Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments - 2010 Jaguar XJ First Look

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,021
"We're not in the transportation business, we're in the entertainment business," says Jaguar's Managing Director Mike O'Driscoll during the introduction of the 2010 Jaguar XJ at Hedsor House, a 19th century country estate outside London.

2010 Jaguar XJ First Look

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    All sides are great, except the headon Wide Mouth Bass look. :(
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,330
    Actually, I have a little trouble getting my mind around its butt, and those odd tail lights.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• benzrigbenzrig Posts: 7
    I think this is going to be a home-run for Jaguar. Although I do hate to see the old style go but that’s life, evolve or die! It looks like a more refined Quattroporte. Refinement which has always been something Jaguar has that no other vehicle in its price range can offer (I say this as a current owner of an S-Class and a VDP). I just wish the people at TATA would hear me when I say bring back the V-12. They might be able to reclaim some previous owners by giving them their nostalgic German Eater Engine. CHEERS JAG, you have come a long way!
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,330
    I like the way you think. My first impression is that no one is likely to launch a V-12 into this market, but hey you never know. Let's see; they like supercharging anyway, let's be conservative and say they use existing tooling for the 4.2 liter engine. OK, 6.3 liters and 630 horsepower. I can dig it.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• audirs4audirs4 Posts: 13
    Just saw this car in person both in/out

Outside: pretty stunning and thumbs up. I saw the exterior and it could have passed for an Aston Martin Rapide costing 150-200k. The L looks great - but man is this thing huge.

Interior: Lots of stunning detail and very nice.

The killer of this car is the interior space. For how huge this car is, the interior is incredibly small and tight.

Most cars in ther 50-60k range have more room than this. If you're over 6 ft tall, forget about headroom. This car is very hard to get in and out of.

For 85-100k, this car is weird. The interior space is nowhere near where it needs to be to compete with the A8, S classes, and 7 series. Your flagship car needs to have lots of room and space. Mercedes has a CLS, but they also have an S class as well.

Older people have the cash to buy this car. Jag still has an aging demograpic. 60-70 year old people will NOT be able to get into this car and be comfortable. And if you've got a few extra pounds and don't look like a fashion model - you're going to be very very tight in this car.

This car is stunning as a show car and will cater to some. I think Jag doesn't care about selling a lot and it will be a halo car. Once you look at this car and the $$, lots of people will end up buying the XF. It's far more practical and a better overall value than this thing.

I've never seen a car so HUGE that looks like a land yacht and has such poor usuable space for passengers and luggage. A lot of it is a big waste.

Back to the interior. It looks gorgerous. But too much cheesy chrome trim is a bit overkill and it lessens the class of this car in this price.
  • mclandmcland Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Had a chance to see it in person. Stunning, both inside and outside. Front brings to mind a Maserati, though only to some extent, rear lights are unique, which we cannot say about the German cars' rear end. Pictures do not do XJ justice. You must see this car in person. Fit and finish inside is better than the current model.

There was a comment that most people will end up buying the XF. One cannot compare the new XJ to XF as those two cars are in two different categories. If you park current XF next to the new XJ, XF looks a much cheaper car. Nothing wrong with XF, this is the XJ that stands out above. XF is a car you drive to work. You take XJ to a function.

Somebody commented that the XJ's inside is smaller than German and Japanese comparables, which is generally a correct statement, but the car is not small inside, it is larger than the CLS. Larger folks may prefer larger interiors, which is understandable.

Jaguar, in my opinion, is about a specific type of experience and the new model delivers in abundance. As the prior XJ, the new 2011 XJ stands out from the rest and this is what matters the most to many XJ owners, including myself. Before I got my current XJ, I test drove LS, 750 and S-Class. None of them made me feel the way XJ did. I don't think most XJ buyers look for the same qualities that typically can be found in other cars in this class. This is not about being a snob, but rather about a personal preference.

German cars are probably better engineered, Lexus is probably more reliable, but a choice of a Jaguar over others is about the emotion you feel every time you drive this car, a deeply personal decision which does not require an explanation or a justification.
  • The new XJ is stunning. I've planted my behind in every seat in both standard and long versions. The car is a tour de force in styling, and comfort - at least while at rest. I agree that the standard version lacks sufficient passenger room, especially for a flagship offering. Of course, this is more then resolved with the long version which Jag expects to be it's top seller. Also, this is not intended to be a niche market for Jag. They are projecting sales of 25,000 units of the XJ which is about 10 times last years XJ sales. In my view, the XJ is positioned to make a big splash in the saloon category. A long list of standard equipment and amenities, that should make MB and BMW feel ashamed with their "air in the tires will be an expensive upcharge" pricing schedule. At any rate, the S and the 7 are both institutions and will continue to lead this segment, I predict the XJ will carve away from both, as well as usurp some of the CLS market since with options you're in spitting distance of the XJ.

You've got to see this car in person. The lines are great, the boot, with tail lights are nifty. The XF tail light scandal has finally been resolved, and the other commenters who have likened this to the Aston and Maserati 4 doors are not off base. I currently drive an XF now, and can attest to it's traffic stopping effects. I expect the XJ will continue in this tradition.

The interior finishes are industry leading. Audio bluetooth streaming, massaging heated and cooled front seats, contrast colored piped seats, and virtual instruments all make this car a real stand out.

Save your pennies boys, this one's a keeper. I'll be upgrading to the XJL as soon as my meter on the XF expires. Happy motoring!!!