Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• dskidski Posts: 414
    I don't have the Aero version but I'm surprised to hear your comment about a soft suspension.

I will say this: We owned the First year 9-5 and just traded for the '02 this year. The newest version (2002) is completely different in ride and handling. I noticed the upgrade and improvement in handling immmediately. Body roll should not be an issue with the new models. It's not with our new wagon anyway.

Drew
    ps. Our first 9-5 needed a battery replacement early too. Anyone know what the issue is here?
  • I'm on battery #3 with my 2000 9-5 and the car is not even 3 years old. The dealership keeps replacing them under warranty but that doesn't help when I'm stuck in a parking lot somewhere. Anyhow,as mentioned in my earlier post,this is the only problem I've had in the last 2.5 years. I think the prudent thing to do is to have them check the battery everytime you take it in for service.
    I think it's a Sweedish thing.. My Brother-in-law owns a 99 Volvo s70 and he also has had to replace several batteries.
    I'm not sure if battery technology is getting worse or if the newer cars just use more power but my 89 Mazda 626 was 6 years old before I had to replace the original battery.
    Well a batter every year is kinda hard to take. Our first 9-5 only had one replacement after 2 years. It did leave me stranded. I replaced the car after more than 3 years without another problem.

Drew
  • beer47beer47 Posts: 185
    Has anybody gone this route? Can you combine dealer cash with it? Special financing? On a Chevy the supplier discount can be pretty deep and worthwhile. How about GM card points? Can they be put toward Saab purchase?
  • I originally purchased a used 9-5 Sedan as I fell in love with the seat and the way it handled. It had 32,000 miles on it and ran fine. About 5,000 miles later it developed a hesitaion or skip over 50mph. It got steadily worse and I threatened the dealer with a lemon law claim as I'd had it in 4 times for repair. His solution was to give me a great deal on a 2001 9-5 Wagon that they had used as a loaner. Around 25,000 miles the same problem started along with large amounts of blue smoke on the initial morning start-up. They replace the vacuum pump and hose for the smoke and to date cannot figure out where the hesitation is coming from. It goes in Monday for the 3rd and final service at which point I will file a lemon law claim. Any ideas what causes this skipping? I'd really like to keep the car, but the reliability issues worry me as I am a high mileage driver.
  • Hi,
    Thanks for your many ideas. I love the look of the wagons. They just look so sleek compared to all the others, but I talked to my banker and a new one, even with discounts is out of the question. So I'm looking at used passat 4 motions, or a new Legacy. I even looked up leasebusters, which have an awful lot of people trying to get out of Saab leases, but they are all in the 700-800/month range. It seems with the way they depreciate like a rock, you'd be upside down quickly. I don't know if a 2000 wagon would be a good place to pour money. I haven't driven one yet, because all the books I'm reading about buying a car say, "don't fall in love until you get it home" It looks like I'm leaning towards the Subie because of reliability. My heart wants the Passat or Saab, but the practical side says Subie. I expect to keep the car for awhile (that's why I'm not excited about leasing.) My last car, a 77 320i just went to it's grave 3 weeks ago. It held out well for 25 years! I don't expect that, but I need something reliable, stylish and fun to drive for a good 5-7 years. there, that's my dilema. I'm trying to narrow the choices.
    any ideas?
    thanks in advance,
    cdndriver
  • Hi again,
    I can't find anywhere in Canada where I can get the invoice prices on cars without having to pay at least $20.00 for them. Edmunds, here, doesn't give anything for Cdns., it won't take our postal codes. If I go for a new car, I'd like to know. Anyone know where I can get the information? Websites?
    Thanks,
    cdndriver
  • I don't know how pricing for new Saabs is in Canada (my home country) or the US right now, but in Belgium I was just given the full diplomatic discount on the 9,5 Vector Estate I ordered for my wife. As an expat I am eligible for a discount, but not the more than 25% off list I got. That not only took care of the VAT(21% here) but covered the expensive road tax which is based on engine output. Pricing in Belgium (in Euro) seems to be in line with the US, although the model line up is a little different. I already drive a 2002 9,3 Aero Cabriolet (Viggen body), so I'm happy to have another Saab in the garage.
    Not sure why your having these problems. I have heard similar stories from people in high altitudes who are not using Premium Gas. Apparantly it's a Turbo related situation but honestly.. I don't know. Our first 9-5 never experienced the problem.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • rwbxrwbx Posts: 3
    Today in New York, I had my first real expereince driving my 2000 Saab wagon in snow, perhaps 6 inches with slippery conditions. It was a great and possibly dangerous disappointment. I have had an Audi so I have something to compare it to. The front end shimmied back and forthon accleration, I had trouble getting traction on slight inclines and I nearly lost control on a right hand turn as the front drifted left. Any comments or light on this problem would be appreciated.
    We've had Saabs since '94 (two 9-5 and a 900) and all have been Great snow cars. I've also had an Audi Quattro. Of course that was a better car for snow.

Do you have an Aero version? If so, it's your tires. The performance tires are not to be used for driving in the snow. You WILL need to get snow tires if you intend to drive in snow. If you have a Non Aero .. I'd still guess it's a tire issue. Have them checked. Our 9-5 did great in the 6-7 inch snow we got yesterday.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • First: Yes the GM employee discount applies. I recently got a quote on a 2003 Linear wagon Sticker: 39,700 My Price: 31,795
    That included the GMS price, along with the full 4,000 dealer cash that they must give along with it.

I didn't get a price on an Aero, but it does drive nice! A bit of torque/steer at take off but it's to be expected. The interior is well laid out and I think it's as sharp as a BMW, if a bit understated. I know the dealer has some cash on the Aero, but I don't think it's as much as the 4K on the Linear.

Also drove, and just purchased, a Volvo XC70. The 2003 model has mildly increased HP, but loads more torque. Also the addition of the Haldex AWD is an improvement on an already good system. I purchased this through the Volvo overseas program. Sticker: about 38,500 My Price 31,945
    This included AWD, Premium and Touring Pkgs, and I 'm not even going to Sweden to get it! I thought this was the best value with the AWD, although it's not quite the sporty wagon when compared to the Aero or BMW.
  • beer47beer47 Posts: 185
    thanks for the info...........
  • rwbxrwbx Posts: 3
    I appreciate the comments on my posting "Snow". I do have an Aero and your ideas make sense, especially after reading this month's Consumer Reports on tires. At 30,000 I think mine might be a little worn. I drive upstate frequently and I am always concerned about being caught in a snowstorm on the trip. My Audi wagon always gave me an edge of confidence, but the price was steep to buy again. Saab is a great driving car, a fun car, but I think that given the choice again, I'd return to the quattro, more tank-like but safer I think. Thanks again
    Well, you don't need to trade for a Quattro to be happy. True it's the best for snow but just know that the Aero tires are not intended for snow. Unsafe actually. Put the appropriate tires on in the winter. It will be cheaper than trading, save wear on your more expensive tires and it will handle the snow Great.

Drew
  • jonw2jonw2 Posts: 49
    I just read Warren Brown's glowing review of the 2003 Volvo XC90 2.5T in Sunday's Washington Post. Brown calls it a crossover SUV. I'm sure this subject has been discussed here from time to time, but I was wondering if any of the regulars here know of any plans for a Saab AWD.
    As owner of an older Saab 900S and a later Subaru Legacy wagon, it has long occurred to me that an AWD is way overdue for Saab. In my opinion, Saab lost market share to Subaru years ago when Subaru seemingly became the vehicle of choice for many outdoors enthusiasts.
    Having owned two, I'm still a big fan of Saab, although it seems to me that they are slipping somewhat behind the competition. By the way, Warren Brown said that, in normal driving conditions, 95 percent of the drive power on the Volvo XC90 goes to the front wheels, thereby saving fuel. He says "65 percent of the drive power is shifted to the rear wheels during slippery conditions." A unique roll over protection system was developed for the Volvo XC90, which gives it great stability.
    This is not intended to knock Saab, as I would choose Saab over Volvo any day, especially since it is now a subsidiary of Ford. However, it would be reassuring to see Saab reaffirm its status as a serious contender in the market.
    Jon,'87 Saab 185K trouble-free miles
    Yes, Saab plans to have an AWD version of the redesigned 9-3 model which is just hitting showrooms now.

I've seen the new 9-3. It looks great.

There are also plans to have a new Cross Over type vehicle on this platform. Prototypes have already been built and shown at Auto shows in the past year.

Drew
  • jonw2jonw2 Posts: 49
    Drew,

Thanks for your response. It's encouraging to know that Saab has an AWD 9-3 coming out soon. I hope Saab will offer an AWD in the 9-5 as well. Our Legacy wagon has been an outstanding performer, but I'm thinking that a Saab 9-5 wagon would provide more in comfort and safety.
    Regards,
    Jon
    Well, I don't know how soon Saab will have an AWD version 9-3 or cross-over. It's the plan but I haven't heard what the time schedule is.

I don't believe the current 9-5 has the room in it's archecture for an AWD system. My understanding is that AWD will have to wait for the next generation 9-5.

Drew
  • thinking about getting one of these...price is a question. i undertand that there is a lot of dealer cash out there right now...what should i expect to pay for an '03 aero wagon?
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    While you're waiting here for feedback, you may also want to check with Edmunds' TMV Pricing Tools? This will give you the average cost others are paying in your region.

Also, please note: Edmunds' new vehicle TMV prices do not take into account current Manufacturer-to-consumer incentives or rebates. If there are any customer cash incentives in your area, you'll want to make the necessary adjustments.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • manamalmanamal Posts: 434
    subject says it all
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks- We have a new discussion on the Wagon's Message board. If any of you have insights to share on Saab 9-5 and/or VW Passat wagons, please join us in this new discussion: Saab 9-5 wagon vs Passat Wagon. Help one of our Town Hall participants (booguion) make up his mind. Thanks!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • I know this sounds dumb but can anybody comment on the new Saab colors. My dealer doesn't have all the colors and I just can't buy another silver anything! Has anyone seen the "Hazelnut"? Do the dark colors drive people crazy due to dirt /scratches, etc because they sure are pretty! My son's suggestion that for $800.00 bucks you can "have it painted any color" did not really help much with question. Any color experts out there? Thanks
  • I was looking at a new 9-5 Aero wagon and the dealer here in So. Cal is taking $1k off sticker plus Saab is kicking in either $3k or 0 percent financing. I was wondering after looking at the pricing if that leaves the dealer with almost 2k profit (ie should I be expecting more of a discount on a $43k loaded Aero?) Very impressed with the handling and good fuel economy of this car.
    You should be able to get the Aero for about 35-37K.
  • I keep reading messages about the great Saab deals people are getting and would appreciate some pricing info from the board "wizards". I am ready to buy so I need all the ammunition I can carry to the deal. I have checked the TMV on Edmunds and I know that there is a $4,000 'rebate' being given still. But what is a good realistic price for a new 2003 Saab Arc 9-5 wagon ( no Touring Pkg option) before the rebate? Edmund's says : $38,200. Or any suggestions on sites (besides Edmunds) to see the 'true value' and what the sales/Manuf. "add on" to the price? I am not very car savey and I don't mind the car people making some money but I don't want to be a complete sucker. I and my kids' college funds thank you for any morsals of wisdom.
    38,200 is before the incentive.
    I figure 34K - 35K may be a good price.

BTW, 1 year ago I bough an '01 9-5 SE Wgn for
  • tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    Try http://www.carsdirect.com - they will show you a decent price with the rebate factored in.
  • grumbgrumb Posts: 21
    I got an '03 ARC Wagon in the new Merlot, and it is beautiful. Getting plenty of compliments that although not a traditional SAAB Color, like silver, , it works!--Looked at hazelnut, and it looks like too mousey brown IMHO.