Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia Window Problems

Comments

• sgoodsonsgoodson Posts: 10
    edited October 2011
    Well, you now know that your ECU is working and not burned out because the wiper and defrost start working again after a reset. You said that after the ECU reset when pushing the rear window down button, you can hear the ECU unit "click" and everything stops working. Are you sure that the front and rear portion of the brake are removed in addition to the two bolts and spring? If they really have been removed for sure, the window may have been wedged too tight and locked into position. Have you tried to manually lower the widow glass according to the instruction bulletin? I checked mine before closing everything back up just to make sure it moved freely. You can see how to do this on Number 11 of the Technical Bulletin. You may also want to check to make sure there is nothing that fell down between the two gears causing a wedged obstruction. If none of the above works, your problem could be that the power window regulator is bad and maybe even the motor. The Technical Bulletin Number 12 shows how to remove. You could try replacing one at a time until you find the problem. The parts can be found using Google search. Be patient. Hope this helps. Technical Bulletin PDF
  • IT WORKED! Thank you so much for the extra hint! I opened it all back up and followed Number 11A of the Tech Bulletin. The window was jammed. Because of the jam it was not easy getting the regulator bolts out of their holes. There was a lot of tension pulling it down. Once I got the regulator free from the door frame, I then had to power the window down. This gave me room to put the regulator back in place without the tension. Everything is put back together and working great! Again... thanks! :D
  • I have had the same problem but only with the rear window not rolling down. I can push the button or use the key and hear the motor but nothing happens. Can't wait to try your instructions this weekend and see if I can get it working. Thank you for your post. Other than that, I love my car and will drive it til it dies....
  • Ok, I read where several of you have said you reset the ECU. I can't find the post on how to do it. Help.
    Thanks
    Bob
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,916
    Dead link?

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Sorry about the bad link.
    I did some maintenance on my server and inadvertently deleted the files.

Here is the new link:
    http://www.piranamedia.com/_ToyotaRearWindowRepair/

Steve
    Thanks! (Had someone emailing looking for help on that).

• Thank you so much! I don't care about the window but the rear defrost and wiper bothered me - it worked. That was so easy - had to try a few times - up then down then up again but the defrost and the wiper and wiper fluid all work now. THANK YOU!!!
  • wow6wow6 Posts: 1
    Hey thank you also so much!!!! I've had this rear window problem for over a year and the dealer told me it would cost over $550.00 to fix. I was just surfing the web to find the cost of replacement parts when I came across this discussion. Read the info and when out side and BANG' my ECU was reset. Why did the dealer not do this??? I'm calling them in the morning. The window still is not moving but I will work on that next weekend. With spring rains around the corner I am happy to have the defroster and wiper working again. Keep up the GREAT WORK and THANKS AGAIN.
  • dprimrosedprimrose Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    03'sequoia front right door glass broke, upon replacing the glass the window regulator is eratic.
    The typical reset/timming of holding the switch up & down a few seconds dose not recalibrate its motion.
    Any body know whats up.
  • Hi Steve
    You should feel very good about how many people you've helped on this problem. After reading through the 5 pages it seems the link goes bad over time can you help me out with the link and reset it so I can also fix my
    2005 sequoia?

Thanks
    Terry
  • Is there a chance this information is still available. Can't seem to work the link you have provided. I of course have the same problem with my 2005 Sequoia. Thanks
  • bobn5bobn5 Posts: 2
    Steve, Thanks for all your information. I also have this problem on my '05 Sequoia, I was able to reset the ECM. I am now going to try to remove the defective Brake part, but i have a question before i begin.

In the technical bulletin #9, it says to "Remove the multiplex network door ECU. Using a drill 3.2 mm (0.126 in.) or shorter, drill out the two (2) rivet heads". Then next in #10 it says to "Install the replacement multiplex network door ECU and rivets".

Do I need a new multiplex network door ECU or just use the existing one and rivet it back on?

Please let me know.
    The "multiplex network door ECU" discussed in item #9 of the technical bulletin is referring to the black square box (about 4" x 5") mounted to the black metal faceplate covering all the mechanics of the window & motor. This black electronic box (the ECU module) is mounted to the black steel plate using two silver metal straps. Each side of the strap has a rivet. Just drill out the rivet head on each side and the ECU module will be loose except for the wire harness. Unplug the wire harness and set the unit aside. Remove the black metal plate door, then remove the defective brake unit. To reinstall the ECU module box, I used two sheet metal screws with a lock washer on each. You may need to drill the hole bigger to accommodate the screw site you have on hand. Here is a photo which may help: http://www.piranamedia.com/_ToyotaRearWindowRepair/index_Page354.htm
  • bobn5bobn5 Posts: 2
    Thanks Steve, I was hoping you would say that. Will let you know the results so even more people can find out about your no cost solution that Toyota should NOT be hiding.
  • Steve, Thank you so much! My rear wiper and defrost work again!!
  • toyo4toyo4 Posts: 5
    I had a problem with my Rear Defrost/Wiper not working, but the window was operating properly.

This is what I did:

1. Checked Fuses - all o.k.

2. Tried Resetting ECU - did not fix problem

3. Removed and replaced wire harness going in to ECU - Defrost and Wiper started working fine

I did not have to touch the Rear Window Limit Switch or any bolts. I believe that when the panel was removed a month ago to fix the broken handle on the rear hatch door, that the wiring harness was not pushed all the way into the ECU and therefore no contact was being made.
  • I just wanted to let you know that I too have been having the exact same problem for the better part of a year... I have been reading post after post with all the same resolutions which is to remove the brake... After getting the back opened up and looking at the assembly, I too realized that the brake had either been removed or an entirely new assembly had been installed. So, before reading this gentleman's problem with the 06 model (which mirror imaged my own, down to the reset of the ECU and only the defrost and wiper/washer working but not the window), I already put everything back in its place and closed it up, came back out to the front porch to regroup, then pulled up your thread here... To no surprise I smacked my forehead and went RIGHT BACK to the sequoia and opened her back up! Sure enough, had the exact same difficulty removing the regulator assembly due to the jamming, but was able to get the window fully operational again! Anyway, to bring this novel to an end... THANK YOU for all you do! It may not seem like a big deal to you, but it's due to extremely patient and understanding people such as yourself who take a few minutes out of your day to reply to peoples issues, that save people like us (paycheck to paycheck) HUNDREDS and even THOUSANDS of dollars in needless service department visits. So, thanks again! And I will definitely be coming here from now on!
  • Here's a puzzle...I have a 2005 Toyota Sequoia. Fixed back latch one day without a problem, but afterwards the back window was working, the "auto" up/down feature was not working, defrost was not working, rear wiper was not working, rear washer fluid was not working, and rear window down feature on key fob was not working.

After taking back apart again to triple inspect and check every single fuse, I read several posts here and tried holding the window in the "up" position to reset the ECU. Now, rear window doesn't work at all, rear wiper still doesn't work, the defroster does work, and the rear washer fluid does work ! Any ideas??
  • ...also, the Traction Control "off" button is no longer working following the ECU reset step...
  • jrs13jrs13 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem where the rear window will not come down. I can hear a click from the ECU (black box). I have already replaced the handle, and today I replaced the rear latch and actuator because the tailgate wouldn't open. The rear defroster light comes on, and the rear wiper works as well as the rear washer. Only the window won't come down. Each time I took the window regulator out (to access the locking mechanism and such) I had a hard time getting the bolts in or out, so I think it may be that it is jammed in place. However, when I had the black panel (with the ECU attached) off, I couldn't use the power to get the window down. So, how can I get the window down a little so I can relieve the tension and hopefully get the rear window working again?
  • zmolinazmolina Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2007 Sequoia with the same problems, was trying to use the link with the pictures but i was unable to get to the page. please can you send me the link again to try to fix it because the dealer its asking a lot of money to repair it. Thanks for your help
    Zandra
    That link looks broken. Maybe this this one will help. Looks like the official Toyota TSB.

After several months of no activity, I removed this feed.
    I have restored the rear window fix to my server for you to review.
    GOOD LUCK!!

http://www.piranamedia.com/Toyota/

SGoodson :shades:
  • Put My Name On That Class Action law Suit. Going 2 Try to Remove The Brake Frist. 03-18-2013 My B-Day.
  • My Window will go Up & down. But auto don't work. but i don't let it all the way up. Might stop working & get Stuck again. Does this mean that my Motor & ECU are OK. Did Put in new Battery, but had problems before that. should i try removing Brake frist.
  • jlsatxjlsatx Posts: 1
    Dear Steve, I've been having the same issues as everyone else on this thread for years and I the time has come to fix it. I like what everyone says about your quick fix, but I the links to your web site and photos either are not found or go to some DVD sales site. Could you pls re-post your solution to this problem?

Thank you very much in advance! Jose/San Antonio, TX
    Sorry, but I had a bunch of rouge sites linking to my server.
    Try the following link: Toyota Rear Window Fix

PS: Print the information / The link will be deleted soon.
    Anyone needing the information will have to write in the future for me to upload to a new link.
    It's dead again. Be nice if you could find a place to park it "permanently".