Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• nelsoncmnelsoncm Posts: 103
    Yeah, I'd go with the new one. Bcool is right, either they're certified or not before they put them up for sale. If it's not already certified, I'd wonder why??? You're only paying roughly $2000 more for the brand new one and getting 15,000 more miles out of it. Warranty or not, once a car gets up around 80K miles, it starts needing lots of things, more time in the shop, etc. I doubt the extended warranty will cover everything. Go new and good luck!
  • stmssstmss Posts: 206
    Go with the new. Not enough differential in price not to. I have bought a number of demos in the past and usually expect and get 4-8k less in price - minimum depending on how close to year end and how many miles.
  • I appreciate the information everyone has shared. I'm leaning toward the new one as well, ... Will be making a decision very soon, and seeing if the dealer will go any lower, the $30470 seems like a very good price, but we'll see.
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    O.K...Where to begin.First off,the new car has 4 yrs./50K. bumper to bumper.The Executive car has either the balance of the original 4yr./50k. OR if you choose to have it certified it has a TOTAL coverage of 6yrs./100k.from original warranty date.The comment regarding costs,warranty or not at 80k.,are wrong ...thats what the 6yr./80k. warranty is covering!As to Bcool's comment on oil changes....No,Saab's maintenance schedule is once every 12 mos.or 10,000 miles ,whichever comes first.Mobil One full synthetic is used in all Saabs,there is no 30 day oil change needed or part of the schedule.
    As to which car is the better choice,based on how fast you rack up mileage I think the Executive car w/certification is the better way to go.
    Well, after leaving saab and going the suv route just 3 months ago, I'm back in a new 06 9-5 wagon and pretty darn happy about it. I so missed those comfy seats, even if this one doesn't have the ventilated ones, and my HK stereo. Hopefully it will be relatively trouble-free. This one is smoke beige with the visability pkg. (like Saabs need better visability, but it's just what came on this one.) Didn't have roof rails on this one, so I'm ordering the alternative roof rack for sportcombi's w/out the rails -- don't know how that will work, but we'll see. Plus I'm getting the back windows tinted this time -- my son will like that. Got $5000 off invoice at Santa Ana Saab in California. Hopefully my sale will help prop Saab up a fraction of a second longer ; )
  • bcoolbcool Posts: 59
    Congratulations. Good luck with it. I got the windows on my Aero Wagon tinted also. Santa Ana SAAB had a company come in to do it. Got the rear ones medium and the front ones a lighter tint. It was only a little extra for the fronts. Well the car stay's nice and cool, and looks a lot better.
    Did you go for the new Saab yet? Having just traded my Jeep for a new 9-5 wagon (06), I can tell you I didn't get it for $31 K even with $5000 off invoice. You're getting a screaming deal if you take it! Let us know what you choose.
  • sidvsidv Posts: 63
    Considering an '07 9-5 SportCombi to replace my '04 9-3 Arc sedan and was just curious if there's much in the way of road/tire noise from the 9-5 SportCombi-I've read some criticism about the 9-5 generally in this area and frequently wagons are worse here than their sedan counterparts. Just wondering what people think about this.

Also, if anyone else has moved from a current generation 9-3 to a current 9-5 I'd love to hear what they liked or didn't like about the switch.
    Just take it on the freeway and judge for yourself. My old arc wagon had a lot of road noise. My new one doesn't seem as noisy. This one has the 17 " wheels, my old had 16", don't know if that helps or hinders. Also, my old wagon had roof rails, my new one doesn't. Saabs aren't generally known for their quietness, but you need to the judge -- just get it out on the open road, tell the salesman to shut up and drive. Also, drive with the windows/sunroof closed, open, etc. (except the rear windows will do the "wooba wooba" thing, but most cars do.) I drove one that had a horrible squeal coming off the front windows when they were open at cruising speed, so I went with a different one and it's fine. Good luck.
  • Have not done it yet. The dealer sold the one I had my eye on, but has another one (Blue) with Sport package. MSRP is a little higher, $38815 I believe, and is the last '06 they have. They're offering $9k off sticker, so I'm waiting to see what the internet salesperson will offer me for my car in trade...
    My God, where do you live that they are offering $9K off sticker? I got a measly $5k off invoice. Good but not great, but then I don't have energy or the patience to haggle. There aren't many 06's left on the planet, good luck to you! :) ">
  • rs9904rs9904 Posts: 15
    One day with my new 9-5 sportcombi. Parchment Silver, auto, roof rails. Also have a 04 9-3 and traded in my 99 9-3 with 99,500 reliable fun miles.

New car is large inside but not real big on the outside. Very smooth ride. Good fuel economy on the computer with only 55 miles on the SID. Power is excellent. More luggage capacity, fuel economy and power than it's competitors. I am happy.

anthony
    Congrats Anthony. I test drove a 9-5 2.3T SportCombi this evening and am leaning toward it vs a 9-3 Aero SportCombi but it's a tough call. I have an 04 9-3 now as well so I like to hear someone with experience with both cars happy with the 9-5.
    Thanks for the advice. I test drove one tonight without the roof rails and it wasn't noisy but then the freeway wasn't close enough to get to from that dealer. The car seemed fairly quiet, certainly engine noise isn't a problem. Forgot to open the windows though, I'll need to get another test in before committing I guess.
    Don't know where everyone went but I guess I'll talk to myself. Took delivery of a new 9-5 2.3T SC a little over a month ago and overall am quite happy with it but have already had a couple of issues. Remote key fob had to be replaced but still the keyless entry system gets confused and inoperative for short periods. Not bad enough to bother going to the dealer for yet another time. Much worse, the check engine light went on the first week and car began driving poorly. This was fairly quickly rectified and so far the dealer has been very good.

Other than that, I like the car itself quite a bit, the engine at cold idle could be smoother considering what it costs and the stereo is just so-so, but those are really my only complaints. The brake pedal has taken some getting used to-more effort required than other cars I've recently had but it's become second nature by now.

I've found it to be a very comfortable, roomy, practical yet fun car with a great balance between utility and sport. Very little turbo lag, especially compared to my previous 9-3 2.0T. It is an excellent highway car for comfortable longer trips and has unique looks which I happen to really like.
  • rs9904rs9904 Posts: 15
    I check here often but it seems that most Saab owners are on more specific Saab only sites rather than Edmunds. I am not a fan of these very specific forums that Edmunds has created. I liked the larger more inclusive format better.

My car has been very reliable so far (only 1700 miles.) I agree cold idle is a bit rough. Brake pedal I have gotten used to as well (Had 99 9-3 wife has 04 Linear.)I think that the stereo is fantastic with very good sound and easy use.

Gas is great on highway 30+ and city 20+. Tranny is smooth, seats comfy so far, and is easy to load when using hatch area. Just got windows tinted on my 06 Sportcombi (Parchment Silver) and it looks great as well. Wheels are very nice with much reduced brake dust. Overall I am pleased so far and planto keep well over 10 years.

Anthony
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Um, we've got the "larger, more inclusive formats" right here in this 9-5 group... :confuse:
    I think maybe what he means is that there are 7 sub-forums under the 9-5 alone and no single 9-5 forum that encompasses all 9-5 related subjects.
  • saablcpsaablcp Posts: 195
    Took delivery of my '06 9-5 sedan in late March of 2006.Had cold start,rough idle problem initially.My service manager gave me a can of some sort of injector cleaner and that was the last of the problem!Coming up on 9,000 miles of zero problems otherwise.
  • I also have '06 9-5 sedan. Purchased as a demo, now have 8,000 + miles. Very slight rough idle at cold start, but it's gone in 30 seconds. IMO, the 2.3T has more "roughness" to it than many V6's with the same power - but I really like the character of it. I had a loaner Acura TL and the engine was as smooth as butter - and about exciting as a stick of butter too! I was bored by the end of the day.

For the record, I also have zero problems to report for the 9-5!