Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 323

Comments

• jdog1979jdog1979 Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 Mazda 323. Same thing happened to me. I replaced the oxygen sensor and the engine coolant temperature sensor and the car runs like new, with 190,000 miles on it. Hope this helps.
  • sschmidsschmid Posts: 28
    92 Mazda 323 gas problem. When I fill it it reads full but after about 1/4 tank used it dpos to empty. I am assuming it is the fuel tank sending unit but I have searched on line and cannot find one. Any ideas?? Is this the part I need and where to find one??
  • basiajbasiaj Posts: 1
    A part of my car key remains in my hatch back door lock. It is Mazda 323. Any suggestion?
  • 13131313 Posts: 2
    Hi All,

I'm trying to buy a manual for my 1989 323. But it seems that both Chilton & Haynes started with the 1990. Are the 1989 models that much different than the 1990+ models?

I own the 1989 Mazda 323 SE 4 Dr Sedan, it has less than 80,000 miles on it so it's barely broken in. :shades:

However, the little things that need replacing are getting harder to find so I may have to try using parts from another year, etc. She's a good little donkey and I want to keep her, and if I can fix everything then she's getting a new paint job too!

Thanks in advance,
  • nhjoenhjoe Posts: 1
    Electronic fuel pump with float is located in the gas tank... Residual dirt / gunk forms after many years, inhibiting the float from functioning properly... Quick fix? Try a pot holed road at a fast speed... only kidding.
    Drain tank... completely... Drop tank, pull fuel pump assy, replace gasket and float device - R&R watch for dirt.
    Good luck ...
    Actually according to the book the Fuel pump can be removed from the top of the tank under the back seat. The sending unit as well is right there. I was thinking sending unit as it works to 3/4th tank and then drops like a rock. Since I can't find even a used sending unit i guess cleaning the float would be worth a try. Thanks Susan
  • Hi All,

I've had this car now for about 3 years and have pretty much gotten the whole 775 dollars out of it that I paid.

Here's the deal;
    About two weeks ago I noticed the battery was leaking and steaming acid pretty bad. 4 or 5 days went by (while still having same problem) I attempted to start my car after work, it wouldn't start. Finally, had it jumped, made it about 1 city block and wham!, no lights!

Figured out the ECU over charged that battery, which in turn over charged the Alternator... Well, I replaced all 3, and still, I have no lights.

No headlights, brake lights, turn signals, dash lights, tail lights, radio.. nothing!

I still have wipers, and heater is working just fine.

Help!!

Thanks so much in advance!
    Tammi :cry: :lemon:
  • hello all,
    I own a 1992 Mazda 323 Hatchback with a 1.6 ltr FI. It's got 172,000kms on the clock (approx. 107,000 miles).
    When I turn left I sometimes hear a thumping from the front passenger side corner. I'm thinking this might be a ball joint or tie rod end but I'm not sure. The car steers fine at low and high speed, doesn't pull in any direction, there's no vibration or wobble or anything like that.
    Is this thumping just my imagination or am I hearing the early stages of a problem? Is there any simple way to check?
    thx,
    baz
    toronto
  • Hey Baz,

If I were you I'd have the CV joints checked. Mine did the same thing when they needed replaced. Now, it's doing it again.. I need the other side replaced. lol

I'm not sure what you'll pay, but, I paid about 275 to have mine done labor included.

Good luck!

Oh, and I finally found out the problem to my question.
    Take care,
    Tammi :shades:
  • Hello,

My son has a 88 Mazda 323 and the front driver's window is stuck. My husband says he can fix it if he had a specs for the door or instructions how to fix it. I'd like to know if someone could scan them and send them to me.

Thanks,
    MySonsCar
    (Karen)
  • this was a long time ago i just saw it so i dont know you may have goten it fixed. My 1991 mazda 323 was doing the same thing i thought it was the ball joints but i had to get the front axel replaced.
  • I bought my 1991 Mazda 323 hatchback 5 speed and put about $275 in it in the flex hose and the front axel it has 122000 miles and is running strong. If there is anybody questiiong wether this is a car to put money into the answer is yes it is worth it.
    Anyone know of a salvage yard that may have a 92 323 in it. I need the driver side (side) black plastic windshield moulding and a fuel guage sending unit. I have been unable to locate these parts. Thanks S. Schmid
  • I have an '88 323, about 150k miles. Started driving home a couple of nights ago, cold and rainy. The wipers started running slowly, the charge light was on dimly. The lights got dimmer and the radio shut itself off. Parked it and got a ride home. Next day, started it up and found the battery only reading 11.5 volts. Pulled the alternator and took it to the shop. They verified it was bad. Bought a rebuilt one and put it on. Started it up and had 13.5 volts at the battery. Drove it about an hour, it got dark and noticed the lights getting dim again. Pulled over and put a meter on the battery, only 10.5 volts with the engine running. Rechecked all connections, everything tight, but no output from the alternator. Next day, pulled it off and took it back to the store where I bought it. They put it on the bench and it worked okay, I witnessed it. Took it back and put it on the car, same thing as before. Continuity checked all wiring, fuses, grounds,everything okay. Put in a known good battery, no change. This can't be this difficult, but obviously I'm missing something. Any ideas out there?
  • i bought a 1990 4 dr done 246000 km's that wasn't running right(was mis-firing). The original owner and I thought it may be a cracked piston or possibly head problems. We took the head off and checked pistons and bore for damage. The bore was in amazing condition for such high km's with no visible cracks. I took the head into a head machining shop. they said the head looked to be in great condition. any ideas of what this may be? anything would be appreciated
  • The mis firing is probably a result of oxygen sesor or crank sensor or most likely you have a piece of crap PCM I had the same problem and scrapped the car because it was too hard to fix could be the Distributor but that i9s unlikely they either work or don't work.
  • I have an 89 and am having the exact same issue. I have replaced the battery and alternator. I have also checked all the wiring that I can see. I was thinking possibly Voltage regulator. If you have had any luck please give me a holler and I will let you know if I find anything.
  • You may have a problem with the leeds. Is it a twin cam?
  • sorry ignore that last post
  • I have exactly the same problem with my automatic 86 Mazda 323 , the mechanic (young) is not sure what to do next Thinks it might be the carby but feels if we get one from the wreckers it might be just as bad. Did you get yours sorted out>