Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• stmssstmss Posts: 206
    Winter tires are the way to go with Saabs if you live anywhere near the snow. I have both winter and all seasons - winters on separate Saturn rims - cheaper than Saab.

I run the Michelin Alpins on my 01 9.5 sedan and have since new (same set). Great in snow and ice. Not a soft tire so it wears if asked to be driven on pavement. I think Michelin have been replaced with the X-ice. When I get new ones, will likely go with X-ice. Won't look around much.
  • zoozeekzoozeek Posts: 32
    Thanks much for all the advice!
  • I am debating wether to get a Saab '03 or a Subaru Outback.
    Can you tell me if Saabs need to be serviced at special shops or can most regular places do the rountine stuff, oil change, brakes, rotate and balance. I have a convienient shop I trust, but I was also wondering if service on a car like a Saab is costlier. I like what I have read so far. I just am a bit concerned about the servicing issue. :confuse:
  • ms35ms35 Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 95 wagon 2.3 liter that with 93,000 miles should I look at replacing it or keeping it. It has been somewhat dependable but in the last 3 years since it past the 60,000 mile mark I have had a few break downs. First was the ignition starter box which had to be replaced left me stranded in a parking lot. Recently had a radiator hose leak and a fuel injector sensor go bad. I also have a problem with smelling fumes in the cabin can't decide if it is my exhaust fumes or a problem with the ventilation system filter and other cars fumes. Just let me know how much more dependable it will be, I hate getting stranded
  • ms35ms35 Posts: 2
    I have a Saab 95 and have found that basic service can be done at most places that service foreign autos, but if something is actually wrong you have to find a shop that has the right equipment to service Saabs.
  • georgekgeorgek Posts: 50
    I have ordered a 2006 9-5 wagon and am awaiting delivery. The web site, the accessories catalog, two dealers' parts departments and private suppliers can't seem to agree if the 2006 wagons can use the same accessories 2005 and prior ones.

Does anyone know if the cargo track bolts for the 99-05 wagons will fit the 06? The ones for the 06 carry a separate stock number, look different and are sold invidually rather than as a set of four.
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Posts: 42
    I just sold my 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon. This was my third Saab and the first one that was not real reliable with regards to repairs. I had way too many problems for a $40,000 car. I sold it at 112,000 miles and bought a Dodge Magnum R/T AWD. I wanted a high performance wagon with AWD and Saab hasn't figured out yet how to build a 9-5 wagon with AWD. While the Aero was a great car it was severely hampered by FWD with regards to performance. The Dodge is awesome - 5.7 liter hemi w/ 340hp. It does 0-60 in 5.9 secs. And it goes anywhere in the upstate New York winter with AWD and four snows. Better winter performance than the Saab thanks to the AWD.
  • hey bro what year saturn rims will fit on the saab 9-5?
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    I don't know what year the saturn rims were for. They were for the L100 or L200 and since they were new, I suppose they were likely similar year to my car (01). The tire dealer sourced them for me (not Saab - even though the Saab dealers in Canada also sell Saturn). I think the Catera rims fits as well. The rims were half the price of Saab rims.

Note that my car is not an Aero model.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Posts: 178
    Any Saturn L Series and Cadillac Catera wheels will fit the Saab 9-5 because all three cars are based on the same chassis. The three cars are nothing alike however.

If you have an Aero or 2002 or newer 9-5 a minimum of 16" wheels are needed to clear the calipers, otherwise 15" wheels will fit. Used alloy wheels are not expensive or hard to find on places like ebay. Just search for "Saab Wheels". I have two sets and run summer only tires in the summer, and winter only tires in the winter. That way I maximize the performance for each season. All-season tires only maximize mediocrity in all seasons.

- Chad
  • lshi1lshi1 Posts: 1
    If you're thinking used - stay away from the SE V6.

Oh my gosh! Could someone explain to me why I should stay away from the SE V6? I'm currently looking at a 2001 SE V6 wagon and is about to pull the trigger. Thanks in advance!
  • bcoolbcool Posts: 59
    43/42 psi is the correct pressure for the 45 series tires on an Aero. Lower profile tires need more pressure. I received the initial same "low pressure reco" from the dealer (34 psi). Later I spoke to a Ronal Wheel sales rep. and he told me to use the higher pressures for low profile tires. I get 1.5 mpg better (20.9 vs 22.4). They wear better. And the car drives much better. They are also less likely to pinch against the rim over a manhole cover or something similar. :)
    The 9-5 was designed around the 2.3 I4. The V6 is heavier, causing the front brake pads to wear more quickly, not to mention what it does to handling. With regards to reliability , instead of one DI cassette, you have 2 to deal with. The I4 has better performance and gets better gas mileage. The I4 is a SAAB design built in Germany. The V6 is a POS GM design, built in England. GM has been forcing SAAB to stick V6's in their cars ever since they bought them. This has never been a successful initiative, but an executive mandate by mindless executive and marketing managers. In '04 SAAB finally put the I4 in the Arc. This is a beautiful car. You'll see many SE-V6 SAABS in the used car lots.
    I've always considered SAAB the superior Euro brand. Best all around designs, great performance, not to mention longevity and environmental consciousness.
  • tebeloneytebeloney Posts: 4
    Can I hear feedback from owners of the 2006? How do you like the car, the drive, the new interior look, etc?
    Are there many aftermarket products available for the 2006 yet?
    I actually like the 9-3 SportCombi, but having two kids think it may turn out to be too small.

Thanks,
    Tim
    I love mine. Compared to previous 9-5s the ride is better controlled and smoother, while the handling still is very good unless you are used to a 5 series or E class, which run $15K more than the 9-5. Before buying it I cross shopped the new Passat, V70, Subaru Legacy GT, Outback XT and the Tribeca, Mazda 6 and used 5 series and E class wagons. None had the combination of features, comfort, performance and value of the SAAB.

It has more than enough power, a quiet and roomy interior and exceptionally comfortable seats. I have a wagon without the sport package. The cargo capacity is quite a bit larger than my last wagon, a 2000 Passat, and it carries much more than my wife's XC70 where the rear drive mechanicals raise the cargo floor by 6-8".

Styling is a matter of taste. I like the new front on lighter color cars (mine is steel gray) but think it looks a bit odd on the dark ones. The interior is well fitted and mostly high quality materials except for a few pieces of cheap plastic around the shift lever and behind the door handles. The sound system is excellent, although I wish it had a cassette player.

There are a few things that I do not like, but consider them fair trade-offs in what all-in-all is a very high value package: There is very little storage space in and around the dash, especially if you want two cupholders and therefor keep the insert in the console. The front seats have front pockets that are not convenient to reach while driving, and the storage pockets in the doors are small. I would like to see some in dash cubbies or overhead storage for glasses and other small items. The sole in-dash cupholder is elegant but flimsy. Strange for a car in this class the windows are one touch down but not up. I also would like to see a fold-flat front passenger seat as in Volvo wagons.

The only major flaw, IMO is in the paddle system for the shiftable automatic transmission. You must first move the shift lever to the rear and then use the paddles to shift up and down. You then must move the shift lever forward to resume full automatic. This is awkward and inefficient, and becomes very annoying in use. Much better to control it all either with the paddles or the console lever as with the 9-3 and every other "manumatic" I have driven.

The paddles were the only thing that almost turned me away from the car, but were not annoying enough to overcome its many virtues and great value. I will never like them, but no longer grumble each time I use them.
  • tebeloneytebeloney Posts: 4
    Thanks for the detailed feedback. One of the factors leading me to this car is the manual gearbox, but everything else you mention jibes with my needs.

Thanks again!

Tim
    I considered the manual gearbox, but spend too much time driving in large cities (NY, DC and Baltimore mostly) where I prefer an automatic.
    OK, sorry for bashing the SE-V6. No real good reason to stay away from it. :)
  • ganibarganibar Posts: 2
    My 9-5 is causing me pain. It has lived to 104,000, yet it should only be at mid life yet the crisis is that the alarm system battery needs now to be replaced, the airbag system decided to whig out and the coolant system was just re charged, add to this that both fog lamps have taken the abuse of stones from the road and been knocked into uselessness and there is a hefty, none standard, maintenance facing this car. I do enjoy to drive it, but is it worth keeping or am I better off with a 2006 wagon or moving on to BMW?
    I just went through the same deal with my '92 9000. After 100M, it had alot of expensive repairs - most justifiable, some not. I was able to justify the $$ because I didn't have any car payments. The car was practical, and a lot of fun to drive. Some things were very reliable, like the AC, M-transmission, brakes and wheel allignment. Other things were not. The previous owner only changed the oil every 10,000 miles, if that. This may have caused the timing chain the break at 140M. In retrospect, I learned that it was to expensive to maintain at the dealer. The mechanics at the dealer also seemed to do rush jobs, and if they fixed one problem, they seemed to cause another. Sometimes their diagnosis was wrong and they unnecessarily replaced expensive parts. If you have a good affordable, independent SAAB mechanic, you might want to keep it. Get some grills for the fog lights. SAABnet.com (http://saabnet.com/tsn/faq/miles/) has a list of people with high and ultra-high mileage SAABs. I suppose all cars are expensive to maintain after +100M these days, even BMW's. I finally got rid of the '92 at 181M, and bought a new one.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    I had a 2002 Arc with the v-6. Engine and performance wise, I loved this car. And having driven a 4-cyl Saab a couple of times, I preferred the v-6's ride myself. Plus, the fit and finish of my Saab was spot on -- everything was solid as a rock. Best build quality and materials of any car I've ever owned. And yet, I just traded mine in, at only 45k miles, for of all things a 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Why? While I loved the performance and overall reliability of my Saab, the rumbly and somewhat noisy ride got on my nerves, and the lack of decent-sized cubbies and cupholders was annoying. I hated having to lay my cell phone and all the accompanying gadgets either on the passenger seat or on the floor. Stupid stuff like that. Plus, my service experiences in the last year weren't very good. (Only 2 dealerships in Orange County, CA.) However, I will say, the back half of the Saab, the rear seats and armrest plus the cargo area were far superior to my new jeep. However, in the front of the cabin, the jeep has all the cubbies and space I need for all my crap. Plus it's quiet and smooth. Now, will it be reliable? Well, let's just say I bought the extended warranty. While I had sort of a love-hate relationship with my Saab, I appreciated it for the quality build and performance. I've heard mixed things about the v-6, I just never had any issues with it.
    You're right. Why doesn't SAAB get with it and put 2 cup holders up front. At the same time, a little more storage for the cell phone, sun block, a large bottle of water, sun glasses, etc. How about an ipod/mp3 port too. The older SAAB's had bigger glove boxes, with multiple compartments, too. I had a '03 Grand Cherokee before this, now my wife has it. It's a different ride.
  • 2006 Saab 9-5; dealership asking 34,851 net of all incentives - what do you think - should I purchase?
    I'm not sure which model you're asking about, but it seems like they may be a little more juice to squeeze from that orange. Look to get between 20 and 30 percent off MSRP for an '06 this late in the year.
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    Get real Dude!Where do you come up with 30% off M.S.R.P.???????? LOL! Saab 9-3 Aero Conv.,M.S.R.P.@$45,000 (app.)buy in Sept '06 for what....$31,500???? RIGHT..put me down for two!!!!!
  • smu1976smu1976 Posts: 110
    The car is a year old already, if not more? Euro delivery gets you 20% off MSRP and 2K for traveling? With a MSRP of 45,500 for a 9-3, I think I would want close to 20 plus percent off or go get a 3 series BMW, which will hold its value way more than this Saab and outperform it. Depends where you live and the market. Converts hurt your negotiation, Aero's ain't what they used to be. If your in a big city with a high volume Saab dealer, your not going to get much off. Shop across the U.S., try dealers in Kansas City, Oklahoma City and they will deal and ship you the car.
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    You,of course,are entitled to your opinion.However this is not a matter of opinion.First point:Saab European delivery saves you approximately 9% off M.S.R.P.,for example '07 9-5 Sport-Combi base M.S.R.P.(U.S.A.)@$35,370.00,base M.S.R.P.(I.D.S.)@32,170.00.Second point,regardless of your opinion of the products performance or resale value,you are not going to find ANY MODEL FROM ANY MANUFACTURER that is going to have a LEGITIMATE 20% discount off of sticker....and we are not including current year corporate demos,which would have miles on them and might even have already been titled.You are expressing an opinion based on what you think you should expect,I am speaking facts.
    Put me down for two!! I guess that they can see you coming from a mile away. WC Fields has a great saying... TASBED. These numbers are just from experience. I got 31% of my last SAAB (not a convertible). Negotiated 21% off an '06 VOLVO, for my wife, last July. Dude, car prices drop so quickly these days, it doesn't make sense to buy used. Don't walk in waving $$ and your good old credit around. Squeeze 'em. BTW, I think that SAABS are the best cars around.
    Yes, of course!!! SAABS are very beautiful cars. You will enjoy it for many years.