Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    My God, where do you live that they are offering $9K off sticker? I got a measly $5k off invoice. Good but not great, but then I don't have energy or the patience to haggle. There aren't many 06's left on the planet, good luck to you! :) ">
  • rs9904rs9904 Posts: 15
    One day with my new 9-5 sportcombi. Parchment Silver, auto, roof rails. Also have a 04 9-3 and traded in my 99 9-3 with 99,500 reliable fun miles.

New car is large inside but not real big on the outside. Very smooth ride. Good fuel economy on the computer with only 55 miles on the SID. Power is excellent. More luggage capacity, fuel economy and power than it's competitors. I am happy.

anthony
  • sidvsidv Posts: 64
    Congrats Anthony. I test drove a 9-5 2.3T SportCombi this evening and am leaning toward it vs a 9-3 Aero SportCombi but it's a tough call. I have an 04 9-3 now as well so I like to hear someone with experience with both cars happy with the 9-5.
    Thanks for the advice. I test drove one tonight without the roof rails and it wasn't noisy but then the freeway wasn't close enough to get to from that dealer. The car seemed fairly quiet, certainly engine noise isn't a problem. Forgot to open the windows though, I'll need to get another test in before committing I guess.
    Don't know where everyone went but I guess I'll talk to myself. Took delivery of a new 9-5 2.3T SC a little over a month ago and overall am quite happy with it but have already had a couple of issues. Remote key fob had to be replaced but still the keyless entry system gets confused and inoperative for short periods. Not bad enough to bother going to the dealer for yet another time. Much worse, the check engine light went on the first week and car began driving poorly. This was fairly quickly rectified and so far the dealer has been very good.

Other than that, I like the car itself quite a bit, the engine at cold idle could be smoother considering what it costs and the stereo is just so-so, but those are really my only complaints. The brake pedal has taken some getting used to-more effort required than other cars I've recently had but it's become second nature by now.

I've found it to be a very comfortable, roomy, practical yet fun car with a great balance between utility and sport. Very little turbo lag, especially compared to my previous 9-3 2.0T. It is an excellent highway car for comfortable longer trips and has unique looks which I happen to really like.
    I check here often but it seems that most Saab owners are on more specific Saab only sites rather than Edmunds. I am not a fan of these very specific forums that Edmunds has created. I liked the larger more inclusive format better.

My car has been very reliable so far (only 1700 miles.) I agree cold idle is a bit rough. Brake pedal I have gotten used to as well (Had 99 9-3 wife has 04 Linear.)I think that the stereo is fantastic with very good sound and easy use.

Gas is great on highway 30+ and city 20+. Tranny is smooth, seats comfy so far, and is easy to load when using hatch area. Just got windows tinted on my 06 Sportcombi (Parchment Silver) and it looks great as well. Wheels are very nice with much reduced brake dust. Overall I am pleased so far and planto keep well over 10 years.

Anthony
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Um, we've got the "larger, more inclusive formats" right here in this 9-5 group... :confuse:
    I think maybe what he means is that there are 7 sub-forums under the 9-5 alone and no single 9-5 forum that encompasses all 9-5 related subjects.
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    Took delivery of my '06 9-5 sedan in late March of 2006.Had cold start,rough idle problem initially.My service manager gave me a can of some sort of injector cleaner and that was the last of the problem!Coming up on 9,000 miles of zero problems otherwise.
  • I also have '06 9-5 sedan. Purchased as a demo, now have 8,000 + miles. Very slight rough idle at cold start, but it's gone in 30 seconds. IMO, the 2.3T has more "roughness" to it than many V6's with the same power - but I really like the character of it. I had a loaner Acura TL and the engine was as smooth as butter - and about exciting as a stick of butter too! I was bored by the end of the day.

For the record, I also have zero problems to report for the 9-5!
  • Bringing in my 2001 9-5 SE wagon (V6)for 60k maintainence and the local dealer suggested I do a belt tensioner along with the new timing belts. The timing belts he claims are factory warranty but the tensioner will set me back about $500 along with the nearly $600 service bill for the routine maintenance. Is this a load of stuff or should I just suck it up and pay for the tensioner to avoid having to do this again in a few years?
  • My dealer is offering me a new 2006 9-5 wagon with sports package for $29,850 before tax title and license. It is all black and has 20 miles on it before I test drove it today. Is this a good deal? I like the way it handles but am a little concerned about size (adjusting from a mini-van). What is in the sports package?
  • My 2006 9-5 Sedan has the exact same problem. I have taken it to the dealer twice now and I cannot get them to acknoledge the popping sound. They examine the car and explain that it is functioning normally. How were you able to convince them that there was something wrong with the steering/suspension?
  • I'd do it if I were you. My tensioner just broke on my 1999 9-3, and it destroyed and melted the belt into other engine components. It cost me $1,200 to fix. My mechanic told me he saw the exact same thing last week on another 2000 Saab. So it's possible your dealer is silently saying "um, we have a problem with tensioners, and we recommend you replace yours before it burns out on you."
  • saabs suck, their is no need to have that company. That is what Cadillac is for for GM.
  • I have 2000 95 wagon/ with 57,000 miles on it. Bought it new.

From day one I have had the worst service. First in FT. Lauderdale and now in Gainesville Fl.

I do not trust any of the saab dealerships.

After 40,000 miles things start happening with the car.

Going back to Volvo.
  • folks,
    I've got a 2004 Aero 9-5 Wagon that has about 18 months to go on a 4 year lease. So far, unlike my prior Saabs, this car has been flawless. My question is, what should I do as far as the lease goes. If I keep driving at the present rate, I'll be at 62000 miles on a 48,000 lease. Also, my warranty is up at 50k too if I'm not mistaken.

Should I try to get out now? Consider an extended warranty and try keeping it next year? Its about $10k upside down at this point. Thanks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I suggest you cross post this in Saab 9-5 Lease Questions while you're waiting for some feedback here.
  • Hey Dallas, I was looking to replace my wife's 00 exploder and came across the Saab site listing the huge rebates on the 06's. Long story short drove the 9-5 combi and fell in love. Steel Gray with parchment. It has Onstar, Auto Trans, and the ventilated seats(which will be nice when the summer temps are 110+) what a ride. Dealer sticker with dark tint(AZ), paint protection, wheel and tire road hazzard protection,roadside assistance and free scheduled maintenance for 3yr./36/mo and some other bs:$43,300. after using the 8,000 refund and the GM supplier discount we were down to 31k and change they offered 4g for the '00 explorer w110k on it and really bad paint. so we were at 27k and change and I said I would pay 24,900 plus ttl. they said ok!! makes me wish I offered 23,900 LOL. I love the wagon oops combi. Lots of cargo room in back, very quick car. This is my first Saab and I am very impressed so far. My only knock on it is the lack of storage and cupholders in the cockpit.
  • Hi
    I have a question for everyone. Right now I'm looking at two nearly identical 9-5 wagons. They're both two owner cars and both black with tan leather interiors. One is a 1999 with the 2.3 liter four and 70,830 miles, and the other is a 2000 SE with the 3.0 liter six and 69,550 miles. They're even both at the same dealership. The '99 2.3t is $7200, and the '00 SE-V6 is $7600. Should I spend the extra $400 and get the extra power of the V6, or save it and go with the more economical yet still powerful 2.3t?
    I have a 50 mile commute every day which is 85% highway and 15% city, so gas mileage is important to me. I'd like the extra power of the V6 but I'm worried about reliability issues (I'm a college student and can't afford an unreliable vehicle) and one of my friend's parents have two 9-5's with the 2.3t (an '02 Arc sedan and an '04 Arc wagon) and they love them. I'm kinda leaning toward the 2.3t, but which one do you think should I go for?
  • I have a 2001 SE wagon with the V6 and am the second owner. With 60K miles on it, the turbo was replaced under warranty along with a host of other small niggling problems. I love the car as it offers performance, comfort, and room along with good all weather handling (4WD is hugely overrated IMHO)and I can pick out my car in a parking lot. Would it be a great car for a student on a budget? HELL NO! You need a used Camry wagon that you can bring to any independant car repair place and get cheap parts and cheap service along with a 200K+ lifespan.
  • mrskkbmrskkb Posts: 3
    I agree. Unless you get an extended warranty.

Seems the ABS goes awry at around 75,000 miles.

This car will nickel and dime you.
    The extra power is the difference between 185HP for the 2.3T 4CYL./207LB.FT of torque and 200HP/227LB.FT of torque for the 3.0 V-6.This kind of a difference should not have much of an influence in your decision.I think virtually 100% of Saab Techs would recommend the 2.3T...It is a real workhorse engine and clearly superior to the V-6 which is an engine made by Vauxhall in England and Modified by Saab.
  • Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking I'll go with the 2.3t based upon reccomendations from here and the reccomendations of friends who have owned both iterations. Seems like unless you have a fat wallet, the V6 is not worth the extra hassle due to its reliability problems.
    Several of my friends have owned 2.3t's and have literally run the wheels off them with little more than routine maintenance.
    And for the record, masaab, I hate Camry's and Toyota's in general, their styling leaves me yawning. And besides they last manufactured Camry wagons 11 years ago, so they're getting very hard to find, and usually they have about 170k to 200k when you do see one on a rare occasion. I don't want a car with THAT many miles.
    I'm one of those people who believes the car you drive says everything about your personality, and the 9-5 pretty much embodies me: subtle yet stylish, a little offbeat and thouroughly quirky, both practical and fun at the same time.
    I've contacted the dealer and hope to take a test drive next week.
  • Hello,

My SAAB 2005 9-5 Sport wagon has a SID unit that has failed a total of six times. The car has spent more time at the dealer than at my garage. It had to have a new engine after only six weeks of ownership as the freeze plug blew and the engine was starved of oil.
    The engine seems fine now, but the SID unit failure is a pain in the butt. Any suggestions? :lemon:
    Mark Merchant
    My suggestion would be call the service manager and point out to him what should have been obvious to any tech.... it's very highly unlikely that they have installed 6 consecutive faulty SID(Saab information display)units.They are treating the symptom...not the problem.Something earlier in the electrical circuit is causing the unit to fail and until that problem is isolated you'll probably continue to have failures.
  • Thank you for your reply. The service manager really has been diligent and last time kept my car for ten days. They literally looked at every inch of wiring in the car and nothing shows up as faulty. He told me today it may be a voltage surge. I will let you know the outcome.
    Thanks,

Mark
  • If it hasn't happened yet, be prepared. The message you are receiving is LUCKY. My battery grew weak without setting off any warnings, so at 4 a.m. the alarm sounded, waking up households. I had to drive the car out of the area because it would not shut off until I'd run the car for awhile.

On my 1999, I was told that the 'brain' of the alarm, like a home fire alarm, has it's own battery - which eventually gets low & requires a pricey replacement (labor, not part!) Anyway, my vehicle skipped a step, and went straight to screech mode in order to let me know. Initially, was told by nearby gas station that was a 'fluke.' But, when happened few weeks later and my landlord invited me to get a new car or a new residence - it needed to be fixed.

Hope your issue resolved. If not, fun ahead...
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    I've had my 06 9-5 sportcombi for about 4 months now and overall I like it fine. It's my second -- I had an 02 arc wagon with the v6 before. Overall, I'd say my 06 4-cyl drives and steers more smoothly than my old v6, so that's an improvement. And also, the center console instruments have been greatly simplified, and that's nice, too. What I don't like is that I couldn't get the cooling seat fans without buying the sport pkg. (overstuffed seats and lowered suspension), so I'll be missing those in the summer. And I bought one w/out the roof rails, which was my mistake. I think the wagons just look better, a little beefier with the rails, and you have a bit more utility. But I'll live. The biggest change, though, is the cheaper harder plastic used in the cabin and the various rattles and vibrations that come with it. I drove two 06's and they both had significant rattles -- I bought the one that had the least rattles, though mine is something behind the instrument cluster and I don't know how they're going to fix it -- guess I'll find out at my 5,000 servicing. Oh, I did have to have my airbag sensors replaced about 2 months in -- sensor started going off out of nowhere. It was covered under warranty. I'll end on a positive note -- my dealer in Santa Ana, CA now has lots of loaner cars, and they didn't used to. I always had to rent a car. They use their 9-7's (you know, the ones nobody is buying) as loaners. Don't know how long I'll have this Saab, we'll see. It's very pleasant to drive, even with the stupid rattle, and gets such great gas mileage I forget to go to the gas station! Eventually, I'm going to want more room for cups and cell phones and all the accoutrements we Americans must have when we drive! But maybe I'll wait til my son is a teenager!
    About 4 months 4,000 miles with my 06 sportcombi. Gets great highway mileage and ok city when warmed up. Powerful and comfortable. Only complaint so far is a speaker cover that pops out on the dash and a rattle behind the instrument panel. Both need to be fixed. I do have roof rails and used them once so far to put on a kayak.

Happy so far. 3rd Saab. (99 9-3 100k then trade for this one, 04 linear 30k.

Anthony