Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,459
    am i wrong, or is the hk stereo now optional too(or not at all)?
    have an '01 se wagon (3 year lease). v6 discontinued, '04 decontented. linears too little, aeros too much. doesn't look good for next year, either way.
  • dskidski Posts: 414
    I don't see the enthusiasm with all this! It just means the Saab is about Dead! IMO

V8's are not SAAB! Vauxhall's and Opels aren't Saab. GM is planning a rebadged Chevy Trailblazer for Saab. GM fired about a thousand employees in Sweden and GM put the woman who was hired to dismantle Oldsmobile in Charge of Saab.

Saab may live on somehow but it won't be same appealing and unique company anymore. The whole thing makes me sad. Volvo has NOTHING to fear. They are kicking the living you know what out of Saab sales unfortunately. With the way GM is running this division, don't expect that to change anytime soon.
    Drew
  • dmmcirvindmmcirvin Posts: 4
    I am very happy with my one week old cosmic blue swede aero wagon with the ventilation seats, on star and turbo. I hope it proves to be as durable as the '95 Volvo 850 sedan with 198K miles and the original clutch that I'm passing on to my college bound niece. Any suggestions for Nokian snow tires for CO, 15 or 16"?
  • stu15stu15 Posts: 9
    did it....2003 Saab 3.0t....white/tan. I love it.

39,975 MSRP....paid $34,975....got $6500 for my 1995 Volvo 940T Wagon with 61K miles (no leather or sunroof).

too bad they are dropping the V6 next year...the 4cyl feels rough..idles rough....sounds like a 4 cyl honda.

They have 2003 95 Linear Sedans for $30K! gorgeous cars (even though they are 4cyl). I'd take a Saab 95 over a Passat V6 any day for that money.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    Funny, I used to have a Grand Sheltie, spitting image of Lassie, only smaller. Don't know if he would have liked the Saab or not, but he never had need for a cupholder anyway!

So Saab is chucking the v6 after what, 2 years? I haven't had a problem yet, and I do love the power. You couldn't pay me to drive the 2.3 linear, I drove one as a loaner car for 2 days and couldn't stand the vibration.

Guess that makes my Saab an interesting one-time experiment.
  • buddhabmanbuddhabman Posts: 252
    GM needs Saab as their Euro line. They aren't going to mess with the quirkiness of Saab less they want to kill the brand. They will share platforms with Vauxhall & Opel in Europe to bring over here, and some other tech form Subaru to save costs. The Saab stylist hopefully will remain. They need and they will try to keep Saab as a premium brand.

The V8 is an evolution, particularly if they make a larger footprint model. The feature they need the most is AWD to make the most of the turbo powerplants. I do hope they come with a 300hp
    AWD 9-5 and 280Hp AWD 9-3, 250Hp AWD 9-2. I think they will to be competitive.
    Well.. the next two Saab Models are going to be:

A rebadged Chevy Trailblazer and a Rebadged Subaru.

Do you think this is NOT "killing a brand"? Add to that the fact that they have fired half the staff over at Saab in Europe. How are we to think they are serious about expanding the "Brand"?

Don't get me wrong, I want the Brand to succeed. But I was hoping they would leave the Good Stuff at Saab and fund it's growth, not take it over from Detroit.

Drew
  • skday1skday1 Posts: 13
    my last post didn't, so this is just a test
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks- If you have any insights to offer on 2000-1 Saab 9-5 wagons, we'd appreciate your feedback in our Help me select a Wagons discussion, Post #376. Perhaps you can help snmat (Stephanie) make a decision.

And now, back to the subject of the Saab 9-5 Wagon. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • snmatsnmat Posts: 7
    with your 2000 or 2001 9-5 Wagons? I'm in the midst of deciding between the 9-5 and an LL Bean Subie and have gotten great advice about both. Now I'm curious what problems owners have had and how much they've cost to be fixed (if not under warranty). Btw, I've found two 9-5 Wagons, 2000, with 30,000 miles, so they'd still be under warranty at least for a bit.

And fauxpaws, if you read this, since you showed off your cute sheltie (and daughter), here's one of my "big red dogs". But no Best in Show jokes please. :-)

http://www.3lefties.com/sadie.htm

Steph
  • I have noticed recently that often when I stop behind another car, my 2001 Saab 95 wagon picks up exhaust smell from the car in front. I took my car to my dealer, but they said that there was nothing wrong with my car's exhaust system or air conditioner. This problem doesn't happen all the time, and it happens in the country rather than the city, where you would expect some exhaust to make it through the AC filter.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this problem?
    The 9-5 has a Great feature you can program into the ACC system. I'm not sure of the procedure but you can program it so that when you come to a Stop, the Ventilation system automatically goes into Recirculation Mode to avoid just the problem your having. After you start back up, the system goes back to fresh air circulation.

If your system isn't already set like this, I'm shocked that your dealer didn't explain and program it for you. It should be in your manual and I'd point it out to the dealer as something he SHOULD have known!

Good Luck
    Drew
    our saab 9-5 se had a bad smell at times. it turned out to be the maf or map sensor. the kids said the car used to 'fart'. is it always the same smell?
    it wasn't fixed until some kind of warning light went on. i would guess they needed the code to fix it.
    btw, it started after the service department tried to fix another engine related problem (a leak).
  • mjwillsmjwills Posts: 46
    What is included in the scheduled maintenance? Does it include oil changes? My 9-3 vector includes this, but I was wondering on a lease of a 9-5 wagon.

Also are there any rebates on this car? Do they apply to leases?
    it's 3yrs/36k, so basically 10, 20, 30k.
    i get the oil changed on my own on the 5's too.
    you can try this site or saabusa for some info on rebates, etc.
    mjwills- Here's a direct link to Edmunds' Incentives & Rebates section. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

explorerx4- Thanks for your feedback/help in this discussion. ;-)

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
    just trying to share my experiences.
    alhough i'm not the primary driver, imho the 9-5 is a good looking, easy to live with vehicle.
    have had some issues, but overall we like it.
    like the no extra charge 30k maint, but had to pay about $300 for new front rotors and pads. actually the rotors were comp'd, but had to pay for the labor portion. based on the amount of dust the brakes produced and the fact the the traction control system probably uses the brakes too, i wasn't too suprised, though.
    will have to decide in about 6 months or so weather to buy it, or turn it in.
    not too many vehicles have heated rear seats, so i have to factor in the kids complaining by switching to something else.
  • Took delivery of a brand new 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon on october 2nd (my birthday!). End of year deals were great and I got mine for around $38,000. Expensive you say?!? Forgot to mention those are CAD dollars (around $US27,000), including premium and Touring package. I substracted another $2,000 from my GM card for an extremely sweet deal!

After having owned a Volvo 850 wagon and a V70 wagon (both non-turbo), I am still getting used to this car and cannot say that I absolutely love my Saab.

What I do like:

- A lot more sporty and impressive in acceleration than my old Volvos;
    - the Saab is, I find, a far better long distance
    cruiser, and is also a lot more stable at high speeds. My wife would often wake up when I reached 130-135 Km/h (was it the sound or the vibrations?) in the Volvos. I made it to 160 Km/h in the Saab during a week-end trip to Ottawa and even I couldn't tell (Cinderella and the kids just kept on sleeping...).
    - Xenon headlights. I know they will make a huge difference in the quality of nighttime driving. They are great!

What I don't like:
    - The sound system. While I have the Premium system (200 watts, 9 speakers), I am very disapointed by the high-pitched nature of this system. Its almost as if it has no base... Someone told me not to compare to the Volvo radio since it is sourced from Kenwood and is of course of better quality than the Harmon-Kardon!?! I find that hard to believe. Will ask my dealer to look into it.

- After 700 miles on it, I still cannot adjust my seat to the comfort level of my Volvo. The Saab's is harder, has less side bolstering and I find myself continuously micro-adjusting the electric controls in hope of finding just the right spot. The sore spot is the kidney area.

- The numbers seem to indicate that the storage area of the 9-5 and the V70 are similar. While that maybe true, i find that the 9-5 is narrower at the top than the v70. This shows up as the swivvel(!?!) part of the baby seat, when at the top, now intrudes into my rear view mirror view! When it is up, the swivvel now touches around the top of the C-pillar and intrudes inward.

The real test will be over next summer holidays. ( I do have the Thule Advanturer Box to supplement space)

- The xenon headlights!!! One is already not working on high beams (stays on low beam...).

Not enough to say Yeah or Nay at this point, but i do like the looks of the car.

One question though.

The xenon headlights have a pair of accompanying side halogen lights that seem to be operative in Europe (they work in tandem on high beams - both xenon and halogen). It seems that Transport Canada has required that they be disactivated for security reasons ( not mine it looks like!).

Anyone know how I can reactivate the halogen lamps? (Let Transport Canada find out if they can). Besides, i do plan to be respective of other drivers. Living in Montreal and often driving long distances at night, I would like to "get my moneys worth"

Thx for the help!
    on your new 2003 9-5 Linear Wagon! Thanks for sharing all the details. We look forward to your future notes.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons