Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold Plus Extended Warranty -- worth it?

Comments

• aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    edited July 2010
    "... I don't think there is any difference between "gentle" driving and "hard driving". "

I am sorry if I was misunderstood. I was not talking about gentle driving, I was talking about gentle use.

I am old, retired, and the only driver and occupant of the car. When not being driven, it spends its life in the garage out of sun and weather. It does not commute. It does not carry kids or pets or cargo. It does not go in snow or off pavement. It only goes 7,000 miles per year. I don't yank the windows to open or close the doors, or run the sunroof every day. Many of the controls are rarely used. The leather is still smelling new, the underside is clean, and the car will have the same newness when it is 6 years old with only 42,000 miles. It is not worth buying an extended warranty.

On the other hand, some cars are left out in the weather, commuted long distances every day, often driven by several drivers, perhaps by aggressive young drivers, and may carry kids, pets, cargo, and perhaps be used in snow, gravel roads, or off road. These cars are going to accumulate the miles and use and wear that make an extended warranty worthwhile.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Agree that it really boils down to price for that warranty. $2300 is too much, IMHO, that pays for a major repair and two of them are very unlikely and you may not want to keep the car anyway.

We drive few miles (3 cars, only 2 drivers) so for us a 7/70 warranty would be less than a grand, and you get roadside assistance for the 4 years beyond the OEM warranty.
  • robsisrobsis Posts: 160
    edited July 2010
    Just bought the 6/60 for our '09 Leggy (we drive 7500 a year or so). Great price (695) and Don at Mastria was great. Easy to deal with and fast service. Recommended!

Thanx, Don!
  • jogousajogousa Posts: 402
    edited July 2010
    As stated earlier on these pages, these warranties have a huge mark-up and dealers are not allowed to advertise them.

You don't have to buy this warranty from the dealer that sold you the car.
    Don Mastria Subaru can get you the same warranty for close to half the price, depending on length of coverage and deductible chosen.
    Absolutely, there are huge margins, look at robsis' price for instance.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,587
    Was yours the classic or gold warranty?
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
    edited July 2010
    Got one for my 2010 XT from Mastria as well (Gold 6 years 100 K) - whole transaction went through smoothly. Received Subaru USA confirmation and all is well.
  • robsisrobsis Posts: 160
  • I am about to help my father in law buy a new new or used Subaru. If used it will be a 2007 or later with less than 36k miles.

1) If used but less than 3 years / 36K is the the eligible for the the new car extended warranty?

2) I assume Subaru is like Toyota and offers something like a Genuine Subaru plan that is essentially bumper to bumper with a zero deductible. Can you tell me what denominations they come in. Ex: I bought a similar Toyota warranty for my Camry and it a 7/75 warranty. What would best fit Pop would be a 7/75 as well. To be honest they will put less than 5K a year on the car. HE WILL WANT A WARRANTY..no need to debate the fact that he likely would not need one!

3) What is a good price for this warranty. Its common place for them to offer the Toyota warranty for $1200 at the time of purchase. I then by it online from another dealer for $630...or the dealer I am buying the car from matches the price. I have done this after the fact on my last two Toyotas.

4) Are their known dealers out there who will just sell the warranty at a reasonable price? Ie, they know I made my purchase somewhere but just sell me the extended warranty. Please let me know who. If you need a Toyota contact, I can give you one...blashemy --- I know!

To be honest, I buy cars via email...hate to negotiate...that will not work in this case and is complicated more if he buys used. I feel I can determine a fair price for his purchase using Edmunds and other resourses but the warranty is always a bit trickier.

THANKS!!!!!
    If you buy one with less than 3 years and less than 36 K miles you can buy Subaru Extended Warranty from any Subaru Dealer. A good price (in my opinion) would be $ 1000 to 1200 (non-turbo models) . You will get the policy from Subaru North America, once fully paid (they also have 10 months installment plan).

Make sure you verify those miles if you buy the car from a private party.
    You can do that by going to CarFax or any authorized Subaru Dealer and give them the VIN number.

The rest someone else can answer.
    edited August 2010
    Agreed. You can get the Gold warranty at 7/70, and you can opt for $0, $50, or $100 deductible. If you opt for the $0, 7/70, it should be in the range jogousa suggested.

Just make sure that your car was brought into service under 36 months ago! A 2007 or 2008 model could likely have an in-service date of more than 36 months.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • WOW, thats a lot of $$$ for a car already with 3/36 and 5/50 on engine and tranny. It makes me wonder if he should be looking at another brand. Like I said, we paid $700 for a 7/100K zero deductible on out new RAV and $630 for my Camry (7/75). And they only came with 3/36 so far as I know.
    It is much higher than you paid on the Toyota, but remember that this is a MUCH smaller company! Toyota has the volume to spread the cost of warranty claims over a much larger base, whereas Subaru does not. That is not to say that the likelihood of failure is higher with a given car from either manufacturer.
  • Ahhh...not so sure about that logic...they also sell a lot less cars. Also, I thought Toyota now owned a stake in Subaru....
    Warranty pricing is a funny thing, though. It's about customers' perception of how reliable a brand is.

I've priced warranties and indeed Toyota's are DIRT CHEAP. I can cover the Sienna for 7/100 for around $700. For our Subie it's a bit more, but still under a grand.

Go price, say, a Range Rover 7/100 warranty. Try not to pass out.
    Also, Toyota will have economies of scale. There's a certain cost with operating a warranty program, and indeed they can spread it over more cars.

While they cooperate on some things, I'm pretty sure the warranty depts are completely seperate.

To be honest, until the Toyobaru sports coupe arrives, there hasn't really been much sharing at all.
    edited August 2010
    "... I thought Toyota now owned a stake in Subaru....

Subaru is so successful that other companies have bought a "stake" in it. But no company has bought the 51% required to control it.
    GM bought 20% of Subaru in 2005 but sold it all in 2008 to Toyota.
    Toyota's purchase in 2008 gave it less than 17% of what Subaru had become.
    Toyota has no ability, or desire, to screw up its wise investment in Subaru by diluting that brand or its unique engineering.
    edited August 2010
    Most car manufacturers have "stakes" in other brands for many years to cut production and development costs of their future models.

Being involved with SAAB R&D in Trolhattan for many years I know that GM bought "stake" in Subaru in order to have access to Subaru's "platform" that takes years to develop. Subsequently, SAAB has been building certain models on Subaru platforms.

When GM saw the end of the tunnel (with SAAB) they unloaded the "stake" to Toyota.

All that makes sense and is not surprising and quite common in the automotive industry.
  • "... GM bought "stake" in Subaru in order to have access to Subaru's "platform" that takes years to develop. Subsequently, SAAB has been building certain models on Subaru platforms. "

The Saabaru, which was only made for 2 years...

"The Saab 9-2X is an automobile that was sold by Saab in the mid-2000s, but built in Japan at the Ota-Gunma plant by Fuji Heavy Industries and based on the Subaru Impreza with a modified body, suspension, and interior. Because of this, the 9-2X earned the nickname "Saabaru"... Starting in July 2004, for the 2005 model year...... The dissolution of the GM/Subaru relationship in 2005 spelled the end of this model. Production ended with the 2006 model year, and there was no return of the 9-2X for 2007."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-2X
    Oh well... what a sad story - but Saab is still kicking ... people in Trollhattan still have jobs - thanks to the Dutch!
    Currently weeding out US distribution dealers....
  • guys
    the lowest i found was 7/70000 for 700...
    i am low mileage driver and i took the 100$ deductaible offer...

call the Mastria Subaru guys...they have a something going on this month...you can negotiate the price too...
    pay in 10 payments by credit card interest free
  • Can these plans (Mastria ) be sold to customers in PA---heard PA was a MSRP state and out of state purchsases may only be sold at MSRP..phooey I hope. How would the process work if you could sell....do we just call?
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,475
    Can these plans (Mastria ) be sold to customers in PA---heard PA was a MSRP state and out of state purchsases may only be sold at MSRP..phooey I hope.

My Mom recently bought a Subaru in PA. She showed the dealer's finance guy Mastria's price and they eventually matched it (plus sales tax).
  • I would like to see a detail list of the various options for Subaru's Extended Warranty with all the year, mileage and deductible variables. When I call Subaru's 800 number and ask for the details, they tell me to contact the dealer. I don't want to call the dealer and listen to the pitch. I just want the facts ma'am!
    Can someone help me or point me in the right direction?
    When I go to checkbook.org (carbargains.com) they list Roto Subaru Arlington Heights, IL as selling Subaru Warranties at $25 over invoice. I guess that I'd like to know retail and invoice prices on extended warranties. Anyone?.
    I would like to see a detail list of the various options for Subaru's Extended Warranty with all the year, mileage and deductible variables.

http://www.subaru.com/finance-center/added-security-plans.html
    https://www.subaru.com/content/downloads/pdf/security/sas_brochure.pdf

There are three deductible variables: $100, $50, $0

The lengths are (from in-service date / zero miles):
    3/45,000
    4/60,000
    5/60,000
    6/60,000
    6/80,000
    7/70,000
    5/100,000
    6/100,000
    7/100,000
    SOA (Subaru of America) does not sell extended warranty directly to consumers.. You have to buy it from anu authorized Subaru dealer and it does not have to be from the dealer, where you bought the car.
    As indicated earlier on these pages, Mastria Subaru has the best deal (in my opinion).
    I've got one for 7 years 100 K for my 2010 XT Forester.
    I wish they'd change that. But the dealer lobby is powerful, and they actually make money on those, unlike Subaru.
    edited October 2010
    "... recently bought a Subaru in PA... showed the dealer's finance guy Mastria's price and they eventually matched it (plus sales tax)."

I should have given my local dealer the same opportunity, for the sake of the relationship. But I, too, would have had to pay our state's 6% sales tax, which Mastria avoids with their out-of-state sales.
  • morin2morin2 Posts: 399
    I recently bought the 5/100K for my Outback. I called Don because earlier posts here on Edmunds were very positive and confirmed that he grew up two houses away from my grandparents and that I went to elementary school with his sister for 8 years - small world. Next time I drive the 500 miles back to MA to see my folks, I plan to stop in to Mastria and say Hi, check them out for service and take a look at the new Forester engine.

Not only did I get an extended warranty at a great price, but I reconnected with my distant past.

My only regret is that we did not buy the extended warranty for my wife's Forester before its basic warranty expired last year.
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    Hey, Don! I should get some sort of "credit" or commission, or something, for the sales of extended warranties to those on this board. It was my original email a year or so ago that suggested you guys had the best prices for the extended warranty!

Besides, I have purchased 5 cars past few years from your facility, all with extended warranties, including three Subarus. Most recent one was 2011 Outback, purchased Oct 1 this year.