Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• I too have this same Oil Consumption issue with my daughter's 2000 Toyota Celica GT. I purchased (Private Sale) the vehicle in May 2006 after the mechanic indicated he did not see any major problems. The oil was changed about three weeks after the purchase and six weeks later the check engine light was on due to oil level (required 4 qts of oil). The mechanic verified the oil was burning through the exhaust and the Toyota Dealer ruled out all minor issues that could be causing this. The Dealer indicated the engine would need to be rebuilt / replaced. I find it hard to believe that there is no law to protect you from this type of issue from a private sale since you are unable to know this problem exist until after the 30 day lemon law has expired if your mileage is low for the month; I am sure the prior owner was well aware of this problem but chose not to disclose it. It does not appear that I have any recourse at this point in time due to purchasing the vehicle "As Is".
  • guitarzanguitarzan Posts: 632
    If oil is seeping past the pistons, there should be black smoke coming out the exhaust. I do not understand: With this problem, why is there no indication of the problem except for the missing oil? Your story indicates that 2/3 of a quart every week is burning off. That is significant, especially for an engine with such tight tolerances as a Toyota engine. Yet there is no smell nor smoke coming from the car?

Should we all be worried? I see Teejay & Ann joined the town Hall in Oct/Nov, both with the oil burning, and now Bill is a new member with the same problem. Will we see our Celica engines start dropping like flies soon?????
  • You can see a difference in the color of the exhaust but it is not black as you indicated - The mechanic noticed it immediately. The oil level remains full for the 1st 4 weeks and then suddenly drops off the next 2 weeks at which point it requires 4 qts.
    2000 Toyota Celica GT for sale - Excellent Condition!!

:lemon:
    Oop - thank you. Oil = bluish exhaust. Black may result from a rich mixture or poor combustion. My bad.

Is there any indication of sludge building up in the oil?
  • My daughter wants a Honda Civic EX which she had (friend totaled it) prior to the purchase of this Celica.
    I wish I had noticed that bluish exhaust prior to the sale - Surprised the mechanic who checked the vehicle out did not notice it. Not sure about Sludge build up in the oil. How would you know - What would cause it - What is done to correct it?
    Some of the Toyota engines had sludge buildup. Those engines were NOT in the Celica. I just asked because you said the oil seems to be normal for a while, then goes down. I was trying to figure out what happens as time goes on after an oil change in the car.
  • 2way2way Posts: 2
    Oil consumption issues are known among certain '00-'01 Model Year Celica GTs (not the GT-S). The pistons rings and bore finish were updated on the late '02 MY and newer. This is also an issue for Corollas of those MY's.

I suggest you try using Castrol 5W30 High Mileage Oil (or high mileage oil of your choice) & see if it cuts your consumption (worked like a charm on my daughter's '01 GT).

Also, check out the fine folks at http://www.newcelica.org for other assistance and hints for your Celica.
  • That does seem strange how the Oil Level seems to remain stable for the first 4 weeks and then drop out of sight the next 2 weeks.
  • Thanks for the suggestion - I will try the High Mileage Oil and see what happens - I have been using Valvoline 5W30.
    I checked out the newcelica.org forum and read all of the Celica Oil Consumption messages including yours. I will register at some point in the near future to further discuss this Oil Consumption issue and request feedback on what folks think of the Toyota Highlander.
  • diuneidiunei Posts: 23
    hi I am new here. I haven't have a chance to read through all these posts. So, i am not sure if someone has asked the same thing before.
    but anyway, I have a 2001 GT, auto. every morning when I start the car, the rpm goes up to about 2000 and drops down to about 1000/800 in 8-10 minutes (it has been like this in the last 6 yrs). :sick: Does this happen to anyone by any chance? Does this mean that there is a problem with my car.
    also, if i park the car in cold weather (below 30F) for more than 2 hrs, the starting rpm is normally high, too.
    thanks much for any help. :)
    When the weather is cold, the rpm's on my 2000 GTS climb, descent, climb again. It only does this for a couple minutes as the engine warms up. I always thought this is weird.

In your case, does the car do this when the temperature is reasonable (50-60°F)? If so, I would think that there is a temperature sensor not working correctly. Otherwise, you described how a normal choke mechanism would work to warm the car up in cold weather.
  • eltonroneltonron Posts: 33
    All I can tell you is that I feel your pain. Despite consistent maintenance, I have just shelled out another significant chunk of change for my SECOND engine replacement on my 2000 Celica GT.

For all those who doubt the veracity of some of the statements made regarding the oil consumption issue, I can tell you with certainty that four weeks after a scheduled full oil change/maintenance, the engine had apparently burned through all four quarts without even a drop of leakage.

My understanding is that the new catalytic converter (which I had to replace presumably because the oil burning issue had mucked up the first one) is so efficient that there winds up being being no visible sign of burning oil from the exhaust pipe at all.

So far I have been unable to find anyone at Toyota who will acknowledge this issue with the 2000 GT engines, though I have heard from several mechanics over at Toyota that there was indeed a problem with the 2000 GT engine which has subsequently been resolved in later models.

If anyone knows of a direct contact at Toyota where I can have this issue appropriately addressed I would appreciate receiving whatever information you can give me. I've been a lifelong Toyota owner, but this experience has made me question their historically high standards of quality.

Eltonron
    Host- Automotive News & Views
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • atqatq Posts: 2
    Hi again,name's Atq,am trying to rebuild a 1977 Toyota Celica,the body is ruined,collisioned here and there.. I need to make it back in shape,to its original measurement.. Anyone maybe,have an info for the exect dimension,nuts/body streamed line position?
    Best regards..
    That's incredible that the new catalytic converters can eat up all the oil residue!

Are you the original owner? If so you should make requests of the dealership that sold you the car. Aka, give the dealership every chance to resolve the issues. If not, or if the dealership is of no help, find a 1800 number for Toyota's customer service to place an inquiry with.
  • diuneidiunei Posts: 23
    Thanks guitarzan.
    My rpm drops very steady from 2000-800 over the 8 minutes period without bouncing up and down.
    the rpm during a fine summer morning is about 1500 rpm and settles down to 800 in about 5 minutes.
    so now i just assume that it is not too abnormal for this car.
  • eurofire03eurofire03 Posts: 5
    I have a 97 Toyota Celica and have been working on it for a while now. I need a good speed shop in the Bay Area that can help me get the most performance out of my Celica. If Anyone knows of ANY good shops around please let me know A.S.A.P.

Thanks In Advance,
    ~Bogdan
  • lg07lg07 Posts: 4
    My Celica has been in the shop for months. Fighting the warranty company and Toyota. The motor seized. Dealer states low compression in all cylinders, bent valve, piston damage. Warranty company states that the motor go ran so long that all cylinder walls are brown from heat. Some sludge was found in the corners of the head. I have always maintained my vehicle at regular intervals. I have all of my maintenance receipts. Dealer stated there was very little oil when he checked the dipstick. I have looked into different possibilities, spark advance, detonation, incorrect sensor inputs. The technician never even pulled the timing chain, which could have been a possible cause to the motor damage? Any suggestions as to what might have actually occurred? Thanks!
    Ig07, you really need an expert on this, which is probably a Toyota mechanic. You can always get second opinions from independent mechanics or perhaps your car insurance company could recommend someone.

A lack of oil would explain the seizure of the engine. I have never heard of piston damage resulting from this, but I am no expert on the subject. Perhaps the piston bound to the side of the cylinder...? If so, that force will continue to bend everything connected to it.

Other Toyota engines have had their oil turn to sludge. While Toyota covered some of the repairs, they also said that people were extending their oil changes way too long.

This engine (same as mine) I am pretty sure did not have sludge problems.

If there was no oil and low compressions, was there a significant leak in the heads? That would spew oil all over the engine compartment. You would know where that missing oil went.

Of course, a compression test after a seizure might be an invalid test, as all of the pistons and/or cylinders may be obviously damaged.

I do not know if this is an interference engine, but you do have the signs of a timing chain skipping or breaking on an interference engine.

Did the damage happen during extreme acceleration and/or revving the engine past the redline?
  • lg07lg07 Posts: 4
    guitarzan. Thanks for your reply. I have had the car looked at by the mechanic at Toyota, as well as the inspector from the warranty company. I definitely think I need a second opinion. At this point, I think the warranty company is trying to get out of paying my claim for a new engine. When the car went down, I was traveling on the interstate at a steady speed. It lost power, all the dash lights came on. When I pulled over, I shut the car off. It would not re-start. The mechanic that came and towed my car said he thought it had jumped time. I've been doing some research on the timing chain. I have the interference engine and if something happened, it could have caused the damage. The mechanic has stated that my car overheated and I ran it so long until it quit. WRONG!! Oh, and did I mention that the Toyota dealership that broke down the motor has lost the head? Apparently there was damage to the head, but it's their word against mine. It's been a very frustrating experience. Something is wrong and I hope to put my finger on it. Guess they think I'm just a dumb female.... Thanks!
  • toyyodatoyyoda Posts: 1
    Just bought a 90 Celica GT-S and not sure how to change out the tail light bulb. No owner's manual included and probably would not have covered this anyway. Looks like it might involve some prying, but I don't want to force it to the point of breakage. Does anyone have experience doing this? Thanks