Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• ort11ort11 Posts: 4
    Hi: I read the first few notes and did not read the next 900, so here are my 2 cents worth.

1) The 9000 v6 GM engines requierd a timing belt change every 30k. Believe me, I had one and yes, the belt failed inbetween changes = pretty blady damaged engine.

2) The 9-5 v6 recommends changes every 60k, and they are not 100% free changes. I think they cover the belt itself. There is also some rumors about issues with the timing belt idler pullys, etc. that dealers try and get you to do and then add on big dollars.

Being an avid Saab owner, I will NEVER purchase a GM v6 engine in a Saab again. The v4's are PLENTY and I wish now that I would not have purchased a v6 2001 9-5 wagon. I might sell it and find a used v4.

Don't get me started on the envoy platform for the Saab SUVs (why oh wy aab SUVs?).

Thanks
  • geojoegeojoe Posts: 2
    My Saab 9-5, year 2000 has amind of it's own exactly like the Saab owner in Saab message no. 1968. After driving for a while then turning off the motor, it randomly will not start for about 15 or more minutes. Then when its ready it starts. The Saab dealer says when you have the problem, bring it in...duh! Any help out there?
  • As a recent buyer of a 2001 9-5SE wagon with 47000 miles, I noticed there appear to be heating elements on each of the two rear quarter windows. Do those supposedly operate when the rear window defroster is acivated or are there separate controls? Also, what activates the wipers on the headlights? Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I love the car so far. Great in the snow and comfortable.
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    Don't know about the window defrosters, suspect they would be on the same control. The headlight wipers are activated with front windshield washer (ie assumes the headlights are dirty when the windshield is - likely good assumption)
  • I had the same car, same problem....I recently traded it in frustration.

Eventually car would not restart - ignition cassette burned up - this is a pending recall from Saab, supposedly later in 06, so if it happens to you get Saab to pay for it ($500)as I did.
    Then it happened again - shop found ignition sensor was bad - replaced ($300) on me.
    Then reason it went bad was a coolant leak damaged the sensor.....I got rid of the car....good luck.
  • zoozeekzoozeek Posts: 32
    I have a 2005 9-5 Arc Wagon and am utterly confused by the owner's manual as well as several "Saab service advisors" from different dealerships regarding proper tire pressure. The manual first states, "Look on driver's door jam," which lists 42/39 psi front rear; then the manual lists 33/32 psi for light load and 36/35 psi for heavy load on the last page. One advisor recommends 36 all around, another recommends 42 all around, and a third said to read the owner's manual. What's the correct pressure?
  • joeshanjoeshan Posts: 70
    NEVER exceed the maximum pressure as listed on the sidewalls of the tires themselve. 42 all around? They'd probably blow up in the summertime.
  • I have a 2003 9-5 Aero wagon. I put 40psi in all around
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    I personally keep my arc wagon at 35psi up front, and around 32psi in the back. whenever I'm at the dealer, they push it up to around 40psi. It drives much harsher then, and in the summer, that would be too much pressure in hot weather. I drive with pretty light loads in mostly city driving.
  • goa2bgoa2b Posts: 1
    Purchased Bridgestone all season tires fall '05, disappointed with performance on snow,slush and winter conditions. First winter as SAAB owner-is it common to use winter tires or all season? What brand recommended and sizing? Tire rack recmnds Michelin X-Ice any experience to share appreciated. Wagon is 2001 9-5 SE 3.0t FWD.
    Winter tires are the way to go with Saabs if you live anywhere near the snow. I have both winter and all seasons - winters on separate Saturn rims - cheaper than Saab.

I run the Michelin Alpins on my 01 9.5 sedan and have since new (same set). Great in snow and ice. Not a soft tire so it wears if asked to be driven on pavement. I think Michelin have been replaced with the X-ice. When I get new ones, will likely go with X-ice. Won't look around much.
  • zoozeekzoozeek Posts: 32
    Thanks much for all the advice!
  • I am debating wether to get a Saab '03 or a Subaru Outback.
    Can you tell me if Saabs need to be serviced at special shops or can most regular places do the rountine stuff, oil change, brakes, rotate and balance. I have a convienient shop I trust, but I was also wondering if service on a car like a Saab is costlier. I like what I have read so far. I just am a bit concerned about the servicing issue. :confuse:
  • ms35ms35 Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 95 wagon 2.3 liter that with 93,000 miles should I look at replacing it or keeping it. It has been somewhat dependable but in the last 3 years since it past the 60,000 mile mark I have had a few break downs. First was the ignition starter box which had to be replaced left me stranded in a parking lot. Recently had a radiator hose leak and a fuel injector sensor go bad. I also have a problem with smelling fumes in the cabin can't decide if it is my exhaust fumes or a problem with the ventilation system filter and other cars fumes. Just let me know how much more dependable it will be, I hate getting stranded
  • ms35ms35 Posts: 2
    I have a Saab 95 and have found that basic service can be done at most places that service foreign autos, but if something is actually wrong you have to find a shop that has the right equipment to service Saabs.
  • georgekgeorgek Posts: 50
    I have ordered a 2006 9-5 wagon and am awaiting delivery. The web site, the accessories catalog, two dealers' parts departments and private suppliers can't seem to agree if the 2006 wagons can use the same accessories 2005 and prior ones.

Does anyone know if the cargo track bolts for the 99-05 wagons will fit the 06? The ones for the 06 carry a separate stock number, look different and are sold invidually rather than as a set of four.
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Posts: 42
    I just sold my 2000 9-5 Aero Wagon. This was my third Saab and the first one that was not real reliable with regards to repairs. I had way too many problems for a $40,000 car. I sold it at 112,000 miles and bought a Dodge Magnum R/T AWD. I wanted a high performance wagon with AWD and Saab hasn't figured out yet how to build a 9-5 wagon with AWD. While the Aero was a great car it was severely hampered by FWD with regards to performance. The Dodge is awesome - 5.7 liter hemi w/ 340hp. It does 0-60 in 5.9 secs. And it goes anywhere in the upstate New York winter with AWD and four snows. Better winter performance than the Saab thanks to the AWD.
  • hey bro what year saturn rims will fit on the saab 9-5?
    I don't know what year the saturn rims were for. They were for the L100 or L200 and since they were new, I suppose they were likely similar year to my car (01). The tire dealer sourced them for me (not Saab - even though the Saab dealers in Canada also sell Saturn). I think the Catera rims fits as well. The rims were half the price of Saab rims.

Note that my car is not an Aero model.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Posts: 178
    Any Saturn L Series and Cadillac Catera wheels will fit the Saab 9-5 because all three cars are based on the same chassis. The three cars are nothing alike however.

If you have an Aero or 2002 or newer 9-5 a minimum of 16" wheels are needed to clear the calipers, otherwise 15" wheels will fit. Used alloy wheels are not expensive or hard to find on places like ebay. Just search for "Saab Wheels". I have two sets and run summer only tires in the summer, and winter only tires in the winter. That way I maximize the performance for each season. All-season tires only maximize mediocrity in all seasons.

- Chad