Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• dskidski Posts: 414
    It'd be a waste.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Here it is: Saab vs. Volvo Wagons. Let me know if you'd like me to add anything to the title?

Also, for future reference, anyone here can start up a new discusions if they'd like. Click on the "Add Discussion" button on the upper/right side of any of our main message boards.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • fauxpawsfauxpaws Posts: 11
    nelsoncm: Wow. My first thought was maybe you've got an Aero, driving low profile tires and sport suspension on bad concrete. But in an Arc? Something's wrong. What tires in what condition? I'd have it checked. Or, loosen the death grip on the wheel <VBG>. My Pirelli P6's transmit thumps, but no abnormal vibration. Weird.

Totally agree on the cupholder scandal. Where are the kids going to put their super-duper-sized electric pink strawberry "shakes?" All over the carpet so the dog can slurp up the goo! My Sheltie misses his own cup holder. Really. Now I have to lift the center console to let him sip.

The Volvo has the front storage competition locked up. But if I want closet space, I'll go to IKEA. Plus, I was dubious about all the little nets on the seats and side pillars in the Saab. But, you know, net storage means you don't have to deal with cleaning all the GRUNGE that builds up in car storage bins. Also, remember that Saab uses an airplane analogy in their cars (right down to the map light that is identical to those in their jets like the 340B I flew down to Lynchburg last month). In airplanes, stuff that can end up floating around at zero G (including Shelties) is not allowed. Perhaps they're carrying the analogy a bit far. Maybe it's just safer to keep a neat cockpit.

Use of space in a finite environment would be a great topic here. Anyone found a classy aftermarket cupholder or tiny trash bin?

Also, one thing I noticed first thing: The car is pretty darn tight and quiet. Anything loose will rattle, and you'll notice it. I hate that. You can't store CD's in the door bins: rattles.

Under floor in back: I'm using this area for breakdown stuff: towing strap, flares, tire pump, flash light, jumper cables and a good book.

BlockIslandGuy: Good news is that there IS a choice in AWD wagons. But the overwhelming choice seems to be the Subaru Outback, not the Volvo. I've been in three major "weather" cities this month: Portland, ME, Rochester, NY, and Reno, NV (Sierra passes). It's no contest, especially in snow belt Rochester. Most Saab wagons: Maine. Least (none) Reno.

Aside: As if you didn't know the target audience for Volvos, take a listen to Everclear's new song, "Volvo-Driving Soccer Mom."

If Volvo owns the right lane. Saab owns the left. "The Wall Street Journal" (6/6/03) reviewed the Volvo S60 ("A Fast Car for the Tweedy Set") and it seems they still have work to do. The reviewer wasn't bowled over with the car. A bit unrefined for all the horses.

Also, read my profile for some favorite websites.

Best,
    Greg (retired and long winded. Sorry.)
    nelsoncm: Wow. My first thought was maybe you've got an Aero, driving low profile tires and sport suspension on bad concrete. But in an Arc? Something's wrong. What tires in what condition? I'd have it checked. Or, loosen the death grip on the wheel <VBG>. My Pirelli P6's transmit thumps, but no abnormal vibration. Weird.

Totally agree on the cupholder scandal. Where are the kids going to put their super-duper-sized electric pink strawberry "shakes?" All over the carpet so the dog can slurp up the goo! My Sheltie misses his own cup holder. Really. Now I have to lift the center console to let him sip.

The Volvo has the front storage competition locked up. But if I want closet space, I'll go to IKEA. Plus, I was dubious about all the little nets on the seats and side pillars in the Saab. But, you know, net storage means you don't have to deal with cleaning all the GRUNGE that builds up in car storage bins. Also, remember that Saab uses an airplane analogy in their cars (right down to the map light that is identical to those in their jets like the 340B I flew down to Lynchburg last month). In airplanes, stuff that can end up floating around at zero G (including Shelties) is not allowed. Perhaps they're carrying the analogy a bit far. Maybe it's just safer to keep a neat cockpit.

Use of space in a finite environment would be a great topic here. Anyone found a classy aftermarket cupholder or tiny trash bin?

Also, one thing I noticed first thing: The car is pretty darn tight and quiet. Anything loose will rattle, and you'll notice it. I hate that. You can't store CD's in the door bins: rattles.

Under floor in back: I'm using this area for breakdown stuff: towing strap, flares, tire pump, flash light, jumper cables and a good book.

BlockIslandGuy: Good news is that there IS a choice in AWD wagons. But the overwhelming choice seems to be the Subaru Outback, not the Volvo. I've been in three major "weather" cities this month: Portland, ME, Rochester, NY, and Reno, NV (Sierra passes). It's no contest, especially in snow belt Rochester. Most Saab wagons: Maine. Least (none) Reno.

Aside: As if you didn't know the target audience for Volvos, take a listen to Everclear's new song, "Volvo-Driving Soccer Mom."

If Volvo owns the right lane. Saab owns the left. "The Wall Street Journal" (6/6/03) reviewed the Volvo S60 ("A Fast Car for the Tweedy Set") and it seems they still have work to do. The reviewer wasn't bowled over with the car. A bit unrefined for all the horses.

Also, read my profile for some favorite websites.

Best,
    Greg (retired and long winded. Sorry.)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,830
    would have the wheels checked. my wife's saab has twice lost wheel weights, which resulted in vibrations at highway speeds; rebalnce and everything is fine.
    saab vs. volvo wagons... what took so long?
    it will be just like soccer games.
  • Fauxpaws, another great post. You must have been an ad guy or writer in an earlier life.

I'm not surprised at the number of Saab wagons you saw in ME. There is a huge infrastructure of good, independent Saab shops. So many so that there are even TWO in China, ME! Mainers really got into Saabs years ago before there were other FWD let alone AWD cars. Now Suburus seem to have taken over especially for the under 40 crowd and those on fixed incomes. (Maine is a poor state, despite the new McMansions you see from Kittery to Portland. When you control for cost of living, ME is as poor as Mississippi with a similar economy-farming/fishing/Gov't shipbuilding.)
  • Saab Aero vs. Volvo V70 T5 (or 2.5T). I have been looking for a couple of months now. Tough decision, especially since Volvo has gone to scheduled maintenance at no charge for 2004. I am leaning towards the Saab but the Volvo seems like the rear cargo area is larger since the wheel wells dont intrude into the rear cargo compartment. Performance seems to be similar between the T5 and Aero. It is probably going to come down to price. Another plus with the Saab is that it doesnt carry as much of a "soccer mom" image.

Anyone else who has compared the two, I would be interested in your feedback.
    Hi Folks - Let's please respond to trapper7147's question in our new Saab vs. Volvo Wagons discussion. He's also posted the same message there. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    You said "Totally agree on the cupholder scandal. Where are the kids going to put their super-duper-sized electric pink strawberry "shakes?" All over the carpet so the dog can slurp up the goo! My Sheltie misses his own cup holder. Really. Now I have to lift the center console to let him sip"

You're mocking me, aren't you??????

Hey, don't get me wrong, I appreciate the pluses of my car, really. But my last car was a Sable wagon, and while it lacked in build quality, it had storage galore, I didn't feel quite so cramped and it was much smoother sailing.

Now I have a well-built car (Arc v6 wagon) but I feel a tad cramped cramped, espcially on family trips.

What's a girl to do? On the list of major life comaplaints, I grant you it's minor. But our lovely host asked us for our feedback and I gave it.
    Yeah, I had the steering wheel vibration thing checked out, and they checked the wheel weights -- all was ok. It's simply a matter of what I'm used to, which previously was a big ol' Sable wagon, and two Japanese sedans before that. Plus, I've had carpal tunnel syndrome off and on for years, so my wrists are extra sensitive. I did purchase a nice leather steering wheel cover and it adds padding and thickness and is an enormous help. I highly recommmend it, should come in especially handy on cold days.
    I'm a posting maniac today! I own the Arc v6 wagon. I've driven the 4 cyl sedan. I woudn't own it. Much noisier and rougher. And I don't care about cost of repairs until my warranty runs out, which won't be for another 40,000 miles.
    I'd go for the v6.
  • Has anyone heard of any changes to the 2004 9-5 Sportwagon? I was at a dealer the other day and he said they should be getting 2004's in about 60-90 days. Of course he wouldnt detail any (if any) changes since he knows I am in the market. The rebate is $5k now since the 2004's are right around the corner.
    nelsoncm,

Sorry I haven't replied. Board has shown no new messages. Then I noticed 30 on the S v V thread. Plus all the new ones, including yours here. Weird.

Oh, no, there was no ad hominem attack intended, implicit or explicit. You drive an Arc wagon. That makes you A-OK in my book (as if you could care). You could have bought some honking SUV. No doubt you considered other Swedish cars. Aero drivers scoff at us Arc folks. We know we're the sensible sort. Low profile tires on the NJ Tpk/Goethals Bridge? I don't think so. 200 turbo'd horses get me into triple digits quickly enough. I need 250? Not according to my insurance agent.

No, it *is* annoying to make my daughter hold her latte while mine rests in a space age holder. And yes, my little Sheltie used to have his own cup, right next to mine, up front in the Caravan (company car). Now, when I come back to the car after picking up the newspaper at the Quickie Mart, half my latte's "missing."

My kids are grown. I've been through the melted crayons on the carpet stuff. I..."identify." Now it's nice to keep things nice and simple, all Swedish modern-like. Time to give an extra coat of wax. I miss the kids. But how 'bout that center channel on the Harmon Kardon sound system?

BTW, word *is* out on the changes to the Saab lineup for '04. Linear only in wagon form. V6 will be dropped in the Arc, to be replaced with a 2.3L 220hp t, and down the road with the "GM Global 6," an aluminum number they're going to use in Cadillacs, Saabs, et. al..

Best,
    Greg
    PS: To view the normal inhabitants of my car: http://www.pbase.com/fauxpaws/nikon_880
  • manamalmanamal Posts: 434
    You have a beutiful dog. Looks almost exactly like our sheltie.
  • ncvolncvol Posts: 196
    Ask and ye shall receive - the changes for 2004 9-5's:

http://media.gm.com/division/2004_prodinfo/saab/9-5/index.html

Most notably, the Arc will be dropping the V-6 and switching to the same 2.3t 4-cylinder engine used by the other two designs. However, it produces 220hp, which is apparently the "Goldilocks" amount of turbo charging between the Linear and the Aero.
  • Has anyone seen any pics of the 04 9-5 Aero? If so, could you post a link?
    Just as I had figured. Saab will be dropping the V6. I never expected that engine to last. I didn't want it and recommended against it to others. It was too complicated and difficult to service. Sorry for current owners but expect the resale to take a hit. I went through that with a '94 Saab V6 that was horrible.

The new version Arc with 220hp and now available 5-Speed will be the best package available IMO. Perfect compormise from the Aero with a more livable suspension and useful tires for everyday and every season. Yayy.. now I have a clear choice if we should go for a 3rd 9-5 in a couple of years! Too bad my wife won't drive a 5-Speed.

Drew
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Posts: 252
    can be found here:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk

Saab 9-5 V8

-have ways of making you torque! That's the message from GM, which has recently unveiled an all-new lightweight V8 petrol engine that is set to find its way into Saabs and Vauxhalls from 2004.

The new 4.3-litre unit, here in development form in a Saab 9-5, produces 300bhp and nearly 400Nm of pulling power, making it one of the most tractable units in its class. Yet the all-alloy construction and plastic components mean it will weigh little more than a four-cylinder powerplant.

An innovative throttle-by-wire system does away with the usual accelerator cable to use a fully automated set-up. It proves quick yet predictable, with the feel of a conventional unit.

The engine is a keen performer, with its huge torque applied through a six-speed automatic gearbox. Yet even with the self-shifter, the V8 powerplant proves a handful in the current 9-5, with plenty of wheelspin and torque steer. Saab points out that these traits will be ironed out before production, while insiders hint the engine will be mated to a secret new 4WD system.

If so, Saab and Vauxhall's future looks exciting. The new unit is already earmarked for flagship versions of the Vectra Signum, and will also appear in the next-generation 9-5 and Vauxhall Omega - both due in 2005. Juergen Zoellter

Comments: 0 Article from: Auto Express

Enjoy!!
  • In his exciting post, Buddahabman just increased the net worth of the average US SAAB dealer by 25%! Now they have something to sell. Volvo should watch out. Our XC70 five cylinder when loaded down with vacation gear on a hot day in July, IMHO isn't the match for a V8, any V8, even a 110K miles cast iron 318 Mopar in a Jeep GC, let alone a new ALU V8.
  • stu15stu15 Posts: 9
    me dealer told me that they couldn't discount the full $5k on a lease..... is that true?

I think I'm going to lease an ARC tonight...damn is it nice....
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,830
    am i wrong, or is the hk stereo now optional too(or not at all)?
    have an '01 se wagon (3 year lease). v6 discontinued, '04 decontented. linears too little, aeros too much. doesn't look good for next year, either way.
    I don't see the enthusiasm with all this! It just means the Saab is about Dead! IMO

V8's are not SAAB! Vauxhall's and Opels aren't Saab. GM is planning a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer for Saab. GM fired about a thousand employees in Sweden and GM put the woman who was hired to dismantle Oldsmobile in Charge of Saab.

Saab may live on somehow but it won't be same appealing and unique company anymore. The whole thing makes me sad. Volvo has NOTHING to fear. They are kicking the living you know what out of Saab sales unfortunately. With the way GM is running this division, don't expect that to change anytime soon.
    Drew
  • dmmcirvindmmcirvin Posts: 4
    I am very happy with my one week old cosmic blue swede aero wagon with the ventilation seats, on star and turbo. I hope it proves to be as durable as the '95 Volvo 850 sedan with 198K miles and the original clutch that I'm passing on to my college bound niece. Any suggestions for Nokian snow tires for CO, 15 or 16"?
  • stu15stu15 Posts: 9
    did it....2003 Saab 3.0t....white/tan. I love it.

39,975 MSRP....paid $34,975....got $6500 for my 1995 Volvo 940T Wagon with 61K miles (no leather or sunroof).

too bad they are dropping the V6 next year...the 4cyl feels rough..idles rough....sounds like a 4 cyl honda.

They have 2003 95 Linear Sedans for $30K! gorgeous cars (even though they are 4cyl). I'd take a Saab 95 over a Passat V6 any day for that money.
    Funny, I used to have a Grand Sheltie, spitting image of Lassie, only smaller. Don't know if he would have liked the Saab or not, but he never had need for a cupholder anyway!

So Saab is chucking the v6 after what, 2 years? I haven't had a problem yet, and I do love the power. You couldn't pay me to drive the 2.3 linear, I drove one as a loaner car for 2 days and couldn't stand the vibration.

Guess that makes my Saab an interesting one-time experiment.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Posts: 252
    GM needs Saab as their Euro line. They aren't going to mess with the quirkiness of Saab less they want to kill the brand. They will share platforms with Vauxhall & Opel in Europe to bring over here, and some other tech form Subaru to save costs. The Saab stylist hopefully will remain. They need and they will try to keep Saab as a premium brand.

The V8 is an evolution, particularly if they make a larger footprint model. The feature they need the most is AWD to make the most of the turbo powerplants. I do hope they come with a 300hp
    AWD 9-5 and 280Hp AWD 9-3, 250Hp AWD 9-2. I think they will to be competitive.
    Well.. the next two Saab Models are going to be:

A rebadged Chevy Trailblazer and a Rebadged Subaru.

Do you think this is NOT "killing a brand"? Add to that the fact that they have fired half the staff over at Saab in Europe. How are we to think they are serious about expanding the "Brand"?

Don't get me wrong, I want the Brand to succeed. But I was hoping they would leave the Good Stuff at Saab and fund it's growth, not take it over from Detroit.

Drew
  • skday1skday1 Posts: 13
    my last post didn't, so this is just a test
    Hi Folks- If you have any insights to offer on 2000-1 Saab 9-5 wagons, we'd appreciate your feedback in our Help me select a Wagons discussion, Post #376. Perhaps you can help snmat (Stephanie) make a decision.

And now, back to the subject of the Saab 9-5 Wagon. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
  • snmatsnmat Posts: 7
    with your 2000 or 2001 9-5 Wagons? I'm in the midst of deciding between the 9-5 and an LL Bean Subie and have gotten great advice about both. Now I'm curious what problems owners have had and how much they've cost to be fixed (if not under warranty). Btw, I've found two 9-5 Wagons, 2000, with 30,000 miles, so they'd still be under warranty at least for a bit.

And fauxpaws, if you read this, since you showed off your cute sheltie (and daughter), here's one of my "big red dogs". But no Best in Show jokes please. :-)

http://www.3lefties.com/sadie.htm

Steph