Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• The buyout for my '99 9-5 base model was $21,000. Chase was willing to come down $1000, which was probably the expense of taking the car back and getiting it to auction. I leased another one, this time from Saab Financial - much lower purchase at lease end. At 50,000 miles you may get tagged for the excessive wear in addition to the .20 per mile. Do the math and see how much the penalty would be - then figure out the purchase price. remember to subtract the mileage penalty from the agreed upon price. Also remember that you are buying a 50,000 mile vehicle, and not a trouble free new one! Donn
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,456
    the tire pressures could have had an effect on what you felt during your test drive.
    uneven tire pressure can result in pullng to the side. too high can make a lot of noise.
    check the tread on the tires as compared to new ones. you want as much as possible.
    at least the converter was replaced after to 'fuel injection'. their problems are probably related. in our wagon, you can actually hear the gas slosh around, 'feel it' too. i don't drive it on a regular basis, and don't experience it all the time, but if it happens between 3/4 and 1/2 a tank, that may be why. the clunk might also be related to the wheel bearing replacement.
    i would think even certified cars are negotiable.
    you should still get the cert car checked out before you buy.
  • Thanks for all the great advice regarding the 2001 SE V6 Wagon. I am leaning toward buying my current vehicle since I know the repair history and it is in good shape. I would probably keep it another 4-5 years. What do people think about buying the Saab/GM extended warranty? The cost is $1700 for 3yrs/36,000 miles or $1950 for 3yrs/45,000 miles. How have Saab's held up once they get past 50K miles?
  • Curious to know if anyone has made any mods on there 9-5 Saabs. I am interested in stiffer shocks and steel braided brake lines. Has anyone used Abbott Racing, Hirsch or Nordic parts?
  • My car has excessive vibration at 70 MPH. Dealer has rebalanced tires twice. No improvement. anyone with similar problem or advice appreciated.
  • What wheels, front I am assuming. How many miles on the tires. Suffering from excessive wear maybe? Have you had a 4 wheel alignment and/or tire rotation.
  • Looking for feedback on buying a 2001 Saab 9-5 SE wagon from my local Volvo dealer (who apparently doesn't want a competing Swede on his lot). The car has 39,000 miles on it and appears gently used - only concern is a CarFax report showing it titled as a rental for its first 2000 miles prior to being titled to a private party (possibly a service loaner?). The dealer is currently down to $15,600 for the car. Is this as good a deal as it seems or am I missing something about this particular car or Saabs in general? I'd like to buy and drive this wagon to 100K+. Any thoughts or troublespots with Saabs (V6?) that I should be aware of before I write a check? Thanks in advance to all who respond to my plea for help!
  • Will they let you take it to a local SAAB dealership for a checkup?. .
  • catk9catk9 Posts: 1
    Won't try to help regarding CarFax or mechanical questions but I can tell you that I'm also a first time Saab owner. I bought a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon with 39,000 miles on it from a private party for $23,500 in December 03. I'm not sure if that was a great deal but it is the top of the line model, appeared to be in excellent condition and the exact color I was looking for so couldn't pass it up. $15,600 sounds like a great deal to me as long as that title thing doesn't turn out to be an issue. I could not be more happy with my new, used car. I'm an ex-SUV person and not missing it at all. Good luck!
  • Coming off lease – buy-out or new car? If anyone has the patience to read this we’d really appreciate your advice. Here is our situation: Coming off a 3 year lease of 2001 9.5 SE V-6 wagon; a little over one month away from lease end. Buy out figure is: $20,075. Car is in good condition. The Edmunds on-line used car appraiser listed the private party sale of the car at $18,453; dealer retail at $20,436 and dealer certified used vehicle at $21,516.

We have heard that Saab does not negotiate on buy-outs, although we have read isolated accounts of knocking off $1,300 in last 48 hours before the lease ended, and one person said Saab was willing to extend the 4-year warranty to 7 years. (Saab Financial has told us they will do nothing for us at all.)

It seems to us that the SE/Arc model has not changed much in three years, altho some things we like have been eliminated: V-6 engine and standard Onstar installation (optional installation is $700). In favor of buying: Little change in model. Already eaten 3 years depreciation. Car is a known quantity. Some things we like no longer offered. Avoid turn in penalties of $1,383 (At 36,000 mileage -- 6,000 over mileage @ .20 = $1,200; and Saab Financial inspection assessed excess wear and tear at $183.) We don’t know whether our repair history is a pro or con in terms of buying the car at lease-end: minor roof leak at the outset; rear brakes at 25,000 miles; catalytic converter at 32,000; oil leak at 32,000; split axle boot at 32,000; the biggie is that the transmission was replaced at 30,000.

While we were considering all this, the dealer called and offered us: no last month payment of $443, and a sale price for the 2004 Arc wagon (including auto. transmission & premium package) of $32,650. Specific questions: Does Saab negotiate lease buy-outs at all (reduce price, extend warranty)? Why did Saab eliminate SE V-6? Will we feel the lack of V-6 with the 2004 Arc (power, acceleration)? Are we correct in thinking there have been no major improvements to the 9-5 SE/Arc wagon in 3 years (since 2001 model)? Is transmission replacement a pro or con for buying out lease? Once Saab has done the end of lease inspection – assuming nothing else has happened to the car, can they assess higher excess wear and tear figure? Thanks for answers to any questions.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,456
    we have a lot in common. have 3 lease payments left on our '01 se wagon. the major powertrain differences with a new arc are a 4cyl engine, requiring premium fuel, and a 5 speed auto transmission. also lacks heated rear seats(which we liked), and onstar optional, as you mentioned.
    our car has been pretty good, sid was replaced, chronic oil leak, that was evenually fixed for good (although they pulled the engine looking for it). brakes replaced at 30k(paid for pads and labor, dics were comped). car has been in a couple of collisions, though(no sheet metal replaced).
    what kind of things did they write up as excess wear and tear?
    our dealer called last thursday offering a 3 month early turn in program. btw a 4k incentive expired last monday. did you get a $500 saving certificate?
  • Reading the above two posts indicates to me that someone who leases a SAAB probably has a lot more options and incentives from SAAB after three years, than a buyer.
  • dskidski Posts: 414
    From what you've described, it sounds to me like you have had plenty of things go wrong with this car. In 30,000 miles we havent had any problems. I am suspicious of a small electrical bug that is showing up now though.

If we end up with a repair history like yours, I will not be entertaining the idea of buying off lease. I certainly would not pay over the Edmunds Used car quote. I honestly belive you could be looking at an expensive repair future.

FWIW.. the V6 was dropped because of poor sales. I am not a fan of it and think it will prove to be an expensive engine to maintain in the long run. I think Saab is realizing this as well. There is at least one fan here of the V6 but not me. I can't prove or disprove my position but the dropping decision suggests I have a valid concern IMO.

Good Luck
    Drew
  • Hi again:

Well it's been nine months since I purchased my 1999 9-5 wagon. The wagon had 90,000 km. on it at that time. The car is great and has been a delight even through this tough winter we're having in southern Ontario - it is winter and it is Canada! Do not have snows on it but perhaps before next winter will think on it. The Saab seems a bit lower than my Sable wagon. The tracs and ABS have been a real help on the slippery days and the front and rear heated seats a real comfort! Had one headlight replaced already and now need the other replaced at next oil change (soon). Timing belt was changed in summer when it had its large (read $$$) checkup. Saab dealer seems pretty good. I try to keep this black baby clean of salt and etc. but it's tough!

Will check back from time to time!
  • A 2001 Saab 9-5 wagon is on my list to replace my 1996 Camry DX sedan. Can anyone offer insights into reliability, utility and maintenance cost? Also, whether the 6 cyl is preferable to the 4 cyl? Thanks.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    So you too went from a Sable to a Saab. Did you have trouble adjust to the total lack of storage space in the Saab, compared to the Sable? I've never fallen in love with my Saab because of it, especially on family trips when the car is packed. But it's been so reliable and handles so well, apart from the rather "unsettled" ride style. Just curious.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    As my post above, I bought a Saab because of its rep for reliability. Have a 2002 Arc wagon with the v6. While i've never been in love with the car due to the lack of storage space and the rougher ride (compared do my 2000 sable wagon), it has proven quite reliable. Had a coolant leak early on, they had to tear the engine apart for 3 days to get to it, but once the dealership fixed, it never was a problem again, and it's the only problem I've had. The battery light goes on in cold weather for some reason, but goes out after a couple of minutes, and I'm told it's just a Saab thing by a few different people. As for the v6 vs the 4 banger, you couldn't pay me to own a 4 cylinder. I drove a linear sedan as a loaner for a few days and to me it drives like a truck compared to the v6. Saab's aren't smooth rides to begin with but the vibration in the 4 was awful (to me.) The v6 may be expensive to maintain once the warranty is up, but I like the performance. So there ya go.
  • Regarding the SFSC inspection of our 2001 9-5 SE Wagon, we may have gotten lucky. There were several scratches and dents (though nothing major), but the exterior was pretty dirty from city snow conditions, and we were only assessed $183 for a 2-3" square dent/scrape -- a fair assessment in my opinion. Incidentally, we were told by our dealer that the parts & labor assessed for such damage tended to be less than what one might spend oneself.

We decided to return the 2001 SE, paying the disposition fee, repair assessment and over-mileage charge, and purchased a 2004 9-5 Arc Wagon. As of Feb. 13, 2004 in NYC, the $4500 manufacturer incentive and the $500 customer loyalty incentive were both available. Our final price was $32,150 ($35,100 with taxes & fees).

I should also mention that by turning in the leased 2001 and taking delivery of the 2004 by the day before our last payment was due, we also saved the last lease payment of $443. We should be getting a final bill from SFSC showing the repair bill, disposition fee + tax, and the over-mileage fee, less the amount of the last payment (we had already sent the check away before we decided to buy in a hurry). This forced us to settle for what the dealer had in stock, but he had a Grey Arc with automatic transm. & premium package, and that is pretty much all we wanted.

After a week, I would say we are satisfied with the 2004 Arc. It handles the same as the 2001 V6, handles lighter and seems to have as much or more pickup. The interior leather seems less luxurious, the grey interior color is a bit lighter, the steering wheel wrap is thinner, and there are no heated rear seats. This and the lack of included OnStar (now $700 as an optional install on the Linear & Arc) may be what's keeping the price of the car down. We probably won't miss OnStar, because they were never able to diagnose a problem or open car doors owing to Saab proprietary policies or something, and the built-in voice activation cell phone was very cumbersome to use (though it was hands free).
  • dskidski Posts: 414
    I'm late with this response but .. oh well.

The v6 was dropped for obvious reasons. They didn't sell well and the i4 is just a better engine. At least compared to the V6 Saab had. It will be expensive as it ages.

Saabs I4 is a great engine. The reason someone described it as a Truck like is due to the fact that at idle it is not as smooth as the V6 and even other i4's. The reason is because Saab has alot of hp in this small engine as compared to other i4's... Its simply a trade off. If a rougher idle when sitting at stop lights bothers you, don't get the i4 unless it's a 5 or 6 speed that will be in neural at idle.

IMO.. avoid the v6 unless you'll have a warranty during the life of your ownership. Actually, Saabs are expensive in any form after warranty. ;) We're on our 3rd Saab.

Drew
  • sfsaabsfsaab Posts: 1
    I've had 4 Saabs. Two years ago, I had a V6 loaner from the dealer. I was shocked at how loud and course it seemed next to the I-4. Now I own an SE Wagon (V6), and I have grown to like it. Definitely a different personality than the I-4. I always assumed they dropped the V6 to cut on production costs - one engine is easier to develop than two? In 1994 I was disappointed that Saab introduced V6s. However, I think they'll reintroduce them as the model lineup grows. GM must have a lot of V6s to choose from. My Volvo-owning neighbor recently commented on my "Swedish GM." I thought to myself: "better than a Swedish Ford."