Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A6 Wagons

Comments

• Has anyone seen or ordered or considered the Audi navigation system for the 2000 model year? Interested in hearing thoughts on the onboard system compared to an aftermarket system.
  • The 2.8 serves the vast majority of wagon drivers
    exactly to their needs. I am sorry spockcat went out and purchased an ml430. It simply is inferior
    related to handling, safety and looks. Acceleration is adequate in the a6 avant---everything else is second to none.
  • buvverbuvver Posts: 7
    So what ? It appears to me that a lot of us would like a wagon with little more power. Feel free to buy yourself a 2.8 but don't assume that your opinion covers the vast majority of drivers.
  • Anyone know what is in store for the 2001 A6 avant
    engine? If they dont put in the 2.7 turbo I am
    buying a volvo V70 R...
  • I CURRENTLY AM LOOKING TO SELL A 1998 A6 QUATTRO WAGON, PEARL WHITE, FULLY LOADED WITH EVERY AVAILABLE OPTION. STICKER PRICE PAID EXACTLY 2 YEARS AGO -$45,000. WHAT'S YOUR BEST GUESS WHAT THE AUDI DEALERS OFFER FOR TRADE FOR THE CAR???
    THIS IS GOING IN TO THE DEALER WITH CHECK IN BACK POCKET READY TO MAKE A DEAL ON A NEW A6 OR A4????

$23.5K TOPS !!!!!! SO I CALL AROUND TO OTHER DEALERS AND SURE ENOUGH AS ALL NEW CAR DEALERS ARE BASICALLY SLIM JUST LOOKING TO MAKE THEIR MONTHLY QUOTA WHOLESALE ON THE VEHICLE IN NEW ENGLAND IS $23.5K THAT IS 51% DEPRECIATION IN 2 YEARS FOLKS. ANYONE CONSIDERING BUYING A NEW AUDI DON'T BELIEVE WHAT THE DEALER TELLS YOU ABOUT AUDI'S COME BACK , THE TRUTH IS THERE IS LIMITED MARKET FOR A USED AUDI AND THEY DEPRECIATE LIKE HECK..fyi
  • Although I am in PA,your wholesale price of $23.5k makes absolutely no sense. Wholesale prices for moderately equipped 1998 a6 wagons exceed $27k. If you really paid $45k for your wagon it was a very full price. I paid $40.9k for a 99 with everything except warm weather package. There was a style change from 98 to 99 but you still should check around for better pricing assuming there is nothing abnormal about your car's condition or mileage. Also,BUVVER-not opinion, just fact.
  • It's got barely 3K miles on it and is fully loaded. Dealer's asking $36K. Based on rparian's posting about "fast" depreciation above (24 Oct 1999), perhaps this is somewhat high...any thoughts?
  • I just bought a 2000 a6 avant--month old--and love it. The acceleration definitely seems quicker than the 99 I test drove, but I haven't seen any spec data. The owners manual and the audiusa web site both say the acceleration number is not yet available. Has anyone seen any actual numbers? Anyone else with a 2000 a6 2.8 have any observations on the acceleration change??
  • spockcatspockcat Posts: 100
    Why does BMW offer a 540i Sportwagon? Why does Volvo offer their V70R? True, not every buyer wants or needs more power but what I cannot understand is that Audi offers Avants in Europe with the other engines. Why do they give the USA no choice?
  • lkanlkan Posts: 2
    I just happened upon this website and i must say your conversation right now is exactly what I'm thinking about. Which is very good (and convenient!). Will the 2001 A6 Avant be offered with a more POWERFUL engine? And when do new year models actually arrive (to showrooms and to actual delivery)? For example, when did the 2000 models arrive? On March, July, or September of this year? And also Bordeaxx (#74) mentioned that the standard 2.8's modified transmission makes it a little more lively this year; is that true and by how much compared to last year's model? The A4 Avant 2.8 is only about 400 pounds lighter than the A6 Avant, has almost exactly the same HP and torque ratings, but according to almost everyone is much more peppy (even with the auto) than the A6. How is that so? Sorry for all these questions; I am shopping around and am curious. Thanks!
  • hm2hm2 Posts: 1
    Re Post 77, let me offer this. The difference between the weight of an A4 and A6 Avant may not seem that great, but the additional 400 pounds is a substantial extra burden on the output of the 2.8 engine. I just drove a 2000 model and could not tell any difference between its performance and that of the 1999 model. Perhaps if you drove one right after the other in direct comparison there would be a discernible difference, but the 2000 felt sluggish - no better than the 1999 in that regard.
  • I guess it comes down to the economics. Some look at where the largest demand is and then eventually follow up filling niche demands that make sense economically. It may make sense for BMW to fulfill the need for a peppy wagon because that is more their focus (also none exist) than perhaps the the quattro/safety focus Audi is presently taking. I must say that the 2.8 seems just fine and this is coming from someone who's previous two cars were around 300hp. Buying the Audi A6 Avant is as good a car buying decision that you can make. Now I am in the market for a sedan to complement my wagon and the E320(mb) is the most likely choice--as a sedan not as the wagon. Best wishes.
  • It's anybody's guess on what engines will be available on '01 A6. You may want to check out www.a4.org and www.vwvortex.com on speculations, rumors, and official Audi statements (if any) on forthcoming Audi models, including A6.

About the availability of new-year models, I bought the first '00 A6 2.8 sedan that my dealer had on their lot. It was built in 7/99, and the dealer had it in around mid-Sept. I think A4 came in much later that.

About '99 and '00 acceleration, Audi reprogrammed the shift points for '00 (and 99.5) Tiptronic, and several people reported improved low-end acceleration due to this change. I haven't driven '99 long enough to compare, though.
  • Just test drove the 2000 A6 Avant at Sonnen Motors in San Rafael CA. It definitely seems to have more torque - I did not find myself needing to put the gas pedal to the floor to get the car going and it responded immediately, unlike the 1999. The salesman, Nick, stated that Audi made changes to the camshafts in addition to other factors. I was pleased. The seats were not as plush, but the ride was smoother and less jiggly than a Volvo R. Also, as the Volvo engine was impressively growling, I looked at the speedometer and I was only going 65 mph - much ado about nothing.
  • Does anyone know whether the Audi A6 Avant comes with heated outside mirrors (standard or option)? I’ve read Audi’s literature, but I couldn’t find any mention of this. Thanks for any help.
  • Can anyone explain (or point me to a reasonably
    good explanation of) the major differences of
    these two "AWD" approaches? Thanks!
  • The Avante does come standard with heated outside mirrors. There is not a switch to turn the heaters on or off. The heaters are always on at least this is the case with the 99's and I'm quite sure for the y2k model.
  • just go a new a6 avant - seems faster to me that what he press says - the dealer says that he heard the car has been re-chipped for 2000 for better pick-up off the line - although the power rating is the same...either way, i think its great - by the way the list is actually a bit lower than '99 cosidering the equipment...mine had msrp of $39.4K
  • One of the changes for '00 on A6 2.8 is the reprgrammed shift points in Tiptronic transmission.

The price didn't go down, it went up slightly (about $100-$200), but '00 has a new package called Preferred Equipment Pkg which includes the most popular options (Sunroof, Leather Seats) at a substantially lower cost than getting Leather Seats and Convenience Package.
  • Not to digress from the A6 Avant discussion .... but a lot of previous posts indicate a lot of interest in higher performance engine with 6-speed option.

Well, more salt for the North American wounds.

Audi just announced RS4 Avant (admittedly, not the roomier A6 focus of this crowd). Engine is 2.7 turbo V-6 with 300+ hp. European delivery only. See neat pictures at www.a4.org/model/rs4.html.

May not be everyone's cup of tea ... but I'm heartbroken, again.
  • jritijriti Posts: 2
    welkowa had asked for an explanation of the different AWD systems. A FAQ at A4.org does a great job on that. Go to http://www.a4.org/faq/about.html and read "Introduction to AWD Systems"

JimR
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    Can anybody with an A6 that has a third seat tell if the seat looks like it can be retrofitted to a Passat - how is it attached etc. They have almost the same space in the back (actually the Passat is a skoosh larger) so there should be enough room. I would love an A6, but the Passat is more in line with what I am willing to pay.

Thanks in advance - the nearest Audi dealer is over 200 miles away and they only have a few a4's so I can't really check for myself.
  • I have test driven the 2000 Saab 9.5 wagon. Loved it. Why should I buy a 2000 A6 Avant instead of the Saab V6 turbo wagon?
  • Buy the Saab - I did and I love the car. Better sound, great handling and comfortable and fast. It handles well in snow and slush, but AWD on the Audi is an advantage. Audi also has the third seat if you need one. Otherwise, save the extra dough and have fun!
  • Just did it! Picking up the wag next week. Thanks for the note darandall! Keep me posted on your experience with your saab, and I will do the same.
  • I just returned from a week's vacation to find my 1999 Avant unable to start. Had it towed to the local Audi dealership and have been told that the sparkplugs have too much carbon on them and that the car needs some which will run "hotter" as well as a new thermostat. And those parts are not in stock. Anyone else had this disappointing experience with this expensive car?
  • I haven't had a problem with the spark plugs, but I'm in the middle of a problem everyone should be aware of. Apparently Audi is having a significant problem with the fuel sending units in the A6 (I'm not sure if it is only Avant related or not.) My wife ran out of gas in the middle of the night because the gauge was still reading half full. This was in October and we're still waiting for a new part. Apparently due to the high failure rate, Audi is redesigning the part.

I most admit I'm very disappointed with Audi from a customer service aspect. I'm the one who always has to call to find out the status and while polite, no one really seems to be that concerned about the problem or inconvenience. If this problem is as prevalent as my dealer has lead me to believe, then Audi should be notifying everyone of the potential for failure of the fuel sending unit and issuing a recall. In my mind running out of gas in the middle of the night is a safety issue and Audi should be showing more concern about their customers safety.
  • bollingerbollinger Posts: 207
    It is possible to need "hotter" plugs. If you drive only short trips, your plugs will not get hot fast enough to burn off carbon. Getting hotter plugs will help. However, if you switch to long trips and don't change your plugs back, you will burn up your plugs faster than normal. Not a big deal, you just have to replace them, no real harm done. Getting a hotter thermostat is a bad idea. Sounds like your dealer is confused. Unless your thermostat is just broken.

This problem with hot/cold plugs is not as uncommon as you think. It isn't like "decoking", that is something only needed on poorly designed engines. The higher performance your engine is, the more it will be sensitive to being "underdriven" and need things like hotter plugs. Not starting is a little extreme though, but many people lose performance to never making long trips and having their plugs fouled because of it.
  • Why don't you come visit us at the Saab 9-5 Wagon topic and tell us all about it!
  • I am searching for the best price on an A6 Avant in the Bay Area. Anyone have any input. Please email to rexflash@earthlink.net. Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.