seems to be more of solara-type car than a sport coupe. It's unlike Toyota to not have a defined player in every single niche of the market.
  • Isn't the Caldina more of a Matrix-like vehicle?
    Caldina is a five-door hatch, smaller than Solara, but bigger than Celica, that is for sure. Clearly, it will not be an exact "replacement" for celica! But it is available now with a turbo, and I guess is a decently fast car. I would think they would make it faster for its Scion debut.

The article stated this was an official announcement from Toyota corporate, but I guess there is still time for them to change their minds. The article seemed to imply that Toyota would continue to sell the Celica in the Japanese market.

• I would be suprised that Toyota would take away a name like Celica. It belongs here with Camry, Corolla, and Land Cruiser.
    have been WAAAAY up and down over the years, and celica has never sold as well as integra (to name one close competitor)

in particular, the 90s were low sales years, and after the intial redesign in 2000, sales plummeted once again. Toyota doesn't usually sell such low-volume cars unless they are built here to keep them cheap.

basically, it is finally giving up on celica having a bounce back to 80s sales volumes. It is a shame though, as you say: its lineage is equal to that of corolla and land cruiser (Camry is a latecomer)

• Camry may not have the lineage of those other nameplates, but it does carry a lot of power in the automotive industry. It would be a name you wouldn't see disappear unless Toyota pulls a '96 Taurus.
  • hey, I was a victim of a misshift in my 2000 gt-s 6 speed. My boyfriend (Now X obviously) misshifted very badly. Trying to go to 4th in a race, it slipped back into neutral while going about 75mph or so and he buried the rpm needle into 9 grand for about 2 seconds. I took it to soem toyota techs and so far I've paid 1,275 bucks to have 4 severely bent valves replaced. Two weeks later my check engine light is back on and I'm supposed to go get it fixed again.... the 6 speed celicas are notorious for this problem and Toyota NO LONGER has this problem under warrenty because it is occuring sooooo much. They say it's driver error. Life lesson: Lil boys shouldn't play with womens toys.
    the 6-speeds were notorious for having the gear slip back into neutral, though! :-P

I think the problem before the redesign was shifting down 4 gears by mistake instead of 2.

• yeah, that was the guys fault who was driving it. He's umm.. yeah.

nippononly, is there anyway you could e-mail me or give me your AIM screen name? I'd like to ask you some questions...
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    ...if you want other's to know your email address, mark it public in your profile. Please don't post your email address in the discussions. Thanks!