Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Safari/Chevy Astro

Comments

• tombayertombayer Posts: 23
    Astro's are much cheaper, at least 10-15k dollars worth. Astro's have just as much if not more usable interior space. Astro's get better fuel mileage. Astro's don't fit into the "designer SUV" category that every soccer mom loves to drive (forgive me ladies, just trying to make a point). One last note, my Astro has the two rear bench seats and dutch doors. It is very easy to haul 4x8 building materials by just folding the seat backs flat and have about 2 inches of the 4x8 sticking out the back, then I tie the lift gate shut with a short piece of rope. I could probably shut the lift gate if I moved the front seats all the way forward, but that would be too cramped for me to drive. The bench seats are removable, but I've only had to do that once or twice, usually just folding the seatbacks down gives plenty of room.
  • gtrag1gtrag1 Posts: 4
    Need some Help
    I have always heard good things about the astro van. Two years ago I purchase a 95 two wheel drive for pulling my small tent trailer. This van has been nothing but trouble. The wiper motor starts and stops when ever it wants,and now The main fuel inject or needs to be replaced for the third time.I only have 65000 miles on the van.I was looking to replace this van with another astro, but after reading the messages on this board I ask my self why. I love the space of the astro van, but am having second thoughts.
    are things better in the 2001 vans?

Can anyone help me find a good report to compare a few vans.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,914
    Hi gtrag1

Here's another message board you may want to peruse:

Full Sized Vans.

I don't know of any reviews for the Astro or it's full size competition off-hand. If you go to New Cars from the main page and select the Chevy and then the Astro, there is a comparison tab, and a link to order brochures. Anyone got any reviews?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dpayne1dpayne1 Posts: 8
    I am considering the purchase of a 2000 MC Safari WAD, but I do drive on a limited use seasonal highway most weekends to get to camp.
    This road is .3 miles long, and mostly rutted dirt.
    We also have a mostly dirt (with some gravel) hill to go down, and then back up leading to the cabin. Has anybody done any off-road driving with this WAD Van?? I now use a 1987 Suburban 4X4 with no problems, but the Suburban is getting a little old, and the wife likes the new van idea over the new Extended Cab pickup. I like the price of the Safari, but don't want to cause damage by driving off-road.
    Thanks in advance for your comments
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    The wiper motor starts and stops when ever it wants... Common problem in the GM is cracks in the solder joint of the circuit board connector where the wiring harness plugs in. I have fixed quite a few of these. Remove the circuit board and re-solder the joints to the connector.

...main fuel injector needs to be replaced for the third time. Another common problem. Can be caused by high additive concentrations in blended fuels. In Texas this is a problem when using premium fuels. I had four injectors go out in a '94 Safari, and one in a '95 Safari before finding out about this. Since going with regular grade only I have put 55K miles on the van with no further injector problems.
  • by rddrummer1

I just bought a 2001 Chevy Astro AWD cargo van. The problem is the fuel mileage, with the first two tanks of gas I'm getting about 9 mpg, any suggestions?
  • creidcreid Posts: 54
    RE: rddrummer1
    That is terrible gas mileage. I also bought a 2001 awd but Passenger & my gas mileage first tank was 13 & the second is 13.8, I to hope that the gas mileage will get better but 9 is absolutely terrible. Mine has all been city driving with no excessive acceleration.
  • gtrag1gtrag1 Posts: 4
    Thank you for the great input.
    I will try re soldering the joints on the wiper motor.
    As for the injectors I am burning regular gas from superamerica in minnesota.Is there a better type of fuel that I should be using?

Thank you for all of your help
  • My '97 Astro is almost off lease. I've not had any problems that are significant, but the carpet is soaked to the driver's seats. I've heard its the rear seals but no one has suggested a solution. We had the dealer adjust the "Dutch" doors twice. Has anyone had any success with a dealer or with M on this problem? Its always noted on the work order "unable to duplicate" when I go to the dealership. If so where does the water come from?
  • isis805isis805 Posts: 1
    I have repaired many Astro rear door water leaks, the problem is water can creep under the rear carpet retainer at the rear doors. The retainer is held down with screws and some 2-sided tape. I have been removing the carpet retainer, applying a bead of caulking between the pinch weld flanges at each side under the carpet retainer. Let the caulking set to firm up a bit and install the carpet retainer. Also replace the 2-sided tape on the retainer. This forms a dam under the retainer and blocks the water that seeps past the door seals. Also the upper seal at the roof may require a bead of caulking where it meets the roof. Hope this helps.
    Dave (G. M. Technician)
    Thank you Dave (isis805); nice to see a coveted "century" post with such good info :-)

Steve
    Host
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Looks like you got the century post, Steve ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    lol, quit messing with my head, Drew. Dave's excellent wet carpet fix was post 100 until you started deleting stuff :-)

Steve
    Host
  • m2bm2b Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2WD 2000 Astro at the end of 2000, currently have 10,500 miles between lots of city and freeway driving. Big plusses and minuses, in my experience:
    The good:
    Very roomy, affordable (compared to other mini vans), good towing capacity, nice straight-line behavior on the freeway.
    The bad & ugly:
    Atrocious quality control - new squeaks, rattles, clunks and buzzes every day. Some go away spontaneously, some get fixed, some remain forever. Lots of wind noise, clunky transmission shifts, especially second to third ("normal" according to my dealer) and so-so mileage (about 16.5 city, 20 highway). Based on these issues, I'm concerned about long term reliability.
    I would look at the Astro for what is is: an inexpensive hauler with typical GM QC. I purchased an extended warranty through my credit union based on recommendations from other Astro owners.
    If you're looking for quality and tossability, I'd look elsewhere; if you're looking for a decent hauler with lots of people and cargo room, and are willing to take some risk, the Astro should be OK.
    Hope this helps.
  • danjk2danjk2 Posts: 2
    I am out of pocket nearly $5,000 in post warranty repairs on my 1997 Astro AWD. The latest is $2,200 for a new transmission at 78,000 miles, which was preceded last month by $800 to replace the lower intake gasket that was leaking coolant all over the engine. I have also replaced the idler arms, serpentine belt (twice), driver's door power window motor, rear liftglass struts and more ... much, much more.
  • roman40roman40 Posts: 1
    My safari has had a bad pull to the right since '98. Several dealers have looked at it but have been unable to fix it. Have had front brakes replaced twice in the last 3 years and it has had no improvement in the pulling. Some other bits and bytes.. am on third set of idler arms! Torsion bar broke on front drivers side. I have the wiper problem and will check the solder joint on cc board as suggested. The rear heater pipe has cracked. The rear brakes seem to wear out quickly. I love the space but the reliability...
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Check the contacts that come from the circuit board to the commutator (shiny rings). If the contacts on the ends of the spring arms are badly worn, bend the arm a little further away from the board and you will change the contact angle and get more time out of it.

Jim
  • billp10billp10 Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have recently purchased a 1990 GMC safari. Unfortunately the heater fan does not work. Can anyone please suggest what i should consider checking into. Also does anyone know if the heater blower is under the hood, or in the dash.

thanks
    Bill
  • topseatopsea Posts: 47
    I'll just put in my 2 cents

After driving 1.3 million miles on business for the last 22 years, I just purchased my second new Astro AWD tonight. My old '98 has 128,000 and is still running strong. The 2001 has GM's 100,000 mile, 3 yr warranty. I'll be over 100,000 in less than the 3 years but for $2,300, it's worth it. In my winter travels these AWD Astros really grip the road. Of course the new Uniroyal Tiger Paws come off the new Astro and my new Toyo Z800 Ultras that are on 98 will go on the 2001 to make the gripping even better. I believe in taking great care of my "offices" and they seem to treat me right. Guess one of my biggest complaints about the Astro is it's abysmal safety record. They are sadly in need of an update by GM and they will probably change them now that I just bought one. Hey, I even got the optional Turn Signals on my Astro. (heh heh)

Terry
  • creidcreid Posts: 54
    I also purchased a 2001 awd van but didn't see anywhere in the owners manual of of 3 yr 100,000mi warranty? Only the std. 3/36 Where did you find this information? Thanks.